Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:43 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Eternity
PostPosted:  

I cannot seem to grasp the idea of eternity. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it means to them? Is the human mind not capable of such a concept as it relates to time. Thanks for any thoughts...Liz

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Eternity
PostPosted:  

Liz wrote:
I cannot seem to grasp the idea of eternity. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what it means to them? Is the human mind not capable of such a concept as it relates to time. Thanks for any thoughts...Liz

Hey Liz,

The finite minds never could truly understand, existentially or experientially, what eternity is, according to the revelators. However, once we achieve the absonite level of divinity, we do begin to approximate or approach it. Also I think we can find natural events analogous to eternity to gain a semblance of understanding to its nature. Eternity has no alpha or omega. When we dream, normally the event has no beginning or finale; I think dreams convey imperfectly eternity.

PostPosted:  

Liz wrote:

As the saying goes, "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it!"

PostPosted:  

Greetings Liz!!

0:12.13 We are fully cognizant of the difficulties of our assignment; we recognize the impossibility of fully translating the language of the concepts of divinity and eternity into the symbols of the language of the finite concepts of the mortal mind. But we know that there dwells within the human mind a fragment of God, and that there sojourns with the human soul the Spirit of Truth; and we further know that these spirit forces conspire to enable material man to grasp the reality of spiritual values and to comprehend the philosophy of universe meanings. But even more certainly we know that these spirits of the Divine Presence are able to assist man in the spiritual appropriation of all truth contributory to the enhancement of the ever-progressing reality of personal religious experience—God-consciousness.

Me here: I think it is good to contemplate the impossible and the conundrums of paradox. It stretches the mind toward concepts we will come to understand better and better over long time frames. I think eternity can easily be perceived in one direction - the endless future of our adventure!! But the circle of eternity? The no-beginnings of eternity is tough.

One of the wonders of the teachings, for me, is the reality that ascending mortals from the farthest reaches of time and most distant from eternity in origin and nature are essential to God's nature and experience....we set God free! We access eternity and infinity through God and God accesses time and space and experience and the expressions of wisdom acquisition through God's children and creation. And then there is the God of Time and Experience....the Supreme. So much to contemplate and consider to stretch our minds and require our transcendence to approach and embrace.

Time and space, beginning and ending, are elements of and come forth from the eternal and the infinite...they are its dispersions for the creation of new potentials from actuals whereby as potentials become actuals ever new potentials come forth for ever more actuals to come in a perfecting feed back loop without end to come that will always create and perfect its expressions of realization.

10:0.1 THE PARADISE TRINITY of eternal Deities facilitates the Father's escape from personality absolutism. The Trinity perfectly associates the limitless expression of God's infinite personal will with the absoluteness of Deity. The Eternal Son and the various Sons of divine origin, together with the Conjoint Actor and his universe children, effectively provide for the Father's liberation from the limitations otherwise inherent in primacy, perfection, changelessness, eternity, universality, absoluteness, and infinity.

10:1.1 It would seem that the Father, back in eternity, inaugurated a policy of profound self-distribution. There is inherent in the selfless, loving, and lovable nature of the Universal Father something which causes him to reserve to himself the exercise of only those powers and that authority which he apparently finds it impossible to delegate or to bestow.

10:1.2 The Universal Father all along has divested himself of every part of himself that was bestowable on any other Creator or creature. He has delegated to his divine Sons and their associated intelligences every power and all authority that could be delegated. He has actually transferred to his Sovereign Sons, in their respective universes, every prerogative of administrative authority that was transferable. In the affairs of a local universe, he has made each Sovereign Creator Son just as perfect, competent, and authoritative as is the Eternal Son in the original and central universe. He has given away, actually bestowed, with the dignity and sanctity of personality possession, all of himself and all of his attributes, everything he possibly could divest himself of, in every way, in every age, in every place, and to every person, and in every universe except that of his central indwelling.

:idea: :!: :biggrin: :wink: 8)

PostPosted:  

It seems to me that one way the administering spirits (including the adjuster) try to prepare us to appreciate eternity and the infinite is to sort of present some symbol we recognize. Then the symbol is again presented wrapped inside itself in a replicated way, as sort of a first stage fractal image. Then again the wrapped symbol is sub-replicated and represented. And on and on again until we see that even our concept of space evaporates, being consumed by the replicating symbol. Of course, this is done not in the visual realm but in the morontial realm where it takes on an aspect of architecture rather than imagery. Maybe this is somewhat like that described here?

Quote:
27:6.4 (303.2) These Paradise philosophers teach by every possible method of instruction, including the higher graph technique of Havona and certain Paradise methods of communicating information. All of these higher techniques of imparting knowledge and conveying ideas are utterly beyond the comprehension capacity of even the most highly developed human mind. One hour’s instruction on Paradise would be the equivalent of ten thousand years of the word-memory methods of Urantia. You cannot grasp such communication techniques, and there is simply nothing in mortal experience with which they may be compared, nothing to which they can be likened.

PostPosted:  

the UB proffers that the I AM implies I WAS and I WILL BE and that all of the past and all of the future are contained in the everlasting NOW...a moment standing still forever i can fiddle with but the never-beginning thing escapes me...am too timebound.

PostPosted:  

Grasp of eternity as a nonintellectual concept, as an approach to reality, might be through rational human facts, theoretical potential or experiencial actuality. What is eternal is not necessarily Urantia, but Paradise. How could you shift from the identification of life in a temporal multiverse, to the central identification. The other eternal potential is the survival of your indvidual human soul. I think you must approach that through faith, and to make any actual determination creates the risk of entering finitude temporality temporariness with your judgment.

What is eternal to me, the forms theorized by pythagorus, the retained experiences that the Supreme Being has gained throughout time. They are not eternal in origin. What set of experiences become finalised, which had not this eternity of origin?

If you have establishment of relationship with the eternal ones, then you will come to believe in the potential for your loved ones' survival. This comes perhaps through Jesus, in that the Spirit of Truth may confirm the pathway which delivers the souls of Urantia unto Paradise. Somehow, his teachings allow the spiritual ascension of human maturation to become sensible, and acceptible. He is a rational link in relationships, along with every Apostle and Saint who possesses the unquestionable mantle of cosmic citizenship. Knowing those who are eternal creates the link in the human mind, within the human belief system of self-identification, by which one may identify as one who may be eternal. But this may only be a false notion, and all of the actuality within these relationships are personal and may be called delusional by others in society.

What is your relationship to the eternal, however? The pleading of parents for children to find usefulness, is that in the work your hands find to do each day, both you and the universe must be renewed. You must become emptied and exhausted in your physical and intellectual pursuits, so that new capacities may develop in your physical and morontial phisiologies. Without the pursuit of happiness, the innate drive, there is no supernality of man. Through the careful application of your own will, is how you will begin to discover what is final within the universe, and within the cosmic timeline of creation. Consider this, perhaps not in what you know to be eternal, but that which you divinely pray to maintain eternally within this universe.

PostPosted:  

Thank you so much for your replies. FanoVan your references were especially helpful and I think I have a better grasp now. The thought of forever is still kind of scarey...don't know why...maybe my age (86) and feel so much to learn..so little time. Will keep reading. Liz

PostPosted:  

Liz wrote:
Thank you so much for your replies. FanoVan your references were especially helpful and I think I have a better grasp now. The thought of forever is still kind of scarey...don't know why...maybe my age (86) and feel so much to learn..so little time. Will keep reading. Liz

Dear Sister....actually you have...FOREVER! Hahahahaha! The first step in understanding eternity, I think, is to consider "forever". The adventure begun here in this material world and body is begun and comes to an end so quickly. But the Holy Spirit gives hope for and assurance of our continued existance and ticket to eternal life. This is not some mortal hope or ideal or fantasy. God puts within our minds this very real hope and assurance of that hope.

You may wish to consider the topic of "assurance"...here's a link to a recent topic I started:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5434

5:1.12 The great God makes direct contact with mortal man and gives a part of his infinite and eternal and incomprehensible self to live and dwell within him. God has embarked upon the eternal adventure with man. If you yield to the leadings of the spiritual forces in you and around you, you cannot fail to attain the high destiny established by a loving God as the universe goal of his ascendant creatures from the evolutionary worlds of space.

14:5.10 Love of adventure, curiosity, and dread of monotony—these traits inherent in evolving human nature—were not put there just to aggravate and annoy you during your short sojourn on earth, but rather to suggest to you that death is only the beginning of an endless career of adventure, an everlasting life of anticipation, an eternal voyage of discovery.

14:5.11 Curiosity—the spirit of investigation, the urge of discovery, the drive of exploration—is a part of the inborn and divine endowment of evolutionary space creatures. These natural impulses were not given you merely to be frustrated and repressed. True, these ambitious urges must frequently be restrained during your short life on earth, disappointment must be often experienced, but they are to be fully realized and gloriously gratified during the long ages to come.

Enjoy the adventure Liz...it has barely begun!

Bradly :wink: :biggrin: 8)

PostPosted:  

Liz I certainly didn't mean to make "light" of your deep question and I apologize if my comment came across that way.

I have discovered that (for me personally at least) some of these mind boggling questions tend to gradually clear up if we set them on the back burner for a little. My first readings of the Urantia Book were very awe inspiring and challenged everything I believed, yet at the same time I was totally convinced that this was the path I was supposed to follow.

I don't know if you studied the Bible before discovering the Urantia Book, but there is an interesting passage in Isaiah 28:9 and 10 that says "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:"

Although these verses are surrounded by some other complicated subjects, this section always spoke to me regarding learning and growing in spiritual things, one step at a time, one day at a time following as best we can and trying to learn. Some of these supernal concepts and explanations are hard to understand at first, but gradually we begin to see things more clearly as time goes on. The idea of eternity is indeed difficult to grasp, as are many other subjects presented in the Urantia Book, but rest assured that there are folks here happy to help you along your path. I wish you the best!

PostPosted:  

Hello Liz and All,

Your post made me think of the phrase about God inhabiting the "circle of eternity;" This circular idea of God is one that is helpful to me - even though, like you, I find trying to really comprehend it not possible. But when I think about a big circle, I can then imagine a lot of lines that start and stop inside of that circle, but that never cross its border. Everything that ever has happened or ever will happen, happens within that circle. I did a search for "circle of eternity," and there are many references, but I'll just post this one here:

Quote:
4:1.6 The Universal Father has not withdrawn from the management of the universes; he is not an inactive Deity. If God should retire as the present upholder of all creation, there would immediately occur a universal collapse. Except for God, there would be no such thing as reality. At this very moment, as during the remote ages of the past and in the eternal future, God continues to uphold. The divine reach extends around the circle of eternity. The universe is not wound up like a clock to run just so long and then cease to function; all things are constantly being renewed. The Father unceasingly pours forth energy, light, and life. The work of God is literal as well as spiritual. "He stretches out the north over the empty space and hangs the earth upon nothing."

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

Again, thanks to all for your responses...loved your haha Van...more to ponder and try to digest. I will check out all of the references and stretch my brain as much as it will take! Liz

PostPosted:  

What I have come to love the most about the UB is its constsnt reassurance that our hopes to survive death and seek eternity will be rewarded. We are told it is the fact and experience of our life that is more important to our future than the progress achieved in this life...and that the fact of spirit progress and the direction of our inner journey is far more important than the distance traveled in this short leg of the eternal journey.

While some amongst us here insist on measuring the journey and worthiness of others and demand certain requirements for our salvation, nonetheless is the UB certain in its words that our motives, intentions, hopes, ideals, and faith will indeed deliver us to the resurrection and the eternal adventure on the other side. The promised land Jesus described awaits all of us who simply open the door to our heart and mind to the knock and voice of the Spirit.

So rest easy Sister and be not troubled. Your brain is stretched plenty far already....I know mine is anyway ...hahaha.

It is not what we know so much as what we hope and strive to become that delivers growth in the Spirit. God loves his children. We may have confidence in that assurance.

8) Bradly