Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:10 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Why HERE and NOW?
PostPosted:  

UB states that Urantia is the starting point of our universe career. However, there is no mention of our prior existence (if any). I have always been fascinated by the concept of "soul contracts". Why were we were assigned to 606 of Satania, 993,505 years after the birth of the first two humans? There must be a specific purpose, based on the unique individual. I mean, why are we not one of the eternal seraphim, who are doing incredibly creative things throughout the universe, free of illness and death?

The poem, "When I Was a Tadpole and You Were a Fish" by Robert W. Service suggests that we have incarnated on this planet thousands of times over millions of years from the most primitive forms up to modern humans. There is also the song, "Would You Like to Swing on a Star", featured in a Little Lulu cartoon from 1947 in which Lulu is shown by "teachers" in heavenly "schools" that she could be a mule, or a pig, or a fish--"It's all up to you." She then tours the Technicolor heavenly realms, and "graduates", receiving a diploma from supernal [I like that word] entities.

These may seem like rather trite references, but I believe the Spirit of Truth inspires artists to create these things to send all humans a message. In fact, the UB states that many people do/say strange things because the Spirit's message sometimes gets garbled trying to work through the limited frameworks of the human mind.

So does anyone have any thoughts on pre-existence, soul contracts, and why we were placed here on this remote speck in this tiny sliver of cosmic time?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Why HERE and NOW?
PostPosted:  

Fascinating topic! From my reading of the UB, it is pretty clear that there is not a 'pre-existence' per se other than the fact that all personality is pre-existent in the comprehensive Father's personality. The UB tells us that our Thought Adjusters chose us as the identity for their indwelling of the Father fragment; so I am thinking the process of that match-making of Thought Adjuster to our unique personality is what factors in to the cirumstances (time period, location) of our birth.

Personality is quiet mysterious, there are a lot of things about it that we just don't know.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say about this. I am not familiar with the phrase, "soul contracts". Where does it come from?

PostPosted:  

UB paper 109 gives credence to my previous post suggestion that the match of Thought Adjuster to humans plays a role in the timing and circumstances of the humans birth. Here are just a couple of quotes, but the whole section 3 "Relation of Adjusters to Mortal Types" is really applicable.

Quote:
109:3.7 (1198.2) In many of the early evolutionary races of Urantia, three groups of beings existed. There were those who were so animalistic that they were utterly lacking in Adjuster capacity. There were those who exhibited undoubted capacity for Adjusters and promptly received them when the age of moral responsibility was attained. There was a third class who occupied a borderline position; they had capacity for Adjuster reception, but the Monitors could only indwell the mind on the personal petition of the individual.

109:3.8 (1198.3) But with those beings who are virtually disqualified for survival by disinheritance through the agency of unfit and inferior ancestors, many a virgin Adjuster has served a valuable preliminary experience in contacting evolutionary mind and thus has become better qualified for a subsequent assignment to a higher type of mind on some other world.

PostPosted:  

"Soul Contracts" = We agreed to come here before we were born.

There is also the Dr. Seuss cartoon "The Hoober-Bloob Highway", in which the "child" is counseled by his Spirit Guardian that if he chooses to incarnate on Earth, he will have to choose what vocation to study, and he will face illness, pain, hard work and disappointment. However, he will experience things on the Earth adventure that he can experience no other way. It's a tough decision, but the boy agrees to it, and he is sent down a towering spiral track in a baby carriage, bound for Earth. The Guardian cries out, "Look out below! Here comes a good one!"

PostPosted:  

HonestProfessor wrote:
"Soul Contracts" = We agreed to come here before we were born.

Sure. I know what a "soul" is and I know what a "contract" is. That's a phrase I've not heard before and wondered if it is a cultural reference with a literary source or drawn from some type of tradition or belief system.

PostPosted:  

Plenty of historical discussions and topics here on reincarnation and pre-existence. The UB is very specific and clear...no...to both.

We were the 606th planet in the System to be inhabited...the number was issued 1 million years ago. There are 1000 such worlds in each System...eventually.

Keyword search in UB for reincarnation:

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

Keyword search here at TRUTHBOOK for reincarnation:

search.php?keywords=Reincarnation+&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Topic reincarnation:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5082

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5548

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3137

Here's a great resource: What's the UB Say About...?
https://truthbook.com/urantia-book-faq/ ... -say-about

Enjoy! 8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu May 28, 2020 10:49 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

49:0.2 (559.2) All inhabited worlds are basically grouped for celestial administration into the local systems, and each of these local systems is limited to about one thousand evolutionary worlds. This limitation is by the decree of the Ancients of Days, and it pertains to actual evolutionary planets whereon mortals of survival status are living. Neither worlds finally settled in light and life nor planets in the prehuman stage of life development are reckoned in this group.

49:0.3 (559.3) Satania itself is an unfinished system containing only 619 inhabited worlds. Such planets are numbered serially in accordance with their registration as inhabited worlds, as worlds inhabited by will creatures. Thus was Urantia given the number 606 of Satania, meaning the 606th world in this local system on which the long evolutionary life process culminated in the appearance of human beings. There are thirty-six uninhabited planets nearing the life-endowment stage, and several are now being made ready for the Life Carriers. There are nearly two hundred spheres which are evolving so as to be ready for life implantation within the next few million years.

PostPosted:  

HonestProfessor wrote:
UB states that Urantia is the starting point of our universe career. However, there is no mention of our prior existence (if any). I have always been fascinated by the concept of "soul contracts". Why were we were assigned to 606 of Satania, 993,505 years after the birth of the first two humans? There must be a specific purpose, based on the unique individual. I mean, why are we not one of the eternal seraphim, who are doing incredibly creative things throughout the universe, free of illness and death?

So does anyone have any thoughts on pre-existence, soul contracts, and why we were placed here on this remote speck in this tiny sliver of cosmic time?

The Papers actually do offer a rather complete and complex description of the origin of people and mortal persons on the material and evolutionary worlds of time. There is also much written about our personal and collective destiny which is unique and powerful in the universe of universes and eternities to come as mortal ascenders and finaliters.

Angels have their work....we have ours. The manner of the birth and struggle of mortals is critical to our function and potential and the functionality of faith and trust and hope and fairness and mercy and courage and sense of adventure in the face of uncertainties and disappointments and the fullest spectrum of experiential wisdom in all the universes of creation.

Neither mortals or angels are "placed" anywhere according to the Papers. There is no pre-existence for any created or mortal beings described anywhere in the UB that I know. There are beings who do volunteer for certain opportunities for service but they remain themselves and order of being in that service with a few interesting modifications of physicality for a few based on the service (as in the case of certain incarnations and bestowal missions which are not reincarnations by any definition).

Mortals are doing "incredibly creative" and incredibly difficult things here and now and face an eternal adventure of high service unique to our high status as the "least" of God's children given a seat of honor at his table. Do you know of our opportunities as Mighty Messengers and Finaliters and Those Without Name and Number and Trinitization and the 24 Counselors and Prince's staff or dozens of other forms of universe service we are uniquely designed and trained and prepared for?

We too are made in God's Image!!!!

The UB is filled - cover to cover - with our story of origin and destiny. I look forward to exploring it with you.

To be clear...I am not here to say what is real or right...we study the Urantia Papers here and what those teach about reality. So.....I do not say there is no reincarnation or pre-existence....the UB says that....agree or disagree is up to each of us. My opinions are of no matter or consequence. Reality is indifferent to our opinions and beliefs about reality. Reality simply is. It is not a construct or aggregation of beliefs about it. Again....according to the UB.

8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

Hello Professor!

It's funny that you ask this. I've never heard of the concept of soul contracts or anyone talk about the exact question you ask. But I have long speculated that such may actually be the case!

Here is my thinking: We have been told that time is not linear. It is rather circular in nature. Contrast that with the revelation that The Paradise Trinity lives in the ever present and eternal now. The Trinity is apart from time (and space) - unlimited.

So I postulate that the Paradise Trinity does in fact know, not only what we currently choose but what we will choose in the unforseeable far distant future. At that far distant point we ourselves will realize our origin and destiny is just what we choose and that the all-wise Creators have fashioned the most perfect path for us possible.

One reference that I believe lends support to that idea is a description of a fallen celestial rebel. Sorry, I don't remember who or where but I think we can find it. The narrative explains that the rebel, on being sentenced by his superiors, did not regret or intend to atone for his transgressions. And yet he did confess that the sentence was entirely just and fair.

There is also the mystery as to why Caligastia was not apprehended. Possibly the creators wish a similar situation to happen on his sentencing, assuming Caligastia does not repent his wrong doings and agree to be rehabilitated. I suppose that is due to the lavish mercy that the creators extend to all creatures.

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
Hello Professor!

It's funny that you ask this. I've never heard of the concept of soul contracts or anyone talk about the exact question you ask. But I have long speculated that such may actually be the case!

Here is my thinking: We have been told that time is not linear. It is rather circular in nature. Contrast that with the revelation that The Paradise Trinity lives in the ever present and eternal now. The Trinity is apart from time (and space) - unlimited.

So I postulate that the Paradise Trinity does in fact know, not only what we currently choose but what we will choose in the unforseeable far distant future. At that far distant point we ourselves will realize our origin and destiny is just what we choose and that the all-wise Creators have fashioned the most perfect path for us possible.

One reference that I believe lends support to that idea is a description of a fallen celestial rebel. Sorry, I don't remember who or where but I think we can find it. The narrative explains that the rebel, on being sentenced by his superiors, did not regret or intend to atone for his transgressions. And yet he did confess that the sentence was entirely just and fair.

There is also the mystery as to why Caligastia was not apprehended. Possibly the creators wish a similar situation to happen on his sentencing, assuming Caligastia does not repent his wrong doings and agree to be rehabilitated. I suppose that is due to the lavish mercy that the creators extend to all creatures.

I look forward to that text which might support your speculations and "thinking" .....

Time is real. Most things and most beings have/had a beginning, a point in time origin.

Mortals, angels, and many other beings have their origination in the local universes. Mortals are specifically called ascenders (not descended or descendent beings) with origin furthest from Paradise and Deity in distance and nature.

Souls are created on-planet by a very specific act and collaboration between mortal and Thought Adjuster. The "self" is a bestowal of personality, mind, and freewill to the being at creation (angel) or birth (mortal) which begins selfhood.

There is no pre-existence of any ascender and mortals are not incarnated beings....and neither are angels. This is an important issue for clarity and specificity...I look forward to some of that regarding your "thinking". This site is for new readers to learn about the UB....text please.

So....according to your opinion...what is the point of our origin? What is the point of our incarnation here as pre-existent beings? We forsake our Paradise and eternal origins to be born as empty vessels without that knowledge, experience, and wisdom already acquired? What was its purpose then? Do all beings do so? Which ones then? We forsake eternal life for potential immortality? Is this your claim? Why? Should be answers in text for all of that...and more.

49:0.1 (559.1) ALL mortal-inhabited worlds are evolutionary in origin and nature. These spheres are the spawning ground, the evolutionary cradle, of the mortal races of time and space. Each unit of the ascendant life is a veritable training school for the stage of existence just ahead, and this is true of every stage of man’s progressive Paradise ascent; just as true of the initial mortal experience on an evolutionary planet as of the final universe headquarters school of the Melchizedeks, a school which is not attended by ascending mortals until just before their translation to the regime of the superuniverse and the attainment of first-stage spirit existence.

40:0.9 (443.9) The story of these beings, from the lowly animal-origin mortals of the evolutionary worlds to the Personalized Adjusters of the Universal Father, presents a glorious recital of the unstinted bestowal of divine love and gracious condescension throughout all time and in all universes of the far-flung creation of the Paradise Deities.

40:0.10 (443.10) These presentations began with a description of the Deities, and group by group, the narrative has descended the universal scale of living beings until it has reached the lowest order of life endowed with the potential of immortality; and now am I dispatched from Salvington—onetime a mortal of origin on an evolutionary world of space—to elaborate and continue the recital of the eternal purpose of the Gods respecting the ascending orders of sonship, more particularly with regard to the mortal creatures of time and space.

Last edited by fanofVan on Fri May 29, 2020 11:43 am +0000, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted:  

Riktare says above: "At that far distant point we ourselves will realize our origin and destiny is just what we choose and that the all-wise Creators have fashioned the most perfect path for us possible."

We choose our origin? What we? Who are we when we make this choice? Where are we? Where have we been before this moment of choosing our origin? So...we choose our origin before our origination? Did we already fuse before coming here then? How did we get to wherever you think we were to make this choice of our own origin? Are we existential and without beginning then too? And so are angels, etc.? Most interesting speculation indeed. Please think about what you are saying Riktare...and provide some text support with your "thinking". Thank you.

5:6.4 (70.5) The bestowal of personality is the exclusive function of the Universal Father, the personalization of the living energy systems which he endows with the attributes of relative creative consciousness and the freewill control thereof. There is no personality apart from God the Father, and no personality exists except for God the Father. The fundamental attributes of human selfhood, as well as the absolute Adjuster nucleus of the human personality, are the bestowals of the Universal Father, acting in his exclusively personal domain of cosmic ministry.

5:6.5 (70.6) The Adjusters of prepersonal status indwell numerous types of mortal creatures, thus insuring that these same beings may survive mortal death to personalize as morontia creatures with the potential of ultimate spirit attainment. For, when such a creature mind of personality endowment is indwelt by a fragment of the spirit of the eternal God, the prepersonal bestowal of the personal Father, then does this finite personality possess the potential of the divine and the eternal and aspire to a destiny akin to the Ultimate, even reaching out for a realization of the Absolute.

5:6.6 (71.1) Capacity for divine personality is inherent in the prepersonal Adjuster; capacity for human personality is potential in the cosmic-mind endowment of the human being. But the experiential personality of mortal man is not observable as an active and functional reality until after the material life vehicle of the mortal creature has been touched by the liberating divinity of the Universal Father, being thus launched upon the seas of experience as a self-conscious and a (relatively) self-determinative and self-creative personality. The material self is truly and unqualifiedly personal.

5:6.7 (71.2) The material self has personality and identity, temporal identity; the prepersonal spirit Adjuster also has identity, eternal identity. This material personality and this spirit prepersonality are capable of so uniting their creative attributes as to bring into existence the surviving identity of the immortal soul.

5:6.8 (71.3) Having thus provided for the growth of the immortal soul and having liberated man’s inner self from the fetters of absolute dependence on antecedent causation, the Father stands aside. Now, man having thus been liberated from the fetters of causation response, at least as pertains to eternal destiny, and provision having been made for the growth of the immortal self, the soul, it remains for man himself to will the creation or to inhibit the creation of this surviving and eternal self which is his for the choosing. No other being, force, creator, or agency in all the wide universe of universes can interfere to any degree with the absolute sovereignty of the mortal free will, as it operates within the realms of choice, regarding the eternal destiny of the personality of the choosing mortal. As pertains to eternal survival, God has decreed the sovereignty of the material and mortal will, and that decree is absolute.

5:6.9 (71.4) The bestowal of creature personality confers relative liberation from slavish response to antecedent causation, and the personalities of all such moral beings, evolutionary or otherwise, are centered in the personality of the Universal Father. They are ever drawn towards his Paradise presence by that kinship of being which constitutes the vast and universal family circle and fraternal circuit of the eternal God. There is a kinship of divine spontaneity in all personality.

40:6.1 (447.5) The mortal races stand as the representatives of the lowest order of intelligent and personal creation. You mortals are divinely beloved, and every one of you may choose to accept the certain destiny of a glorious experience, but you are not yet by nature of the divine order; [color=#0000FF]you are wholly mortal. [/color]You will be reckoned as ascending sons the instant fusion takes place, but the status of the mortals of time and space is that of faith sons prior to the event of the final amalgamation of the surviving mortal soul with some type of eternal and immortal spirit.

40:6.2 (448.1) It is a solemn and supernal fact that such lowly and material creatures as Urantia human beings are the sons of God, faith children of the Highest. “Behold, what manner of love the Father has bestowed upon us that we should be called the sons of God.” “As many as received him, to them gave he the power to recognize that they are the sons of God.” While “it does not yet appear what you shall be,” even now “you are the faith sons of God”; “for you have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you have received the spirit of sonship, whereby you cry, ‘our Father.’” Spoke the prophet of old in the name of the eternal God: “Even to them will I give in my house a place and a name better than sons; I will give them an everlasting name, one that shall not be cut off.” “And because you are sons, God has sent forth the spirit of his Son into your hearts.”

40:6.3 (448.2) All evolutionary worlds of mortal habitation harbor these faith sons of God, sons of grace and mercy, mortal beings belonging to the divine family and accordingly called the sons of God. Urantia mortals are entitled to regard themselves as being the sons of God because:

40:6.4 (448.3) 1. You are sons of spiritual promise, faith sons; you have accepted the status of sonship. You believe in the reality of your sonship, and thus does your sonship with God become eternally real.

40:6.5 (448.4) 2. A Creator Son of God became one of you; he is your elder brother in fact; and if in spirit you become truly related brothers of Christ, the victorious Michael, then in spirit must you also be sons of that Father which you have in common—even the Universal Father of all.

40:6.6 (448.5) 3. You are sons because the spirit of a Son has been poured out upon you, has been freely and certainly bestowed upon all Urantia races. This spirit ever draws you toward the divine Son, who is its source, and toward the Paradise Father, who is the source of that divine Son.

40:6.7 (448.6) 4. Of his divine free-willness, the Universal Father has given you your creature personalities. You have been endowed with a measure of that divine spontaneity of freewill action which God shares with all who may become his sons.

40:6.8 (448.7) 5. There dwells within you a fragment of the Universal Father, and you are thus directly related to the divine Father of all the Sons of God.

Me here: I am happy to be one of God's tadpoles. We who begin our adventure in time and furthest from Paradise. Tadpoles have a grand destiny and Divine purpose whose experiential wisdom and journey adds great value to all existence everywhere. I did not exist before this life. Or so the UB teaches.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Time is real. Most things and most beings have/had a beginning, a point in time origin.

Time is real to us. Have you thought to research what the revelators say about the relationship of time to The Paradise Trinity? As a hint to the final analysis (from a creature's perspective) please see the paper on The Trinity of Trinities.

Since you are apparently posing an objection to the validity of what I am saying the burden falls on you to attempt to understand and research *the relevant* articles from TUB. Essentially all of the quotes you have given apply to us as creatures. They are irrelevant to the perspective of the creators I believe. I don't think it is doing justice to newer readers to ask them to wade through a very large series of primarily irrelevant quotes.

fanofVan wrote:
There is no pre-existence of any ascender and mortals are not incarnated beings....and neither are angels. This is an important issue for clarity and specificity.

And in the mind of God? Are we something that was just conceived the instant we were born?

PostPosted:  

"....our origin and destiny is just what we choose...."

Who is "we"? How do we choose our own "origin"?

The origin of my selfhood is local...and recent. The fact of the existential Trinity does not address the claims of pre-existence and no one chooses their own origin....such an illogical contradiction IMO.

"...Essentially all of the quotes you have given apply to us as creatures. They are irrelevant to the perspective of the creators I believe."

But the topic is the pre-existence and/or reincarnation of mortals. I am not Deity...or existential but, rather, experiential and evolutionary. You?

"I don't think it is doing justice to newer readers to ask them to wade through a very large series of primarily irrelevant quotes."

Really?

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
fanofVan wrote:

Time is real to us. Have you thought to research what the revelators say about the relationship of time to The Paradise Trinity? As a hint to the final analysis (from a creature's perspective) please see the paper on The Trinity of Trinities.

Since you are apparently posing an objection to the validity of what I am saying the burden falls on you to attempt to understand and research *the relevant* articles from TUB. Essentially all of the quotes you have given apply to us as creatures. They are irrelevant to the perspective of the creators I believe. I don't think it is doing justice to newer readers to ask them to wade through a very large series of primarily irrelevant quotes.

fanofVan wrote:
There is no pre-existence of any ascender and mortals are not incarnated beings....and neither are angels. This is an important issue for clarity and specificity.

And in the mind of God? Are we something that was just conceived the instant we were born?

I look forward to your presentation on the relevance of the Trinity of Trinities to mortal reincarnation and/or pre-existence (both false beliefs according to the Papers). And the relationships of the original, the actual, and the potential...and the realization of potential and resulting appearence of new potential by the actualization of potential....which never results in the original source and great cause ever being or becoming the actualization of potential created by the First Cause and Center, no matter the circularity of time.

To suggest mortals have no beginning or origination because Deity has none is to confuse the creation with the creator of the creation created.

Let me suggest reading Paper 115 related to the actuality of time and realization of potentials in time. Potential is pre-existent to its actualization and the creator or cause of that potential is pre-existent to the potential and its actualization as well. The eventual coexistence of origin, potential, and actualized realities does not make them the same in that reality.

Not all potential is realized or actualized. Even God, we are taught, cannot know the unknowable!! Eternity knows the ultimate outcomes of freeeill and experiential wisdom and progress in time but even God does not know what freewill creatures will choose next or in what order or what potential will be lost and that potential regained by new choices of realization and actualization which always create new and greater potential.

Beings created and born in time DO NOT pre-exist in time or not in time or before time or any other time. All such beings originate in time. The cause of potential and emergent results of that potential are not the same even though the cause of potential results in the effects of the realization causung more effects...which become more causes...for further effects.

Mortals are the effects of cause and we become the cause of more effects...which does not make us our own cause!! There is a First Cause and Source and Center and secondary sources of cause by God's divestiture of powers and person-ality. Let us not confuse ourselves with our Creator(s) as mortals so often do.

115:1.4 (1260.5) The realms of the finite exist by virtue of the eternal purpose of God. Finite creatures, high and low, may propound theories, and have done so, as to the necessity of the finite in the cosmic economy, but in the last analysis it exists because God so willed. The universe cannot be explained, neither can a finite creature offer a rational reason for his own individual existence without appealing to the prior acts and pre-existent volition of ancestral beings, Creators or procreators.

115:3.9 (1262.6) The interassociation of the Original, the Actual, and the Potential yields the tensions within infinity which result in the possibility for all universe growth; and growth is the nature of the Sevenfold, the Supreme, and the Ultimate.

115:3.10 (1262.7) In the association of the Deity, Universal, and Unqualified Absolutes, potentiality is absolute while actuality is emergent; in the association of the Second, Third, and Paradise Sources and Centers, actuality is absolute while potentiality is emergent; in the originality of the First Source and Center, we cannot say that either actuality or potentiality is either existent or emergent — the Father is.

115:3.11 (1262.8) From the time viewpoint, the Actual is that which was and is; the Potential is that which is becoming and will be; the Original is that which is. From the eternity viewpoint, the differences between the Original, the Actual, and the Potential are not thus apparent. These triune qualities are not so distinguished on Paradise-eternity levels. In eternity all is—only has all not yet been revealed in time and space.

115:3.12 (1262.9) From a creature’s viewpoint, actuality is substance, potentiality is capacity. Actuality exists centermost and expands therefrom into peripheral infinity; potentiality comes inward from the infinity periphery and converges at the center of all things. Originality is that which first causes and then balances the dual motions of the cycle of reality metamorphosis from potentials to actuals and the potentializing of existing actuals.

115:3.13 (1262.10) The three Absolutes of potentiality are operative on the purely eternal level of the cosmos, hence never function as such on subabsolute levels. On the descending levels of reality the triodity of potentiality is manifest with the Ultimate and upon the Supreme. The potential may fail to time-actualize with respect to a part on some subabsolute level, but never in the aggregate. The will of God does ultimately prevail, not always concerning the individual but invariably concerning the total.

115:3.15 (1263.2) Actuality (of Deity) is what man seeks in the Paradise ascent. Potentiality (of human divinity) is what man evolves in that search. The Original is what makes possible the coexistence and integration of man the actual, man the potential, and man the eternal.

115:3.16 (1263.3) The final dynamics of the cosmos have to do with the continual transfer of reality from potentiality to actuality. In theory, there may be an end to this metamorphosis, but in fact, such is impossible since the Potential and the Actual are both encircuited in the Original (the I AM), and this identification makes it forever impossible to place a limit on the developmental progression of the universe. Whatsoever is identified with the I AM can never find an end to progression since the actuality of the potentials of the I AM is absolute, and the potentiality of the actuals of the I AM is also absolute. Always will actuals be opening up new avenues of the realization of hitherto impossible potentials—every human decision not only actualizes a new reality in human experience but also opens up a new capacity for human growth. The man lives in every child, and the morontia progressor is resident in the mature God-knowing man.

115:3.17 (1263.4) Statics in growth can never appear in the total cosmos since the basis for growth—the absolute actuals—is unqualified, and since the possibilities for growth—the absolute potentials—are unlimited. From a practical viewpoint the philosophers of the universe have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as an end.

115:3.18 (1263.5) From a circumscribed view there are, indeed, many ends, many terminations of activities, but from a larger viewpoint on a higher universe level, there are no endings, merely transitions from one phase of development to another. The major chronicity of the master universe is concerned with the several universe ages, the Havona, the superuniverse, and the outer universe ages. But even these basic divisions of sequence relationships cannot be more than relative landmarks on the unending highway of eternity.

8)

PostPosted:  

The Professor asks above: "So does anyone have any thoughts on pre-existence, soul contracts, and why we were placed here on this remote speck in this tiny sliver of cosmic time?"

According to the UB, soul is created after mortal birth and our soul survives death and is our eternal self. There is no pre-existence of self or soul...both begin in this material life. Our destiny is chosen in this life and not any fictional former/prior life or pre-existence of any kind. I began here. My destiny is a function and result of my personal freewill choices made in the life of this selfhood and identity.

No esoteric equivocation or abstract metaphysics related to time or eternity or the elipse or circularity of either time or eternity will ever change this fact and reality. Mortal finaliters have origin in time and space on the evolutionary worlds in the Local Universes and never lose their identity or selfhood or experiential wisdom and spiritual growth realized in time by freewill choices made in a progressive life of eternal adventure.

We are not "placed" here or anywhere. And we do not choose this place or time. We originate here. Your bio parents originate your organism and God originates your selfhood...here. Enjoy the adventure of being and becoming.

Or so the UB teaches.

112:5.1 (1232.2) Selfhood is a cosmic reality whether material, morontial, or spiritual. The actuality of the personal is the bestowal of the Universal Father acting in and of himself or through his manifold universe agencies. To say that a being is personal is to recognize the relative individuation of such a being within the cosmic organism. The living cosmos is an all but infinitely integrated aggregation of real units, all of which are relatively subject to the destiny of the whole. But those that are personal have been endowed with the actual choice of destiny acceptance or of destiny rejection.

112:5.2 (1232.3) That which comes from the Father is like the Father eternal, and this is just as true of personality, which God gives by his own freewill choice, as it is of the divine Thought Adjuster, an actual fragment of God. Man’s personality is eternal but with regard to identity a conditioned eternal reality. Having appeared in response to the Father’s will, personality will attain Deity destiny, but man must choose whether or not he will be present at the attainment of such destiny. In default of such choice, personality attains experiential Deity directly, becoming a part of the Supreme Being. The cycle is foreordained, but man’s participation therein is optional, personal, and experiential.

112:5.3 (1232.4) Mortal identity is a transient time-life condition in the universe; it is real only in so far as the personality elects to become a continuing universe phenomenon. This is the essential difference between man and an energy system: The energy system must continue, it has no choice; but man has everything to do with determining his own destiny. The Adjuster is truly the path to Paradise, but man himself must pursue that path by his own deciding, his freewill choosing.

112:5.4 (1232.5) Human beings possess identity only in the material sense. Such qualities of the self are expressed by the material mind as it functions in the energy system of the intellect. When it is said that man has identity, it is recognized that he is in possession of a mind circuit which has been placed in subordination to the acts and choosing of the will of the human personality. But this is a material and purely temporary manifestation, just as the human embryo is a transient parasitic stage of human life. Human beings, from a cosmic perspective, are born, live, and die in a relative instant of time; they are not enduring. But mortal personality, through its own choosing, possesses the power of transferring its seat of identity from the passing material-intellect system to the higher morontia-soul system which, in association with the Thought Adjuster, is created as a new vehicle for personality manifestation.

112:5.5 (1233.1) And it is this very power of choice, the universe insignia of freewill creaturehood, that constitutes man’s greatest opportunity and his supreme cosmic responsibility. Upon the integrity of the human volition depends the eternal destiny of the future finaliter; upon the sincerity of the mortal free will the divine Adjuster depends for eternal personality; upon the faithfulness of mortal choice the Universal Father depends for the realization of a new ascending son; upon the steadfastness and wisdom of decision-actions the Supreme Being depends for the actuality of experiential evolution.

Last edited by fanofVan on Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:07 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.