Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:28 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Bible quotes
PostPosted:  

Paper 53 is one paper where bible quotes are used extensively, some are altered slightly by the author.
I suppose the rebellion and the evolutionary accounts of the devil make bible quotes ripe for pickings in order to convey truth about the real nature of the rebellion as well as to let us know how easy it is to turn the mind completely around so that iniquity appears as moral and just to the iniquitier as the gospel does to a religionist.
Beyond that and what makes me curious is these bible quotes were used as opposed to drawing from the Midwayers experiences as revealed in part 4 of the revelation.
Any thoughts as to why the author/s chose to use bible as opposed to part 4??
Same question could be applied to any bible quote in the book.
The answer seems obvious but I’ve not heard anyone talk about it before.
???

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Bible quotes
PostPosted:  

Rumor and apocrypha suggests that Part IV was not originally planned as part of the Epochal Revelation. It was received in-total rather than Paper by Paper...and later after Parts 1-3 were complete. Recall that the Foreward tells us that the authors were mandated to utilize, recite, and represent the highest concepts of humanity first and add revelation only as a supplement of clarification to reduce confusions and eliminate errors of perception, perspective, and knowledge of reality. Part IV is a narrative, a story. There are two distinctive styles of presentational organization and content being compared I think.

As I recall there are over 1000 human concepts and perhaps (?) 2000 unattributed quotes within the UB, many but not all of those are biblical in origin. There are many versions and translations of the Bible of course so wording is not uniformly precise but are easily recognized and researchable.

A research project about all the sources of the many quotes was published as an exhaustive book providing attribution as much as possible. It revealed that very little or no contents of Part IV are attributable to human sources or prior published material the researcher could find. Certainly many of the parables and sermons and events of the story of Jesus are also confirmations of biblical content with far more information presented about the Master's life and work than the Bible has ever offered.

8)

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
Beyond that and what makes me curious is these bible quotes were used as opposed to drawing from the Midwayers experiences as revealed in part 4 of the revelation.

Because revelation is meant to upstep current teachings. By referencing current teachings they are creating building blocks from evolutionary religion to revelatory religion. As the references below state, revelation must not be too far removed from the thought of the age in which they are presented. Using only the midwayer's version would be bypassing this vital step of allowing the authors to censor and expand current understanding. You do that by pointing out the relative truth provided by evolutionary religion and then providing illumination. It's what the mota teachers do on the mansion worlds, they start with human philosophy and then, by using the parallel technique, work to elevate those ideas to superphilosophy.

(1006.6) 92:3.9 Religion facilitated the accumulation of capital; it fostered work of certain kinds; the leisure of the priests promoted art and knowledge; the race, in the end, gained much as a result of all these early errors in ethical technique. The shamans, honest and dishonest, were terribly expensive, but they were worth all they cost. The learned professions and science itself emerged from the parasitical priesthoods. Religion fostered civilization and provided societal continuity; it has been the moral police force of all time. Religion provided that human discipline and self-control which made wisdom possible. Religion is the efficient scourge of evolution which ruthlessly drives indolent and suffering humanity from its natural state of intellectual inertia forward and upward to the higher levels of reason and wisdom.

(1006.7) 92:3.10 And this sacred heritage of animal ascent, evolutionary religion, must ever continue to be refined and ennobled by the continuous censorship of revealed religion and by the fiery furnace of genuine science.

(556.1) 48:7.1 The lower planes of morontia mota join directly with the higher levels of human philosophy. On the first mansion world it is the practice to teach the less advanced students by the parallel technique; that is, in one column are presented the more simple concepts of mota meanings, and in the opposite column citation is made of analogous statements of mortal philosophy.

PostPosted:  

Good answers, thank you both.
FOV - that publication you mention - name??
Thx again.

PostPosted:  

Such quotations of old scripture, are used to adjust olden concepts in their spiritual application or breadth.

There is more truth from the Japonese & Vedic & Sikh cultures that matches the philosophy of tUB, than do the Gospels & Acts found in the Bible. However, you will find more research connecting tUB with the Bible rather than any other historical documents.

In China, evolutionary religion was not terribly disrupted by rebellion. It might be helpful if you respect how that nation emerged in the modern world, with the identities of heaven and earth preserved with familiar connotations: neither is the earth too low nor the sky too high. Chinese heritage is not afflicted by the emotional or economic valuations of fact which would stigmatize concepts so as to make the one appear more desirable than the other.

PostPosted:  

The question is in the perspective of "what kind of concordance is the human individual seeking to discern, while reading tUB?" If one searches for the "exactitude of phrasing" as in the ability to recite the "formula" of a document, as in a file that cannot be altered in format or contextual nature. Or are you trying to actually find the concordance of the pattern in human logos, "the same quality as in life", as the whole heritage of Urantian Peoples. I understand fully "those who know" people who attempt to apply the logic "onto" another cultural context. But you are only living inside of your own culture: you would need to actually "blend", into the experiences other human individuals are sharing with you, to be a part of the overall experiences, in order to hear children give voice to the truth of the urantia book, simply by remaining active in their work and honest in their psychological yearning as such demand becomes individually expressible.

PostPosted:  

I would think the authors have a target group or primary audience. That audience is Judaeo-Christians. Others would receive the message also as the rest of the world orbits the Judaeo-Christian, Western realm because of the influence it holds. So it makes sense to me that they would use elements from the Judaeo-Christian religion to appeal to and win over the adherents.

no sophist wrote:
Paper 53 is one paper where bible quotes are used extensively, some are altered slightly by the author.
I suppose the rebellion and the evolutionary accounts of the devil make bible quotes ripe for pickings in order to convey truth about the real nature of the rebellion as well as to let us know how easy it is to turn the mind completely around so that iniquity appears as moral and just to the iniquitier as the gospel does to a religionist.
???

PostPosted:  

brooklyn_born wrote:
I would think the authors have a target group or primary audience. That audience is Judaeo-Christians. Others would receive the message also as the rest of the world orbits the Judaeo-Christian, Western realm because of the influence it holds. So it makes sense to me that they would use elements from the Judaeo-Christian religion to appeal to and win over the adherents.

no sophist wrote:
???

That's one opinion. So did the authors make up the story of Part IV then? Or is the Jesusonian Gospel the sequential prelude to the 5th Epocal Revelation?

I believe the revelators tell the factual history of both evolutionary religion and Epochal Revelations in a way that such truth and fact appeals universally whereby Christians may have a natural affinity...and perhaps Jews?

But Epochal Revelation is not a continuation or endorsement of any evolutionary religion.

Your opinion accuses the authors of the total inventions and distortion or intentional fictionalization of truth and fact and history to manipulate an audience and outcome based on fairy tales and fantasies.

I would deny and disagree with such a claim and presumption but that would be typical for one who does not believe the claims of the authors as in your case BB as has been established many times. Disbelief of the claims is no vice. But belief in the claims of the authors could never lead to such a claim and presumption.