Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:42 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is Assurance?
PostPosted:  

Quote:
No, Bradly; I am trying to speak in conformity with the philosophy of the Authors who wrote the Urantia Papers...

When I think in terms of morality, I have a thesis, then I also consider the antithesis! I do not banish the consideration of others!

This looks to me like an excuse to argue simply for the sake of argument. SeLA_Kelly, this forum is not a debating society. It is a study group of the teachings of The Urantia Book.

You are beginning to wear on the sensitivities of others here with your incessant stance of argument. Time and again, you have been shown with abundant evidence the fallacy of some (if not all) of your arguments. This is not going to be permitted to continue.

Please consider your next post carefully. You are on thin ice.

the management

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Stephen...if your claim above is sincere, then please provide any related text or teaching from the UB about negotiating with God and how assurance and conscience are related...or acknowledge your errors and contradictions of the UB!!!!!!!

:roll: :-&

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Bradley has said that my words are the "antithesis" of the teachings of the Urantia Book. At least, then, I must be someone who is capable of discernment according to Reason.

Man is by nature reasonable, but this is not all man is. Reason is useful for a vast array of things, for many up to a point and for others not very much at all, hence why I have been suggesting again and again that maybe we should analyze less, ponder less and go within more, feel, let be guided. That is also why I said that those words Jesus said to Simon speak for themselves (“Seek not, then, for false peace and transient joy but rather for the assurance of faith and the sureties of divine sonship which yield composure, contentment, and supreme joy in the spirit”); no amount of reasoning will probably add much to our understanding than actually live them!

Quote:
196:3.18 (2095.2) This profound experience of the reality of the divine indwelling forever transcends the crude materialistic technique of the physical sciences. You cannot put spiritual joy under a microscope; you cannot weigh love in a balance; you cannot measure moral values; neither can you estimate the quality of spiritual worship.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:

Jesus honoured the act of John's baptism, and in the acceptance of Andrew as his disciple, used the teachings of John, how John had "prepared the hearts of all Israel" to receive the personal revelation of Jesus. Jesus honoured John, in truth he incurred the duties John imposed upon the Universal Father, because that signifies, in terms of human/socioreligious progress, that the human moral conscience should/must remits the consciousness of sin, as the basis for revelation, the beginning of faith-sonship a.k.a. "the new teaching of Jesus". And this is also true in the requirement of becoming the evangel: "liquidate all of your personal assets of the estate in order to receive sonship, coestatemanship, with the Universal Father" or "you must sell all that you have in order to become consecrated as God's evangel." An evangel is a faith-son of the Universal Father: if you want to become that, I assure you that you must comply with that requirement of Jesus' instruction.

The personal realisation of God's love is not enough. With the realisation of love in the unified personality, there next thing is a craving to work in the manner that would be conducive of the fulfillment of the soul's destiny. You realise how important and meaningful "the work of the Father" is, since doing the work of the Father helps your soul to create "a career-portfolio" of human experiencial progress, in the doing of God's will.

You guys are trying to "outcool" me, here. Self-evidence as the basis of moral assurance?? "My words 'speak' for themselves". But in reality, the way words "speak" to the human conscience , is based on the moral understanding of God. Okay, but then you must also recognise, material actualities are not experienced on the basis of "words", that just as moral altruisms are "self-evident truths according to common sense", the universe erstwhile is a "self-evident" reflection of God's love.

There are no requirements for being an evangel of truth and light...still more false claims. Certainly we do NOT have to forsake family or friends or home or career or children or any other material thing. We must only love God and wish to share our love and the fruits of the Spirit with others! Text please!!!!

And you do not negotiate with God to receive any Divine gifts or love or assurance or progress or blessing. Nonsense and falsehoods!

Many of the words you use are either not words at all or do not mean whatever you think they might mean and result in pure babel and gibberish. If you want to know what words mean Stephen then crack a dictionary Dude! That's what they're for you know.

Stephen...not one of the unattributed quotations you post above here are actual quotations...they are fictitious inventions of yours and thusly are pure deceit and falsifications without any meaning or value whatsoever and are a demonstration of your constant and continued deception and distortions of a nonexistent reality and self constructed belief system and perspective that is a figment of your own imagination.

Please quit using quotation marks for your own thoughts and creations of fantasy, fictions, and belief as if you are quoting someone or the UB - you are not!! You do know it is a lie to post something as a quote of others that is not a quotation of others - right?

It is so unfortunate that you claim and may even believe that you are "trying to speak in conformity with the philosophy of the Authors who wrote the Urantia Papers..." as you say above. However, it so obvious to all here that you do not understand or believe the UB and instead contradict the Papers with every post. How is that possible? You never respond or even acknowledge your endless contradictions no matter that posted text which directly contradicts your proclamations.

There is such a fountain of truth and joy and assurance for us mortals in the Papers which you continue to defy and ignore and contradict. And you refuse all efforts to illuminate that which so many of us find so comforting and calming and reassuring and inspiring. You dismiss it all so readily and easily no matter who tries to help you or what is said or posted with the intention of easing your anxieties.

159:3.8 (1766.4) The world is filled with hungry souls who famish in the very presence of the bread of life; men die searching for the very God who lives within them. Men seek for the treasures of the kingdom with yearning hearts and weary feet when they are all within the immediate grasp of living faith. Faith is to religion what sails are to a ship; it is an addition of power, not an added burden of life. There is but one struggle for those who enter the kingdom, and that is to fight the good fight of faith. The believer has only one battle, and that is against doubt—unbelief.

Excuse me if I bristle or become impatient with your endless deceptions and contradictions and distortions of the text....but I find your habits here discombobulating and disruptive and truly a danger to the entire community. There are those here who obviously sympathize with your personal challenges of comprehension and perspective and allow you this free reign of chaos and confusion. I admire such tolerance and patience...even when I run short of both myself.

But there are far more here that truly are here to learn about the contents and teachings of the Papers and your complete fabrications and falsifications are nightmarishly misrepresentative of what is written in the UB as to completely mislead new students and to completely disappoint them too if they were to believe your misrepresentations and contradictions.

Let me repeat for the sake of all who read along here...it is taught in the UB that our beliefs and disbeliefs and false beliefs do not define our religious experience or our standing with God and we are given both affection and assurance as God's children while we discover truth, beauty, and goodness and acquire experiential wisdom in our spiritization over time and we each fully enjoy that Divine kindness, patience, mercy, forgiveness, and connection which will lead us toward Paradise. That is the Good News. And we do not need to negotiate for this affection and assurance nor earn them to be so blessed by them and enjoy the full embrace of our loving Creator and God and to progress in the family of creation in this friendly universe!! That's what the UB teaches us!!

8) Bradly

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
God loves me? But why does he not find me more decent opportunities for labour, or answer more of my prayers after all? Why does God not help me to grow into the man he wanted me to become?

So...you feel unsure of God's love for you? And complain about unanswered prayer and a lack of help in your growth and progress? And you claim a lack of opportunities for service and the expression of truth, beauty, and goodness? And you have made it very clear that you lack Divine Assurance and have doubts as to your destiny and safety.

I have always found prayer to be a helpful antidote to all doubts and confusions. Connection to the Spirit is a good way to find all of that you seek for I think. The Master had much to say about prayer.... Consider:

144:2.2 (1618.6) “Prayer is entirely a personal and spontaneous expression of the attitude of the soul toward the spirit; prayer should be the communion of sonship and the expression of fellowship. Prayer, when indited by the spirit, leads to co-operative spiritual progress. The ideal prayer is a form of spiritual communion which leads to intelligent worship. True praying is the sincere attitude of reaching heavenward for the attainment of your ideals.

144:2.3 (1619.1) “Prayer is the breath of the soul and should lead you to be persistent in your attempt to ascertain the Father’s will. If any one of you has a neighbor, and you go to him at midnight and say: ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine on a journey has come to see me, and I have nothing to set before him’; and if your neighbor answers, ‘Trouble me not, for the door is now shut and the children and I are in bed; therefore I cannot rise and give you bread,’ you will persist, explaining that your friend hungers, and that you have no food to offer him. I say to you, though your neighbor will not rise and give you bread because he is your friend, yet because of your importunity he will get up and give you as many loaves as you need. If, then, persistence will win favors even from mortal man, how much more will your persistence in the spirit win the bread of life for you from the willing hands of the Father in heaven. Again I say to you: Ask and it shall be given you; seek and you shall find; knock and it shall be opened to you. For every one who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks the door of salvation will be opened.

144:2.4 (1619.2) “Which of you who is a father, if his son asks unwisely, would hesitate to give in accordance with parental wisdom rather than in the terms of the son’s faulty petition? If the child needs a loaf, will you give him a stone just because he unwisely asks for it? If your son needs a fish, will you give him a watersnake just because it may chance to come up in the net with the fish and the child foolishly asks for the serpent? If you, then, being mortal and finite, know how to answer prayer and give good and appropriate gifts to your children, how much more shall your heavenly Father give the spirit and many additional blessings to those who ask him? Men ought always to pray and not become discouraged.

144:2.5 (1619.3) “Let me tell you the story of a certain judge who lived in a wicked city. This judge feared not God nor had respect for man. Now there was a needy widow in that city who came repeatedly to this unjust judge, saying, ‘Protect me from my adversary.’ For some time he would not give ear to her, but presently he said to himself: ‘Though I fear not God nor have regard for man, yet because this widow ceases not to trouble me, I will vindicate her lest she wear me out by her continual coming.’ These stories I tell you to encourage you to persist in praying and not to intimate that your petitions will change the just and righteous Father above. Your persistence, however, is not to win favor with God but to change your earth attitude and to enlarge your soul’s capacity for spirit receptivity.

144:2.6 (1619.4) “But when you pray, you exercise so little faith. Genuine faith will remove mountains of material difficulty which may chance to lie in the path of soul expansion and spiritual progress.”

144:4.2 (1621.1) The earnest and longing repetition of any petition, when such a prayer is the sincere expression of a child of God and is uttered in faith, no matter how ill-advised or impossible of direct answer, never fails to expand the soul’s capacity for spiritual receptivity.

144:4.3 (1621.2) In all praying, remember that sonship is a gift. No child has aught to do with earning the status of son or daughter. The earth child comes into being by the will of its parents. Even so, the child of God comes into grace and the new life of the spirit by the will of the Father in heaven. Therefore must the kingdom of heaven — divine sonship — be received as by a little child. You earn righteousness — progressive character development — but you receive sonship by grace and through faith.

144:4.4 (1621.3) Prayer led Jesus up to the supercommunion of his soul with the Supreme Rulers of the universe of universes. Prayer will lead the mortals of earth up to the communion of true worship. The soul’s spiritual capacity for receptivity determines the quantity of heavenly blessings which can be personally appropriated and consciously realized as an answer to prayer.

144:4.5 (1621.4) Prayer and its associated worship is a technique of detachment from the daily routine of life, from the monotonous grind of material existence. It is an avenue of approach to spiritualized self-realization and individuality of intellectual and religious attainment.

144:4.6 (1621.5) Prayer is an antidote for harmful introspection. At least, prayer as the Master taught it is such a beneficent ministry to the soul. Jesus consistently employed the beneficial influence of praying for one’s fellows. The Master usually prayed in the plural, not in the singular. Only in the great crises of his earth life did Jesus ever pray for himself.

144:4.7 (1621.6) Prayer is the breath of the spirit life in the midst of the material civilization of the races of mankind. Worship is salvation for the pleasure-seeking generations of mortals.

144:4.8 (1621.7) As prayer may be likened to recharging the spiritual batteries of the soul, so worship may be compared to the act of tuning in the soul to catch the universe broadcasts of the infinite spirit of the Universal Father.

144:4.9 (1621. Prayer is the sincere and longing look of the child to its spirit Father; it is a psychologic process of exchanging the human will for the divine will. Prayer is a part of the divine plan for making over that which is into that which ought to be.

Me here: Divine Assurance is a response to the sincere longing and prayer of the heart...the embrace of the paternal affection of God's children.

May we all enjoy and grow in this embrace. And be confident and joyful in that Divine Embrace of Affection and Assurance.

102:1.1 (1118.4) The work of the Thought Adjuster constitutes the explanation of the translation of man’s primitive and evolutionary sense of duty into that higher and more certain faith in the eternal realities of revelation. There must be perfection hunger in man’s heart to insure capacity for comprehending the faith paths to supreme attainment. If any man chooses to do the divine will, he shall know the way of truth. It is literally true, “Human things must be known in order to be loved, but divine things must be loved in order to be known.” But honest doubts and sincere questionings are not sin; such attitudes merely spell delay in the progressive journey toward perfection attainment. Childlike trust secures man’s entrance into the kingdom of heavenly ascent, but progress is wholly dependent on the vigorous exercise of the robust and confident faith of the full-grown man.

110:3.4 (1206.2) I cannot but observe that so many of you spend so much time and thought on mere trifles of living, while you almost wholly overlook the more essential realities of everlasting import, those very accomplishments which are concerned with the development of a more harmonious working agreement between you and your Adjusters. The great goal of human existence is to attune to the divinity of the indwelling Adjuster; the great achievement of mortal life is the attainment of a true and understanding consecration to the eternal aims of the divine spirit who waits and works within your mind. But a devoted and determined effort to realize eternal destiny is wholly compatible with a lighthearted and joyous life and with a successful and honorable career on earth. Co-operation with the Thought Adjuster does not entail self-torture, mock piety, or hypocritical and ostentatious self-abasement; the ideal life is one of loving service rather than an existence of fearful apprehension. *

110:3.5 (1206.3) Confusion, being puzzled, even sometimes discouraged and distracted, does not necessarily signify resistance to the leadings of the indwelling Adjuster. Such attitudes may sometimes connote lack of active co-operation with the divine Monitor and may, therefore, somewhat delay spiritual progress, but such intellectual emotional difficulties do not in the least interfere with the certain survival of the God-knowing soul. Ignorance alone can never prevent survival; neither can confusional doubts nor fearful uncertainty. Only conscious resistance to the Adjuster’s leading can prevent the survival of the evolving immortal soul.

110:3.6 (1206.4) You must not regard co-operation with your Adjuster as a particularly conscious process, for it is not; but your motives and your decisions, your faithful determinations and your supreme desires, do constitute real and effective co-operation. You can consciously augment Adjuster harmony by:

110:3.7 (1206.5) 1. Choosing to respond to divine leading; sincerely basing the human life on the highest consciousness of truth, beauty, and goodness, and then co-ordinating these qualities of divinity through wisdom, worship, faith, and love.

110:3.8 (1206.6) 2. Loving God and desiring to be like him—genuine recognition of the divine fatherhood and loving worship of the heavenly Parent.

110:3.9 (1206.7) 3. Loving man and sincerely desiring to serve him—wholehearted recognition of the brotherhood of man coupled with an intelligent and wise affection for each of your fellow mortals.

110:3.10 (1206.8) 4. Joyful acceptance of cosmic citizenship—honest recognition of your progressive obligations to the Supreme Being, awareness of the interdependence of evolutionary man and evolving Deity. This is the birth of cosmic morality and the dawning realization of universal duty.

Bradly. 8)

PostPosted:  

Thanks so much to Alexandros for posting this about the assurance of "uncertainty with security"...indeed!!

111:7.1 (1223.3) Uncertainty with security is the essence of the Paradise adventure—uncertainty in time and in mind, uncertainty as to the events of the unfolding Paradise ascent; security in spirit and in eternity, security in the unqualified trust of the creature son in the divine compassion and infinite love of the Universal Father; uncertainty as an inexperienced citizen of the universe; security as an ascending son in the universe mansions of an all-powerful, all-wise, and all-loving Father.

111:7.2 (1223.4) May I admonish you to heed the distant echo of the Adjuster’s faithful call to your soul? The indwelling Adjuster cannot stop or even materially alter your career struggle of time; the Adjuster cannot lessen the hardships of life as you journey on through this world of toil. The divine indweller can only patiently forbear while you fight the battle of life as it is lived on your planet; but you could, if you only would—as you work and worry, as you fight and toil—permit the valiant Adjuster to fight with you and for you. You could be so comforted and inspired, so enthralled and intrigued, if you would only allow the Adjuster constantly to bring forth the pictures of the real motive, the final aim, and the eternal purpose of all this difficult, uphill struggle with the commonplace problems of your present material world.

:!: :biggrin: :idea: 8)

PostPosted:  

Divine Assurance is given to us all like the ocean is given to the cup. It is the size of our own personal cup that determines the amount of our personal assurance. Hope is a small cup...but it is large enough to be filled with Assurance. Trust enlarges the cup of hope and more assurance is personally known. Prayer and worship both also expand and enlarge the cup of hope and trust. The more trust we have, the larger the cup of Assurance.

Assurance is reciprocation of our own level of response to the Spirit ministry within. As we grow in the Spirit and become Spiritized and Spiritualized, we increase our capacity for assurance. Assurance is confirmation of hope, trust, faith, and the righteous expression of our personal religious experience. True religion and faith change us. True religion and faith determines our ever adjusting and maturing motives, intentions, priorities, and choices based on all of those. Religion is that experience of feeling and responding to the Spirit. It is personal and unique to each of us.

The results of the religious experience are NOT unique to any of us. The experience is personal but its results are shared universally. How so? As we become spiritized and identify ourselves with Spirit, we are purifying our very being and transferring our very identity from the material and animal nature to the Spirit nature which fills us with that Divine Spirit.

When I say the results are not unique or personalized, do not be confused. Certainly will our experience and our expression ALWAYS be personal...this is the very function of personality. But the changes that come to each of us are enjoyed by all of us based on our progress and wisdom and spiritualization. The fruits of the Spirit come to each and to all. The certainty of our safety and salvation and survival and eternal adventure and the joy of being and the poise in the face of uncertainty and tribulation....all of these are the eventual results of Divine Assurance and the experience of genuine religion.

Those who do not feel Divine Assurance and those sad brothers and sisters who may claim it does not exist are confessing their own lack of religious experience and personal faith. For there is no faith without assurance. The connection to the Spirit delivers assurance of being. From the very beginning of that connection. Those who believe Divine Assurance cannot be shared certainly do not know such Assurance or understand that faith is an act....it is a verb and not a noun....it is an expression of Divine Assurance!

This is not to suggest that believers and those of faith cannot also feel doubts and confusions early in their religious experience. But faith experience grows more faith and thusly experiences ever more assurance. When such doubts come to us, there is always the sanctuary of prayer. To seek and approach and pray to God is to find God within.

Assurance is a feedback loop after all….God touches us and whispers to us and we respond and God responds to our response and the more we respond, the more does God respond to our response....the greater the response to greater the response!! The larger our cup, the more within the cup. The cup we offer is always filled to overflowing. We can never have such a large cup as to not have it full too!! When our little cup becomes the size of a swimming pool or Lake Michigan, then those cups too will be filled to overflowing. Love is a circuit that flows through each to another and no matter how much love we give always is there more to be given.

Assurance is not just our own blessing. It is a blessing which is shared. It is a light which shines for all to see. It cannot be held or kept or hidden...it must be given and shared. It is meant to be given and shared. God's fruit of the Spirit is a feast for all of God's beloved children to share with one another!! The more we share God's bounty then the more bounty we enjoy and the more bounty there is to share!

195:5.8 (2075.11) Religion is designed to find those values in the universe which call forth faith, trust, and assurance; religion culminates in worship. Religion discovers for the soul those supreme values which are in contrast with the relative values discovered by the mind. Such superhuman insight can be had only through genuine religious experience.

146:3.3 (1641.5) On the second evening at Ramah, Thomas asked Jesus this question: “Master, how can a new believer in your teaching really know, really be certain, about the truth of this gospel of the kingdom?”

146:3.4 (1641.6) And Jesus said to Thomas: “Your assurance that you have entered into the kingdom family of the Father, and that you will eternally survive with the children of the kingdom, is wholly a matter of personal experience—faith in the word of truth. Spiritual assurance is the equivalent of your personal religious experience in the eternal realities of divine truth and is otherwise equal to your intelligent understanding of truth realities plus your spiritual faith and minus your honest doubts.

146:3.5 (1642.1) “The Son is naturally endowed with the life of the Father. Having been endowed with the living spirit of the Father, you are therefore sons of God. You survive your life in the material world of the flesh because you are identified with the Father’s living spirit, the gift of eternal life. Many, indeed, had this life before I came forth from the Father, and many more have received this spirit because they believed my word; but I declare that, when I return to the Father, he will send his spirit into the hearts of all men.

146:3.6 (1642.2) “While you cannot observe the divine spirit at work in your minds, there is a practical method of discovering the degree to which you have yielded the control of your soul powers to the teaching and guidance of this indwelling spirit of the heavenly Father, and that is the degree of your love for your fellow men. This spirit of the Father partakes of the love of the Father, and as it dominates man, it unfailingly leads in the directions of divine worship and loving regard for one’s fellows. At first you believe that you are sons of God because my teaching has made you more conscious of the inner leadings of our Father’s indwelling presence; but presently the Spirit of Truth shall be poured out upon all flesh, and it will live among men and teach all men, even as I now live among you and speak to you the words of truth. And this Spirit of Truth, speaking for the spiritual endowments of your souls, will help you to know that you are the sons of God. It will unfailingly bear witness with the Father’s indwelling presence, your spirit, then dwelling in all men as it now dwells in some, telling you that you are in reality the sons of God.

146:3.7 (1642.3) “Every earth child who follows the leading of this spirit shall eventually know the will of God, and he who surrenders to the will of my Father shall abide forever. The way from the earth life to the eternal estate has not been made plain to you, but there is a way, there always has been, and I have come to make that way new and living. He who enters the kingdom has eternal life already—he shall never perish. But much of this you will the better understand when I shall have returned to the Father and you are able to view your present experiences in retrospect.”

8)

PostPosted:  

111:7.1 (1223.3) Uncertainty with security is the essence of the Paradise adventure—uncertainty in time and in mind, uncertainty as to the events of the unfolding Paradise ascent; security in spirit and in eternity, security in the unqualified trust of the creature son in the divine compassion and infinite love of the Universal Father; uncertainty as an inexperienced citizen of the universe; security as an ascending son in the universe mansions of an all-powerful, all-wise, and all-loving Father.

I was doing some research in the UB on the concept of certainty. Uncertainty is a big topic. So is certainty. We should not confuse the two. The inherent and inevitable uncertainty mortals and ascenders face is not any uncertainty of destiny or ultimate outcomes. Faith and religious experience deliver certainty to our mind and soul...an unshakeable confidence and security and certainty. We develop a trust and confidence in God's power and plan and care and affection for us that is unperturbed by all the uncertainties we face in our daily life and the endless intersections of choice where we are uncertain as to the best choice to make and we are uncertain about the outcomes of our choices.

These uncertainties do not disappear or even diminish by faith or experience or wisdom even. We cannot predict and do not control outcomes. Jesus did not have any faith or confidence in his own outcomes by his choices. Wisdom and experience still does not put us in charge of outcomes!! So we should not expect Divine Assurance and personal certainty in God to eliminate or even reduce life's uncertainties. This will remain true in the heavenly abode as well. Our destiny (destination) is what is certain, but the trail there, the path to Paradise is filled with many uncertainties and many choices we may think of as adventure!

Religious faith and our certainty of salvation and survival and eternal life to come does not rely upon accuracy of our knowledge or beliefs for the fruits of the Spirit and the certainties of faith and Divine Assurance.

103:9.4 (1141.2) The magical and mythological parentage of natural religion does not invalidate the reality and truth of the later revelational religions and the consummate saving gospel of the religion of Jesus. Jesus’ life and teachings finally divested religion of the superstitions of magic, the illusions of mythology, and the bondage of traditional dogmatism. But this early magic and mythology very effectively prepared the way for later and superior religion by assuming the existence and reality of supermaterial values and beings.

103:9.5 (1141.3) Although religious experience is a purely spiritual subjective phenomenon, such an experience embraces a positive and living faith attitude toward the highest realms of universe objective reality. The ideal of religious philosophy is such a faith-trust as would lead man unqualifiedly to depend upon the absolute love of the infinite Father of the universe of universes. Such a genuine religious experience far transcends the philosophic objectification of idealistic desire; it actually takes salvation for granted and concerns itself only with learning and doing the will of the Father in Paradise. The earmarks of such a religion are: faith in a supreme Deity, hope of eternal survival, and love, especially of one’s fellows.

PostPosted:  

To emphasize...Jesus did have and all believers should have an absolute confidence in our standing as God's precious and most beloved children and our personal care and safety during every moment and situation of our journey, no matter the immediate material risks or suffering we may face.

Thusly are the short term outcomes immaterial to destiny. Such outcomes are always ultimately good outcomes since only truth, beauty, and goodness survive the constraints of time and space. The power of God to make eternal lemonade (ultimate outcomes) from all temporal lemons delivers eternal certainty despite all temporal uncertainty.

PostPosted:  

I remember as a child how much assurance I felt reciting the 23rd Psalm. I was taught early in my life to trust the Lord and feel the love and protection and absolute confidence in my eternal destiny and daily safety upon the Pilgrims Path to Paradise. What a blessing for a child to be raised in a tribe of believers!

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

PostPosted:  

I agree, fanofvan...a beautiful, reassuring prayer. Even though I was not raised with the Bible, somehow this prayer registered in my consciousness at an early age...

I thought our friends might also enjoy this Urantia Book version - supposedly the original:

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-48-the-morontia-life#U48_6_8

Quote:
48:6.8 Even on Urantia they counsel the human teachers of truth and righteousness to adhere to the preaching of “the goodness of God, which leads to repentance,” to proclaim “the love of God, which casts out all fear.” Even so have these truths been declared on your world:

The Gods are my caretakers; I shall not stray;
Side by side they lead me in the beautiful paths and glorious refreshing of life everlasting.
I shall not, in this Divine Presence, want for food nor thirst for water.
Though I go down into the valley of uncertainty or ascend up into the worlds of doubt
Though I move in loneliness or with the fellows of my kind,
Though I triumph in the choirs of light or falter in the solitary places of the spheres,
Your good spirit shall minister to me, and your glorious angel will comfort me.
Though I descend into the depths of darkness and death itself,
I shall not doubt you nor fear you,
For I know that in the fullness of time and the glory of your name
You will raise me up to sit with you on the battlements on high.

48:6.20 That is the story whispered in the night season to the shepherd boy. He could not retain it word for word, but to the best of his memory he gave it much as it is recorded today.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
I agree, fanofvan...a beautiful, reassuring prayer. Even though I was not raised with the Bible, somehow this prayer registered in my consciousness at an early age...

I thought our friends might also enjoy this Urantia Book version - supposedly the original:

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-48-the-morontia-life#U48_6_8

Quote:
48:6.8 Even on Urantia they counsel the human teachers of truth and righteousness to adhere to the preaching of “the goodness of God, which leads to repentance,” to proclaim “the love of God, which casts out all fear.” Even so have these truths been declared on your world:

The Gods are my caretakers; I shall not stray;
Side by side they lead me in the beautiful paths and glorious refreshing of life everlasting.
I shall not, in this Divine Presence, want for food nor thirst for water.
Though I go down into the valley of uncertainty or ascend up into the worlds of doubt
Though I move in loneliness or with the fellows of my kind,
Though I triumph in the choirs of light or falter in the solitary places of the spheres,
Your good spirit shall minister to me, and your glorious angel will comfort me.
Though I descend into the depths of darkness and death itself,
I shall not doubt you nor fear you,
For I know that in the fullness of time and the glory of your name
You will raise me up to sit with you on the battlements on high.

48:6.20 That is the story whispered in the night season to the shepherd boy. He could not retain it word for word, but to the best of his memory he gave it much as it is recorded today.

That is so cool to have a different account to compare with the traditional Bible version. They are both beautiful and comforting but this quote brings it all into a focus beyond the Judeo-Christian presentation. Thanks!

PostPosted:  

Divine Assurance is a response to those mortals who respond to the presence and ministry of the Spirit within...a feedback loop which grows in content, clarity, and volume. The greater the response by the mortal to the Spirit, the greater the response by the Spirit to the mortal!!! This religious experience automatically results in the personal expression of this Divine Assurance experience.

We must remember that Jesus was a mortal child who became a mortal adult...someone who, like all other mortals, had a progressive and transformative faith based religious experience. Not any singular event but the evolutionary and revelationary experience all mortals may (and so many do) realize by our own choices and responses to the Spirit within.

Jesus exemplifies the very human potential to choose the Divine nature and grow by spiritization and yield the fruits of the Spirit. Creator Sons become humanized by their final bestowals, becoming flesh and bone and blood while endowed by the Fathet Fragment, born as helpless babes who must also hear the whisper and respond in faith and be tutored by the inner Spirit and make decisions and take actions and mold motives and priorities and perspectives and philosophy of living and expressing all of that by mortal chouces in the situations and circumstances of mortal life.

The Papers present the story of this very human boy who grew into adulthood by conquest and courage and faith. So very mortal in potential and in fact. A life lived which revealed God to a universe by faith and by love. We too, and all people everywhere, have the endowments of personality, mind, spirit, and freewill to experience and to choose such a faith based life for ourselves. Faith and truth assurances grow soul and transfer the seat of identity and deliver those definitive fruits of the Spirit to each and all mortals who respond to the Spirit within and share those fruits with others. 

Like the Master, all mortals have the Divine Nature within!!!! The Divine Nature within is already perfect and replete. Our mortal potential is eternal perfecting in partnership with eternal perfection. We must only choose to respond to God's presence within to receive the Divine Assurance. The results of such hope, faith, and trust in God are strength of character and persistent nobility despite all uncertainties and disappointments to come.

101:3.4 (1108.3) Through religious faith the soul of man reveals itself and demonstrates the potential divinity of its emerging nature by the characteristic manner in which it induces the mortal personality to react to certain trying intellectual and testing social situations. Genuine spiritual faith (true moral consciousness) is revealed in that it:

101:3.5 (1108.4) 1. Causes ethics and morals to progress despite inherent and adverse animalistic tendencies.

101:3.6 (1108.5) 2. Produces a sublime trust in the goodness of God even in the face of bitter disappointment and crushing defeat.

101:3.7 (1108.6) 3. Generates profound courage and confidence despite natural adversity and physical calamity.

101:3.8 (1108.7) 4. Exhibits inexplicable poise and sustaining tranquillity notwithstanding baffling diseases and even acute physical suffering.

101:3.9 (1108. 5. Maintains a mysterious poise and composure of personality in the face of maltreatment and the rankest injustice.

101:3.10 (1108.9) 6. Maintains a divine trust in ultimate victory in spite of the cruelties of seemingly blind fate and the apparent utter indifference of natural forces to human welfare.

101:3.11 (1108.10) 7. Persists in the unswerving belief in God despite all contrary demonstrations of logic and successfully withstands all other intellectual sophistries.

101:3.12 (1108.11) 8. Continues to exhibit undaunted faith in the soul’s survival regardless of the deceptive teachings of false science and the persuasive delusions of unsound philosophy.

101:3.13 (1108.12) 9. Lives and triumphs irrespective of the crushing overload of the complex and partial civilizations of modern times.

101:3.14 (1108.13) 10. Contributes to the continued survival of altruism in spite of human selfishness, social antagonisms, industrial greeds, and political maladjustments.

101:3.15 (1108.14) 11. Steadfastly adheres to a sublime belief in universe unity and divine guidance regardless of the perplexing presence of evil and sin.

101:3.16 (1108.15) 12. Goes right on worshiping God in spite of anything and everything. Dares to declare, “Even though he slay me, yet will I serve him.”

101:3.17 (1108.16) We know, then, by three phenomena, that man has a divine spirit or spirits dwelling within him: first, by personal experience—religious faith; second, by revelation—personal and racial; and third, by the amazing exhibition of such extraordinary and unnatural reactions to his material environment as are illustrated by the foregoing recital of twelve spiritlike performances in the presence of the actual and trying situations of real human existence. And there are still others.

101:3.18 (1109.1) And it is just such a vital and vigorous performance of faith in the domain of religion that entitles mortal man to affirm the personal possession and spiritual reality of that crowning endowment of human nature, religious experience.

PostPosted:  

The current covid 19 pandemic is the latest source of great uncertainty feeding growing anxiety around the world. Such universal disruption and dislocation and destruction of routine, social norms, wealth and income, family dynamics, food and medical care supplies and distribution systems, education and employment, group event gatherings, and so many other important expressions of humanity are so very rare.

And so profound in effect. So many effects...such uncertainty.

What an important time for Divine Assurance!! And the fruits of the Spirit!! The human experience and expression of those are critical in such times. Profound fulcrums of transformative leverage for truth, beauty, and goodness. Already so many examples to inspire and assure one another. Love one another. Serve one another. Be family.

176:3.2 (1916.2) “And even you, Thomas, fail to comprehend what I have been saying. Have I not all this time taught you that your connection with the kingdom is spiritual and individual, wholly a matter of personal experience in the spirit by the faith-realization that you are a son of God? What more shall I say? The downfall of nations, the crash of empires, the destruction of the unbelieving Jews, the end of an age, even the end of the world, what have these things to do with one who believes this gospel, and who has hid his life in the surety of the eternal kingdom? You who are God-knowing and gospel-believing have already received the assurances of eternal life. Since your lives have been lived in the spirit and for the Father, nothing can be of serious concern to you. Kingdom builders, the accredited citizens of the heavenly worlds, are not to be disturbed by temporal upheavals or perturbed by terrestrial cataclysms. What does it matter to you who believe this gospel of the kingdom if nations overturn, the age ends, or all things visible crash, since you know that your life is the gift of the Son, and that it is eternally secure in the Father? Having lived the temporal life by faith and having yielded the fruits of the spirit as the righteousness of loving service for your fellows, you can confidently look forward to the next step in the eternal career with the same survival faith that has carried you through your first and earthly adventure in sonship with God.

176:3.5 (1917.1) “To every one who has, more shall be given, and he shall have abundance; but from him who has not, even that which he has shall be taken away. You cannot stand still in the affairs of the eternal kingdom. My Father requires all his children to grow in grace and in a knowledge of the truth. You who know these truths must yield the increase of the fruits of the spirit and manifest a growing devotion to the unselfish service of your fellow servants. And remember that, inasmuch as you minister to one of the least of my brethren, you have done this service to me.

PostPosted:  

what an important time for Divine Assurance!! And the fruits of the Spirit!! The human experience and expression of those are critical in such times. Profound fulcrums of transformative leverage for truth, beauty, and goodness. Already so many examples to inspire and assure one another. Love one another. Serve one another. Be family.

Amen!
Public radio (NPR) is a critical source of truthiness for me, and for personal stories of courage and leadership in this crisis. I encourage all here to tune in daily. I was inspired today by interviews with medical doctors who have had the virus, suffered mild to heavy reactions, and are now clear of the virus and back to work!

I feel I'm living in the eye of a deadly storm, all very still and calm where I stand. But just out of my awareness are thousands of sick people and their caregivers braving the wind. Let's pray for them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next