Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:13 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

So, here we have a perfect illustration of the point I've been making. Katroof apparently has me blocked (it has been evident in other threads, also). Yet, she comes into my thread and throws her perspective around, while not listening to anything I have to say. Why would she participate in my thread since she blocked me she must think that I am one of those who, in her words, have "persistently negative behavior."

Why is she in my thread, then? If I'm such a bad person, such a negative influence, yet she is basically using the block feature to create for herself a bully pulpit where she can 'innocently' not read my posts (and others') and simply assert her dominance.

That's not polite or respectful; nor is it conducive to group study. It's dysfunctional.

The forum already has rules for dealing with inappropriate behavior. Why aren't those enough? Why must some be so sensitive that they cannot bear reading views they don't like?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

For example, I'd really like to understand Katroof's thoughts on the point I made earlier:

Katroof wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget, it's the attack that is being blocked, not the person.

That’s simply not true. You ARE blocking the person; you cannot see any of the constructive, well-researched posts made by those you’ve blocked ….

Yet she will never explain herself because she has her hands over her ears whenever I say anything. That's just rude.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Quote:
Jesus didn't bother to defend his rights.

Exactly. Did Jesus only listen to those who were nice to him? Did he refuse to teach those who belittled him? Did he instruct his disciples to cover their ears and cower if someone hurt their feelings? Of course not! He wasn’t running a preschool.

But the master had enormous resources and advanced character development that not so many have. Even as a child who was physically helpless in front of bullies, protector friends came to his rescue.

Quote:
And neither are we.

Far too often it doesn't feel that way. In my opinion the standard of behavior and exhibition of mutual respect here is very, very much below the internet standard for scientific and professional level education forums.

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
Even as a child who was physically helpless in front of bullies, protector friends came to his rescue.

That's true. I forgot about that. Thankfully Jesus had friends who cared enough to do that for him. It's such a blessing.

PostPosted:  

I don't think Jesus was ever "Physically helpless". That's just my opinion, of course. But don't worry, I won't block you! :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
For example, I'd really like to understand Katroof's thoughts on the point I made earlier:

Katroof wrote:
Quote:
Don't forget, it's the attack that is being blocked, not the person.

That’s simply not true. You ARE blocking the person; you cannot see any of the constructive, well-researched posts made by those you’ve blocked ….

Yet she will never explain herself because she has her hands over her ears whenever I say anything. That's just rude.

Well, I don't personally like the friend and foe labels, and I personally and hopefully wouldn't use the blocking option, but it is after all, an option provided by the forum. It is her prerogative whether anyone agrees with it or not. But it's not gang up on Kat time because she chooses to use the blocking option.

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Jesus didn't bother to defend his rights.

Exactly. Did Jesus only listen to those who were nice to him? Did he refuse to teach those who belittled him? Did he instruct his disciples to cover their ears and cower if someone hurt their feelings? Of course not! He wasn’t running a preschool.

But the master had enormous resources and advanced character development that not so many have. Even as a child who was physically helpless in front of bullies, protector friends came to his rescue.

Quote:
And neither are we.

Far too often it doesn't feel that way. In my opinion the standard of behavior and exhibition of mutual respect here is very, very much below the internet standard for scientific and professional level education forums.

I think that pretty much sums it up Riktare.

PostPosted:  

I am merely suggesting a short-term experiment to see how we might evolve as a community in the direction of self-mastery. I truly don’t understand why that is threatening to so many of us here.

Such fear of trying something new - trusting one another and demonstrating Jesus’ attitude of turning the other cheek if something unpleasant does happen - says a lot about the nature of the community. It’s a shame, really.

PostPosted:  

how about we show the self mastery and then there would be no need for someone to block someone else

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
I don't think Jesus was ever "Physically helpless". That's just my opinion, of course. But don't worry, I won't block you! :biggrin:

Yes, you're right. I remember thinking more like "unwilling to fight and physically smaller". Good expression is an art form and sometimes we miss the mark :)

PostPosted:  

I think the block feature is good to have. Most people don't like being badgered and stalked. And it is reasonable to assume no one feels like facing yet another barrage of attacks everyday by the same individual(s). I think women are move vulnerable in this respect and do really have to be cautious. Blocking is a tool and should be available to all until aggressive behaviors and mean-spiritedness subside (around the dawn of L&L) :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

pethuel wrote:
how about we show the self mastery and then there would be no need for someone to block someone else

Bingo. Finally, someone sees where I’m going with this. Self-mastery on everyone’s part.

PostPosted:  

rick warren wrote:

I think the block feature is good to have. Most people don't like being badgered and stalked. And it is reasonable to assume no one feels like facing yet another barrage of attacks everyday by the same individual(s). I think women are move vulnerable in this respect and do really have to be cautious. Blocking is a tool and should be available to all until aggressive behaviors and mean-spiritedness subside (around the dawn of L&L) :biggrin:

Stalking, attacking and badgering are in violation of forum rules, so a block button is extraneous in those those extremely rare cases. As a woman who has been active in this forum for many years, I have not seen *a single case* of stalking. Again with the fear.

Jesus said “Fear not.”

PostPosted:  

Just want to add that if I ever were truly being stalked on this forum, the LAST thing I would do is use the block button and go on merrily posting while being blind to the actions of someone who has ill intent toward me. I would report the stalking to the moderator and take a break from the forum until I felt comfortable participating.

Someone earlier mentioned forum behavior reminding them of an abusive spouse. If I had an abusive spouse I would definitely not ignore him! I would leave.

Nothing that happens in our discussions is that extreme, unless we all take ourselves much too seriously.

PostPosted:  

Those here who think that Bonita, the lady in question, is shy or timid or meek or weak or unable to be ferociously indignant and confrontational certainly does not know Bonita! And who has stalked her here? Such exaggerations of concern. For a very dominate personality with many years of experience here and other public forums with a well earned reputation for give AND take. You should consider a more worthy or actual victim for your concerns.

The block is childish and I believe socially tactical in this case. And obviously working! C'mon Rick...you believe Bonita to be badgered, stalked, and attacked here? And defenseless? You certainly know better than that....hahaha. The woman has removed my head and plattered it several times...mostly a long, long time ago and I deserved it!

She has certainly held her own here since her return too. Lots of sizzle, snap, crackle, and pop...sassy (that's a compliment). I'm glad she's here...if confused by some of her antics. Indeed, I have encouraged her return here several times these last 8 years. She has nothing to fear from me....and sure as heck knows it too!!!!!

Blocking me here is quite calculated for community effect. Effective too as I watch the uninformed swoon to her broken wing enactment. Simply amazing. Bravo.

8) :? :?:

Last edited by fanofVan on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:47 am +0000, edited 6 times in total.