Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:19 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is Assurance?
PostPosted:  

Stephen posts: "Maybe not! but if my descriptions are sensible, and useful, if my words are helpful to others, let us see. Thanks for the boding of temperance. But in the end, I can rest easier knowing that at least I have expressed my view, that I have tried to do God's will. After all, God's love is unquestionable, all pervasive, yet hardly perceptible! It is too effervescent and transformative, and so many times I have counted myself out, and every time something new comes around for me to work on. But the guidance of the First Source and Center is too subtle for me to know its operation. I go natural cycles of doubt; in my darkened status, I cannot always discern God's love for every Being; but this is part of my personal psychological growth, it is even a part of my realisation of God's love for me. Well, but you know what it means to serve others, even to be obligated to serve them, when they tell you sincerely that you answered their prayer. God loves me? But why does he not find me more decent opportunities for labour, or answer more of my prayers after all? Why does God not help me to grow into the man he wanted me to become?

Clarification: God's love is not temporal, but God's love for me could be temporal, since I Stephen Kelly could be a temporal being.

Bradly here:

Not sensible...complete distortion and contradictions of the UB. Unwelcome and not helpful. Irrelevant really. We are not here to discuss opinions, beliefs, and declarations contrary to the text we ARE here to study and discuss.

Your claims above ignore and contradict all the text posted here over 10 pages. How can you ignore and directly contradict the Papers with every post??!! Incredible really. Uncanny....unless it is by design and with motive and purpose.

Consider reading Paper 91The Evolution of Prayer regarding effective prayer. Foolish and self important prayers are of no meaning or value...all other prayers are received and answered, according to the Papers.

91:8.4 (1001.8) To some individuals prayeris the calm expression of gratitude; to others, a group expression of praise, social devotions; sometimes it is the imitation of another’s religion, while in true praying it is the sincere and trusting communication of the spiritual nature of the creature with the anywhere presence of the spirit of the Creator.

91:8.5 (1001.9) Prayer may be a spontaneous expression of God-consciousness or a meaningless recitation of theologic formulas. It may be the ecstatic praise of a God-knowing soul or the slavish obeisance of a fear-ridden mortal. It is sometimes the pathetic expression of spiritual craving and sometimes the blatant shouting of pious phrases. Prayer may be joyous praise or a humble plea for forgiveness.

91:8.6 (1001.10) Prayer may be the childlike plea for the impossible or the mature entreaty for moral growth and spiritual power. A petition may be for daily bread or may embody a wholehearted yearning to find God and to do his will. It may be a wholly selfish request or a true and magnificent gesture toward the realization of unselfish brotherhood.

91:8.7 (1001.11) Prayer may be an angry cry for vengeance or a merciful intercession for one’s enemies. It may be the expression of a hope of changing God or the powerful technique of changing one’s self. It may be the cringing plea of a lost sinner before a supposedly stern Judge or the joyful expression of a liberated son of the living and merciful heavenly Father.

91:8.8 (1001.12) Modern man is perplexed by the thought of talking things over with God in a purely personal way. Many have abandoned regular praying; they only pray when under unusual pressure—in emergencies. Man should be unafraid to talk to God, but only a spiritual child would undertake to persuade, or presume to change, God.

91:8.9 (1002.1) But real praying does attain reality. Even when the air currents are ascending, no bird can soar except by outstretched wings. Prayer elevates man because it is a technique of progressing by the utilization of the ascending spiritual currents of the universe.

91:8.10 (1002.2) Genuine prayer adds to spiritual growth, modifies attitudes, and yields that satisfaction which comes from communion with divinity. It is a spontaneous outburst of God-consciousness.

91:8.11 (1002.3) God answers man’s prayer by giving him an increased revelation of truth, an enhanced appreciation of beauty, and an augmented concept of goodness. Prayer is a subjective gesture, but it contacts with mighty objective realities on the spiritual levels of human experience; it is a meaningful reach by the human for superhuman values. It is the most potent spiritual-growth stimulus.

91:8.12 (1002.4) Words are irrelevant to prayer; they are merely the intellectual channel in which the river of spiritual supplication may chance to flow. The word value of a prayer is purely autosuggestive in private devotions and sociosuggestive in group devotions. God answers the soul’s attitude, not the words.

91:8.13 (1002.5) Prayer is not a technique of escape from conflict but rather a stimulus to growth in the very face of conflict. Pray only for values, not things; for growth, not for gratification.

9. Conditions of Effective Prayer

91:9.1 (1002.6) If you would engage in effective praying, you should bear in mind the laws of prevailing petitions:

91:9.2 (1002.7) 1. You must qualify as a potent prayer by sincerely and courageously facing the problems of universe reality. You must possess cosmic stamina.

91:9.3 (1002.8) 2. You must have honestly exhausted the human capacity for human adjustment. You must have been industrious.

91:9.4 (1002.9) 3. You must surrender every wish of mind and every craving of soul to the transforming embrace of spiritual growth. You must have experienced an enhancement of meanings and an elevation of values.

91:9.5 (1002.10) 4. You must make a wholehearted choice of the divine will. You must obliterate the dead center of indecision.

91:9.6 (1002.11) 5. You not only recognize the Father’s will and choose to do it, but you have effected an unqualified consecration, and a dynamic dedication, to the actual doing of the Father’s will.

91:9.7 (1002.12) 6. Your prayer will be directed exclusively for divine wisdom to solve the specific human problems encountered in the Paradise ascension—the attainment of divine perfection.

91:9.8 (1002.13) 7. And you must have faith—living faith.

:roll: =;

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I am trying to be reasonable! I do not mean to be mocked.

Parents must provide assurance to children within their own household, in the manner which is suitable to the child's development.
21:0.2 In the vast work of organizing, evolving, and perfecting a local universe, these high Sons always enjoy the sustaining approval of the Universal Father. The relationship of the Creator Sons with their Paradise Father is touching and superlative. No doubt the profound affection of the Deity parents for their divine progeny is the wellspring of that beautiful and well-nigh divine love which even mortal parents bear their children.

Not the "assurance of God", Bradly, but the assurance of a truly affectionate father. But the assurance of a truly affectionate father, is tempred by patience. There is no "re"assurance or false "congratulations". The assurance comes not in the form of "having won God's divine affection", but rather in the satisfaction of rest, of the reasonable certainty, knowing that you have done the job, and done it well-enough. Work harder, so you can rest better; that is the way I find assurance.

And finally, what does personally "the gaining of assurance" entail? Responsibility. If you have acquired faith-assurance, you must provide in the eschewance, to see that all other beings will have gained their own faith-assurance on a personal basis, the basis of trust in the First Source.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
I am trying to be reasonable! I do not mean to be mocked.

Parents must provide assurance to children within their own household, in the manner which is suitable to the child's development.
21:0.2 In the vast work of organizing, evolving, and perfecting a local universe, these high Sons always enjoy the sustaining approval of the Universal Father. The relationship of the Creator Sons with their Paradise Father is touching and superlative. No doubt the profound affection of the Deity parents for their divine progeny is the wellspring of that beautiful and well-nigh divine love which even mortal parents bear their children.

Not the "assurance of God", Bradly, but the assurance of a truly affectionate father. But the assurance of a truly affectionate father, is tempred by patience. There is no "re"assurance or false "congratulations". The assurance comes not in the form of "having won God's divine affection", but rather in the satisfaction of rest, of the reasonable certainty, knowing that you have done the job, and done it well-enough. Work harder, so you can rest better; that is the way I find assurance.

And finally, what does personally "the gaining of assurance" entail? Responsibility. If you have acquired faith-assurance, you must provide in the eschewance, to see that all other beings will have gained their own faith-assurance on a personal basis, the basis of trust in the First Source.

Pointing out all your contradictions of the UB is not mocking you Stephen.

PostPosted:  

I think I understand your inner turmoil, Stephen. One moment you are secure and full of hope and the next, the primitive tendencies of the animal nature take over, filling you with doubt, anxiety, fear and feelings of isolation. This is something all of us experience at some point or another and at varying degrees and it is part of our ongoing evolution. Let us not forget the following a seraphim imparted about her mortal subject:

Quote:
111:7.4 (1223.6) The higher human races of Urantia are complexly admixed; they are a blend of many races and stocks of different origin. This composite nature renders it exceedingly difficult for the Monitors to work efficiently during life and adds definitely to the problems of both the Adjuster and the guardian seraphim after death. Not long since I was present on Salvington and heard a guardian of destiny present a formal statement in extenuation of the difficulties of ministering to her mortal subject. This seraphim said:

111:7.5 (1223.7) “Much of my difficulty was due to the unending conflict between the two natures of my subject: the urge of ambition opposed by animal indolence; the ideals of a superior people crossed by the instincts of an inferior race; the high purposes of a great mind antagonized by the urge of a primitive inheritance; the long-distance view of a far-seeing Monitor counteracted by the nearsightedness of a creature of time; the progressive plans of an ascending being modified by the desires and longings of a material nature; the flashes of universe intelligence cancelled by the chemical-energy mandates of the evolving race; the urge of angels opposed by the emotions of an animal; the training of an intellect annulled by the tendencies of instinct; the experience of the individual opposed by the accumulated propensities of the race; the aims of the best overshadowed by the drift of the worst; the flight of genius neutralized by the gravity of mediocrity; the progress of the good retarded by the inertia of the bad; the art of the beautiful besmirched by the presence of evil; the buoyancy of health neutralized by the debility of disease; the fountain of faith polluted by the poisons of fear; the spring of joy embittered by the waters of sorrow; the gladness of anticipation disillusioned by the bitterness of realization; the joys of living ever threatened by the sorrows of death. Such a life on such a planet! And yet, because of the ever-present help and urge of the Thought Adjuster, this soul did achieve a fair degree of happiness and success and has even now ascended to the judgment halls of mansonia.”

It is important to remain calm amidst such conflicting tendencies. The teachings of the Urantia Book, our Thought Adjuster, the Spirit of Truth are all constants that should help us navigate through the turbulent waters of material existence always pointing us to the right direction. Your personal religious life should be shared first and foremost with your Though Adjuster, who is the one absolutely capable to lead you to the doors of the heavenly kingdom. Jesus kept unbroken communion with his Father and our midwayer friends suggest we should strive for better communication with our Thought Adjuster:

Quote:
196:3.34 (2097.2) The great challenge to modern man is to achieve better communication with the divine Monitor that dwells within the human mind. Man’s greatest adventure in the flesh consists in the well-balanced and sane effort to advance the borders of self-consciousness out through the dim realms of embryonic soul-consciousness in a wholehearted effort to reach the borderland of spirit-consciousness—contact with the divine presence. Such an experience constitutes God-consciousness, an experience mightily confirmative of the pre-existent truth of the religious experience of knowing God. Such spirit-consciousness is the equivalent of the knowledge of the actuality of sonship with God. Otherwise, the assurance of sonship is the experience of faith.

Bradly, shared one of the most practical and, in my opinion, important teachings of the Urantia Book and it concerns prayer and the effective mode of it. It is incumbent upon each one of us to study it, if we desire to "enter the spirit kingdom":

Quote:
34:7.5 (382.5) Urantia mortals are compelled to undergo such marked struggling between the spirit and the flesh because their remote ancestors were not more fully Adamized by the Edenic bestowal. It was the divine plan that the mortal races of Urantia should have had physical natures more naturally spirit responsive.

34:7.6 (382.6) Notwithstanding this double disaster to man’s nature and his environment, present-day mortals would experience less of this apparent warfare between the flesh and the spirit if they would enter the spirit kingdom, wherein the faith sons of God enjoy comparative deliverance from the slave-bondage of the flesh in the enlightened and liberating service of wholehearted devotion to doing the will of the Father in heaven. Jesus showed mankind the new way of mortal living whereby human beings may very largely escape the dire consequences of the Caligastic rebellion and most effectively compensate for the deprivations resulting from the Adamic default. “The spirit of the life of Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of animal living and the temptations of evil and sin.” “This is the victory that overcomes the flesh, even your faith.

34:7.7 (383.1) Those God-knowing men and women who have been born of the Spirit experience no more conflict with their mortal natures than do the inhabitants of the most normal of worlds, planets which have never been tainted with sin nor touched by rebellion. Faith sons work on intellectual levels and live on spiritual planes far above the conflicts produced by unrestrained or unnatural physical desires. The normal urges of animal beings and the natural appetites and impulses of the physical nature are not in conflict with even the highest spiritual attainment except in the minds of ignorant, mistaught, or unfortunately overconscientious persons.

34:7.8 (383.2) Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”

Paper 34 and the last chapter "The Spirit and the Flesh" which the above is quoted from, was written by a Mighty Messenger. Such compassionate and motivating words from a being who was once a human, "afflicted" by the effects of rebellion, just as we now are. He is telling us to rely on the Spirit of Truth amidst our most difficult times, because it really is our spiritual compass, our companion that will ever guide us to truth:

Quote:
34:7.1 (382.1) The flesh, the inherent nature derived from the animal-origin races, does not naturally bear the fruits of the divine Spirit. When the mortal nature has been upstepped by the addition of the nature of the Material Sons of God, as the Urantia races were in a measure advanced by the bestowal of Adam, then is the way better prepared for the Spirit of Truth to co-operate with the indwelling Adjuster to bring forth the beautiful harvest of the character fruits of the spirit. If you do not reject this spirit, even though eternity may be required to fulfill the commission, “he will guide you into all truth.

And lastly, this most touching message of a Thought Adjuster to his mortal partner:

Quote:
110:7.10 (1213.5) During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny. This message was introduced by these words: “And now, without injury or jeopardy to the subject of my solicitous devotion and without intent to overchastise or discourage, for me, make record of this my plea to him.” Then followed a beautifully touching and appealing admonition. Among other things, the Adjuster pleaded “that he more faithfully give me his sincere co-operation, more cheerfully endure the tasks of my emplacement, more faithfully carry out the program of my arrangement, more patiently go through the trials of my selection, more persistently and cheerfully tread the path of my choosing, more humbly receive credit that may accrue as a result of my ceaseless endeavors—thus transmit my admonition to the man of my indwelling. Upon him I bestow the supreme devotion and affection of a divine spirit. And say further to my beloved subject that I will function with wisdom and power until the very end, until the last earth struggle is over; I will be true to my personality trust. And I exhort him to survival, not to disappoint me, not to deprive me of the reward of my patient and intense struggle. On the human will our achievement of personality depends. Circle by circle I have patiently ascended this human mind, and I have testimony that I am meeting the approval of the chief of my kind. Circle by circle I am passing on to judgment. I await with pleasure and without apprehension the roll call of destiny; I am prepared to submit all to the tribunals of the Ancients of Days.”

Alexandros

PostPosted:  

Thank you Alexandros!! So very well said!

It is certainly true that Divine Assurance does not eliminate confusions and conflict or our agitations of choosing between our dual natured perspective at the intersections of decision. We must not only choose between right and wrong but also between good and better and better and still even more better, and this will remain perplexing...even with Divine Assurance.

Trial and error, the hammer and anvil...these deliver experiential wisdom. The uncertainties of outcome make the results of our choices unclear as those choices are made. I find that Divine Assurance and our faith and trust in God reduces our anxieties about outcomes even without eliminating the uncertainties of outcomes.

Assurance is not an affirmation or confirmation of our choices or wisdom I do not think. To me, assurance is an affirmation of God's love and confirmation of personal safety and belonging. It delivers confidence in my origin and my destiny. It makes me feel at home somehow, within the sanctuary of affection if you will.

To me, Divine Assurance is not any form of divine agreement or stamp of approval for thoughts or decisions. It's not about thoughts or choices but a general feeling of embrace and affection and protection. I do think there are affirmations and confirmation of decision and choice...that is just a different ministry to mind and is likely more suspect as a potential form of self justification and self affirmation perhaps - a real danger and risk according to the teachings.

Choice remains confusing even with assurance. There's an old saying, "If you're not confused then you're not paying attention." (Or not thinking!) Confidence in our opinions and beliefs is more likely (or just as likely) to be entrenchment, blindness, prejudice, stubbornness, and narrow minded egotism as it is to be a result of any form of Divine affirmations or confirmation. Assurance is something else entirely.

Assurance may not make life less uncertain or choices less confusing (experiential wisdom does both!) but assurance certainly removes the anxiety from uncertainty!!!!!!!!

This is key! We are taught "Anxiety must be abandoned!" "Fear not!" How is that possible? Only two ways - the blind and disastrous self confidence of self importance and self serving egotism or by the truth and blessing of Divine Assurance. The first is blindness and the second is the result of faith and truth response. The first delivers suffering and the second brings forth the fruits of the Spirit.

100:4.1 (1097.5) Religious living is devoted living, and devoted living is creative living, original and spontaneous. New religious insights arise out of conflicts which initiate the choosing of new and better reaction habits in the place of older and inferior reaction patterns. New meanings only emerge amid conflict; and conflict persists only in the face of refusal to espouse the higher values connoted in superior meanings.

100:4.2 (1097.6) Religious perplexities are inevitable; there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. The organization of a philosophic standard of living entails considerable commotion in the philosophic realms of the mind. Loyalties are not exercised in behalf of the great, the good, the true, and the noble without a struggle. Effort is attendant upon clarification of spiritual vision and enhancement of cosmic insight. And the human intellect protests against being weaned from subsisting upon the nonspiritual energies of temporal existence. The slothful animal mind rebels at the effort required to wrestle with cosmic problem solving.

103:2.6 (1131.5) In the absence of wrong teaching, the mind of the normal child moves positively, in the emergence of religious consciousness, toward moral righteousness and social ministry, rather than negatively, away from sin and guilt. There may or may not be conflict in the development of religious experience, but there are always present the inevitable decisions, effort, and function of the human will.

103:2.7 (1131.6) Moral choosing is usually accompanied by more or less moral conflict. And this very first conflict in the child mind is between the urges of egoism and the impulses of altruism. The Thought Adjuster does not disregard the personality values of the egoistic motive but does operate to place a slight preference upon the altruistic impulse as leading to the goal of human happiness and to the joys of the kingdom of heaven.

103:2.8 (1131.7) When a moral being chooses to be unselfish when confronted by the urge to be selfish, that is primitive religious experience. No animal can make such a choice; such a decision is both human and religious. It embraces the fact of God-consciousness and exhibits the impulse of social service, the basis of the brotherhood of man. When mind chooses a right moral judgment by an act of the free will, such a decision constitutes a religious experience.

103:2.9 (1131.8) But before a child has developed sufficiently to acquire moral capacity and therefore to be able to choose altruistic service, he has already developed a strong and well-unified egoistic nature. And it is this factual situation that gives rise to the theory of the struggle between the “higher” and the “lower” natures, between the “old man of sin” and the “new nature” of grace. Very early in life the normal child begins to learn that it is “more blessed to give than to receive.”

103:2.10 (1131.9) Man tends to identify the urge to be self-serving with his ego—himself. In contrast he is inclined to identify the will to be altruistic with some influence outside himself—God. And indeed is such a judgment right, for all such nonself desires do actually have their origin in the leadings of the indwelling Thought Adjuster, and this Adjuster is a fragment of God. The impulse of the spirit Monitor is realized in human consciousness as the urge to be altruistic, fellow-creature minded. At least this is the early and fundamental experience of the child mind. When the growing child fails of personality unification, the altruistic drive may become so overdeveloped as to work serious injury to the welfare of the self. A misguided conscience can become responsible for much conflict, worry, sorrow, and no end of human unhappiness.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:46 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Bradly's post above is a master class in navigating uncertainty and doubt in this troubled world. Wow, what a blessing to be a part of this community and to benefit from the outstanding contributions of the individuals who participate here!

PostPosted:  

Indeed Agon D. Onter!!

As I have pointed out, it is interesting how the topics on "Experiential Wisdom" and "Evolution" and "What is Assurance" all intersect and overlap!!

Experiential Wisdom is the very foundation of Evolution!! And Evolution is the root of Experiential Wisdom expression!!

Evolution is the result of experience. Wisdom evolves by the results of experience. Evolution is experiential. Experience is evolutionary!!

Which is cause? Which is effect? Both are both!! Each causes the other and both are the effects of the other.

Even biologically and geologically!! But especially socially and religiously. And also on a planetary basis and universe basis...and even at the level of Deity and Paradise origin beings!

We are taught that the urge to perfect is inherent in life itself. Evolution is the functional and transitional and progressive experience of perfecting in time. All beings with freewill and personality in time evolve but so does all life evolve and, we are taught, does geological and stellar energies and forces seek equilibrium and gain stabilization over time. There are fewer radicalizations and volatility and uncertainty of outcomes due to evolutionary forces and experiential results!

We are told that there is no confusion or conflict for the purely material or the pure spirit. But every being in time with personality and freewill has some measure of confusion and conflict and uncertainty in the acquisition of wisdom by experience and in the experience of evolution itself. Outcomes of choice are uncertain when personality and time and relationships create circumstances and situations which require navigation by our decisions....lots of decisions by lots of beings. It's all so very fluid. And because there are so many freewills and so many personalities creating so many choices at so many intersections of decision and choice - then are there always inherently endless potentials for outcomes - almost all of which are unpredictable to those of us in time and making decisions!!

That's why we must experience and embrace Divine Assurance to eliminate fear and anxiety from the arena of choice!! We can only enjoy and anticipate uncertainty of outcomes by the certainty of our origin and destiny and by our personal relationship with Deity!!

Assurance is that gift which eliminates anxiety from uncertainty! Faith and truth experience come with assurance of Being and assurance of Belonging and the assurance of Becoming!!

Being. (I AM)

Belonging. (I AM SAFE)

Becoming. (I AM PERFECTING - or at least I AM PROGRESSING!)

Origin and Destiny! This is the gift of Divine Assurance.

Faith is its fruit. By faith do we choose to attach our branch to the vine. Then does the fruit of the Sprit (vine) come forth on the branch attached to the vine.

Link to the topic of "Evolution":

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5584

Link to the topic of "What is Assurance?":

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5434

Link to the topic "Experiential Wisdom":

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5693

ENJOY!

8) Bradly

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:16 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Thank you Alexandros!! So very well said!

To me, Divine Assurance is not any form of divine agreement or stamp of approval for thoughts or decisions. It's not about thoughts or choices but a general feeling of embrace and affection and protection. I do think there are affirmations and confirmation of decision and choice...that is just a different ministry to mind and is likely more suspect as a potential form of self justification and self affirmation perhaps - a real danger and risk according to the teachings.

Maybe choice is confusing because this idea is standing in your way, rationally speaking. Because if you omit "man", the human individual, "'s ability to speak and negotiate with the First Source." Then you can believe what Bradley has stated, "not any form of agreement".

But the human soul negotiates with Deity. The human soul says, "This is what I can do to serve you God", or "this is how I shall serve others." And in the moral sense, assurance is the resonance of empathy that is akin to the personal human understanding of faith, it is the answer of intuition within the one who has rationally stated the moral goal.

If you say assurance is "not" any form of agreement, you overlook cases in the Bible, like when Jacob wrestled with the angel of the Lord, and became Israel. Or when Jesus had intended to spend the day alone in the hills, but John Mark had the temerity to offer himself to Jesus, to lighten Jesus' load (177:0.4 by carrying the basket), that in fact assurance is the spiritual act of confirmation, of a wiser being to a relatively inexperienced being. If you say that God or the Holy Spirit, or even one's Adjuster Fragment, has the duty to assure the human individual, it is the assurance that the subjective rational understanding of the human individual's concept of the moral imperative, "is believed to be objectively (or universally) the right thing to do."

When you have set about in your mind to do God's will, you must rationally as an adult, work on your understanding of duty. You must negotiate with the First Source in order to decipher, "which next step is really your will?" You need the confirmation of assurance, so personal contemplation requires that you rationally posit your goals and next possible actions "for Adjuster review". This demand for assurance is the continuous prayer for the First Source to reveal His Will, to those persons who are able to do that, and intend asmuch.

So any kind of assurance would be occurring within the arena of the human mind, not a social construct. When people gain assurance, it is a cultural assurance of one household or another, even when it is this theory of "Divine Assurance", that Bradley has shaped in this thread. Just as there can be a rational analysis of human faith based on diligence and loyalty, there are assurances of foibles. The mechanics of divine geometry go awry when the mind of the human individual "falters", breaks temporarily from cosmic harmony throughin the indulgence of evil thoughts. Just as emotional expressions such as "anger" can be read, "human faith" protects the personality from the vulnerability of human reactions.

But this kind of thing, "personal assurance gained of the soul" is the ideal of "empowerment", "ennabling", or "'re'assurance", and "personal justification". Personal asssurance is "received by the spirit" whereas personal justification would be when the human individual attempts to act on a rational basis, with or without assurance. If you are in a position of power or authority, your "authorization" or "whatever plans you may sign off" upon, is like "Divine Assurance". But you have a similar duty to the Adjuster, when others are dependent on your ratification for their next action. You should base your authorization, in conformity with what you believe is actually God's will for that person to do.

PostPosted:  

Oh dear... I believe that when all is said and done, some things are best felt (experienced) rather than thought upon over and over and over again. I think that the point is being missed here and arguing for the sake of arguing is fruitless... It kind of reminds me of a musical analysis course where a musical piece is broken down and each note is scrutinized to the point that one "understands" the logic behind the composition, but the emotional appreciation of the beauty of the piece itself as a whole is gone. Or imagine a dying person focusing his last moments on noticing every little physical alteration on his body instead of witnessing the actual experience of dying: leaving this world, saying his last goodbye as a human being in the flesh to his loved ones etc.

What Bradly wrote above, about abandoning fear and anxiety is so important. Jesus said the following at some point to Simon:

Quote:
149:5.3 (1674.5) “Much of man’s sorrow is born of the disappointment of his ambitions and the wounding of his pride. Although men owe a duty to themselves to make the best of their lives on earth, having thus sincerely exerted themselves, they should cheerfully accept their lot and exercise ingenuity in making the most of that which has fallen to their hands. All too many of man’s troubles take origin in the fear soil of his own natural heart. ‘The wicked flee when no man pursues.’ ‘The wicked are like the troubled sea, for it cannot rest, but its waters cast up mire and dirt; there is no peace, says God, for the wicked.’

149:5.4 (1674.6) “Seek not, then, for false peace and transient joy but rather for the assurance of faith and the sureties of divine sonship which yield composure, contentment, and supreme joy in the spirit.

149:5.5 (1675.1) Jesus hardly regarded this world as a “vale of tears.” He rather looked upon it as the birth sphere of the eternal and immortal spirits of Paradise ascension, the “vale of soul making.”

...which perfectly complements what is said in Paper 111 about uncertainty and our cooperation with our Thought Adjuster:

Quote:
111:7.1 (1223.3) Uncertainty with security is the essence of the Paradise adventure—uncertainty in time and in mind, uncertainty as to the events of the unfolding Paradise ascent; security in spirit and in eternity, security in the unqualified trust of the creature son in the divine compassion and infinite love of the Universal Father; uncertainty as an inexperienced citizen of the universe; security as an ascending son in the universe mansions of an all-powerful, all-wise, and all-loving Father.

111:7.2 (1223.4) May I admonish you to heed the distant echo of the Adjuster’s faithful call to your soul? The indwelling Adjuster cannot stop or even materially alter your career struggle of time; the Adjuster cannot lessen the hardships of life as you journey on through this world of toil. The divine indweller can only patiently forbear while you fight the battle of life as it is lived on your planet; but you could, if you only would—as you work and worry, as you fight and toil—permit the valiant Adjuster to fight with you and for you. You could be so comforted and inspired, so enthralled and intrigued, if you would only allow the Adjuster constantly to bring forth the pictures of the real motive, the final aim, and the eternal purpose of all this difficult, uphill struggle with the commonplace problems of your present material world.

“Seek not, then, for false peace and transient joy but rather for the assurance of faith and the sureties of divine sonship which yield composure, contentment, and supreme joy in the spirit.”

These words speak for themselves - no scrutiny is required.

Alexandros

PostPosted:  

Now I can see why the human soul seeks to gain this assurance. Because conscience, any rational justifications for human actions based on merely appeasing human conscience, are not the same as faith-approval, or assurance that would be conveyed by the Adjuster Fragment to the mind of the human soul. Conscience, as the basis of morality within the human intellect, must accrue in its quality. The soul improves upon its moral conscience by seeking to know the Universal Father, through faith-sensitivity, through acts of devotion according to the personal understanding of faith.

I think that if you omit man's ability to negotiate with God, like Bradley has, then you are giving up on morally-directed conscience as the basis of negotiation. When man gains assurance, perhaps it is true he feels or experiences the Paradise Father's love for his soul, his sentience. But let me say, God's love for all/every mortal/s is true; this is given or posited as being universally true. So when this universal love "of the First Source" becomes reciprocal by the actions of human souls, the soul gains a greater mastery of the human emotion and of moral conscience. Discipline and deferrence-unto-others, as the basis of one's understanding of assurance.

What man has agreed to do in his moral conscience, let him do. Let him gain lessons from that moral experimentation of his individuating personality. But when you disregard the value of man's moral conscience, you have no basis in which to improve upon your faith. Conscience is the actual of man's understanding of his experience, but "Adjuster Mindedness" is defined as having a much greater value to experience, in the potential compared with the actual. And in the arena of human thought, you must sacrifice or restrain yourself from acting upon things that you know to be sinful, and learn to do good, in order to gain personal assurance as a self-directed Being.

Jesus honoured the act of John's baptism, and in the acceptance of Andrew as his disciple, used the teachings of John, how John had "prepared the hearts of all Israel" to receive the personal revelation of Jesus. Jesus honoured John, in truth he incurred the duties John imposed upon the Universal Father, because that signifies, in terms of human/socioreligious progress, that the human moral conscience should/must remits the consciousness of sin, as the basis for revelation, the beginning of faith-sonship a.k.a. "the new teaching of Jesus". And this is also true in the requirement of becoming the evangel: "liquidate all of your personal assets of the estate in order to receive sonship, coestatemanship, with the Universal Father" or "you must sell all that you have in order to become consecrated as God's evangel." An evangel is a faith-son of the Universal Father: if you want to become that, I assure you that you must comply with that requirement of Jesus' instruction.

The personal realisation of God's love is not enough. With the realisation of love in the unified personality, there next thing is a craving to work in the manner that would be conducive of the fulfillment of the soul's destiny. You realise how important and meaningful "the work of the Father" is, since doing the work of the Father helps your soul to create "a career-portfolio" of human experiencial progress, in the doing of God's will.

You guys are trying to "outcool" me, here. Self-evidence as the basis of moral assurance?? "My words 'speak' for themselves". But in reality, the way words "speak" to the human conscience , is based on the moral understanding of God. Okay, but then you must also recognise, material actualities are not experienced on the basis of "words", that just as moral altruisms are "self-evident truths according to common sense", the universe erstwhile is a "self-evident" reflection of God's love.

PostPosted:  

Thank you Alexandros and Agon D. Onter!! So nice to study and discover with you both!!!!!

:D

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Now I can see why the human soul seeks to gain this assurance. Because conscience, any rational justifications for human actions based on merely appeasing human conscience, are not the same as faith-approval, or assurance that would be conveyed by the Adjuster Fragment to the mind of the human soul. Conscience, as the basis of morality within the human intellect, must accrue in its quality. The soul improves upon its moral conscience by seeking to know the Universal Father, through faith-sensitivity, through acts of devotion according to the personal understanding of faith.

I think that if you omit man's ability to negotiate with God, like Bradley has, then you are giving up on morally-directed conscience as the basis of negotiation. When man gains assurance, perhaps it is true he feels or experiences the Paradise Father's love for his soul, his sentience. But let me say, God's love for all/every mortal/s is true; this is given or posited as being universally true. So when this universal love "of the First Source" becomes reciprocal by the actions of human souls, the soul gains a greater mastery of the human emotion and of moral conscience. Discipline and deferrence-unto-others, as the basis of one's understanding of assurance.

What man has agreed to do in his moral conscience, let him do. Let him gain lessons from that moral experimentation of his individuating personality. But when you disregard the value of man's moral conscience, you have no basis to improve upon your faith. Conscience is the actual of man's understanding of his experience, but "Adjuster Mindedness" is defined as having a much greater value to experience, in the potential compared with the actual. And in the arena of human thought, you must sacrifice or restrain yourself from acting upon things that you know to be sinful, and learn to do good, in order to gain personal assurance as a self-directed Being.

Still and again do you ignore and defy the teachings by these further contradictions. How long must we abide such blindness and obstinance I wonder? Oh well...it shall likely always be among us by some source or another.

We do NOT negotiate with God...or cannot and should not. What a preposterous thing to claim and preach. We do not or should not make contracts or give terms to make some deal. The completely devalues and destroys the natural parent-child relationship and bond of affection and trust we are taught to embrace.

Assurance is NOT justification of anything nor must one believe, know, say, or do anything at all to receive God's love and assurance. Righteousness is no sacrifice or burden either! You have such a dark view of sch a scary and unfriendly universe. So sad. The antithesis of the UB teachings.

I have not provided any theory of Divine Assurance. Not mine or the author's...assurance is not a theory Stephen. The teachings on assirance in the Papers are replete, clear, redundant, and self evident and I have provided links to those quotes and posted dozens of them you then contradict without acknowledging their content or meaning.

Divine Assurance has little or nothing to do with conscience and it certainly is not our conscience nor is it a source or form of justification for beliefs or choices. If you think so then you are missing and misunderstanding the point and the purpose and the power of Divine Assurance. Assurance is the affection of God for each of his children. It is God's loving and paternal embrace of us personally.

Our conscience is something else entirely. Unfortunately, you provide us all a very clear example of a "misguided conscience" (see below) and the distorted results and a demonstration of a perspective of reality which that delivers. It is most unfortunate that you lack that Divine Assurance which is so readily given and easily experienced...without demand or request or...negotiations.

92:2.6 (1005.2) Religion has at one time or another sanctioned all sorts of contrary and inconsistent behavior, has at some time approved of practically all that is now regarded as immoral or sinful. Conscience, untaught by experience and unaided by reason, never has been, and never can be, a safe and unerring guide to human conduct. Conscience is not a divine voice speaking to the human soul. It is merely the sum total of the moral and ethical content of the mores of any current stage of existence; it simply represents the humanly conceived ideal of reaction in any given set of circumstances.

100:1.5 (1094.7) The soil essential for religious growth presupposes a progressive life of self-realization, the co-ordination of natural propensities, the exercise of curiosity and the enjoyment of reasonable adventure, the experiencing of feelings of satisfaction, the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness, the wonder-lure, and a normal consciousness of smallness, humility. Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism—conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

101:0.3 (1104.3) Religion, the conviction-faith of the personality, can always triumph over the superficially contradictory logic of despair born in the unbelieving material mind. There really is a true and genuine inner voice, that “true light which lights every man who comes into the world.” And this spirit leading is distinct from the ethical prompting of human conscience. The feeling of religious assurance is more than an emotional feeling. The assurance of religion transcends the reason of the mind, even the logic of philosophy. Religion is faith, trust, and assurance.

101:7.6 (1114.4) Philosophy transforms that primitive religion which was largely a fairy tale of conscience into a living experience in the ascending values of cosmic reality.

103:2.10 (1131.9) Man tends to identify the urge to be self-serving with his ego—himself. In contrast he is inclined to identify the will to be altruistic with some influence outside himself—God. And indeed is such a judgment right, for all such nonself desires do actually have their origin in the leadings of the indwelling Thought Adjuster, and this Adjuster is a fragment of God. The impulse of the spirit Monitor is realized in human consciousness as the urge to be altruistic, fellow-creature minded. At least this is the early and fundamental experience of the child mind. When the growing child fails of personality unification, the altruistic drive may become so overdeveloped as to work serious injury to the welfare of the self. A misguided conscience can become responsible for much conflict, worry, sorrow, and no end of human unhappiness.

110:5.1 (1207.7) Do not confuse and confound the mission and influence of the Adjuster with what is commonly called conscience; they are not directly related. Conscience is a human and purely psychic reaction. It is not to be despised, but it is hardly the voice of God to the soul, which indeed the Adjuster’s would be if such a voice could be heard. Conscience, rightly, admonishes you to do right; but the Adjuster, in addition, endeavors to tell you what truly is right; that is, when and as you are able to perceive the Monitor’s leading.

8)

Assurance:

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

117:6.8 (1289.1) All soul-evolving humans are literally the evolutionary sons of God the Father and God the Mother, the Supreme Being. But until such time as mortal man becomes soul-conscious of his divine heritage, this assurance of Deity kinship must be faith realized. ...

118:6.8 (1300.4) To recognize Deity omnipotence is to enjoy security in your experience of cosmic citizenship, to possess assurance of safety in the long journey to Paradise. ...

The assurance of our survival, our destiny, our safety, and God's affection is a gift...it is experiential by our faith and trust and by personal revelation and by experiential wisdom attainment.

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:23 am +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

Stephen wrote, " the universe erstwhile is a "self-evident" reflection of God's love."

Stephen, do you know what "erstwhile" means?

PostPosted:  

Bradley has said that my words are the "antithesis" of the teachings of the Urantia Book. At least, then, I must be someone who is capable of discernment according to Reason.

"Erstwhile" means "beforehand"; before you begin to place a value on words, recognise that the grand universe is 'already' a perfect reflection of the Universal Father's love. I feel like I know the meaning of that word "erstwhile", but I do not always know what the word "erstwhile" means when other human individuals use it.

Last edited by SEla_Kelly on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

SEla_Kelly wrote:
Bradley has said that my words are the "antithesis" of the teachings of the Urantia Book. At least, then, I must be someone who is capable of discernment according to Reason.

"Erstwhile" means "beforehand". Before you begin to place a value on words, recognise that the grand universe is already a perfect reflection of the Universal Father's love.

So then...you purposely and intentionally contradict the UB here Stephen...is that your claim? You understand the teachings but choose to come here to defy, distort, misstate, and contradict them?

If true, you should immediately be bannished! =; Such a claim violates the Guidelines here.

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

No, Bradly; I am trying to speak in conformity with the philosophy of the Authors who wrote the Urantia Papers...

When I think in terms of morality, I have a thesis, then I also consider the antithesis! I do not banish the consideration of others!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next