Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:51 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The most basic way I can ask this question is if a town of say 10.000 (the population of Nauru) people were all UB readers (and believers), how would said town look like?

Would it affect external things like architecture, food, music, dress and festivals? Then what would the people be like in general? Would there be noticeably friendlier people who are less inclined to do drugs? How would the families be like (things like many or few children, living with grandparents or not, polygamy vs. monogamy, patriarchy or matriarchy)? Would there be a large amount of people of particular professions? I've read online that the teachings of the Urantia Book has much overlap with New Age beliefs. The New Age movement definitely has its own remarkable culture. Things like crystal therapy.

Muslims and Anabaptists have the most obvious external expressions of their faith and lifestyle. Would we readers have our own culture? It's hard to determine because UB readers collectively are not members of an organized religion (though some as individuals may be Christians or another religion) dictating what the rules of life are and the interpretation of the UB.

I know the UB emphasizes individual spiritual experience and I also know everyone is different, but are there any general trends among readers? The reason I ask this is because most of us here would say that the world needs the Urantia Book. So what would the fruits of living its teachings look like not just for the individual, but society?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Good question.
Let’s create such a community and find out what happens.
I volunteer to be part of it.

PostPosted:  

I have attended a few gatherings of a few dozen to several hundred readers in the States and worked as a volunteer with others in project teams and would say there are distinct and shared cultural dynamics. I am of a certain generation and "counter culture" that found and embraced the Papers at a particular intersection of cultural confluence and convergence.

But it would be a mistake to portray the movement as New Age I think or limited to any demographic. It's appeal is broad and diverse and so is the global readership. There were few readers when I found the UB in the 70's and only an English version so it was very American. Today there are readers on every continent and study groups in 40+ countries and conferences around the world yearly and the Papers are published in 16 languages with Mandarin and orhers soon to come.

Still, in my association with others who gather and work together in teams and organizations in service to dissemination and the readership, there are trends and traits commonly shared which results in shared culture I think.

UB believers share confidence in a friendly universe and membership in our loving and affection Father's family on a world filled with promise and assured destiny guided by the common experience and expression of truth, beauty, and goodness to serve others in love while growing in the Spirit.

This common reality results in a shared cultural unity I think despite the lack of general uniformity. Or so I've noticed.

:D 8)

PostPosted:  

The one thing I'm very sure would be eliminated is fear- debilitating fear since it is what contributes the most in many retrogressive cultures, and especially the dread of change. Comfort zones are a malaise in a culture that wishes to progress but in a U.B world, the people would embrace it all and even look forward to graduation to the mansion worlds since death would be a celebration, not mourning...

Then equality of the sexes- there would be no Apostle Paul to tell women to 'submit' or men to be 'firm', and I believe that a culture of equality is a culture in progress. Gender-based violence and stereotypical assignment of chores based on gender would be non-existent.

Spiritual fanatism would be frowned upon since intellect would be highly encouraged. In such a culture there would be no 'chosen few' or anointed one/s to claim first seats in the kingdom... and again with the knowledge that we all have Thought Adjusters, mediums, exorcists, psychics and anyone who claims 'special gifts' would also be frowned upon.
Best of all there would be no superstitions and mythical legends (insert any book that comes to mind) to stifle forward-thinking and enlightenment-seeking individuals, communities, societies, and nations.

PostPosted:  

Sorry

PostPosted:  

Does the UB have its own culture… I say YES, but with qualifications. With less than 100 years under its belt, the planetary spiritual awakening associated with the Book is still in its infancy. So in many respects, a real “culture” as defined by social norms, is still unborn. But a real CULTURE, as defined as a redefinition of the individual’s life’s meaning, a new way of treating one’s fellows, a new method of living upon this sin cursed and strife torn world… yes, this culture is very much alive, and growing.
In many ways, this is one of the most exciting times to be alive. We are so very few, we, the first raindrops of the coming storm, and we are scattered across the globe with little more than a digital connection between us. But that is what makes it so exciting! We are the ones who get to life this new life in its freest sense, with no established norms to restrain us. It is us who will define the culture which will follow, and we should remember this, and conduct ourselves accordingly.
In so many ways, the birth of this new culture mirrors that of its other great predecessors. At first, as the Authors write, Christianity was initially embraces by only the lowest strata of society. So too with our beliefs, very few of us are anything but laymen, at least in the religious sense. True culture starts at the bottom and works its way up thru all levels of society. True religion also starts with those individuals who are hungry for new truth, and are outcast from the rigid conforms of the evolutionary beliefs which so dominate the planetary religious conversation.
So go out make the new culture which will someday overrun this world. But go joyously and with a sense of humor for the absurd. Don’t take yourselves too seriously, because what we do, as individuals have very little impact on anything but our immediate surroundings. But what we do as a community: that will be what changes the world. That will be what ushers in a new kind of spiritual awakening.

PostPosted:  

A book that had its own culture? Does a Library have its own culture? Does the seraphic planetary government have its own culture, or is this reflected by its maximum potential to include all cultures? I believe that a book cannot have a culture of its own, and that the very Culture of Chicago in the A.D. 1930's was the most probable thing, in terms of cultural advancement "public view" (think about those Skyscrapers going up in a month, and the great men who built 'em!). I think that is a very good indication of "cultural centre", although more for an intellectual bent, whereas Palestine (the land of Joseph, Yahuda, and Samaria) seems like a spiritually cultural centre, a centre of life? Culture pertains to life of a community, and the life of a community plays out through aspirations, supportive families, and professional skills retained intergenerationally, not having anything to do with knowledge per se. "Just as Michael approved of Gabriel's choice of the Galilee Family of N. Palestine Rome, Gabriel choice the people of the Urantia Foundation and in the City of Chicago, within the 48 Federal Union America."

The mere suggestion that it does is rotten fetishism, to me.

Library Culture is like Laboratory Culture, and "Approved Housing Culture": Indoor Regulating Environment. Need low moisture, "room temperature", and "clean hands" always to handle those things. You will close your eyes tonight and find out in the morning that Robots have "Sterile Mandibles", even more of a thing to an insurer than even the most well-washed hands. The UB is not like "the Codex Magnifique", the "book of Kells" or some other document scholars speculate about the same way they do like the value of a "Michael Jordan Baseball Card": those theories are meant to be tested by the human mind, according to the means that man actually thinks he is capable of doing. You have it all wrong Rick Warren: the Library, and the Laboratory is an outdoor classroom, and there is a very high premium on truth even with such a low premium on everyday or "hard to find" knowledge.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
A book that had its own culture? Does a Library have its own culture? Does the seraphic planetary government have its own culture, or is this reflected by its maximum potential to include all cultures? I believe that a book cannot have a culture of its own, and that the very Culture of Chicago in the A.D. 1930's was the most probable thing, in terms of cultural advancement "public view" (think about those Skyscrapers going up in a month, and the great men who built 'em!). I think that is a very good indication of "cultural centre", although more for an intellectual bent, whereas Palestine (the land of Joseph, Yahuda, and Samaria) seems like a spiritually cultural centre, a centre of life? Culture pertains to life of a community, and the life of a community plays out through aspirations, supportive families, and professional skills retained intergenerationally, not having anything to do with knowledge per se. "Just as Michael approved of Gabriel's choice of the Galilee Family of N. Palestine Rome, Gabriel choice the people of the Urantia Foundation and in the City of Chicago, within the 48 Federal Union America."

Library Culture is like Laboratory Culture, and "Approved Housing Culture": Indoor Regulating Environment. Need low moisture, "room temperature", and "clean hands" always to handle those things. The UB is not like "the Codex Magnifique", the "book of Kells" or some other document scholars speculate about the same way they do like the value of a "Michael Jordan Baseball Card": those theories are meant to be tested by the human mind, according to the means that man actually thinks he is capable of doing. You have it all wrong Rick Warren: the Library, and the Laboratory is an outdoor classroom, and there is a very high premium on truth even with such a low premium on everyday or "hard to find" knowledge.

It is unfortunate you are unable to grasp the actual topic and subject of all posts so far (but your own): the culture is the readership and those who have come to believe the claims of the authors of the book over the past 100 years. And Rick Warren has not posted on this topic...although Brother Rick has been a wonderful and wise member of the movement and culture of the readership for a very long time!!

I know you do not believe the contents of the UB Stephen and do not consider it an Epochal Revelation of global importance and so you also do not believe in or know of the culture of believers or its history or trajectory or the inevitable influence this mere book will come to have on the future of our world. But there are many who do so believe and do so know the history of this culture and do also envision the glory and grandeur of the effects to come by this great cause we call The Urantia Papers! Perhaps some day, you too will come to know and appreciate those who embrace the UB as a textbook of fact and truth given to our world to change our world for the better. I hope so. That is up to you and doesn't change your current status as a faith son and Paradise Pilgrim.

Thanks to William for a most interesting question! As you suggest in your opening question, not only do UB believers have a cultural similarity due to their perspective and beliefs based on the facts provided and the truths discovered by study of the UB - even sincere readers and students share much to consider as well. Truth seekers share a culture and perspective that is central to the discovery of truth I think. The quest to understand and learn and explain and be and become...this brings distinction to such souls I believe.

And thanks also to (most of) those who have offered their own insights on the question. And a big Right On to brother Al!

Al says above: "So go out make the new culture which will someday overrun this world. But go joyously and with a sense of humor for the absurd. Don’t take yourselves too seriously, because what we do, as individuals have very little impact on anything but our immediate surroundings. But what we do as a community: that will be what changes the world. That will be what ushers in a new kind of spiritual awakening."

The movement and culture, albeit in its infancy, has included some giant figures of vision and passion and service and many thousands of whom have willingly and enthusiastically thrown their shoulders to the wheel and task of eager and selfless service to the dissemination of this Revelation to an entire world, a dedicated Corps of volunteers and donors and innovators and organizers who have applied millions of hours of skillful effort to take this from a single simple manuscript to a global seed of exponential growth and a wonderful culture of friends and co-conspirators to help the celestials bring certain worldwide success to this Epochal Revelation!! I think those who do not know of or do not yet feel a member of this movement and culture will be very pleased to meet those who are. It is vibrant and energetic and expectant and faithful...to the limited degree I know about it!

Last edited by fanofVan on Fri May 10, 2019 5:12 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
Good question.

You may join such a community if you wish to (too late to create it though)...it is already global in size and diverse in opportunities and priorities and growing faster than can be tracked. Let us know if you need some directional assistance!! There are endless places to insert your pick and shovel of service in the sharing of the Revelation. Of course, TruthBook is already part of this much greater community too!

:biggrin: :idea: :!: 8)

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
no sophist wrote:
Good question.

You may join such a community if you wish to (too late to create it though)...it is already global in size and diverse in opportunities and priorities and growing faster than can be tracked. Let us know if you need some directional assistance!! There are endless places to insert your pick and shovel of service in the sharing of the Revelation. Of course, TruthBook is already part of this much greater community too!

Thank you but no assistance necessary.
A small community similar to what the OP was invisiononing with growth potential is where I would be of use - but it’s distant in my imagination.
I just cannot think globally. Those that do are out of my league.
There is enough disagreement on UB forums and my past experience to tell me its best to work on self mastery, family and friends that may have interest in the revelation as opposed to building communities and going global.
But I have hope that I may find a real community of UB readers and do-ers before I graduate.
I’ll know it when I see it.

PostPosted:  

William S. says:
Quote:
I know the UB emphasizes individual spiritual experience and I also know everyone is different, but are there any general trends among readers? The reason I ask this is because most of us here would say that the world needs the Urantia Book. So what would the fruits of living its teachings look like not just for the individual, but society?

My thoughts about this return to the promise of the Kingdom of heaven, which is surely destined to become a reality here on Urantia. The book tells us that the religion of Jesus will rule this very world one day. That kingdom would reflect true brother/sisterhood, real and sincere love for all, a co-operative spirit, lots of teamwork and lots of fun, and would reflect a feeling of familial affection.

Quote:
99:3.2 The kingdom of heaven is neither a social nor economic order; it is an exclusively spiritual brotherhood of God-knowing individuals. True, such a brotherhood is in itself a new and amazing social phenomenon attended by astounding political and economic repercussions.
The bolding is mine.

What would lack of greed mean to a society? How would people be together without competition for survival and money? I don't think we're quite ready yet...

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
no sophist wrote:
Good question.

Thank you but no assistance necessary.
A small community similar to what the OP was invisiononing with growth potential is where I would be of use - but it’s distant in my imagination.
I just cannot think globally. Those that do are out of my league.
There is enough disagreement on UB forums and my past experience to tell me its best to work on self mastery, family and friends that may have interest in the revelation as opposed to building communities and going global.
But I have hope that I may find a real community of UB readers and do-ers before I graduate.
I’ll know it when I see it.

As you wish. Just want you to know there are dozens of small groups of skilled and dedicated volunteers working together in committees and cooperative joint ventures around the world today applying a host of skills and interests today. Many are affiliated with the Fellowship and/or Association and/or UBIS and/or UU and many others far smaller and more specialized who are creating videos, movies, games, books, study aids, organization infrastructure, events and gatherings, social media content, websites, communications systems, virtual study groups, etc., etc. There is no end to opportunities for anyone who wishes to serve dissemination and participate in teamwork based projects. Working locally impacts globally...as you know!

Working on Boards and committees and teams is often difficult and frustrating. But the UB teaches that self mastery is only a pre-requisite for that next level of challenge....and opportunity! Self sufficiency and self reliance and self mastery are pretty easy compared to applying those skills in teams and groups but the rewards are or can be immense as well. When the like-minded cooperate and act in cooperation and unison then great things happen and great leverage and momentum are achieved. It's very gratifying to be part of such effort and results.

Consider it a standing invitation.

But certainly that personal growth and wisdom gained personally is exerted and expressed in so many ways and all of those serves family, community, nation, world, universe, and the Supreme!

I have no doubt you so shine your light that many benefit therefrom. As we benefit here by your presence and voice. Glad you are here. Thanks...for being you!

8)

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
What would lack of greed mean to a society? How would people be together without competition for survival and money?

Greed may not be effacable, but Children may learn that the people they grew up with, certain human individuals who they witness as being sincere in their goals, actually share their goals with the people who share their interests, via socialisation.

If you look at how corporations are financed in America, both via public investment and internal subsidy, in addition to the regular organic growth of an organisation, you find that the capitalist model is, in its general proportions and schemes, one that has sought out incomplete means of satisfaction. This occurs and becomes evident not suddenly, but when we observe a company with all of its liabilities over a ten year phase. It becomes evident when the public incurs the social and environmental costs of a business venture, where the owner is exempt from any indemnities of the kind: how do they deal with the waste from byproducts and packaging they have created, how does a corporation who is responsible for the instruction to farmers, say in the way to maintain their fields, accept their own part in the application of say fertilizers that chemically can be traced into the water tables thereafter?

But when people decide to use their wealth wisely, they are not necessarily going to invest big in a great new national company. One example in King Solon of Athens, was that he despised excessive wealth as an unnecessary burden, and forgave the debts that people owed to his own household. If you can pay off a person's debt, you gain something more: loyalty, respect, trust. In this, another human individual may learn to become more willing to serve in any capacity, even though no longer under rational and certain terms of servitude.

If you can include the social costs, the total impact of a venture, and not just the profit making opportunity in your report to a new entrepreneur, they will at least have to keep their greed in check. Greed sends me on the road to spiritual blindness, wherein valuation of finite material fact and goods becomes an obsession. It is true that every good has its own use, but it is also true that the retail markets of America place value based on abstract concepts of value, which are expected to be equal for every user or skillsman. With greed, more than most other "sins" in the category of psychological temptation, there is a tendency to overlook the means necessary to attain one's chosen end: to circumvent progress and seek out ends in and of themself.

But the impact of greed is great, and especially a generation of people younger than I realise that the cost of Greed has been to commoditize the very foods populations consume, and to go to obsurd lengths to provide these goods in quantity, which has depleted our arable lands and much of our petrol resources economically. In taking wheat and corn from our fields to our city marketplaces, we have left the future generations in a very perillous position, seeing wealth in a coinage and not an endowment from the universe.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
But the impact of greed is great, and especially a generation of people younger than I realise that the cost of Greed has been to commoditize the very foods populations consume, and to go to obsurd lengths to provide these goods in quantity, which has depleted our arable lands and much of our petrol resources economically. In taking wheat and corn from our fields to our city marketplaces, we have left the future generations in a very perillous position, seeing wealth in a coinage and not an endowment from the universe.

When I think of greed, I think of the worst aspects of capitalism. The points you make here about the food industry are concerning to me, also. We sure do have some terrible examples of poor stewardship there - both misuse of the land and of manipulation of Nature for profit. But I do think that there are some companies that are learning a better way - that they can have profit AND serve people - without greed.

In the ideal "Urantian" culture of true brotherhood, I would hope that the following would be considered:

Quote:
71:6.1 Present-day profit-motivated economics is doomed unless profit motives can be augmented by service motives. Ruthless competition based on narrow-minded self-interest is ultimately destructive of even those things which it seeks to maintain. Exclusive and self-serving profit motivation is incompatible with Christian ideals—much more incompatible with the teachings of Jesus.

71:6.2 In economics, profit motivation is to service motivation what fear is to love in religion. But the profit motive must not be suddenly destroyed or removed; it keeps many otherwise slothful mortals hard at work. It is not necessary, however, that this social energy arouser be forever selfish in its objectives.

71:6.3 The profit motive of economic activities is altogether base and wholly unworthy of an advanced order of society; nevertheless, it is an indispensable factor throughout the earlier phases of civilization. Profit motivation must not be taken away from men until they have firmly possessed themselves of superior types of nonprofit motives for economic striving and social serving—the transcendent urges of superlative wisdom, intriguing brotherhood, and excellency of spiritual attainment.

PostPosted:  

Is greed a cause or effect of materialism? In either case, we are taught the worst of the material age is over. Which means unselfish and altruistic ambition is replacing selfish me first greed right now as a new social and cultural cycle and season. This means the dawning of the era of brotherly love is now lighting the social horizon.

And despite a post here to the contrary, Jesus taught 2000 years ago that the kingdom is already and always is and always has been here and now...not hither or thither or later. Do those who await some future kingdom believe and see and contribute to the tectonic cultural shifts and transformation of the world already in progress? It can be difficult in such a brief life filled with distractions to notice evolutionary progress.