Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:43 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

The Wikipedia page describes the copyright issues with the Urantia Foundation's rights to the copyright of the Urantia Book. From what I read the understanding is (please correct me if I'm wrong) the Urantia Foundation made the case for their exclusive right to print the Urantia Book and lost in the 1980s or early 2000s. The reasoning was that there was no author to the book to claim the copyright.

However, today while the book is available online for free and anyone can print the book, The Urantia Foundation still maintains copyright control over certain brands like the three concentric circles and names like Urantia Fellowship or Brotherhood etc.

This gets me thinking: was this book originally purely put together for the profit motive or does the Urantia foundation have a beautiful message to share with the world? Had they maintained the copyright, would they have built a religious institution around the book with Mo Siegel as the Pope of Urantia?

I understand that those are harsh accusations, but this copyright issue really sounds problematic. I suppose you could say the human beings of the Urantia Foundation are flawed and this is just one small blemish on their record of bringing to the world something beautiful.

I just would like somebody to clear this up for me.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Mo was barely in short pants when the UB was published and there have been generations of Trustees who donated millions of dollars and lifetimes of dedicated service to the Foundation's task of printing, publishing, translating, and global distribution of the UB...without any compensation for such loyalty and dedication to a common cause and ideal.

The readership has donated tens of millions of dollars over the past 70 years to the registered nonprofit Foundation who has published their financials every single year of existence. Book sale proceeds finally broke even with book printing costs a couple of years ago for the first time in 60+ years. I can attest and assure you no one has ever made fortune or fame by working with the Foundation or Brotherhood or Fellowship or Association.

Which is rather ironic since that first break even year was also the first year that the number of free downloads equaled book sales! Book sales do not pay for translations which are very expensive- 16 done, more in production and all constantly under review and revision. It will now become a challenge again to break even in book printing costs while giving away the book in all languages. A very poor business model for greedy mogul types!!!!!

The copyright issue was an internal family dispute in which many of us were involved and is irrelevant to all others and to the contents of the Papers which speak for themselves and stand on their own merit.

Your accusations and insinuations are unfounded, misplaced, puzzling, insulting, and reflect poorly on their source! Any cursory research on Mo would discover his personal success in business as founder of a natural herbal tea company, Celestial Seasonings in 1969. Mo was an idealistic hippie roaming the mountains of Colorado, picking and packaging fresh wild herbs. He and his wife have served the Urantia movement in many ways and roles over the decades. His reputation so far as I know is impeccable.

While I did meet Mo in the 90's at a conference when we both belonged to the Fellowship and a couple of events since, he does not know me and we are not friends nor am I affiliated with the Foundation (but Mo and I are of a certain generation that shares much in experience and perspective). My opinion of regard for Mo is widespread among other dedicated and experienced servants of dissemination.

Such an odd way to approach any community. Unfortunate.

Bradly

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:00 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:

The copyright issue was an internal family dispute in which many of us were involved and is irrelevant to all others and to the contents of the Papers which speak for themselves and stand on their own merit.

Your accusations and insinuations are unfounded, misplaced, puzzling, insulting, and reflect poorly on their source!

Bradly

I apologize.

When I read about the copyright issue, it brings to mind an argument some people make asserting that Bibles should never be copyrighted. Many also argue that the greatest treasures in life should be shared and be free. I enjoy reading the UB a lot and the controversy regarding the copyright seems rather petty for a community I increasingly admire.

The copyright issue also sounds like something the Church of Scientology would do.

I'm only saying that I would expect better.

PostPosted:  

People are people...even Urantia Book readers!!! Hahaha!!!

It is my understanding that the copyright was eventually lost because human authorship could not be demonstrated or proven. Neither anonymous nor celestial authored works may be copyrighted. It never had anything to do with money.

The Foundation's mission is protection of contents and global distribution of the contents received and recorded in the early 20th century. Loss of copyright added certain difficulties and complications to that mission.

No worries. Enjoy your studies.

8)

PostPosted:  

Well thank you very much for clearing that up.

PostPosted:  

William S. wrote:
Well thank you very much for clearing that up.

You're welcome and allow me to apologize too. You did not insult me after all. Seeking information about affiliated organizations and leadership and members and their history is reasonable and offers insight in meaningful ways.

I overreacted. My bad. Sorry about that. :wink:

PostPosted:  

On this issue, especially, Bradly knows whereof he speaks.

PostPosted:  

Dear William S.,

The copyright is a topic that is off-limits here on this Forum. Please look over the rules of posting here:

https://truthbook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3582 in which you will read:

Quote:
The following Urantia movement-related controversies are banned from discussion in any of the forums (overt or covert):
* The Teaching Mission / Channeling. (We have no issue with people who believe they are communicating with non-human entities, or spiritual beings, or even with themselves. But this is not the forum for people to discuss those presumed communications.)
* The Copyright.
* Individual people that read The Urantia Book that do not please you.
* Urantia Book organizations that do not please you.

There is a simple reason that we do not allow these topics at all: They are divisive. These topics have been shown to disrupt and disable Urantia Book forums. If you want to discuss the above forbidden topics, please do so on another forum or with one another by way of email or Private Messages (PM). Then -- once you have vented your spleen -- come back here. Seriously, we are just not interested.

the management.

PostPosted:  

Sorry Maryjo...I forgot.

Bradly

PostPosted:  

The unexpected consequence of William's off-limits post is our education on the topic! Thanks to he moderator for not deleting the thread.