Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Evolution
PostPosted:  

Some points of clarification....I posted above:

"Evolution must first of all originate in imperfection. That which is perfect is not evolving. It may be experiencing, but it is not evolving. Evolution is a process. A process of perfecting. We are told that life itself, even in its most basic forms is striving. Striving for perfection. All of life is thereby and therefor evolving...seeking new ways to thrive and survive and perpetuate itself. This is inherent in all life forms regardless of simplicity or complexity. It is the foundational urge upon which evolution depends and propagates its own process and reality. Life has its ministers and managers and creators...but life itself is imbued by this impulse to become perfect.

There is life which created in perfection and then there is life that seeks perfection. There is no other form of life. Except for one. Mortals may choose not to seek perfection. Our very cells in our bodies do still seek out perpetuation and survival and perfection at the cellular level of "life". Our pets and other animals on the world and the plant life and all other forms of life, minded and pre-minded do still seek survival and adaptivity and perfecting. But mortals are given freewill and personality. We must choose. And we may choose either way...to strive for our potential or merely choose self indulgence. Mortal life is the first level of life in the universe with such choice! For we are the entry level will creatures of time and space."

The words posted above about perfecting by all life and survival by all life was intended to present the fact that this urge in unconscious in all life itself...it is how species seek self perpetuation and fight to live and how they adapt to conditions and changing conditions - the adaptability and survival of the fittest aspects of evolution. Humans may choose the perfecting of ourselves by transferring the seat of our identity from the material self to the spirit nature within. Plants and animals and life even more basic do not consciously seek perfecting or adaptations. Such bio-evolution can happen incrementally and very slowly but it can also make giant leaps forward all at once when whole new species emerge suddenly or environmental adaptations spring forth in single generations.

49:1.1 (559.6) The universes of time and space are gradual in development; the progression of life—terrestrial or celestial—is neither arbitrary nor magical. Cosmic evolution may not always be understandable (predictable), but it is strictly nonaccidental.

49:1.6 (560.5) The early stages of life evolution are not altogether in conformity with your present-day views. Mortal man is not an evolutionary accident. There is a precise system, a universal law, which determines the unfolding of the planetary life plan on the spheres of space. Time and the production of large numbers of a species are not the controlling influences. Mice reproduce much more rapidly than elephants, yet elephants evolve more rapidly than mice.

65:0.1 (730.1) BASIC evolutionary material life—premind life—is the formulation of the Master Physical Controllers and the life-impartation ministry of the Seven Master Spirits in conjunction with the active ministration of the ordained Life Carriers. As a result of the co-ordinate function of this threefold creativity there develops organismal physical capacity for mind—material mechanisms for intelligent reaction to external environmental stimuli and, later on, to internal stimuli, influences taking origin in the organismal mind itself.

65:2.1 (731.5) The story of man’s ascent from seaweed to the lordship of earthly creation is indeed a romance of biologic struggle and mind survival. Man’s primordial ancestors were literally the slime and ooze of the ocean bed in the sluggish and warm-water bays and lagoons of the vast shore lines of the ancient inland seas, those very waters in which the Life Carriers established the three independent life implantations on Urantia.

65:2.9 (732.7) Probably the greatest single leap of all prehuman evolution was executed when the reptile became a bird. The bird types of today—eagles, ducks, pigeons, and ostriches—all descended from the enormous reptiles of long, long ago.

65:2.12 (733.2) It was from an agile little reptilian dinosaur of carnivorous habits but having a comparatively large brain that the placental mammals suddenly sprang. These mammals developed rapidly and in many different ways, not only giving rise to the common modern varieties but also evolving into marine types, such as whales and seals, and into air navigators like the bat family.

65:3.2 (733.8) Life Carriers may employ every possible natural resource and may utilize any and all fortuitous circumstances which will enhance the developmental progress of the life experiment, but we are not permitted mechanically to intervene in, or arbitrarily to manipulate the conduct and course of, either plant or animal evolution.

5:4.3 (735.2) Many features of human life afford abundant evidence that the phenomenon of mortal existence was intelligently planned, that organic evolution is not a mere cosmic accident. When a living cell is injured, it possesses the ability to elaborate certain chemical substances which are empowered so to stimulate and activate the neighboring normal cells that they immediately begin the secretion of certain substances which facilitate healing processes in the wound; and at the same time these normal and uninjured cells begin to proliferate—they actually start to work creating new cells to replace any fellow cells which may have been destroyed by the accident.

65:6.2 (737.2) There is original endowment of adaptation in living things and beings. In every living plant or animal cell, in every living organism—material or spiritual—there is an insatiable craving for the attainment of ever-increasing perfection of environmental adjustment, organismal adaptation, and augmented life realization. These interminable efforts of all living things evidence the existence within them of an innate striving for perfection.

65:6.7 (737.7) The lower forms of plant life are wholly responsive to physical, chemical, and electrical environment. But as the scale of life ascends, one by one the mind ministries of the seven adjutant spirits become operative, and the mind becomes increasingly adjustive, creative, co-ordinative, and dominative. The ability of animals to adapt themselves to air, water, and land is not a supernatural endowment, but it is a superphysical adjustment.

65:6.8 (738.1) Physics and chemistry alone cannot explain how a human being evolved out of the primeval protoplasm of the early seas. The ability to learn, memory and differential response to environment, is the endowment of mind. The laws of physics are not responsive to training; they are immutable and unchanging. The reactions of chemistry are not modified by education; they are uniform and dependable. Aside from the presence of the Unqualified Absolute, electrical and chemical reactions are predictable. But mind can profit from experience, can learn from reactive habits of behavior in response to repetition of stimuli.

65:6.9 (738.2) Preintelligent organisms react to environmental stimuli, but those organisms which are reactive to mind ministry can adjust and manipulate the environment itself.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Another point of clarification. Posted above:

"Our religious experience is not what most of us think of as a religious experience. See, we are having a religious experience without making any conscious commitments to or having any conscious awareness of such experience. Primitive minds and children have religious experience. Love, truth, beauty, and goodness are all elements of such a religious experience. Our expressions of those internal and external (social and material) realities are expressions of our religious experience. Love, truth, beauty, and goodness have only one source - God. The personality which can experience and express these realities also has only one source - God. So the person-ality who experiences and expresses love, truth, beauty, and goodness has found God within and the circuits of God - mind, personality, and spirit - and is actively having a very robust and deeply meaningful religious experience!!

This is the beginning of the evolution of the soul and the eternal adventure and the perfecting ascension of material born mortal beings as children of God in time!! It is also an all important element and method of evolving mortal society one generation after another. Society is evolved by the evolution of each mortal on each world. And each mortal on each world is also evolved and influenced in our personal progress by the evolutionary progress of the whole of society as we have already learned and studied here. Personal and social evolution are interdependent! Each is a cause and each is an effect of the other."

The statement/claim in blue above is accurate...but incomplete I think. This describes only the very beginning of the mortal's religious experience. Certainly must we make conscious choices eventually in our religious experience...to be born again requires a conscious choice of choosing the Spirit nature. There comes a point when our evolutionary religious experience must become intentional and purposeful. Faith and truth are by and from the inherent connections of the mind and personality to the Spirit within...but we cannot grow sufficiently in the Spirit to fuse with our Adjuster and become eternal beings without conscious awareness of choosing such a destiny and desire to find God and become perfected in time by the Spirit ministry of God.

8)

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Evolution must first of all originate in imperfection. That which is perfect is not evolving. It may be experiencing, but it is not evolving. Evolution is a process. A process of perfecting. We are told that life itself, even in its most basic forms is striving. Striving for perfection. All of life is thereby and therefor evolving...seeking new ways to thrive and survive and perpetuate itself. This is inherent in all life forms regardless of simplicity or complexity. It is the foundational urge upon which evolution depends and propagates its own process and reality. Life has its ministers and managers and creators...but life itself is imbued by this impulse to become perfect.

Just remember that before the life on Urantia was initiated through the presence of the Holy Spirit, the designs of the Satania life vehicle were known and theorised to be the best operable design: they were ratified. The fact that such designs actually worked! Haha, what is imperfect about them at all? We, our ancestors, "produced a more robust life vehicle", it would be imperfect only if, by the time Urantia was discovered as a "suitable planet", there were no questions left to be answered, as far as life-evolution was concerned. The fact that evolution is "incomplete" does not imply that the "evolutionary design" is actually imperfect. And then you have the issue, with what you say, of how Life could ever be considered imperfect?

I think that if you want to know the perspective of the Life Carriers, but remember the City of Chicago in the 20th century was a very industrious city for its time. The "factory floors" were taking on a new shape, wrought out of the desire for efficiency and "industrial engineering". Time was a critical issue for the foremen who supervised the assembly lines. And there was the intuitive demand, to eliminate wasteful processes, a true disgust for indolence. I am saying that the factory took on a shape that was much-similar to the actual operation of singular living cells. When the industrial engineers and the foremen corellated to the workers in the factory, a harmony could be struck, and a musical labouriousness became forged between man & capital. It was a time of the incredible emergence of the city-as-a-unit, and it is almost too beautiful to recognise any more. The very notions of solidarity have been so challenged, and corporations of the 20th Century like IBM have a totally different complexion (in a service rather than manufacturing economy). Movies like "Tommy Boy" shown me a tiny glimpse of happy workers and dignified owners, interacting as one family. But the question is if that type of harmony can be "reproduced" if it does not arise through the fair-gain of market share, if it is imposed upon society "rationally" or "from above". It is more likely that you cannot reproduce those conditions, because the supply-lines of fodder and workmanship "naturally gravitated" to those centers of production, and that therefore many sociological benefits that were not accounted for. Horatio Alger knew that kind of beauty very well, however.

It is hardly recognisable, the life of the City of Chicago, because we are in a recalcitrant era. Say that conservative or liberal "think tanks" actually produce "knowledge", proposively. Then what we are witness, is the recalcitrance of the nucleus, like a cell that has 100% nuclear activity and 0% transcription, unwilling to release the RNA into the "factory floor" of the cellular cytoplasm. Or, there is soo much confusion, too much preponderances of human goals, that the investors do not invest in any actual production, but rather "are investing in means to preserve knowledge itself", "investing in the primacy of intellectual assets" rather than real property. The activity stops, because the people who are called do make the decisions do not identify with the people who will be called to carry forward the truth of such enactments. And so, the world of today is very different from the world of a century ago, because our society is like a cell whose thoughts are bound within the nucleus, and do not travel about and do not produce the proteins of normal cellular activity properly. The national quorums have been "burnt one too many times", and the ex-official corporations that burned them have their own news-channel for Senators, that is quite different than the news that they tell the proletariat. It is all so "triumphant" and "progressive", but in the plain actuality, a picture of a dying beast.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
... Mortals may choose not to seek perfection.
... But mortals are given freewill and personality.
... We must choose.

I believe that the SOUL of mortal man may choose... eventually!

I believe that you are right, Bradly, except it is not choose "not to seek", but rather choose "to not seek". Do you understand that I believe there is a huge difference between these syntaxi??

We must choose. But not now, right now, this very moment!!!! Let me gain all of God's attributes before I choose!

And you present the choice as if there are only TWO choices!!! To do or not to do God's will? That is the question (AND YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DO NOT CHOOSE WISELY :x ) No way, Bradly. When I choose in wisdom, I will have an infinite array of actual possibilities that I may consider while making that choice!

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
... Mortals may choose not to seek perfection.
... But mortals are given freewill and personality.
... We must choose.

I believe that the SOUL of mortal man may choose... eventually!

I believe that you are right, Bradly, except it is not choose "not to seek", but rather choose "to not seek". Do you understand that I believe there is a huge difference between these syntaxi??

We must choose. But not now, right now, this very moment!!!! Let me gain all of God's attributes before I choose!

And you present the choice as if there are only TWO choices!!! To do or not to do God's will? That is the question (AND YOU WILL DIE IF YOU DO NOT CHOOSE WISELY :x ) No way, Bradly. When I choose in wisdom, I will have an infinite array of actual possibilities that I may consider while making that choice!

You cannot choose in wisdom until you first gain wisdom and you cannot gain experiential wisdom except by choosing and learning by trial and error...or so the UB teaches.

Yes I know....you don't believe in freewill...still. And still do you defy, deny, and contradict the Papers. I have not said nor believe and the Revelation does not teach we have only two choices or there is such a thing as death by foolishness or immaturity or error. Wisdom and God's will is a spectrum of choices and options and not an either or choice. False claims Stephen yet again.

Yes....we must choose...right now. Wisdom is a result of decisions and experience....experiential wisdom...get it? You will NEVER gain ANY of God's attributes without freewill choices....now and here. We must grow and progress and become spiritized and gain wisdom by our choices...this is how we evolve from our animal origins and nature to spirit beings, or so we are taught.

So many quotes posted and still you choose to contradict and misstate the Revelation. Sad...

PostPosted:  

Stephen says above: "I believe that you are right, Bradly, except it is not choose "not to seek", but rather choose "to not seek". Do you understand that I believe there is a huge difference between these syntaxi??"

Me here: Yes Stephen, I understand the difference and that's why I chose my words carefully. Your wording requires a conscious rejection of the spirit I think. My phrasing is intended to describe someone's personal and religious faith and truth experience which is real but unconscious compared to someone who has consciously chosen to be reborn or born of the Spirit, the conscious decision to seek God and to embrace the Spirit.

The UB teaches we all have an evolutionary and revelatory religious experience naturally and unconsciously by feeling and responding to the Spirit delivered urges, yearn, and hunger within and also due to the fact and function of personality itself. Children, primitives, and ignorant mortals - even those with completely false and fictional beliefs and disbeliefs - all have such experience. We can and do make choices and reach decisions by the Spirit nature and by a response to Spirit ministry...without conscious consideration or experiential wisdom.

Few I think, in this life, consciously reject the Spirit or choose "to not seek" but some (or many?) do I think remain materially minded and/or become distracted by and engaged in materialism and self indulgence and suffering and choose "not to seek" or pursue the Spirit nature and connection. We make choices in favor of the material life or self importance rather than spirit driven choices of self forgetting love, service, and loyalty to our Spirit connection...this choice is a choice in favor of materialism (and it is an error) rather than a conscious rejection of the Spirit (which would be sinful).

This is described in the UB as the difference between evil/error and sin. Evil is error in choice reflecting immaturity and inexperience and materialism while sin is the conscious rejection of that which is known to be better in favor of that we know to be wrong. We cannot ignore or dismiss this important distinction. We may grow in the experience of trial and error but we can only suffer from sin and move further away from progress in the Spirit.

I think there is a point of circle progress and spiritization that requires our active and intentional cooperation to transfer the seat of our identity and recognize and consciously embrace the reality of the Spirit. It is more than responsive at some point for continued progress on the pilgrim's path forward. That fork in the road comes when we choose "to seek" rather than choosing "not to seek".

I think this IS the either/or choice. The right choice comes in many colors, flavors, and forms - there are so many subtleties of timing and tactics and strategies to choose from with every right choice based on experiential wisdom acquired over time - ut is our motive and intentions and priorities of our choices that determine if we act in God's will or against God's will. There are many options in our choices which reflects the Divine will...but each such choice represents lesser and greater experiential wisdom.

Spiritization and personal evolutionary progress depends upon both the unconscious response TO Spirit ministry and connection AND the conscious decisions of dedication and commitment and intentional cooperation WITH the Spirit within. Each level is an aspect of our personal evolutionary progress.

An important distinction Stephen...thanks for pointing it out.

101:0.1 (1104.1) RELIGION, as a human experience, ranges from the primitive fear slavery of the evolving savage up to the sublime and magnificent faith liberty of those civilized mortals who are superbly conscious of sonship with the eternal God.

102:4.3 (1123.3) Man very early becomes conscious that he is not alone in the world or the universe. There develops a natural spontaneous self-consciousness of other-mindness in the environment of selfhood. Faith translates this natural experience into religion, the recognition of God as the reality—source, nature, and destiny—of other-mindness. But such a knowledge of God is ever and always a reality of personal experience. If God were not a personality, he could not become a living part of the real religious experience of a human personality.

103:2.1 (1130.6) Religion is functional in the human mind and has been realized in experience prior to its appearance in human consciousness. A child has been in existence about nine months before it experiences birth. But the “birth” of religion is not sudden; it is rather a gradual emergence. Nevertheless, sooner or later there is a “birth day.” You do not enter the kingdom of heaven unless you have been “born again”—born of the Spirit. Many spiritual births are accompanied by much anguish of spirit and marked psychological perturbations, as many physical births are characterized by a “stormy labor” and other abnormalities of “delivery.” Other spiritual births are a natural and normal growth of the recognition of supreme values with an enhancement of spiritual experience, albeit no religious development occurs without conscious effort and positive and individual determinations. Religion is never a passive experience, a negative attitude. What is termed the “birth of religion” is not directly associated with so-called conversion experiences which usually characterize religious episodes occurring later in life as a result of mental conflict, emotional repression, and temperamental upheavals.

111:1.5 (1216.6) Mortal mind is a temporary intellect system loaned to human beings for use during a material lifetime, and as they use this mind, they are either accepting or rejecting the potential of eternal existence. Mind is about all you have of universe reality that is subject to your will, and the soul—the morontia self—will faithfully portray the harvest of the temporal decisions which the mortal self is making. Human consciousness rests gently upon the electrochemical mechanism below and delicately touches the spirit-morontia energy system above. Of neither of these two systems is the human being ever completely conscious in his mortal life; therefore must he work in mind, of which he is conscious. And it is not so much what mind comprehends as what mind desires to comprehend that insures survival; it is not so much what mind is like as what mind is striving to be like that constitutes spirit identification. It is not so much that man is conscious of God as that man yearns for God that results in universe ascension. What you are today is not so important as what you are becoming day by day and in eternity.

111:1.6 (1217.1) Mind is the cosmic instrument on which the human will can play the discords of destruction, or upon which this same human will can bring forth the exquisite melodies of God identification and consequent eternal survival. The Adjuster bestowed upon man is, in the last analysis, impervious to evil and incapable of sin, but mortal mind can actually be twisted, distorted, and rendered evil and ugly by the sinful machinations of a perverse and self-seeking human will. Likewise can this mind be made noble, beautiful, true, and good—actually great—in accordance with the spirit-illuminated will of a God-knowing human being. *

111:1.7 (1217.2) Evolutionary mind is only fully stable and dependable when manifesting itself upon the two extremes of cosmic intellectuality—the wholly mechanized and the entirely spiritualized. Between the intellectual extremes of pure mechanical control and true spirit nature there intervenes that enormous group of evolving and ascending minds whose stability and tranquillity are dependent upon personality choice and spirit identification.

118:1.2 (1295.2) The personality of the mortal creature may eternalize by self-identification with the indwelling spirit through the technique of choosing to do the will of the Father. Such a consecration of will is tantamount to the realization of eternity-reality of purpose. This means that the purpose of the creature has become fixed with regard to the succession of moments; stated otherwise, that the succession of moments will witness no change in creature purpose. A million or a billion moments makes no difference. Number has ceased to have meaning with regard to the creature’s purpose. Thus does creature choice plus God’s choice eventuate in the eternal realities of the never-ending union of the spirit of God and the nature of man in the everlasting service of the children of God and of their Paradise Father.

:idea: 8)

PostPosted:  

As I have pointed out, it is interesting how the topics on "Experiential Wisdom" and "Evolution" and "What is Assurance" all intersect and overlap!!

Experiential Wisdom is the very foundation of Evolution!! And Evolution is the root of Experiential Wisdom expression!!

Evolution is the result of experience. Wisdom evolves by the results of experience. Evolution is experiential. Experience is evolutionary!!

Which is cause? Which is effect? Both are both!! Each causes the other and both are the effects of the other.

Even biologically and geologically!! But especially socially and religiously. And also on a planetary basis and universe basis...and even at the level of Deity and Paradise origin beings!

We are taught that the urge to perfect is inherent in life itself. Evolution is the functional and transitional and progressive experience of perfecting in time. All beings with freewill and personality in time evolve but so does all life evolve and, we are taught, does geological and stellar energies and forces seek equilibrium and gain stabilization over time. There are fewer radicalizations and volatility and uncertainty of outcomes due to evolutionary forces and experiential results!

We are told that their is no confusion or conflict for the purely material or the pure spirit. But every being in time with personality and freewill has some measure of confusion and conflict and uncertainty in the acquisition of wisdom by experience and in the experience of evolution itself. Outcomes of choice are uncertain when personality and time and relationships create circumstances and situations which require navigation by our decisions....lots of decisions by lots of beings. It's all so very fluid. And because there are so many freewills and so many personalities creating so many choices at so many intersections of decision and choice - then are there always inherently endless potentials for outcomes - almost all of which are unpredictable to those of us in time and making decisions!!

That's why we must experience and embrace Divine Assurance to eliminate fear and anxiety from the arena of choice!! We can only enjoy and anticipate uncertainty of outcomes by the certainty of our origin and destiny and by our personal relationship with Deity!!

Assurance is that gift which eliminates anxiety from uncertainty! Faith and truth experience come with assurance of Being and assurance of Belonging and the assurance of Becoming!!

Being. (I AM)

Belonging. (I AM SAFE)

Becoming. (I AM PERFECTING - or at least I AM PROGRESSING!)

Origin and Destiny! This is the gift of Divine Assurance.

Faith is its fruit. By faith do we choose to attach our branch to the vine. Then does the fruit of the Sprit (vine) come forth on the branch attached to the vine.

Link to the topic of "Evolution":

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5584

Link to the topic of "What is Assurance?":

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5434

Link to the topic "Experiential Wisdom":

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5693

ENJOY!

8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

For the more intrepid students of evolutionary forces, process, and results as portrayed in the UB, I suggest reading Paper 56. Indeed, try reading it 3 times. Fascinating presentation.

The experience and expression of Divinity expands proportionately in the individual and the localized associative groups of individuals (family, tribe, community, nation, world, system, constellation, local universe, etc.) and also the totality of all other evolutionary and experiential beings and also the relationship between all of those and Paradise Perfected beings as the realization and actualization of potential.

Existential /Original Deity itself does not evolve by experience. But the experiential expression of the personal and group effects of this original cause are evolutionary and experiential. And Existential Original Deity has created other forms of interfacing Deity who aggregate and integrate all of the accumulative evolutionary effects - experiences and expressions - of the Original Cause.

This evolutionary EFFECT (result) grows in its own power and potential to also be further CAUSE (source) for evermore effect (still more and greater result). Every experience and expression of truth, beauty, and goodness is a creative force for perfecting. Every experience and expression of truth, beauty, and goodness is an effect of cause and also a cause of further effects.

Reality is never improved or perfected by evolution or experiential wisdom I do not think. Our own perfecting does not change or improve perfection. It changes the imperfect. Perfection is already perfect. It is imperfection that is changed and improved. Perfecting is the actualization of potential into reality. Evolution is the experiential expression of perfecting in time by approximations ever approaching actual and original perfection.

This is evolution. Or so I understand the teachings.

10. Truth, Beauty, and Goodness

56:10.1 (646.2) As the worlds settled in life and light progress from the initial stage to the seventh epoch, they successively grasp for the realization of the reality of God the Sevenfold, ranging from the adoration of the Creator Son to the worship of his Paradise Father. Throughout the continuing seventh stage of such a world’s history the ever-progressing mortals grow in the knowledge of God the Supreme, while they vaguely discern the reality of the overshadowing ministry of God the Ultimate.

56:10.2 (646.3) Throughout this glorious age the chief pursuit of the ever-advancing mortals is the quest for a better understanding and a fuller realization of the comprehensible elements of Deity—truth, beauty, and goodness. This represents man’s effort to discern God in mind, matter, and spirit. And as the mortal pursues this quest, he finds himself increasingly absorbed in the experiential study of philosophy, cosmology, and divinity.

56:10.3 (646.4) Philosophy you somewhat grasp, and divinity you comprehend in worship, social service, and personal spiritual experience, but the pursuit of beauty—cosmology—you all too often limit to the study of man’s crude artistic endeavors. Beauty, art, is largely a matter of the unification of contrasts. Variety is essential to the concept of beauty. The supreme beauty, the height of finite art, is the drama of the unification of the vastness of the cosmic extremes of Creator and creature. Man finding God and God finding man—the creature becoming perfect as is the Creator—that is the supernal achievement of the supremely beautiful, the attainment of the apex of cosmic art.

56:10.4 (646.5) Hence materialism, atheism, is the maximation of ugliness, the climax of the finite antithesis of the beautiful. Highest beauty consists in the panorama of the unification of the variations which have been born of pre-existent harmonious reality.

56:10.5 (646.6) The attainment of cosmologic levels of thought includes:

56:10.6 (646.7) 1. Curiosity. Hunger for harmony and thirst for beauty. Persistent attempts to discover new levels of harmonious cosmic relationships.

56:10.7 (646.8) 2. Aesthetic appreciation.Love of the beautiful and ever-advancing appreciation of the artistic touch of all creative manifestations on all levels of reality.

56:10.8 (646.9) 3. Ethic sensitivity. Through the realization of truth the appreciation of beauty leads to the sense of the eternal fitness of those things which impinge upon the recognition of divine goodness in Deity relations with all beings; and thus even cosmology leads to the pursuit of divine reality values—to God-consciousness.

56:10.9 (646.10) The worlds settled in light and life are so fully concerned with the comprehension of truth, beauty, and goodness because these quality values embrace the revelation of Deity to the realms of time and space. The meanings of eternal truth make a combined appeal to the intellectual and spiritual natures of mortal man. Universal beauty embraces the harmonious relations and rhythms of the cosmic creation; this is more distinctly the intellectual appeal and leads towards unified and synchronous comprehension of the material universe. Divine goodness represents the revelation of infinite values to the finite mind, therein to be perceived and elevated to the very threshold of the spiritual level of human comprehension.

56:10.10 (647.1) Truth is the basis of science and philosophy, presenting the intellectual foundation of religion. Beauty sponsors art, music, and the meaningful rhythms of all human experience. Goodness embraces the sense of ethics, morality, and religion—experiential perfection-hunger.

56:10.11 (647.2) The existence of beauty implies the presence of appreciative creature mind just as certainly as the fact of progressive evolution indicates the dominance of the Supreme Mind. Beauty is the intellectual recognition of the harmonious time-space synthesis of the far-flung diversification of phenomenal reality, all of which stems from pre-existent and eternal oneness.

56:10.12 (647.3) Goodness is the mental recognition of the relative values of the diverse levels of divine perfection. The recognition of goodness implies a mind of moral status, a personal mind with ability to discriminate between good and evil. But the possession of goodness, greatness, is the measure of real divinity attainment.

56:10.13 (647.4) The recognition of true relations implies a mind competent to discriminate between truth and error. The bestowal Spirit of Truth which invests the human minds of Urantia is unerringly responsive to truth—the living spirit relationship of all things and all beings as they are co-ordinated in the eternal ascent Godward.

56:10.14 (647.5) Every impulse of every electron, thought, or spirit is an acting unit in the whole universe. Only sin is isolated and evil gravity resisting on the mental and spiritual levels. The universe is a whole; no thing or being exists or lives in isolation. Self-realization is potentially evil if it is antisocial. It is literally true: “No man lives by himself.” Cosmic socialization constitutes the highest form of personality unification. Said Jesus: “He who would be greatest among you, let him become server of all.”

56:10.15 (647.6) Even truth, beauty, and goodness—man’s intellectual approach to the universe of mind, matter, and spirit—must be combined into one unified concept of a divine and supreme ideal. As mortal personality unifies the human experience with matter, mind, and spirit, so does this divine and supreme ideal become power-unified in Supremacy and then personalized as a God of fatherly love.

56:10.16 (647.7) All insight into the relations of the parts to any given whole requires an understanding grasp of the relation of all parts to that whole; and in the universe this means the relation of created parts to the Creative Whole. Deity thus becomes the transcendental, even the infinite, goal of universal and eternal attainment.

56:10.17 (647.8) Universal beauty is the recognition of the reflection of the Isle of Paradise in the material creation, while eternal truth is the special ministry of the Paradise Sons who not only bestow themselves upon the mortal races but even pour out their Spirit of Truth upon all peoples. Divine goodness is more fully shown forth in the loving ministry of the manifold personalities of the Infinite Spirit. But love, the sum total of these three qualities, is man’s perception of God as his spirit Father.

56:10.18 (648.1) Physical matter is the time-space shadow of the Paradise energy-shining of the absolute Deities. Truth meanings are the mortal-intellect repercussions of the eternal word of Deity—the time-space comprehension of supreme concepts. The goodness values of divinity are the merciful ministries of the spirit personalities of the Universal, the Eternal, and the Infinite to the time-space finite creatures of the evolutionary spheres.

56:10.19 (648.2) These meaningful reality values of divinity are blended in the Father’s relation with each personal creature as divine love. They are co-ordinated in the Son and his Sons as divine mercy. They manifest their qualities through the Spirit and his spirit children as divine ministry, the portrayal of loving mercy to the children of time. These three divinities are primarily manifested by the Supreme Being as power-personality synthesis. They are variously shown forth by God the Sevenfold in seven differing associations of divine meanings and values on seven ascending levels.

56:10.20 (648.3) To finite man truth, beauty, and goodness embrace the full revelation of divinity reality. As this love-comprehension of Deity finds spiritual expression in the lives of God-knowing mortals, there are yielded the fruits of divinity: intellectual peace, social progress, moral satisfaction, spiritual joy, and cosmic wisdom. The advanced mortals on a world in the seventh stage of light and life have learned that love is the greatest thing in the universe—and they know that God is love.

56:10.21 (648.4) Love is the desire to do good to others.

Bradly. 8)

PostPosted:  

Evolution is the progressive expression of applying knowledge gained by experience and by reason and insight and revelation and guided by that certain wisdom that results from freewill choices in time. Evolution is more than experience. It's the pogressive results of experience. No progress, no evolution.

Likewise with experiential wisdom. No progress in understanding of reality and improvement in the outcomes of our choices, then no progress or experiential wisdom gained. Evolution and wisdom express learning and understanding and growth and developmental progress. They are agents for and the effects of perfecting.

Again...that which is the effect of cause becomes the cause for further effect. God is the First Cause. The First Source and Center of All Causes and All Effects. That which is and those who are imperfect in time seek and pursue perfection by the evolutionary process of experiential progress.

A most interesting correlation exists between the part(s) and the whole. As goes the parts so goes the whole. The whole of the time creation is perfected as each constituent personality and freewill experiences and expresses the perfecting process and result. The parts perfect the whole. But the perfecting of the whole...the aggregate and integrated results of the perfecting parts...ALSO is a cause with effects upon the parts!!! The progress of the parts creates the progress of the parts but the progress shared by the whole becomes its own cause for the further effects of perfecting progress. An amazing symbiosis and relationship in evolution and experiential wisdom!!

116:6.6 (1275.6) And as it is with the parts, so it is with the whole; the spirit person of Supremacy requires the evolutionary power of the Almighty to achieve completion of Deity and to attain destiny of Trinity association. The effort is made by the personalities of time and space, but the culmination and consummation of this effort is the act of the Almighty Supreme. And while the growth of the whole is thus a totalizing of the collective growth of the parts, it equally follows that the evolution of the parts is a segmented reflection of the purposive growth of the whole.

Evolution is another technique of creating that which is perfect. More accurately, that which is and those who are perfected by the process of perfecting by freewill experience and the personal expressions of evolutionary and experiential perfecting are also the perfect results or effects of the First Cause.

The eventual and eternal results of the perfecting experience of the imperfect in time are certain...no matter the uncertainties inherent in the process and experience itself. Destiny is ultimately certain. And thus may we and should we ne boldly confident in our hope, faith, trust, and anticipation throughout this grand adventure in time!!!

3:5.5 (51.4) The uncertainties of life and the vicissitudes of existence do not in any manner contradict the concept of the universal sovereignty of God. All evolutionary creature life is beset by certain inevitabilities. Consider the following:

3:5.6 (51.5) 1. Is courage—strength of character—desirable? Then must man be reared in an environment which necessitates grappling with hardships and reacting to disappointments.

3:5.7 (51.6) 2. Is altruism—service of one’s fellows—desirable? Then must life experience provide for encountering situations of social inequality.

3:5.8 (51.7) 3. Is hope—the grandeur of trust—desirable? Then human existence must constantly be confronted with insecurities and recurrent uncertainties.

3:5.9 (51.8) 4. Is faith—the supreme assertion of human thought—desirable? Then must the mind of man find itself in that troublesome predicament where it ever knows less than it can believe.

3:5.10 (51.9) 5. Is the love of truth and the willingness to go wherever it leads, desirable? Then must man grow up in a world where error is present and falsehood always possible.

3:5.11 (51.10) 6. Is idealism—the approaching concept of the divine—desirable? Then must man struggle in an environment of relative goodness and beauty, surroundings stimulative of the irrepressible reach for better things.

3:5.12 (51.11) 7. Is loyalty—devotion to highest duty—desirable? Then must man carry on amid the possibilities of betrayal and desertion. The valor of devotion to duty consists in the implied danger of default.

3:5.13 (51.12) 8. Is unselfishness—the spirit of self-forgetfulness—desirable? Then must mortal man live face to face with the incessant clamoring of an inescapable self for recognition and honor. Man could not dynamically choose the divine life if there were no self-life to forsake. Man could never lay saving hold on righteousness if there were no potential evil to exalt and differentiate the good by contrast.

3:5.14 (51.13) 9. Is pleasure—the satisfaction of happiness—desirable? Then must man live in a world where the alternative of pain and the likelihood of suffering are ever-present experiential possibilities.

3:5.15 (52.1) Throughout the universe, every unit is regarded as a part of the whole. Survival of the part is dependent on co-operation with the plan and purpose of the whole, the wholehearted desire and perfect willingness to do the Father’s divine will. The only evolutionary world without error (the possibility of unwise judgment) would be a world without free intelligence. In the Havona universe there are a billion perfect worlds with their perfect inhabitants, but evolving man must be fallible if he is to be free. Free and inexperienced intelligence cannot possibly at first be uniformly wise. The possibility of mistaken judgment (evil) becomes sin only when the human will consciously endorses and knowingly embraces a deliberate immoral judgment.

3:5.16 (52.2) The full appreciation of truth, beauty, and goodness is inherent in the perfection of the divine universe. The inhabitants of the Havona worlds do not require the potential of relative value levels as a choice stimulus; such perfect beings are able to identify and choose the good in the absence of all contrastive and thought-compelling moral situations. But all such perfect beings are, in moral nature and spiritual status, what they are by virtue of the fact of existence. They have experientially earned advancement only within their inherent status. Mortal man earns even his status as an ascension candidate by his own faith and hope. Everything divine which the human mind grasps and the human soul acquires is an experiential attainment; it is a realityof personal experience and is therefore a unique possession in contrast to the inherent goodness and righteousness of the inerrant personalities of Havona.

3:5.17 (52.3) The creatures of Havona are naturally brave, but they are not courageous in the human sense. They are innately kind and considerate, but hardly altruistic in the human way. They are expectant of a pleasant future, but not hopeful in the exquisite manner of the trusting mortal of the uncertain evolutionary spheres. They have faith in the stability of the universe, but they are utter strangers to that saving faith whereby mortal man climbs from the status of an animal up to the portals of Paradise. They love the truth, but they know nothing of its soul-saving qualities. They are idealists, but they were born that way; they are wholly ignorant of the ecstasy of becoming such by exhilarating choice. They are loyal, but they have never experienced the thrill of wholehearted and intelligent devotion to duty in the face of temptation to default. They are unselfish, but they never gained such levels of experience by the magnificent conquest of a belligerent self. They enjoy pleasure, but they do not comprehend the sweetness of the pleasure escape from the pain potential.

Last edited by fanofVan on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:44 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

One of my favorite passages

PostPosted:  

Evolution, whether geo or bio or social or religious or personal is a process that is lineal, incremental, and progressive, connecting origin and destiny by transition. But it is not only that.

Sometimes evolution leaps forward by sudden and radical transformation. The word "suddenly" appears 20 times in Papers 58-65 to describe bio-progress related to species transition which defies Darwin's theories of evolution as lineal, sequential chains of genetic natural selection as much as it defies Christianities rejection of evolution as the process of creationism. 

Genetic flow is real but not the exclusive factor in evolutionary transitions and transformative process administered by the Life Carriers. Indeed evolutionary creationism was a theory believed to predate Darwin's own publications by a contemporary of his named Alfred Rusel Wallace who believed evolution was directly manipulated by the Creator. Indeed evolutionary creationism was a theory which predated Darwin's own publications, promoted by a contemporary of his named Alfred Rusel Wallace who believed evolution was directly manipulated by the Creator and was also a proponent of the transmutation of species theory.

Indeed, there was a significant number of naturalists, philosophers, and scientists in the 19th century who supported the, apparently radical, notion that evolutionary creationism was the most reasonable and obvious explanation for ALL physical/material reality...astronomical, geological, and biological.

The UB teaches that genetic mutations are planned if not predictable (that is they are expected, not surprising, and normal events resulting from the Life Carriers work). That some mutations deliver "sudden" and radical evolutionary progress in species which defy the search for lost "links" of origin and progression.

58:6.2 (669.3) Although the evolution of vegetable life can be traced into animal life, and though there have been found graduated series of plants and animals which progressively lead up from the most simple to the most complex and advanced organisms, you will not be able to find such connecting links between the great divisions of the animal kingdom nor between the highest of the prehuman animal types and the dawn men of the human races. These so-called “missing links” will forever remain missing, for the simple reason that they never existed.

58:6.3 (669.4) From era to era radically new species of animal life arise. They do not evolve as the result of the gradual accumulation of small variations; they appear as full-fledged and new orders of life, and they appear suddenly.

58:6.4 (669.5) The sudden appearance of new species and diversified orders of living organisms is wholly biologic, strictly natural. There is nothing supernatural connected with these genetic mutations.

Social and personal evolutionary progress can likewise take sudden turns that accelerate progress. Some of these are intentional causes applied by our rulers and leaders such as the gift of the Son's Spirit of Truth and the Father Fragments and some are the results or effects of such causes.

Progress is never accidental. It is always an effect of intention. A result of choice and decions and action as the cause of all such effects called progress. Some of those are the choices of others and some are the results of our own choices. Progress may not be accidental but certainly is it often surprising.

It can be slow and methodical, even plodding or glacial. But it can also take leaps and bounds and radical shifts and turns. Progress is responsive, an effect of cause. It then becomes cause for new effects. We can all look down our backtrail and find many intersections where choice and change delivered progress to our life, sometimes big changes and new directions with progressive enlightening and experiential wisdom.

8)

PostPosted:  

Personal and social evolution is, like bio evolution, also subject to "survival of the fittest" (Darwin wasn't wrong about everything afterall). The "fittest" is that which survives and, we are taught, only that which is real or reality aligned and attuned will eventually and ultimately survive (again, socially and personally - remember that astro/geo/bio evolution is purely material and foundational to social and personal evolution).

The fittest survive competition and adversity. Both of those cause suffering. Suffering causes thinking, choosing, and doing...to reduce suffering....progress!!

Are there actual advantages and meaning and value which result from human suffering? How are wisdom and enlightenment and perfecting affected by suffering? How is the world and the universe affected by suffering?

How do we evolve by suffering? Remember that evolution is the process of progressive adaptation and perfecting. Let us consider how personal and social progress, evolution, and perfecting benefit from suffering.

We are taught that evolutionary and experiential life in-time is for the perfecting of the imperfect by the freewill choice of each personality born or created in time and imperfection. THIS is the very purpose of time and the plan and process created by the Creators and First Source and Center.

It is immature and blind to ask "Why is there suffering?" when one understands the plan for and purpose of perfecting the imperfect!! How could there possibly be no suffering??!! Consider the objective. All that is imperfect and weak and impure and unreliable and disloyal and untested and incomplete and inadequate and immature and inexperienced and incapable and ignorant and blind and self important and not yet forged and not tempered is not and cannot be perfect.

All of time is about perfecting. The potential of freewill, personality, and experience to develop wisdom and to choose perfecting and to realize truth, beauty, and goodness in both experience and our expressions of that reality experience is to actualize new levels of perfection...perfection achieved by the decisions and choices and actions (experience) of imperfect freewill personality in time.

To focus too intently upon suffering, whether our own or that of others even, tends to blind us and obscure the actual causes and results and very purpose of suffering. We are told early humans do not even think unless hungry or in pain...suffering.

Tools for hunting, gathering, planting, building come only to relieve suffering. Cooperation with others, community, trade, specialization, towns?? Progressive responses to relieve and reduce human suffering! Medicine, mass production, education, music, art, science? To reduce suffering. We act collectively to reduce personal suffering...our own and other's.

And if we don't? More suffering for longer by more people. And what motive best serves this reality? Love of others delivers perfecting progress best and fastest!! Suffering lasts longer and is more acute by acts of self importance. That's a fact. Deal with it. Learn that. Make better choices for better reasons and watch suffering subside and retreat.

Suffering has a purpose. It also has a cause. And it also has a solution. A simple solution. Not easy...but simple. Love one another. The greatest good for the greatest number is also the best for the each as well as for the all. How so?

In two ways...first, the individual is always eventually and ultimately best served when all others also are motivated by love of others. Always. Also...we are wired for reality response...which means our true happiness and joy and contentment and all the fruits of the Spirit only come to us in response to our embrace and expressions of truth, beauty, and goodness - LOVE!!!

103:5.5 (1134.3) Human happiness is achieved only when the ego desire of the self and the altruistic urge of the higher self (divine spirit) are co-ordinated and reconciled by the unified will of the integrating and supervising personality. The mind of evolutionary man is ever confronted with the intricate problem of refereeing the contest between the natural expansion of emotional impulses and the moral growth of unselfish urges predicated on spiritual insight—genuine religious reflection.

103:5.6 (1134.4) The attempt to secure equal good for the self and for the greatest number of other selves presents a problem which cannot always be satisfactorily resolved in a time-space frame. Given an eternal life, such antagonisms can be worked out, but in one short human life they are incapable of solution. Jesus referred to such a paradox when he said: “Whosoever shall save his life shall lose it, but whosoever shall lose his life for the sake of the kingdom, shall find it.”

103:5.7 (1134.5) The pursuit of the ideal—the striving to be Godlike—is a continuous effort before death and after. The life after death is no different in the essentials than the mortal existence. Everything we do in this life which is good contributes directly to the enhancement of the future life. Real religion does not foster moral indolence and spiritual laziness by encouraging the vain hope of having all the virtues of a noble character bestowed upon one as a result of passing through the portals of natural death. True religion does not belittle man’s efforts to progress during the mortal lease on life. Every mortal gain is a direct contribution to the enrichment of the first stages of the immortal survival experience.

103:5.8 (1134.6) It is fatal to man’s idealism when he is taught that all of his altruistic impulses are merely the development of his natural herd instincts. But he is ennobled and mightily energized when he learns that these higher urges of his soul emanate from the spiritual forces that indwell his mortal mind.

103:5.9 (1134.7) It lifts man out of himself and beyond himself when he once fully realizes that there lives and strives within him something which is eternal and divine. And so it is that a living faith in the superhuman origin of our ideals validates our belief that we are the sons of God and makes real our altruistic convictions, the feelings of the brotherhood of man.

103:5.10 (1134. Man, in his spiritual domain, does have a free will. Mortal man is neither a helpless slave of the inflexible sovereignty of an all-powerful God nor the victim of the hopeless fatality of a mechanistic cosmic determinism. Man is most truly the architect of his own eternal destiny.

Me here: God created that which is and those who are perfect. His Paradise Creator Sons have created the universes of time and filled them with imperfect beings, who are each given personality, mind, freewill, and spirit by Paradise Deity, for the adventure of perfecting. 

So how is perfecting achieved by the imperfect? By the experience of adversity. Conflict. Dilemma and paradox. Perplexion and confusions. Problems and puzzles to solve. Disappointments and failure. Resolutions that require teamwork and collaborative cooperation. Right and wrong. Good choices and better choices. Outcomes of choices. Unintended outcomes as well as the intended ones sometimes. Foolishness and wisdom. 

Pain and suffering are not desirable but they are inherently vital parts of the process. The avoidance and reduction and elimination of pain and suffering are the hamner and anvil and fire and water and steam of the forge of perfecting the imperfect by the freewill choices of the imperfect.

Perfection is not and cannot be required or forced upon the imperfect and also be chosen by freewill. Experiential wisdom is a great prize in the universe of universes!! There is no substitute or equal! Experiential wisdom cannot be given or bestowed one to another. There is only one way to acquire and achieve experiential wisdom. 

The personal religious experience delivers first the perfecting and purification of motive and intention and priorities long before experiential wisdom arrives. But the fruits of the Spirit arrive to us and our own suffering is relieved by the very faith experience that purifies our motive and philosophy of living that expresses that religious experience. 

Or so I understand the teachings. 

PostPosted:  

In many ways, planetary progress evolution is dance or a stumble of two steps forward and one step back. We can, have, and do regress from time to time. As a world population we can become distracted by materialism or overcome by anxiety. There are certainly both potential good/progress and error/regression to be chosen with prosperity. There is the folly of the decadence of prosperity that humans are so adept at embracing to their detriment. And then there is the prosperity of leisure expressions which include education, science, art, and religious pursuits which advance the individual and the world in forward progress.

Materialism simply cannot ever deliver true happiness and satisfaction. Disappointment in materialism eventually leads us forward into further progress and wisdom. There are many agents for progress that also work to preserve progress and actualize that progress into social fabric and culture. Progress includes those who lead us forward into change and those who preserve prior change by reluctance to change and then there are those who are fearful of all change and work to be real obstacles to change.

All of these forces actually work together in their way to prevent over-rapid and destructive chaotic and unmanageable and unsustainable change while delivering the fact of change and progress to the greater population incrementally generation after generation. Not all change is good. But neither is the status quo preferable to all change. True progress requires progressives and those who resist progress both. The yin and the yang. The balance and harmony.

On our world, and each such world, there are angels and midwayers and reservists who work to preserve progress and work to create and promote progress. First, the angels:

114:6.4 (1255.3) The twelve corps of the master seraphim of planetary supervision are functional on Urantia as follows:

114:6.5 (1255.4) 1. The epochal angels. These are the angels of the current age, the dispensational group. These celestial ministers are intrusted with the oversight and direction of the affairs of each generation as they are designed to fit into the mosaic of the age in which they occur. The present corps of epochal angels serving on Urantia is the third group assigned to the planet during the current dispensation.

114:6.6 (1255.5) 2. The progress angels. These seraphim are intrusted with the task of initiating the evolutionary progress of the successive social ages. They foster the development of the inherent progressive trend of evolutionary creatures; they labor incessantly to make things what they ought to be. The group now on duty is the second to be assigned to the planet.

114:6.7 (1255.6) 3. The religious guardians. These are the “angels of the churches,” the earnest contenders for that which is and has been. They endeavor to maintain the ideals of that which has survived for the sake of the safe transit of moral values from one epoch to another. They are the checkmates of the angels of progress, all the while seeking to translate from one generation to another the imperishable values of the old and passing forms into the new and therefore less stabilized patterns of thought and conduct. These angels do contend for spiritual forms, but they are not the source of ultrasectarianism and meaningless controversial divisions of professed religionists. The corps now functioning on Urantia is the fifth thus to serve.

114:6.8 (1255.7) 4. The angels of nation life. These are the “angels of the trumpets,” directors of the political performances of Urantia national life. The group now functioning in the overcontrol of international relations is the fourth corps to serve on the planet. It is particularly through the ministry of this seraphic division that “the Most Highs rule in the kingdoms of men.”

114:6.9 (1255.8) 5. The angels of the races. Those who work for the conservation of the evolutionary races of time, regardless of their political entanglements and religious groupings. On Urantia there are remnants of nine human races which have commingled and combined into the people of modern times. These seraphim are closely associated with the ministry of the race commissioners, and the group now on Urantia is the original corps assigned to the planet soon after the day of Pentecost.

114:6.10 (1255.9) 6. The angels of the future. These are the projection angels, who forecast a future age and plan for the realization of the better things of a new and advancing dispensation; they are the architects of the successive eras. The group now on the planet has thus functioned since the beginning of the current dispensation.

114:6.11 (1256.1) 7. The angels of enlightenment. Urantia is now receiving the help of the third corps of seraphim dedicated to the fostering of planetary education. These angels are occupied with mental and moral training as it concerns individuals, families, groups, schools, communities, nations, and whole races.

114:6.12 (1256.2) 8. The angels of health. These are the seraphic ministers assigned to the assistance of those mortal agencies dedicated to the promotion of health and the prevention of disease. The present corps is the sixth group to serve during this dispensation.

114:6.13 (1256.3) 9. The home seraphim. Urantia now enjoys the services of the fifth group of angelic ministers dedicated to the preservation and advancement of the home, the basic institution of human civilization.

114:6.14 (1256.4) 10. The angels of industry. This seraphic group is concerned with fostering industrial development and improving economic conditions among the Urantia peoples. This corps has been seven times changed since the bestowal of Michael.

114:6.15 (1256.5) 11. The angels of diversion. These are the seraphim who foster the values of play, humor, and rest. They ever seek to uplift man’s recreational diversions and thus to promote the more profitable utilization of human leisure. The present corps is the third of that order to minister on Urantia.

114:6.16 (1256.6) 12. The angels of superhuman ministry. These are the angels of the angels, those seraphim who are assigned to the ministry of all other superhuman life on the planet, temporary or permanent. This corps has served since the beginning of the current dispensation.

PostPosted:  

And the Midwayers:

9. The Midway Creatures

38:9.1 (424.1) The midway creatures have a threefold classification: They are properly classified with the ascending Sons of God; they are factually grouped with the orders of permanent citizenship, while they are functionally reckoned with the ministering spirits of time because of their intimate and effective association with the angelic hosts in the work of serving mortal man on the individual worlds of space.

38:9.2 (424.2) These unique creatures appear on the majority of the inhabited worlds and are always found on the decimal or life-experiment planets, such as Urantia. Midwayers are of two types—primary and secondary—and they appear by the following techniques:

38:9.3 (424.3) 1. Primary Midwayers, the more spiritual group, are a somewhat standardized order of beings who are uniformly derived from the modified ascendant-mortal staffs of the Planetary Princes. The number of primary midway creatures is always fifty thousand, and no planet enjoying their ministry has a larger group.

38:9.4 (424.4) 2. Secondary Midwayers, the more material group of these creatures, vary greatly in numbers on the different worlds, though the average is around fifty thousand. They are variously derived from the planetary biologic uplifters, the Adams and Eves, or from their immediate progeny. There are no less than twenty-four diverse techniques involved in the production of these secondary midway creatures on the evolutionary worlds of space. The mode of origin for this group on Urantia was unusual and extraordinary.

38:9.5 (424.5) Neither of these groups is an evolutionary accident; both are essential features in the predetermined plans of the universe architects, and their appearance on the evolving worlds at the opportune juncture is in accordance with the original designs and developmental plans of the supervising Life Carriers.

38:9.6 (424.6) Primary midwayers are energized intellectually and spiritually by the angelic technique and are uniform in intellectual status. The seven adjutant mind-spirits make no contact with them; and only the sixth and the seventh, the spirit of worship and the spirit of wisdom, are able to minister to the secondary group.

38:9.7 (424.7) Secondary midwayers are physically energized by the Adamic technique, spiritually encircuited by the seraphic, and intellectually endowed with the morontia transition type of mind. They are divided into four physical types, seven orders spiritually, and twelve levels of intellectual response to the joint ministry of the last two adjutant spirits and the morontia mind. These diversities determine their differential of activity and of planetary assignment.

38:9.8 (424.8) Primary midwayers resemble angels more than mortals; the secondary orders are much more like human beings. Each renders invaluable assistance to the other in the execution of their manifold planetary assignments. The primary ministers can achieve liaison co-operation with both morontia- and spirit-energy controllers and mind circuiters. The secondary group can establish working connections only with the physical controllers and the material-circuit manipulators. But since each order of midwayer can establish perfect synchrony of contact with the other, either group is thereby able to achieve practical utilization of the entire energy gamut extending from the gross physical power of the material worlds up through the transition phases of universe energies to the higher spirit-reality forces of the celestial realms.

38:9.9 (425.1) The gap between the material and spiritual worlds is perfectly bridged by the serial association of mortal man, secondary midwayer, primary midwayer, morontia cherubim, mid-phase cherubim, and seraphim. In the personal experience of an individual mortal these diverse levels are undoubtedly more or less unified and made personally meaningful by the unobserved and mysterious operations of the divine Thought Adjuster.

38:9.10 (425.2) On normal worlds the primary midwayers maintain their service as the intelligence corps and as celestial entertainers in behalf of the Planetary Prince, while the secondary ministers continue their co-operation with the Adamic regime of furthering the cause of progressive planetary civilization. In case of the defection of the Planetary Prince and the failure of the Material Son, as occurred on Urantia, the midway creatures become the wards of the System Sovereign and serve under the directing guidance of the acting custodian of the planet. But on only three other worlds in Satania do these beings function as one group under unified leadership as do the united midway ministers of Urantia.

38:9.11 (425.3) The planetary work of both primary and secondary midwayers is varied and diverse on the numerous individual worlds of a universe, but on the normal and average planets their activities are very different from the duties which occupy their time on isolated spheres, such as Urantia.

38:9.12 (425.4) The primary midwayers are the planetary historians who, from the time of the arrival of the Planetary Prince to the age of settled light and life, formulate the pageants and design the portrayals of planetary history for the exhibits of the planets on the system headquarters worlds.

38:9.13 (425.5) Midwayers remain for long periods on an inhabited world, but if faithful to their trust, they will eventually and most certainly be recognized for their agelong service in maintaining the sovereignty of the Creator Son; they will be duly rewarded for their patient ministry to the material mortals on their world of time and space. Sooner or later all accredited midway creatures will be mustered into the ranks of the ascending Sons of God and will be duly initiated into the long adventure of the Paradise ascent in company with those very mortals of animal origin, their earth brethren, whom they so jealously guarded and so effectively served during the long planetary sojourn.

8)

PostPosted:  

Planetary, social, religious, and personal evolutionary progress depends upon the family unit in many different ways. Read Papers 81-84 to better understand the reality patterns and evolutionary functionality of the human family.

114:6.13 (1256.3) 9. The home seraphim. Urantia now enjoys the services of the fifth group of angelic ministers dedicated to the preservation and advancement of the home, the basic institution of human civilization.

Me here: I am blessed to have been raised within a strong family unit that extends outward into a cultural tribe and community of in-laws and out-laws where the old attend the small and the young help the old and everyone works together, prays together, and serves one another.

Family. The pattern of reality. The core element of civilization and social progress. The individual and humanity both thrive or suffer by the stability and function of the family. Experiential wisdom is personal in its acquisition but we all share many of the same environments and circumstances and situations and challenges and frustrations and disappointments and victories and triumphs that originate in the family dynamic.

45:6.4 (516.2) No surviving mortal, midwayer, or seraphim may ascend to Paradise, attain the Father, and be mustered into the Corps of the Finality without having passed through that sublime experience of achieving parental relationship to an evolving child of the worlds or some other experience analogous and equivalent thereto. The relationship of child and parent is fundamental to the essential concept of the Universal Father and his universe children. Therefore does such an experience become indispensable to the experiential training of all ascenders.

82:0.2 (913.2) While religious, social, and educational institutions are all essential to the survival of cultural civilization, the family is the master civilizer. A child learns most of the essentials of life from his family and the neighbors.

84:0.3 (931.3) The home is basically a sociologic institution. Marriage grew out of co-operation in self-maintenance and partnership in self-perpetuation, the element of self-gratification being largely incidental. Nevertheless, the home does embrace all three of the essential functions of human existence, while life propagation makes it the fundamental human institution, and sex sets it off from all other social activities.

84:1.8 (932.5) While the mother-child association is neither marriage nor home, it was the nucleus from which both sprang. The great advance in the evolution of mating came when these temporary partnerships lasted long enough to rear the resultant offspring, for that was homemaking.

84:1.9 (932.6) Regardless of the antagonisms of these early pairs, notwithstanding the looseness of the association, the chances for survival were greatly improved by these male-female partnerships. A man and a woman, co-operating, even aside from family and offspring, are vastly superior in most ways to either two men or two women. This pairing of the sexes enhanced survival and was the very beginning of human society. The sex division of labor also made for comfort and increased happiness.

84:6.2 (938.6) Every successful human institution embraces antagonisms of personal interest which have been adjusted to practical working harmony, and homemaking is no exception. Marriage, the basis of home building, is the highest manifestation of that antagonistic co-operation which so often characterizes the contacts of nature and society. The conflict is inevitable. Mating is inherent; it is natural. But marriage is not biologic; it is sociologic. Passion insures that man and woman will come together, but the weaker parental instinct and the social mores hold them together.

84:6.3 (938.7) Male and female are, practically regarded, two distinct varieties of the same species living in close and intimate association. Their viewpoints and entire life reactions are essentially different; they are wholly incapable of full and real comprehension of each other. Complete understanding between the sexes is not attainable.

84:6.4 (938. Women seem to have more intuition than men, but they also appear to be somewhat less logical. Woman, however, has always been the moral standard-bearer and the spiritual leader of mankind. The hand that rocks the cradle still fraternizes with destiny.

84:6.5 (938.9) The differences of nature, reaction, viewpoint, and thinking between men and women, far from occasioning concern, should be regarded as highly beneficial to mankind, both individually and collectively. Many orders of universe creatures are created in dual phases of personality manifestation. Among mortals, Material Sons, and midsoniters, this difference is described as male and female; among seraphim, cherubim, and Morontia Companions, it has been denominated positive or aggressive and negative or retiring. Such dual associations greatly multiply versatility and overcome inherent limitations, even as do certain triune associations in the Paradise-Havona system.

84:6.6 (939.1) Men and women need each other in their morontial and spiritual as well as in their mortal careers. The differences in viewpoint between male and female persist even beyond the first life and throughout the local and superuniverse ascensions. And even in Havona, the pilgrims who were once men and women will still be aiding each other in the Paradise ascent. Never, even in the Corps of the Finality, will the creature metamorphose so far as to obliterate the personality trends that humans call male and female; always will these two basic variations of humankind continue to intrigue, stimulate, encourage, and assist each other; always will they be mutually dependent on co-operation in the solution of perplexing universe problems and in the overcoming of manifold cosmic difficulties.

84:6.7 (939.2) While the sexes never can hope fully to understand each other, they are effectively complementary, and though co-operation is often more or less personally antagonistic, it is capable of maintaining and reproducing society. Marriage is an institution designed to compose sex differences, meanwhile effecting the continuation of civilization and insuring the reproduction of the race.

84:6.8 (939.3) Marriage is the mother of all human institutions, for it leads directly to home founding and home maintenance, which is the structural basis of society. The family is vitally linked to the mechanism of self-maintenance; it is the sole hope of race perpetuation under the mores of civilization, while at the same time it most effectively provides certain highly satisfactory forms of self-gratification. The family is man’s greatest purely human achievement, combining as it does the evolution of the biologic relations of male and female with the social relations of husband and wife.

84:7.28 (941.9) Marriage, with children and consequent family life, is stimulative of the highest potentials in human nature and simultaneously provides the ideal avenue for the expression of these quickened attributes of mortal personality. The family provides for the biologic perpetuation of the human species. The home is the natural social arena wherein the ethics of blood brotherhood may be grasped by the growing children. The family is the fundamental unit of fraternity in which parents and children learn those lessons of patience, altruism, tolerance, and forbearance which are so essential to the realization of brotherhood among all men.

84:7.30 (942.1) Family life is the progenitor of true morality, the ancestor of the consciousness of loyalty to duty. The enforced associations of family life stabilize personality and stimulate its growth through the compulsion of necessitous adjustment to other and diverse personalities. But even more, a true family—a good family—reveals to the parental procreators the attitude of the Creator to his children, while at the same time such true parents portray to their children the first of a long series of ascending disclosures of the love of the Paradise parent of all universe children.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next