Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:01 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted:  

I think the quote posted by Makalu (176:3.8) is not describing a judgment day but refers to Agon D. Onter's points above. The Mansion Worlds are a time of rehabilitation and education based on a personal assessment of progress and deficiencies - we will be weighed and measured and part of that is potential compared to actualization. All of our character and progress is measured by both quantity and quality for a full spectrum of elements related to the 7 Circles and our pre-fusion status.

I think the first "judgment" we face is whether our TA shows up after our slumber!! The UB says only green lights and yellow lights are controlled in the local universe - red lights all go straight to the Super Universe level of administration and rulers for all determinations and judgments beyond the pass-to-proceed. So all local judgments are related only to giving or withholding the pass-to-proceed. If our TA shows up after the slumber, we pass and proceed. If not, then judgment of our future or its lack goes to the Super Universe for consideration and adjudication. There all the records of our life in the flesh are examined in detail and the mercy credits used and remaining are measured and potential for further progress and realization of potential are determined and only then is there actually any finality to judgment....or so I understand.

A review of Paper 112 corrects my thinking on this...the TA's determinations are verified by the Super Universe authorities during our slumber to verify the green light go ahead...or not!

Keyword search for "judgment":

https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

30:4.11 2. Sleeping Survivors. All mortals of survival status, in the custody of personal guardians of destiny, pass through the portals of natural death and, on the third period, personalize on the mansion worlds. Those accredited beings who have, for any reason, been unable to attain that level of intelligence mastery and endowment of spirituality which would entitle them to personal guardians, cannot thus immediately and directly go to the mansion worlds. Such surviving souls must rest in unconscious sleep until the judgment day of a new epoch, a new dispensation, the coming of a Son of God to call the rolls of the age and adjudicate the realm, and this is the general practice throughout all Nebadon. It was said of Christ Michael that, when he ascended on high at the conclusion of his work on earth, “He led a great multitude of captives.” And these captives were the sleeping survivors from the days of Adam to the day of the Master's resurrection on Urantia.

28:6.6 The Memory of Mercy is a living trial balance, a current statement of your account with the supernatural forces of the realms. These are the living records of mercy ministration which are read into the testimony of the courts of Uversa when each individual's right to unending life comes up for adjudication, when “thrones are cast up and the Ancients of Days are seated. The broadcasts of Uversa issue and come forth from before them; thousands upon thousands minister to them, and ten thousand times ten thousand stand before them. The judgment is set, and the books are opened.” And the books which are opened on such a momentous occasion are the living records of the tertiary seconaphim of the superuniverses. The formal records are on file to corroborate the testimony of the Memories of Mercy if they are required.

28:6.7 The Memory of Mercy must show that the saving credit established by the Sons of God has been fully and faithfully paid out in the loving ministry of the patient personalities of the Third Source and Center. But when mercy is exhausted, when the “memory” thereof testifies to its depletion, then does justice prevail and righteousness decree. For mercy is not to be thrust upon those who despise it; mercy is not a gift to be trampled under foot by the persistent rebels of time. Nevertheless, though mercy is thus precious and dearly bestowed, your individual drawing credits are always far in excess of your ability to exhaust the reserve if you are sincere of purpose and honest of heart.

28:6.9 3. The Import of Time. Time is the one universal endowment of all will creatures; it is the “one talent” intrusted to all intelligent beings. You all have time in which to insure your survival; and time is fatally squandered only when it is buried in neglect, when you fail so to utilize it as to make certain the survival of your soul. Failure to improve one's time to the fullest extent possible does not impose fatal penalties; it merely retards the pilgrim of time in his journey of ascent. If survival is gained, all other losses can be retrieved.

28:6.10 In the assignment of trusts the counsel of the Imports of Time is invaluable. Time is a vital factor in everything this side of Havona and Paradise. In the final judgment before the Ancients of Days, time is an element of evidence. The Imports of Time must always afford testimony to show that every defendant has had ample time for making decisions, achieving choice.

112:4.2 (1231.2) In some way not fully understood, the Universal Censors are able to gain possession of an epitome of the human life as it is embodied in the Adjuster’s duplicate transcription of the spiritual values and morontia meanings of the indwelt mind. The Censors are able to appropriate the Adjuster’s version of the deceased human’s survival character and spiritual qualities, and all this data, together with the seraphic records, is available for presentation at the time of the adjudication of the individual concerned. This information is also used to confirm those superuniverse mandates which make it possible for certain ascenders immediately to begin their morontia careers, upon mortal dissolution to proceed to the mansion worlds ahead of the formal termination of a planetary dispensation.

112:5.6 (1233.2) Though the cosmic circles of personality growth must eventually be attained, if, through no fault of your own, the accidents of time and the handicaps of material existence prevent your mastering these levels on your native planet, if your intentions and desires are of survival value, there are issued the decrees of probation extension. You will be afforded additional time in which to prove yourself.

112:5.7 (1233.3) If ever there is doubt as to the advisability of advancing a human identity to the mansion worlds, the universe governments invariably rule in the personal interests of that individual; they unhesitatingly advance such a soul to the status of a transitional being, while they continue their observations of the emerging morontia intent and spiritual purpose. Thus divine justice is certain of achievement, and divine mercy is accorded further opportunity for extending its ministry.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:02 pm +0000, edited 8 times in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

katroofjebus wrote:
Do you think we will be asked to give an accounting of our endowments and stewardships of this world on one single Judgment Day?

Well these quotes suggest judgement happens, but nailing it down to a day might be difficult, think about Lucifer vs Gabriel - the Ancients are still working on it.

From paper 43:2.4 The higher you ascend in the universe, the more certain you are to be judged by those of your own kind.

And from paper 133:4.7 To the Roman judge he said: "As you judge men, remember that you yourself will also some day come to judgment before the bar of the Rulers of a universe.

So yeah, judgement will happen, possibly more than one time.

PostPosted:  

As we know from the UB, the universes and our eternal progression is like school. Just as we get 'graded' at the end of each year of our school education, and we have 12 grades and then university and maybe graduate and post-graduate ambitions, we have the 7 circles of progress and potential Fusion and Finaliter status. So, yes, I believe we are judged/ graded more than one time. We have ample opportunity to assess and understand our progress or lack thereof and what we need to develop in ourselves to keep moving forward.

Remember, as long as our direction is "Godward", we are doing okay.

Quote:
147:5.7 (1653.1) That same evening Jesus made the long-to-be-remembered address to the apostles regarding the relative value of status with God and progress in the eternal ascent to Paradise. Said Jesus: “My children, if there exists a true and living connection between the child and the Father, the child is certain to progress continuously toward the Father’s ideals. True, the child may at first make slow progress, but the progress is none the less sure. The important thing is not the rapidity of your progress but rather its certainty. Your actual achievement is not so important as the fact that the direction of your progress is Godward. What you are becoming day by day is of infinitely more importance than what you are today.

PostPosted:  

Here’s more to suggest judgement happens frequently

From paper 131:7.3 If you are not right on the inside, it is useless to pray for that which is on the outside.'If I hear your prayers, it is because you come before me with a clean heart, free from falsehood and hypocrisy, with a soul which reflects truth like a mirror.

If your praying to Jesus he is making judgement on your soul.

And this from paper 140:3.19
"I warn you against false prophets who will come to you in sheep's clothing, while on the inside they are as ravening wolves.

Isn’t Jesus trying to help someone make judgement?

When we can sense another persons hidden Wolfe nature or their spiritual fragrance, isn’t this making judgement??

PostPosted:  

Found where the topic of "final judgement" was previously discussed here.

For example, lwatkins wrote:

"Well I think that there really is not gonna be any “final judgment”. At least not in the classical sense of God judging mankind as good or bad and passing a sentence on us, as a race.

However, in the near and dear, each and every one of us will face a judgment when we pass thru the portals of natural death. And that judgment will determine if we are allowed to continue into a life of eternal achievement. And even if we are allowed to continue the eternal adventure, the life we lived will be judged as to if we are allowed to continue in only 3 “days”, or wait until the next dispensation. Finally, our life here will be judged, with the outcome being where (spiritually) we will begin our next existence. So yes, there’s a lot of judgment just around the bend, but it’s only “final” if we choose not to survive."

PostPosted:  

“ Finally, our life here will be judged, with the outcome being where (spiritually) we will begin our next existence. So yes, there’s a lot of judgment just around the bend, but it’s only “final” if we choose not to survive”.

Do you think that judgement is required if a person makes the decision to not survive?
As opposed to choosing and being drawn completely into iniquity?

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:
“ Finally, our life here will be judged, with the outcome being where (spiritually) we will begin our next existence. So yes, there’s a lot of judgment just around the bend, but it’s only “final” if we choose not to survive”.

Do you think that judgement is required if a person makes the decision to not survive?
As opposed to choosing and being drawn completely into iniquity?

I do think there is still an adjudication process required to be very certain the decision is informed, knowing, irrevocable, and subject to the mercy credits and time allowances:

28:6.6 The Memory of Mercy is a living trial balance, a current statement of your account with the supernatural forces of the realms. These are the living records of mercy ministration which are read into the testimony of the courts of Uversa when each individual's right to unending life comes up for adjudication, when “thrones are cast up and the Ancients of Days are seated. The broadcasts of Uversa issue and come forth from before them; thousands upon thousands minister to them, and ten thousand times ten thousand stand before them. The judgment is set, and the books are opened.” And the books which are opened on such a momentous occasion are the living records of the tertiary seconaphim of the superuniverses. The formal records are on file to corroborate the testimony of the Memories of Mercy if they are required.

28:6.7 The Memory of Mercy must show that the saving credit established by the Sons of God has been fully and faithfully paid out in the loving ministry of the patient personalities of the Third Source and Center. But when mercy is exhausted, when the “memory” thereof testifies to its depletion, then does justice prevail and righteousness decree. For mercy is not to be thrust upon those who despise it; mercy is not a gift to be trampled under foot by the persistent rebels of time. Nevertheless, though mercy is thus precious and dearly bestowed, your individual drawing credits are always far in excess of your ability to exhaust the reserve if you are sincere of purpose and honest of heart.

28:6.9 3. The Import of Time. Time is the one universal endowment of all will creatures; it is the “one talent” intrusted to all intelligent beings. You all have time in which to insure your survival; and time is fatally squandered only when it is buried in neglect, when you fail so to utilize it as to make certain the survival of your soul. Failure to improve one's time to the fullest extent possible does not impose fatal penalties; it merely retards the pilgrim of time in his journey of ascent. If survival is gained, all other losses can be retrieved.

28:6.10 In the assignment of trusts the counsel of the Imports of Time is invaluable. Time is a vital factor in everything this side of Havona and Paradise. In the final judgment before the Ancients of Days, time is an element of evidence. The Imports of Time must always afford testimony to show that every defendant has had ample time for making decisions, achieving choice.

PostPosted:  

no sophist wrote:

And this from paper 140:3.19
"I warn you against false prophets who will come to you in sheep's clothing, while on the inside they are as ravening wolves.

Isn’t Jesus trying to help someone make judgement?

When we can sense another persons hidden Wolfe nature or their spiritual fragrance, isn’t this making judgement??

Exercising our own judgement in choosing friends/ associates and choosing whom/ what to believe is different from the 'day of judgement', obviously. Of course, we are told to "Be wise as serpents, harmless as doves" and to do so requires using our own discernment (judgement) to make moral choices and to ascertain what leads us Godward vs. not.

PostPosted:  

I don't think Jesus judges anyone because it is written that a Creator Son never sits in judgment of his own creatures. It would be like the courts asking me to be the judge and jury of my own child if he/she were being tried for some illegal behavior. Reference:

(372:06) 33:7.1 The Master Son, Michael, is supremely concerned with but three things: creation, sustenance, and ministry. He does not personally participate in the judicial work of the universe. Creators never sit in judgment on their creatures; that is the exclusive function of creatures of high training and actual creature experience.

I agree that the idea of attaching guilt and punishment to judgment is primitive, or immature. I like the idea of judgment being something that the one being judged can actually accept and agree to. After all, what good is suffering the consequences of your own transgression if you don't feel as though it's deserved or fair? I don't think there's much positive growth from that sort of experience, just resentment. Didn't Jesus raise Joseph's children that way? It seems as though he treated his earth family the same way he treats his universe family. Reference:

(1401.3) 127:4.3 Jesus began wise discipline upon his brothers and sisters at such an early age that little or no punishment was ever required to secure their prompt and wholehearted obedience. The only exception was Jude, upon whom on sundry occasions Jesus found it necessary to impose penalties for his infractions of the rules of the home. On three occasions when it was deemed wise to punish Jude for self-confessed and deliberate violations of the family rules of conduct, his punishment was fixed by the unanimous decree of the older children and was assented to by Jude himself before it was inflicted.

I agree that every decision we make determines our path, both in this life and the next. By our decisions we are either accepting opportunities for growth or rejecting them. Sometimes people reject an opportunity out of fear, doubt, confusion or ignorance. I don't think any of those things are held against us, neither at the time they happen nor at a later time of adjudication. It is written that those missed opportunities to do the Father's will have simply slowed our progress. These opportunities happen everyday, and all day, while we are awake and conscious. So in a sense, by dealing with the consequences of our decisions, or lack of decisions, we are participating in our own on-going judgment.

Although I cannot imagine rejecting every single opportunity for growth, I suppose there must be a few who do such a thing and thus squander all of their "talents" and choose non-survival. I would say a person who does such a thing must be knowingly participating, and by that I mean rejecting the Father's will without any doubt, confusion, fear or ignorance of any kind whatsoever. Otherwise, I think a loving Father would give that individual more time.

PostPosted:  

well the lead-in to the section i posted earlier is this:

Quote:
In accordance with the truth committed to your hands will the Master of truth require a reckoning.

but i'll agree that the Master isn't judging...we are sufficiently judged by our own accounting. recall the indolent servant knew beforehand there was to be an accounting and was guilty by his own admission.

PostPosted:  

The Master of truth requires a reckoning, but the word "reckoning" has more than one meaning. Some prefer to think of a "reckoning" as an avenging or punishment for misdeeds. I don't believe the Master would ever think that way. By using the word "reckoning", I think the author means an assessment of the value of one's thoughts, words and deeds.

PostPosted:  

This reminds me of the Dutch word rekening, which means a bill for amount due (like in a restaurant). Reckoning/ rekening meaning to calculate the cost, the amount due, to settle ones account balance.

PostPosted:  

Indeed kat and Agon D. Onter! There are 4 distinct meanings - see #1, #2, and #3:

reck·on·ing
[ˈrek(ə)niNG]

NOUN

1. the action or process of calculating or estimating something.

synonyms:
calculation · estimation · computation · working out · summation · counting · addition · total · tally · score

2. a person's view, opinion, or judgment.

synonyms:
opinion · view · judgment · evaluation · way of thinking · estimate · estimation · appraisal · consideration
archaic

3. a bill or account, or its settlement.

synonyms:
bill · invoice · statement · list of charges · reckoning · tally · debt · amount due · check · tab · score

4. the avenging or punishing of past mistakes or misdeeds.

synonyms:
retribution · fate · doom · nemesis · judgment · punishment · what is coming to someone

reck·on

[ˈrekən]

VERB

1. establish by counting or calculation; calculate.

synonyms:
calculate · compute · work out · put a figure on · figure · number ·

2. include someone or something in (a class or group).
"
synonyms:
include · count · number · consider to be · deem to be ·

3. conclude after calculation; be of the opinion.

synonyms:
believe · think · be of the opinion · be of the view · be convinced ·

4. consider or regard in a specified way.

synonyms:
regard as · consider · judge · hold to be · view · think of as ·

5. rely on or be sure of doing, having, or dealing with.
"
synonyms:
rely on · depend on · count on · place reliance on · bargain on ·

William - what an interesting discussion you have initiated by your questions and topic!! Thanks a million!!

:wink: :idea: 8)

PostPosted:  

well the nature of the reckoning is given in the next bit already posted:

Quote:
176:3.8 In the next world you will be asked to give an account of the endowments and stewardships of this world. Whether inherent talents are few or many, a just and merciful reckoning must be faced. If endowments are used only in selfish pursuits and no thought is bestowed upon the higher duty of obtaining increased yield of the fruits of the spirit, as they are manifested in the ever-expanding service of men and the worship of God, such selfish stewards must accept the consequences of their deliberate choosing.

PostPosted:  

What is the difference between "judgement" and "assessment"?

I suppose one main difference is that some important action is implicit upon judgement whereas it is not with assessment.

What is the difference between "judgement" and "reckoning"?

I suppose the above applies to some extent also. But reckoning is usually done as a provisioning process to allow something positive to happen in the future, isn't it?

P.S. The Swedish verb räkna is pretty much an exact cognate of reckon, as is the German verb rechnen, Danish regne, Norwegian regner and Frisian rekkenje. This indicates, I believe, the very high level of cultural continuity that was inherited thousands of years ago from that latest group of Andites who held Denmark as their military headquarters and which became the last emigration point before dissolving into the peoples of Northwestern Europe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next