Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Personality issues
PostPosted:  

nod/Enno says above: "Here in this Urantia Book online forum, which is probably due to the impersonal and indirect nature of the internet, a lot of personal antagonism gets expressed by certain members towards others regularly. How they feel that what someone has said in a post is some kind of an atrocity, which then gets rather personal and more than a bit below the belt in my opinion. Unnecessary. Below the dignity of supposed spiritually advanced people set apart in the world because of the graciousness of an epochal revelation.

And all of this (if I may) drives me to tears."

This is both an unfortunate tangent away from such an important topic and it is also a most unfortunate self serving expression of insincerity by nod.

Since joining TruthBook some 3 years ago or so, no one, and I mean no one, has been more consistent in vile personal attacks on multiple topics than nod/enno!!! On at least 3 such topics he has "sincerely" apologized for his unholy tirades and attacks on others - including Agon D. Onter and myself....to only later do so again and again.

Now comes nod with piety, sanctimony, and indignation with smug inferences and accusations against others of his own patterns of behavior here. I look forward to you taking responsibility for your own acts and seeing to the beams in your own eyes.

I would like to think you have reconsidered your own behaviors and have repented of those you so frequently demonstrated here at TB over the years...but any remorse you have shown so far seems to evaporate soon enough. You recently called me a "tool" on another forum....and when called out claimed the insult to be a compliment. Weird...not friendly.

Do you think that written record of your many posts here unknown or unremembered? Irrelevant perhaps? I don't get it.

Many of us here regularly welcome new students and readers and embrace the opportunity to share the UB with those who sincerely approach the text with hope and seeking knowledge, truth, and understanding. This and many other topics are examples of that format and outcome.

And then there are those who come here with preconceptions, attitudes, motives, and agendas seeking an audience for their own theories and beliefs....like you Enno....always telling others what to do and not to do and believe and not to believe...you posting tirades about the "Dangers" of the UB with your own agenda and attitude. Your behaviors here are no example of your stated ideals Enno....including this most recent post expressing your relentless disappointment in others, your own superiority, and accusing others of your own behaviors!!

I agree that many come here also to deceive and disrupt and diminish the potential for fraternity and sharing of the teachings and truths discovered in the religous life. Very unfortunate indeed. Which certainly are destructive and conflict with the purposes of TruthBook...and now this??

All who attend here come for some purpose...some to seek understanding and truth and community...but not all do so. May God and wisdom grant me and us all more grace and tact with one another...even those who seek disruption and destruction of this student body. Perhaps it is wiser to presume that those who are not against us are for us?

I know I am guilty of too often lacking graciousness when dealing with those who defy, contradict, twist, torment, and otherwise misrepresent the text we study here together. We are not to be submissive or passive to such wolves, no matter the sheep's clothing worn by them...but this tadpole could certainly be wiser and more patient to be sure!! Even when confronted by insult, antagonism, duplicity, and an agenda of manipulation, deception, and the contradiction of text.

In all matters here, it is my hope we allow the UB to speak for itself and share its teachings with one another...and learn how to integrate, balance, and harmonize our dual natures and share the religious life and the forever adventure in this friendly universe!

8) Bradly

Last edited by fanofVan on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:37 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Quote:
159:1.4 Simon Peter was the apostle in charge of the workers at Hippos, and when he heard Jesus thus speak, he asked: “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?” And Jesus answered Peter: “Not only seven times but even to seventy times and seven. Therefore may the kingdom of heaven be likened to a certain king who ordered a financial reckoning with his stewards. And when they had begun to conduct this examination of accounts, one of his chief retainers was brought before him confessing that he owed his king ten thousand talents. Now this officer of the king's court pleaded that hard times had come upon him, and that he did not have wherewith to pay this obligation. And so the king commanded that his property be confiscated, and that his children be sold to pay his debt. When this chief steward heard this stern decree, he fell down on his face before the king and implored him to have mercy and grant him more time, saying, `Lord, have a little more patience with me, and I will pay you all.' And when the king looked upon this negligent servant and his family, he was moved with compassion. He ordered that he should be released, and that the loan should be wholly forgiven.

159:1.5 “And this chief steward, having thus received mercy and forgiveness at the hands of the king, went about his business, and finding one of his subordinate stewards who owed him a mere hundred denarii, he laid hold upon him and, taking him by the throat, said, `Pay me all you owe.' And then did this fellow steward fall down before the chief steward and, beseeching him, said: `Only have patience with me, and I will presently be able to pay you.' But the chief steward would not show mercy to his fellow steward but rather had him cast in prison until he should pay his debt. When his fellow servants saw what had happened, they were so distressed that they went and told their lord and master, the king. When the king heard of the doings of his chief steward, he called this ungrateful and unforgiving man before him and said: `You are a wicked and unworthy steward. When you sought for compassion, I freely forgave you your entire debt. Why did you not also show mercy to your fellow steward, even as I showed mercy to you?' And the king was so very angry that he delivered his ungrateful chief steward to the jailers that they might hold him until he had paid all that was due. And even so shall my heavenly Father show the more abundant mercy to those who freely show mercy to their fellows. How can you come to God asking consideration for your shortcomings when you are wont to chastise your brethren for being guilty of these same human frailties? I say to all of you: Freely you have received the good things of the kingdom; therefore freely give to your fellows on earth.”

159:1.6 Thus did Jesus teach the dangers and illustrate the unfairness of sitting in personal judgment upon one's fellows. Discipline must be maintained, justice must be administered, but in all these matters the wisdom of the brotherhood should prevail. Jesus invested legislative and judicial authority in the group, not in the individual. Even this investment of authority in the group must not be exercised as personal authority. There is always danger that the verdict of an individual may be warped by prejudice or distorted by passion. Group judgment is more likely to remove the dangers and eliminate the unfairness of personal bias. Jesus sought always to minimize the elements of unfairness, retaliation, and vengeance.

Bradley,

Please explain how you see Jesus' intent in this passage in light of your comments regarding Enno's confession.

Thank you,

Jim

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
How do we do that? The UB is actually filled with practical methods and teachings that I have found very helpful in my own life and can lead to a lighter load and less burden upon the path to Paradise. Suffering can be a great teacher....as well as a horrible burden...and we ultimately choose which it shall be....or so I have found and so the Papers teach us. No matter the degree or source or symptoms or timing of personal suffering and tragedy, each of us has the opportunity and the ability to rise above it and to abandon the suffering and loss we have experienced. It takes time and growth and a willingness to let go and give it up to God within who can ease the pain and lighten the burdens of this life...in all the many forms those may take.
Bradly 8)

Once again...it is my hope that we might consider and discuss the Teachings in the UB regarding how to reduce our personal suffering....especially so, in context of this discussion and topic, of that suffering we endure at the hands and by the acts of others upon us and to us, either now or in the past. I am not here to give advice nor to criticize any other by such consideration.

So...what are some of these "practical methods" given in the UB? Many, perhaps all, of these are known to humanity without the specific UB text on the matter....but those teachings contribute a great deal to such considerations.

1. Prayer - https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

The efficacy of prayer is determined by two factors - the first is sincerity and the second is our growing experiential wisdom. No matter how self centered and immature is our plea, prayer is a vital connection which delivers results - not always the one we pray for....but prayer does change the one who prays and delivers faith assurance at a minimum and grows relationship with God within.

2. Forgiveness - https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

We are taught that we are forgiven AS we forgive. So long as we harbor anger, hate, revenge, or any other related feelings toward others, we have not yet received the full measure and ministry of forgiveness for ourselves. We are taught that we do not determine the amount of forgiveness available to us by our forgiveness of others but we do determine the amount we might receive.

Until we forgive those that use and abuse and revile and harm us, we cannot hope to love them nor can we expect to be soothed and healed from the harm we have suffered by them either. We simply cannot heal and grow beyond our own suffering while holding grudges and resentments. Not possible!

3. Love one another - https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

We must learn to forgive all hurt and harm received by others and then love them sufficiently to understand them and why/how they make the choices they have which have hurt us and others to even begin to love them. This ultimately requires the experiential and spiritual maturity to give the Divine form of love on the progressive love scale of the Golden Rule: https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

4. Brotherly love - https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... &start=all

5. Fatherly love - https://truthbook.com/search/UBParagrap ... rch=Search

It is often true that we suffer primarily because of our grip upon our suffering. A grip that must be loosened and then let go. I learned of a most effective method of catching monkeys in India and in Africa by some tribes. The monkey trap can take many forms, one is a heavy clay pot with a narrow opening and bulbous body....you place a banana inside and when the monkey grabs onto the banana they cannot get their hand out without letting go of the banana....but they won't do that! When chased they will drag that heavy clay pot around until they are eaisily caught as they cannot climb or run or escape the hunter who uses the monkey trap.

We must be smarter than the monkey!!! But we often grasp onto our emotional response to our suffering and the perpetrator and cause of our suffering and we grip it so tightly that we cannot escape it or the very real consequences that comes by this relentless grip. Learning to release this grip upon our suffering takes time....and help. To be clear, it is a certainty that letting go is not a natural ability...indeed it requires a spiritual response and a thoughtful process. But also to be clear....we are serving our own best interests to learn how to release our grip upon such feelings!

But we must learn to serve our own best interest to take the final step in our healing and emergence from the pain and suffering. We must learn how better to respond in all situations and remove our animal based self interest and importance emotions from our daily life too. We must learn response-ability: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5029

6. Serve others - In some ways these steps are progressive but there is lots of overlap and simulteaneous efforts too. We begin with prayer and then forgiveness and understanding and then brotherly love and then abiding Divine affection and such a personal religious experience will manifest itself in the desire and compelling need to share and serve others.

It's a natural growth....as natural as a seed becoming sprout and then plant with branches and then with flower and then with fruit and then with seed to then sow itself eternally.

I certainly do not claim to have any expertise in the above...but I do have some experience and know that by changing my own responses to the circumstances and situations and relationships of life that I have suffered less at the hands of others and have enjoyed a growing poise and confidence and joy in my life over time. Anger is like a stone hurled into the hornets nest....it does nothing to the hornets compared to what they do to us!! I do have much experience with anger and lugging around a heavy load of a monkey trap while tightly gripping that banana of indignation and anger and blame!!! It's amazing how good it feels, how liberating it is, to simply let go of that dang banana!!!! :idea:

I hope others might share their own experiences and thoughts regarding the teachings we share here together. I wonder if "personality issues" might be determined more about our response mechanisms and habits than any imbedded or inherent or natural psychological issues?? I believe the UB teaches that the more we spiritualize our minds and actualize our relationship with God then the less effect such troubles should have in our minds. Sometimes we just have to learn to let go of that banana!! Or so I've found. That jar of bad memories and bad feelings seems to get bigger and bigger and heavier and heavier until we do learn to let go and leave it behind.

Best wishes to all!

Bradly 8)

https://youtu.be/d1PnQT4emS0

So, Nod posted the music video for "Ordinary World" in response to Bradly's thoughts. What is the message you were hoping to share with us, that you chose to share via video rather than text (since, as you say, text on the internet carries the risk ofhurting others' feelings or causing offense). Is the mesaage contained in the lyrics?

Ordinary World
Duran Duran
Came in from a rainy Thursday on the avenue
Thought I heard you talking softly
I turned on the lights, the TV, and the radio
Still I can't escape the ghost of you
What has happened to it all?
Crazy someone say
Where is the life that I recognize?
Gone away
But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive
Passion or coincidence once prompted you to say
"Pride will tear us both apart"
Well now prides gone out the window
Cross the rooftops, run away
Left me in the vacuum of my heart
What is happening to me?
Crazy someone say
Where is my friend when I need you most?
Gone away
But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find

PostPosted:  

I thought I heard him "talking softly" and I wanted to acknowledge that. Give him some kudos via a beautiful song. That "passion and coincidence once prompted him to say" that "pride will tear us (this community) apart."

Brad's words spoke to me. That he was being reflective about himself and the "passion and coincidence" of what we're all doing here. That he was being honest about the personality issues we all share as human beings.

All that I wanted to say is that we're all engaged in the same thing. The same journey. That we're working together in making our way. Our way to the Ordinary world. And that we're all just learning how to survive.

Everyone.

And that there's nothing greater than a friend, especially when you need him most.

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
I thought I heard him "talking softly" and I wanted to acknowledge that. Give him some kudos via a beautiful song. That "passion and coincidence once prompted him to say" that "pride will tear us (this community) apart."

Brad's words spoke to me. That he was being reflective about himself and the "passion and coincidence" of what we're all doing here. That he was being honest about the personality issues we all share as human beings.

All that I wanted to say is that we're all engaged in the same thing. The same journey. That we're working together in making our way. Our way to the Ordinary world. And that we're all just learning how to survive.

Everyone.

And that there's nothing greater than a friend, especially when you need him most.

That would have been nice to know!! And so easy to say....thank you!

8) :wink:

PostPosted:  

Jim George wrote:
Quote:
159:1.4 Simon Peter was the apostle in charge of the workers at Hippos, and when he heard Jesus thus speak, he asked: “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Until seven times?” And Jesus answered Peter: “Not only seven times but even to seventy times and seven. Therefore may the kingdom of heaven be likened to a certain king who ordered a financial reckoning with his stewards. And when they had begun to conduct this examination of accounts, one of his chief retainers was brought before him confessing that he owed his king ten thousand talents. Now this officer of the king's court pleaded that hard times had come upon him, and that he did not have wherewith to pay this obligation. And so the king commanded that his property be confiscated, and that his children be sold to pay his debt. When this chief steward heard this stern decree, he fell down on his face before the king and implored him to have mercy and grant him more time, saying, `Lord, have a little more patience with me, and I will pay you all.' And when the king looked upon this negligent servant and his family, he was moved with compassion. He ordered that he should be released, and that the loan should be wholly forgiven.

159:1.5 “And this chief steward, having thus received mercy and forgiveness at the hands of the king, went about his business, and finding one of his subordinate stewards who owed him a mere hundred denarii, he laid hold upon him and, taking him by the throat, said, `Pay me all you owe.' And then did this fellow steward fall down before the chief steward and, beseeching him, said: `Only have patience with me, and I will presently be able to pay you.' But the chief steward would not show mercy to his fellow steward but rather had him cast in prison until he should pay his debt. When his fellow servants saw what had happened, they were so distressed that they went and told their lord and master, the king. When the king heard of the doings of his chief steward, he called this ungrateful and unforgiving man before him and said: `You are a wicked and unworthy steward. When you sought for compassion, I freely forgave you your entire debt. Why did you not also show mercy to your fellow steward, even as I showed mercy to you?' And the king was so very angry that he delivered his ungrateful chief steward to the jailers that they might hold him until he had paid all that was due. And even so shall my heavenly Father show the more abundant mercy to those who freely show mercy to their fellows. How can you come to God asking consideration for your shortcomings when you are wont to chastise your brethren for being guilty of these same human frailties? I say to all of you: Freely you have received the good things of the kingdom; therefore freely give to your fellows on earth.”

159:1.6 Thus did Jesus teach the dangers and illustrate the unfairness of sitting in personal judgment upon one's fellows. Discipline must be maintained, justice must be administered, but in all these matters the wisdom of the brotherhood should prevail. Jesus invested legislative and judicial authority in the group, not in the individual. Even this investment of authority in the group must not be exercised as personal authority. There is always danger that the verdict of an individual may be warped by prejudice or distorted by passion. Group judgment is more likely to remove the dangers and eliminate the unfairness of personal bias. Jesus sought always to minimize the elements of unfairness, retaliation, and vengeance.

Bradley,

Please explain how you see Jesus' intent in this passage in light of your comments regarding Enno's confession.

Thank you,

Jim

Hello Jim...an excellent topic for consideration!

Confession?? Hmmmmm......

Was it me or Enno who posted his chastisement of others here? Isn't this the "group" he chose to share his concerns (disappointment in others/TB community for that with which he is certainly guilty of himself) with? Is that the (or one of the) message of the text do you think? Accusing others of our own bad choices and behavior? Or the hypocrisy and unfairness of such a public chastisement by such a perpetrator of that so accused?

But I readily admit I did indeed and often do offer posts that are "distorted by passion" and "warped by prejudice". And my response was an illustration of the danger of personal perspective and potential for overreaction...and the added objectivity of group wisdom over personal.

My latest post about Enno's disappointment in others and his chastisement of others was harsh and, perhaps, unfair (if accurate enough)....in hindsight. Thanks for pointing that out Jim. Part of the group dynamic outworking I suppose. Enno owes me nothing Jim...but he owes the community honesty and integrity I think...and perhaps his own words if he has a comment to make or contribution to offer.

Do you think me wrong to point out the inconsistency of his chastisement of others and complaints about the tone and content here at TruthBook when he has contributed to both so much himself since joining us here? Should I have rebuked him privately do you think? Should you have rebuked me privately? Or since it was brought to the group here, should we respond here as well? Interesting. I think there are many elements in this parable to consider...and some are indeed relevant to the situation at hand.

:wink: 8)

Perhaps now we might return to the topic at hand....vestiges of animal/material nature carried over to the Mansion Worlds, the causes and cures of suffering on our world of origin/birth, and the role of faith assurance, truth assurance, and our self chosen responses to those causes of our personal suffering here. What does the UB teach us that might assist HM1 in overcoming his suffering and his concerns???

:?: :!: :idea: :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

Enno demonstrates something I think is relevant to the topic...disappointment. He has here expressed his disappointment in his experience here and with the community (compared to a better experience for him). Such disappointments often engender feelings then of blame and resentment...to find cause for the effect of disappointment.

Such a cycle of response to a circumstance, situation, relationship avoids personal assumption of responsibility I think. Does something or someone else determine how we respond? Or do we?

This response/reaction tendency does not just extend to specific or individual events or situations or outcomes either - we tend to socialize our disappointments and our blames and resentments. Others are the cause of the bad feelings and outcomes in our lives. And by extension then, we require that others repair, fix, and improve our personal outcomes, situations, circumstances, and relationships.

We tend to absolve ourselves of our outcomes and perceptions. We tend to believe our subjectivity is factually objective. This means we dismiss personal responsibility for how we feel and react and why and how and what we choose...as though we do not really have free will...or the power to change our feelings and reactions and responses to life's situations, circumstances, relationships, and intersections of decision.

The text Jim shares above points how often and readily we blame others and are disappointed in others and resent others for our own behaviors and choices....not someone else's at all. Or we blame them for that which they may be guilty of but even less so than we are!

Our philosophy of living and our time-unit view and reality perspective all hinge upon our personal reactions to our disappointments in other people and in all other people....our blame, our resentment, our anger, etc.

Such a perspective can also lead us to think we know what others are or are not doing and should or should not be doing - the sanctimonious superiority of critically judging others while accepting no responsibility of self and our outcomes. It results in feelings of helplessness and hopelessness if allowed to grow and control our minds and our realities.

Disappointment, like failure, is but an opportunity to see ourselves within totality more clearly and to discern causes and effects and learn to choose more wisely...not to find fault and to blame and to resent.

Is my disappointment someone else's fault? Is my pain I choose to carry around with me someone else's fault? Even if I have been truly injured and meanly treated today, yesterday, or long ago? Or can I overcome my disappointments? Can I change my response and reaction and feelings?

If so....how so? That's the topic at hand..... 8)

3:5.6 [Part I]
1. Is courage — strength of character — desirable? Then must man be reared in an environment which necessitates grappling with hardships and reacting to disappointments.

12:9.6 [Part I]
Mortal man has a spirit nucleus. The mind is a personal-energy system existing around a divine spirit nucleus and functioning in a material environment. Such a living relationship of personal mind and spirit constitutes the universe potential of eternal personality. Real trouble, lasting disappointment, serious defeat, or inescapable death can come only after self-concepts presume fully to displace the governing power of the central spirit nucleus, thereby disrupting the cosmic scheme of personality identity.

Key word search for disappointment OR disappointments:

https://urantia-association.org/search/ ... t%5B%5D=-1

Last edited by fanofVan on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:08 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Brad,

Are you disappointed in me?

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
Brad,

Are you disappointed in me?

Neither disappointed....or surprised.

:wink:

PostPosted:  

Well then, I guess it's just a part of your appeal.

PostPosted:  

Again I ask understanding that my posts on this topic are simply a student's reflections and discussion of what should be considered a rather universal human issue - mental and emotional suffering and its relief - as presented in the UB. Personally, I have so much to learn and progress to make in all such regards and matters! I am luckier and more privileged in some ways than others...but I know of no one who escapes suffering from anxiety, disappointment, failure, grief, uncertainty, guilt, unhappiness, and the spectrum of human emotions.

According to text, it is the religious life and only our own spiritualization and growth and maturity in the spirit that might deliver us from anxiety, grief, disappointment, failure, anger, blame, guilt, and all mortal feelings that cause pain and suffering....no matter the source of those (I think). To be clear, we are not always responsible for that which happens to us or comes our way, either as children or adults...there are true victims and victimhood in this life. But we are taught that all of us are blessed by the ministering Spirits and can achieve spiritualization and circle progress - no matter our IQ, education, social status, income, circumstance, past, culture, mortal epoch, tribe, family, or depth of personal suffering.

We may succumb to suffering or we may stoically endure it...or we may attempt to escape it by drugs, money, pleasure and other forms of distraction and happiness-substitutes. But there is only one true relief and escape - and it is not by anything material. (This is not to say that professional counseling and medications are not helpful or desirable in some/many situations or that mental/emotional suffering is not real - both may be very helpful indeed.) Suffering is real and the causes of suffering are also real!

However, a poised personality and true happiness may only be achieved by spiritualization of our minds and the growth of our soul. The key to human happiness is the same as for the end of all emotional suffering - God within and our relationship with God. That is the key. It is not instant nor eve quick..it is not some simple switch or choice that delivers us from all human suffering...it is a process....with multiple steps and personal transformations required. But it is also the only thing that truly works!!! God within will comfort and assure and confirm and lead and nurture the yearning that God also instills within every mortal mind. We hunger and we thirst...this is not accidental. We seek....this is also not accidental.

This is the human condition...yearning and seeking! We are made this way...and for a purpose. The discovery of God within. The sanctuary of God within. The relationship with God within. This is the fundamental formatting of humanity. And only its completion and fulfillment can truly satisfy us.

It was pointed out earlier in text that by the second Mansion World all of us have lost the last of animal/material vestiges of the causes of human suffering:

47:4.7 (535.3) Biological deficiencies were largely made up on the first mansion world. There defects in planetary experiences pertaining to sex life, family association, and parental function were either corrected or were projected for future rectification among the Material Son families on Jerusem.

47:4.8 (535.4) Mansonia number two more specifically provides for the removal of all phases of intellectual conflict and for the cure of all varieties of mental disharmony. The effort to master the significance of morontia mota, begun on the first mansion world, is here more earnestly continued. The development on mansonia number two compares with the intellectual status of the post-Magisterial Son culture of the ideal evolutionary worlds.

But this transformation can be accomplished on the world of origin too!! No need to wait as Jim so patiently and persistantly reminds us!! :biggrin:

100:6.6 [Part III]
One of the most amazing earmarks of religious living is that dynamic and sublime peace, that peace which passes all human understanding, that cosmic poise which betokens the absence of all doubt and turmoil. Such levels of spiritual stability are immune to disappointment. Such religionists are like the Apostle Paul, who said: "I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else shall be able to separate us from the love of God."

100:7.7 [Part III]
Of Jesus it was truly said, "He trusted God." As a man among men he most sublimely trusted the Father in heaven. He trusted his Father as a little child trusts his earthly parent. His faith was perfect but never presumptuous. No matter how cruel nature might appear to be or how indifferent to man's welfare on earth, Jesus never faltered in his faith. He was immune to disappointment and impervious to persecution. He was untouched by apparent failure.

Just how powerful is the potential of our religious life and faith????

(1108.3) 101:3.4 Through religious faith the soul of man reveals itself and demonstrates the potential divinity of its emerging nature by the characteristic manner in which it induces the mortal personality to react to certain trying intellectual and testing social situations. Genuine spiritual faith (true moral consciousness) is revealed in that it:

(1108.4) 101:3.5 1. Causes ethics and morals to progress despite inherent and adverse animalistic tendencies.*

(1108.5) 101:3.6 2. Produces a sublime trust in the goodness of God even in the face of bitter disappointment and crushing defeat.

(1108.6) 101:3.7 3. Generates profound courage and confidence despite natural adversity and physical calamity.

(1108.7) 101:3.8 4. Exhibits inexplicable poise and sustaining tranquillity notwithstanding baffling diseases and even acute physical suffering.

(1108.8) 101:3.9 5. Maintains a mysterious poise and composure of personality in the face of maltreatment and the rankest injustice.

(1108.9) 101:3.10 6. Maintains a divine trust in ultimate victory in spite of the cruelties of seemingly blind fate and the apparent utter indifference of natural forces to human welfare.

(1108.10) 101:3.11 7. Persists in the unswerving belief in God despite all contrary demonstrations of logic and successfully withstands all other intellectual sophistries.

(1108.11) 101:3.12 8. Continues to exhibit undaunted faith in the soul’s survival regardless of the deceptive teachings of false science and the persuasive delusions of unsound philosophy.

(1108.12) 101:3.13 9. Lives and triumphs irrespective of the crushing overload of the complex and partial civilizations of modern times.

(1108.13) 101:3.14 10. Contributes to the continued survival of altruism in spite of human selfishness, social antagonisms, industrial greeds, and political maladjustments.

(1108.14) 101:3.15 11. Steadfastly adheres to a sublime belief in universe unity and divine guidance regardless of the perplexing presence of evil and sin.

(1108.15) 101:3.16 12. Goes right on worshiping God in spite of anything and everything. Dares to declare, “Even though he slay me, yet will I serve him.”

(1108.16) 101:3.17 We know, then, by three phenomena, that man has a divine spirit or spirits dwelling within him: first, by personal experience — religious faith; second, by revelation — personal and racial; and third, by the amazing exhibition of such extraordinary and unnatural reactions to his material environment as are illustrated by the foregoing recital of twelve spiritlike performances in the presence of the actual and trying situations of real human existence. And there are still others.

(1109.1) 101:3.18 And it is just such a vital and vigorous performance of faith in the domain of religion that entitles mortal man to affirm the personal possession and spiritual reality of that crowning endowment of human nature, religious experience.

With God all things are possible!!

Bradly 8)

PS - Enno - please contribute to the topic or be silent. Your distractions are disruptive....STILL!!! =; :-$ :-# :roll: