Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:26 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted:  

Makalu wrote:
it's talking about a certain planet in Light & Life here:

Quote:
55:3.7 (625.6) The natural resources of this planet were administered as social possessions, community property.

it's not presented as any kind of law but it occurs to me that it's impossible to be a good steward if we aren't really the steward. when the owners all live downstream and downwind from the pollution it wouldn't be accepted. and all society would benefit...rather than let ceo's pile up more money than they can spend in a lifetime the way we do now.

@ nosophist: it's neither fair nor factual to characterize the environmental movement by one naive politician who's ideas were soundly rejected by both sides of the aisle. well not unless you at least present some of the oppositions proposals to solve problems like sweeping the forest...just to balance out the wisdom....

Agreed
But I’m not certain that anyone has communicated exactly what the environmental movement is.
Much fanaticism and deceit imho.
I worked in the wastewater treatment industry for over 40 years and still do consulting.
Environmental management hands on. Making clean water out of dirty water.
Plant operators are hamstrung by bureaucrats that want to make a name for themselves, they make regulations by the seat of their pants that may or may not be practical and most won’t even go near a sewage treatment plant.
Think about this scenario: California’s governor will ration our water domestic usage very soon.
We will be limited to 50 gallons per person per day.
The states multibillion dollar wastewater treatment facilities (treatment plants and collection systems) have for many decades been designed for 100 gallons per person per day. Does the governor consider what the impact will be on these systems operationally? ? Nope. Water rationing is a ruse, the water they take from us is destined for wealthy agriculture in Southern California where cache crops are grown. Everyone knows it but it is sold to us as environmental stewardship.
The trust is not happening.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

well see now the way you characterize AB-1668 is not really accurate either since you didnt even account for residential outdoor water usage which is more than indoor usage. nor will there really be a per person indoor daily limit but rather a per capita water district limit and regardless 50 gallons a day per person won't hurt you one bit...it's more than many europeans get. nor will the water saved automatically be used by socal farmers...they're being asked to ration and curtail usage too.

when all you want to do is whine about other people who are trying to solve a very real problem it's just another example of "any fool can nitpick and find problems, but not solutions"

Quote:
The two bills, AB 1668 and SB 606, set general guidelines for water agencies to follow in California's post-drought era.

Water agencies will be encouraged to have their customers limit indoor water use to an average of 55 gallons a day per person, declining to 50 gallons by 2030.

But that's just a target a water district will be asked to meet across its ratepayer base, as part of a broader "water budget" strategy.

Assemblywoman Laura Friedman, D-Glendale, author of AB 1668, accused Zero Hedge, Nunes and others of spreading "pure fiction."

"I wish people would stop scaring people with this sort of thing," she said.

Under the bills Brown signed, individual water agencies will be required to factor in the 55-gallon target into their water-efficiency goals, but it's just one part of a utility's conservation calculations.

State regulators in consultation with local water agencies also will set limits on how much water can be used to water lawns and fill swimming pools. Outdoor use accounts for the lion's share of total residential consumption in much of California.

But those outdoor standards will vary greatly from one district to the next. The legislation allows for places like Sacramento with comparatively large yards and hot, dry summers to use more water outdoors than in foggy coastal regions where yards are small and cool weather lessens the need to water as much.

The new rules also encourage water providers to replace leaky infrastructure. Ancient pipes and crumbling water mains account for millions of gallons of wasted water statewide.

The idea behind the legislation is that all those factors — the indoor standards, the limits on outdoor water use, making water systems more efficient — will be built into a utility's "water budget."

"The only thing the water supplier is going to be measured on is, 'Are they within budget?' " said Max Gomberg, climate and conservation manager with the State Water Resources Control Board.

Zero Hedge claimed that Californians will get fined if if they shower and wash clothes on the same day because a single load of laundry will consume 40 gallons of water alone.

But that claim doesn't hold water either.

While 20 years ago, an inefficient top-loading washer might use 40 gallons, most high efficiency washers now use between 9 and 26 gallons per load, according to Consumer Reports.

Californians have been switching to these more efficient washers as their old machines wear out, along with their old shower heads, toilets and dishwashers, Gomberg said.

Plus, even if you have a 40-gallon washer, each person living in your household probably won't run separate loads of laundry every day. And, even if they do, their neighbor probably won't.

Remember, it's the average per capita water use across a district that counts.

All those factors combined is why Gomberg is optimistic that Californians can hit those targets.

Several cities, including San Francisco and Santa Cruz, already average less than 55 gallons per person per day for both indoor and outdoor use, he said.

Gomberg's home in the Bay Area uses 25 to 35 gallons of water per person daily, even with "a toilet that isn't ... even as efficient as some of the newer models, I'm embarrassed to say."

Gomberg said the 55-gallon figure isn't new. State lawmakers set it as the standard for indoor use almost 10 years ago, an amount that is greater than what's allowed in many European countries.

So what about those $1,000 fines?

Eventually, the new legislation says water providers not following the rules could face fines of up to $1,000 a day, and more if the governor declares a drought emergency.

But it's the water agencies — not individual ratepayers — that would get the fines. Sure, a district could pass those costs onto your water bill, but think dollars and cents instead of thousands out of your bank account.

So how difficult would it be to meet the 55-gallon standard?

Not very, according to estimates by the Alliance for Water Efficiency.

Imagine a family of four living in a home with old, inefficient toilets, old faucets, old shower heads, an old dishwasher and a 40-gallon washing machine. If they took four eight-minute showers, washed a load of clothes and did a load of dishes each day, they would use just under 60 gallons per person per day.

Replace the washing machine with a high efficiency front loader, and the family — without upgrading toilets, sinks, shower heads or the dish washer — would use about 54 gallons per person per day.

PostPosted:  

This is a little story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, and Nobody.

There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it.

Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.

Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job.

Everybody thought that Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it.

It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

When it comes to being good stewards of our planet's climate and natural resources, everybody has to sacrifice something. Everybody has to do their share in their little corner of the planet.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
well see now the way you characterize AB-1668 is not really accurate either since you didnt even account for residential outdoor water usage which is more than indoor usage. nor will there really be a per person indoor daily limit but rather a per capita water district limit and regardless 50 gallons a day per person won't hurt you one bit...

Just a caveat here...

Before this thread is veers off into local politics, please bring it back to the topic as it relates to The Urantia Book. I have bolded the guidelines that allow such discussions.

Quote:
The Jesusonian Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) Nonprofit Religious Foundation. Organizations with this classification are prohibited from conducting political campaign activities to influence elections to public office. Consequently, discussions about political campaigns, political parties, an individual's or group's political leanings, or politicians are not allowed and will be deleted. Nevertheless, one is permitted to discuss the issues of governance and administration, and ethical behavior, as they appear in the Urantia Book.

the management

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Quote:
well see now the way you characterize AB-1668 is not really accurate either since you didnt even account for residential outdoor water usage which is more than indoor usage. nor will there really be a per person indoor daily limit but rather a per capita water district limit and regardless 50 gallons a day per person won't hurt you one bit...

Just a caveat here...

Before this thread is veers off into local politics, please bring it back to the topic as it relates to The Urantia Book. I have bolded the guidelines that allow such discussions.

Quote:
The Jesusonian Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) Nonprofit Religious Foundation. Organizations with this classification are prohibited from conducting political campaign activities to influence elections to public office. Consequently, discussions about political campaigns, political parties, an individual's or group's political leanings, or politicians are not allowed and will be deleted. Nevertheless, one is permitted to discuss the issues of governance and administration, and ethical behavior, as they appear in the Urantia Book.

the management

Dang, just when I was going to bring up Jefferson state.
I will end my rant, sorry.

PostPosted:  

On a hopeful note, I do think there are scientific advancements that have the potential to significantly reduce the rate of climate change. Renewable sources of energy; low-emissions vehicles; increased use of mass transit, particularly using electric vehicles; more efficient battery-charging technologies; food alternatives to reduce consumption of meat; there is even a company in Canada that is taking carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere and then using it to produce fuel.

The UB predicts that man will one day attain relative mastery over the physical forces of the planet.

Quote:
118:10.14 Man's increasing control—the gradual accumulation of the knowledge of the laws of the material world, the purposes of spiritual existence, and the possibilities of the philosophic co- ordination of these two realities. Man, the savage, was helpless before the onslaughts of natural forces, was slavish before the cruel mastery of his own inner fears. Semicivilized man is beginning to unlock the storehouse of the secrets of the natural realms, and his science is slowly but effectively destroying his superstitions while at the same time providing a new and enlarged factual basis for the comprehension of the meanings of philosophy and the values of true spiritual experience. Man, the civilized, will someday achieve relative mastery of the physical forces of his planet; the love of God in his heart will be effectively outpoured as love for his fellow men, while the values of human existence will be nearing the limits of mortal capacity.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
Quote:

Just a caveat here...

Quote:

the management

I’ll put altruism in the mix with the hope of not violating guidelines??
I completely understand the per capita scenario
The fact remains that Kern county ground elevation fell about 25 feet because of excessive groundwater extraction, Colorado river is drained, a fly over So Cal reveals many swimming pools and green lawns and gardens in abundance, quite the opposite up here where all is brown, families and most agriculture are drip irrigating.
It’s no secret that it is cheaper to steal water from the north than to desalinate ocean water and all of the talking points about the AB’s is like p-ing down my back and telling me it’s rain.
Cal is a criminal state, altruism is just about nonexistent in government.
One scientific fact is supported: for any given community divide population into flow into wastewater treatment plant and the average is always 100 gal/person/day, as designed. Excludes outdoor usage as stated.
Sorry if I violated guidelines, promise to end it here.

PostPosted:  

Humans are imperfect. Government is made up of humans and is, therefore, imperfect. Does that mean no one should try?

Nosophist, I think you said it well, back on page 1 of this thread where you wrote: "We certainly will continue to make our mistakes but we will evolve and Urantia will survive."

There are some good politicians out there. Not to get into politics, so I won't provide a link or a name, but here is one California politician's approach to water management that I would say is far from 'criminal' and perhaps moves in the direction of altruism.

Quote:
My bill reflects four basic principles that should guide Congress in responding to this and future droughts:

Do no harm—ours is a complex system, and we should not redirect impacts or micromanage it from Washington.
No water wars—end attempts to gut environmental laws and take water from other regions. Solutions must respect environmental and water quality laws, and benefit every region impacted by this drought.
Think long-term—we should respond not just to the immediate crisis but build drought resiliency for the future.
Process matters—successful water initiatives require transparency, inclusiveness, and deliberation. Back room deals and secret water grabs invariably create more problems than they solve.

I’ve been reaching out to stakeholders, economists, farmers, conservationists, and California’s top water managers to make my bill the best it can be. Before I formally introduce it, I’d like you to join them in giving your feedback.

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
On a hopeful note, I do think there are scientific advancements that have the potential to significantly reduce the rate of climate change. Renewable sources of energy; low-emissions vehicles; increased use of mass transit, particularly using electric vehicles; more efficient battery-charging technologies; food alternatives to reduce consumption of meat; there is even a company in Canada that is taking carbon dioxide directly from the atmosphere and then using it to produce fuel.

Will that solve the problems of homelessness, mental illness, hunger, poverty, delinquency, crime and addiction? You know, the people problems?

PostPosted:  

no sophist writes:

Quote:
I’ll put altruism in the mix with the hope of not violating guidelines??
I completely understand the per capita scenario
The fact remains that Kern county ground elevation fell about 25 feet because of excessive groundwater extraction, Colorado river is drained, a fly over So Cal reveals many swimming pools and green lawns and gardens in abundance, quite the opposite up here where all is brown, families and most agriculture are drip irrigating.
It’s no secret that it is cheaper to steal water from the north than to desalinate ocean water and all of the talking points about the AB’s is like p-ing down my back and telling me it’s rain.
Cal is a criminal state, altruism is just about nonexistent in government.
One scientific fact is supported: for any given community divide population into flow into wastewater treatment plant and the average is always 100 gal/person/day, as designed. Excludes outdoor usage as stated.
Sorry if I violated guidelines, promise to end it here.

Looks like what may be missing here is moral power and/or spiritual energy. I have always loved this passage...

Quote:
" Religion is the exclusively spiritual experience of the evolving immortal soul of the God-knowing man, but moral power and spiritual energy are mighty forces which may be utilized in dealing with difficult social situations and in solving intricate economic problems. These moral and spiritual endowments make all levels of human living richer and more meaningful.

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-156-the-sojourn-at-tyre-and-sidon#U156_5_10

It is indeed depressing when we see the playing out of gross inequality - in government and elsewhere. How does the average citizen make moral power and spiritual energy players in these situations? Are we limited to prayer? Letter-writing? Organizing? Or does the average person just have to bite the bullet and wait for leaders who have such qualities?

PostPosted:  

Agon D. Onter wrote:
Humans are imperfect. Government is made up of humans and is, therefore, imperfect. Does that mean no one should try?

Nosophist, I think you said it well, back on page 1 of this thread where you wrote: "We certainly will continue to make our mistakes but we will evolve and Urantia will survive."

There are some good politicians out there. Not to get into politics, so I won't provide a link or a name, but here is one California politician's approach to water management that I would say is far from 'criminal' and perhaps moves in the direction of altruism.

Quote:
My bill reflects four basic principles that should guide Congress in responding to this and future droughts:

Do no harm—ours is a complex system, and we should not redirect impacts or micromanage it from Washington.
No water wars—end attempts to gut environmental laws and take water from other regions. Solutions must respect environmental and water quality laws, and benefit every region impacted by this drought.
Think long-term—we should respond not just to the immediate crisis but build drought resiliency for the future.
Process matters—successful water initiatives require transparency, inclusiveness, and deliberation. Back room deals and secret water grabs invariably create more problems than they solve.

I’ve been reaching out to stakeholders, economists, farmers, conservationists, and California’s top water managers to make my bill the best it can be. Before I formally introduce it, I’d like you to join them in giving your feedback.

Good one, thx.
I worked in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1986 when the population was much lower and there was a real drought.
People were also well informed, much better than today, and almost everyone voluntarily reduced water usage and conserved, no AB’s or other laws were required. Real science and accurate honest reporting to the public made the difference. As a side note, at the peak of this drought and water conservation efforts, flows to treatment facilities fell to about 50 gal/person/day.
True science is so important, just as important as altruism and honesty. Individuals and communities tend to respond positively when we perceive these qualities.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
It is indeed depressing when we see the playing out of gross inequality - in government and elsewhere. How does the average citizen make moral power and spiritual energy players in these situations? Are we limited to prayer? Letter-writing? Organizing? Or does the average person just have to bite the bullet and wait for leaders who have such qualities?

The Revelation informs us that the best government is the representative type with a balance of power between its executive, legislative and judicial branches.

(797.13) 70:12.1 The great struggle in the evolution of government has concerned the concentration of power. The universe administrators have learned from experience that the evolutionary peoples on the inhabited worlds are best regulated by the representative type of civil government when there is maintained proper balance of power between the well-co-ordinated executive, legislative, and judicial branches.

It then goes on to tell us that the executive branch should be selected from the most competent and worthy among us. The legislative branch is the voice of public opinion so those members should be chosen only from those who are intellectually and morally responsible. Judges should only be those with natural ability and wisdom derived from plenty of experience.

(798.4) 70:12.5 Urantia mortals are entitled to liberty; they should create their systems of government; they should adopt their constitutions or other charters of civil authority and administrative procedure. And having done this, they should select their most competent and worthy fellows as chief executives. For representatives in the legislative branch they should elect only those who are qualified intellectually and morally to fulfill such sacred responsibilities. As judges of their high and supreme tribunals only those who are endowed with natural ability and who have been made wise by replete experience should be chosen.

I don't really think that the electorate today always takes these factors into consideration when voting. Most votes are based upon feelings and emotions rather than any of the criteria mentioned above. I'm convinced that elections today are primarily won by emotional manipulation rather than facts. We know that anything that instills guilt and fear, or promises retribution will stir the animal spirits of the masses. Education is really the key and I don't think the education system is serving society well. One of the things we can do is refuse to vote based upon emotions, or allow our feelings and sentiments to be manipulated by politicians. Demand more information and proof that their claims and promised fixes are factual. Do your homework and hold them accountable. And never vote as if politics is a team sport. Your team will always be a paragon of virtue and the other team will always be Satan incarnate – not a good way to pick leaders.

Reading a little further on in Paper 70, there's a list of things that must be avoided in government. One of them seems appropriate to the issue under discussion: disastrous disruption of panics. Once any branch of government endorses any of these things we are warned to prevent, I truly think there is a grave risk to government stability. Before going in whole-hog on the panic of man-made climate change, think deep and long about it, consider all the facts and don't forget to look behind the curtain to see who is manipulating the controls over the perpetuation of the panic. Are your emotions being manipulated? If so, why?

PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
Agon D. Onter wrote:

Will that solve the problems of homelessness, mental illness, hunger, poverty, delinquency, crime and addiction? You know, the people problems?

Sadly, people problems will always be with us; at least until our planet achieves the stage of Light and Life. Over many years, the problems you list above will be addressed to more or less sucess; but new people problems will arise in their place. UB tells us that ours is a troubled planet, due, in part, to not getting the entire benefit of the intended upstepping of our genetics.

Of course, the only way to fully eradicate crime, delinqency and addiction would be to eradicate free will. UB tells us free will is sovereign.

PostPosted:  

As we all well know, our problems are not solvable from the bottom up, but from the top down.
Quote:
52:6.2 Even on normal evolutionary worlds the realization of the world-wide brotherhood of man is not an easy accomplishment. On a confused and disordered planet like Urantia such an achievement requires a much longer time and necessitates far greater effort. Unaided social evolution can hardly achieve such happy results on a spiritually isolated sphere. Religious revelation is essential to the realization of brotherhood on Urantia. While Jesus has shown the way to the immediate attainment of spiritual brotherhood, the realization of social brotherhood on your world depends much on the achievement of the following personal transformations and planetary adjustments:

1. Social fraternity. Multiplication of international and interracial social contacts and fraternal associations through travel, commerce, and competitive play. Development of a common language and the multiplication of multilinguists. The racial and national interchange of students, teachers, industrialists, and religious philosophers.

2. Intellectual cross-fertilization.Brotherhood is impossible on a world whose inhabitants are so primitive that they fail to recognize the folly of unmitigated selfishness. There must occur an exchange of national and racial literature. Each race must become familiar with the thought of all races; each nation must know the feelings of all nations. Ignorance breeds suspicion, and suspicion is incompatible with the essential attitude of sympathy and love.

3. Ethical awakening. Only ethical consciousness can unmask the immorality of human intolerance and the sinfulness of fratricidal strife. Only a moral conscience can condemn the evils of national envy and racial jealousy. Only moral beings will ever seek for that spiritual insight which is essential to living the golden rule.

4. Political wisdom. Emotional maturity is essential to self-control. Only emotional maturity will insure the substitution of international techniques of civilized adjudication for the barbarous arbitrament of war. Wise statesmen will sometime work for the welfare of humanity even while they strive to promote the interest of their national or racial groups. Selfish political sagacity is ultimately suicidal—destructive of all those enduring qualities which insure planetary group survival.

5. Spiritual insight. The brotherhood of man is, after all, predicated on the recognition of the fatherhood of God. The quickest way to realize the brotherhood of man on Urantia is to effect the spiritual transformation of present-day humanity. The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man.

Civilization as a whole, has a moral, ethical, spiritual destiny as does each individual. In as much as there are no short cuts, our need of coming to terms with these kinds of issues should drive our soul growth as much as it drives our political ferver.

We may, as Brad says, live in a friendly universe, but we don't live on a very friendly planet. Planetarily we may be in for "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" but spiritually we must strive and struggle to live up to our spiritual best practices as we share the victory of living real with God.

My sister believes the climate issue is the number one issue facing mankind. The Urantia Book says the greatest issue is our lack of focus on God and his righteousness.

Jim

PostPosted:  

Quote:
We may, as Brad says, live in a friendly universe, but we don't live on a very friendly planet. Planetarily we may be in for "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" but spiritually we must strive and struggle to live up to our spiritual best practices as we share the victory of living real with God.

Jesus said that he believed the universe was friendly to him, all appearances to the contrary...and he was murdered!

I know I agree with Jesus, but I also agree with you, Jim, when you observe that this planet is not particularly friendly right now. It's such a dark world, and we have so far to go before we pull ourselves up and out of the pit. The five inspiring "personal transformations and planetary adjustments" that you posted are so beautiful...but we need the power of religious revelation to make it. The world needs The Urantia Book!

Quote:
1. Social fraternity. Multiplication of international and interracial social contacts and fraternal associations through travel, commerce, and competitive play. Development of a common language and the multiplication of multilinguists. The racial and national interchange of students, teachers, industrialists, and religious philosophers.

2. Intellectual cross-fertilization.Brotherhood is impossible on a world whose inhabitants are so primitive that they fail to recognize the folly of unmitigated selfishness. There must occur an exchange of national and racial literature. Each race must become familiar with the thought of all races; each nation must know the feelings of all nations. Ignorance breeds suspicion, and suspicion is incompatible with the essential attitude of sympathy and love.

It seems to me that these two are at least somewhat active on our world. The internet is certainly a factor in the "cross-fertilization" of cultures and "multiplication of international and interracial social contacts." I love the internet!

I wonder - if climate change really is going to be as bad as some predict - I wonder if it will be enough to galvanize even politicians and the super-rich to stop what they're doing for their own interests and pay attention. But then again, we have to remember what Jesus said about "What does it matter...?

Quote:
Kingdom builders, the accredited citizens of the heavenly worlds, are not to be disturbed by temporal upheavals or perturbed by terrestrial cataclysms. What does it matter to you who believe this gospel of the kingdom if nations overturn, the age ends, or all things visible crash, since you know that your life is the gift of the Son, and that it is eternally secure in the Father? Having lived the temporal life by faith and having yielded the fruits of the spirit as the righteousness of loving service for your fellows, you can confidently look forward to the next step in the eternal career with the same survival faith that has carried you through your first and earthly adventure in sonship with God.

I find myself torn between wanting to do everything I can to help the planet and just adopting a more patient and universe view of it all...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next