Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Greetings to you,

In the 1970's and 1980's there seemed to be an increased interest in spirituality, including readership in the Urantia Book.

Since 2000, however, it seems interest in spirituality has waned, and in fact, appears to be on the decline.

Will there be a slumber period for the Urantia Book? When will the world be ready to accept we have a revelation in our presence?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

jwatkins says: "Since 2000, however, it seems interest in spirituality has waned, and in fact, appears to be on the decline."

I would opine that this is strictly a personal and subjective point of view and hardly merits such a declarative form of expression. I would claim just the opposite from my own perspective. Do you mean globally? Or UB student body specifically? In either case, I would request both empirical and anecdotal evidence to support the claim.

The UB movement is exploding as is Christianity in its many forms. From whence comes such an opinion I wonder?

Are you claiming planetary spiritual regression?

8)

PostPosted:  

Given our extremely short life spans, what we see as sustained trends in spirituality are really mere blips on the cosmic timescale. The level and quality of spirituality on Urantia fluctuates quite a bit, not unlike the stock market (though not nearly as volatile as that), but when one steps back and from a much longer time interval can see that the overall direction is positive/ increasing in quality and frequency.

All that said, the subject of this thread 'is our world ready for the Urantia Book?' I have to say no. The authors themselves say as much, and point out that the hope is to reach the relatively few who are able to accept it to serve as teachers and facilitators to lay the groundwork for Urantia to become ready for the teachings of the book.

I doubt it will happen in my, my children, grandchildren, or even great-grandchildren's lifetimes. But no worries; it WILL happen. :smile:

PostPosted:  

This may also be a personal observation. The 70's most certainly were a very special decade for spiritual blossoming. I think that that started in the 60's as the negative effects of the second world war were rapidly diminishing and the U.S., Britain and many other countries were now experiencing very positive economic conditions. In the 70's lavish resources were made available to artists, musicians, writers, gurus from the East or elsewhere in an effort to generate a lot of energy, imagination and creativity. There really was a search for the higher types of things that a person could develop by record companies, film producers and book publishers.

To me the 80's represent a very serious decline in general but many people were still influenced by the wonderful things and attitudes from the 70's. Artistically, the progressive influences of the 70's headier types were being thrown aside to make way for the "Punk Rockers" who could not abide any strenuous human efforts whatsoever to foster the more noble and worthy attainments of human culture. :) Dance clubs started to replace Rock concerts as the activity that young people sought. Many music bands of the 80's also made their mark not by especially fine writing but with heavy use of technology.

What is the quote? Something like: "When two thirds of the younger population should no interest in the inward looking aspects of human activities, that generation is lost".

PostPosted:  

To FanoVan, I am not writing a report, but merely expressing my own opinion on the cultural stagnation that I observe seems to rule the day.

I also have raised three kids and I can tell you kids these days give no consideration to faith or spirituality as they did when I was younger.

I would argue that Lucifer's Declaration of Liberty is rampant right now on our earth.

And I agree it will take generations before people really understand the importance of the Urantia Book. Right now, our goal should be to openly talk about it as much as possible.

PostPosted:  

Thanks Jim....I guess it was the "and in fact" statement that confused me. It's not a "fact" at all...just an opinion. We all got one. Glad to share my own perspective. Thanks to Riktare and Agon D. too.

I would agree that the family unit itself has been and continues to be under serious duress from many sources and directions. But for my family, the little ones ask about and we freely discuss God, angels, heaven...and pray together often, though many do not attend a church.

The angle of our view finder determines both the contents and the perspective of the subject (subjectivity). There is both local and recent bias to overcome to attempt objectivity. America does not lead or exemplify our planet....something to remember when considering the planetary "situation".

I find countless examples of an ever growing spiritualization and love response in service to others. Volunteerism, philanthropy, and disaster relief are but 3 angles to consider....not to mention constant reductions over the past 5 decades in the rates of violence and the improving infant mortality rates as examples of our "collective" re-prioritization of values as a world.

As a child of the 60's myself, I see much that took root and blossoms today; albeit there is plenty of dark shadows to obsess upon rather than that light which casts the shadows. We can only do what we can do and then trust the Most Highs to deliver us to our ultimate and inevitable time of Light and Life to come. Peace.

8)

PostPosted:  

Boy FanoVan, you and I must live on different planets.

The planet I live on is full of materialistic, corrupt world leaders and corporate entities that push and promote excess and liberty without license. We're on the brink of World War III my friend, and the people in charge are lying about things like Climate Change to control energy and promoting Islam being "a great religion of peace," meanwhile Christians are being boiled and put in giant dough machines and being crushed to death just because they believe in Jesus, and we are about to elect a thief to run the country.

Immigrants are destroying the fabric of Europe and the amount of debt that we are passing on to our children amounts to over $60,000 per person.

So FanOVan, please tell me how you found Havona so quickly. I read about it, but I don't see it here on Urantia.

PostPosted:  

More declarations of perception/opinion......and despair.

195:5.12 (2076.3) As you view the world, remember that the black patches of evil which you see are shown against a white background of ultimate good. You do not view merely white patches of good which show up miserably against a black background of evil.

195:5.13 (2076.4) When there is so much good truth to publish and proclaim, why should men dwell so much upon the evil in the world just because it appears to be a fact? The beauties of the spiritual values of truth are more pleasurable and uplifting than is the phenomenon of evil.

195:8.6 (2081.6) Secularism can never bring peace to mankind. Nothing can take the place of God in human society. But mark you well! do not be quick to surrender the beneficent gains of the secular revolt from ecclesiastical totalitarianism. Western civilization today enjoys many liberties and satisfactions as a result of the secular revolt. The great mistake of secularism was this: In revolting against the almost total control of life by religious authority, and after attaining the liberation from such ecclesiastical tyranny, the secularists went on to institute a revolt against God himself, sometimes tacitly and sometimes openly.

195:8.7 (2081.7) To the secularistic revolt you owe the amazing creativity of American industrialism and the unprecedented material progress of Western civilization. And because the secularistic revolt went too far and lost sight of God and true religion, there also followed the unlooked-for harvest of world wars and international unsettledness.

195:8.8 (2081.8) It is not necessary to sacrifice faith in God in order to enjoy the blessings of the modern secularistic revolt: tolerance, social service, democratic government, and civil liberties. It was not necessary for the secularists to antagonize true religion in order to promote science and to advance education.

195:8.9 (2082.1) But secularism is not the sole parent of all these recent gains in the enlargement of living. Behind the gains of the twentieth century are not only science and secularism but also the unrecognized and unacknowledged spiritual workings of the life and teaching of Jesus of Nazareth.

195:10.6 (2084.6) The call to the adventure of building a new and transformed human society by means of the spiritual rebirth of Jesus’ brotherhood of the kingdom should thrill all who believe in him as men have not been stirred since the days when they walked about on earth as his companions in the flesh.

It all depends on your perspective....

PostPosted:  

I appreciate you getting the great quotes, and they are great quotes. Every single one of them I know from my years of study.

But I disagree, it is not about perspective. When you see a house on fire you don't see, "gee, what a nice warm fire.." It's about the question I asked which is Is our world ready for the Urantia Book, for truth, for a revelation.

The answer is NO. We need to be open about the Urantia Book and start referencing it, talking about it, correcting people when they mis-represent God and Jesus, introducing concepts that will elevate consciousness.

I'm sure many people who read this forum probably do these things, but we need ti up our game and, as Jesus so adequately stated as follows:

155:1.3 Jesus continued to teach the twenty-four, saying: “The heathen are not without excuse when they rage at us. Because their outlook is small and narrow, they are able to concentrate their energies enthusiastically. Their goal is near and more or less visible; wherefore do they strive with valiant and effective execution. You who have professed entrance into the kingdom of heaven are altogether too vacillating and indefinite in your teaching conduct. The heathen strike directly for their objectives; you are guilty of too much chronic yearning. If you desire to enter the kingdom why do you not take it by spiritual assault even as the heathen take a city they lay siege to? You are hardly worthy of the kingdom when your service consists so largely in an attitude of regretting the past, whining over the present, and vainly hoping for the future. Why do the heathen rage? Because they know not the truth. Why do you languish in futile yearning? Because you obey not the truth. Cease your useless yearning and go forth bravely doing that which concerns the establishment of the kingdom.

The heathen, in this case or are the secularists - they are winning.

It is not enough for us to preach to choir, and while I may not think the world is ready for the Urantia Book now, I still have a duty to open my mouth and proclaim it.

PostPosted:  

If our world were not "ready", the Revelation would not be here...from seed to branch to blossom to fruit...takes time my fellow agondonter. As to the choir, there are many seekers who attend here, not all are yet singing...and each of us ministers far beyond these borders too...as you have and do Jim. We are both disseminators. How's the radio show going?

The "time unit" perspective does actually change much...the world changes by our view of reality and the context of the evil viewed within that reality...as you know. In the eternal view in a friendly universe ruled by love...and tainted by immature and selfish free will...which gets our attention I wonder?

Consider the world since the Son's Spirit was released...and again since the printing press....and now with instant global transmission of knowledge, information, and response....potential only grows and change only accelerates....the ship has left harbor and we quiver on the brink. Exciting times filled with potential for evolutionary progress...but each of us need not wait on our world to be in the kingdom and in L&L today. Every such soul helps...as go the parts, so goes the whole.

Glad you are here and appreciate your service and your care for all others. That's a good thing!

A little Zen to contemplate: Things are not as they appear...and neither are they different!

8)

PostPosted:  

Hi Jim,

The Heathen will not win. Even if they may very temporarily reach a plateau at a certain place on Earth where they appear to have won if you look with near sightedness, they simply do not have the resources to withstand the onslaught of reality, of the expression of the divine will and those true hearted mortals and immortals who are devoted to seeing the divine will executed.

I hope you will look deeper into the possibly naive hearts of the younger generation. Not so very long ago I observed a very small group of teenagers who seemed to be frolicking in fun together in no particularly reverent manner. One or more of them seemed to pick up on the fact that I was considering their conduct and intentions. At the point when they left the vicinity, the remaining guy spontaneously threw his arms around me and said "We all need to show love to each other". While surprised, I vocally agreed as he left. Wow! That was a major expression of the divine way I think. It certainly breaks the social convention we too often adhere to. Maybe the younger generations need an immediate demonstration of the ideals we contemplate to show to them that they are real.

PostPosted:  

To FanOfVan, thank you and to Riktair as well. I appreciate your comments and I do take them to heart.

To Fan, yes the radio continues to grow (just google Urantia Radio on TuneIn if you are interested in hearing the various broadcasts) though this year I need to have more content. Any ideas?

The Answer is NO on if our world is ready as a whole for TUB. But, here's the thing. Just like Mormonism, most people will never read the Book of Mormon, but they judge the religion on how its member behave, yes? I just read the other day that the late musician Steve Ray Vaughn used the carry the book around with him all of the time, and that was 25 years ago, as did Jimi Hendrix, as does Pato Banton.

I say that those of us who are committed to TUB, including myself, can lay the ground work of future generations by referencing the book more often in public or social life. Whet their appetites! I say, the world needs this book whether we know it or not, and as science "sobers man up to the realities of the physical universe," I do believe (at least privately) people are starving for substance in religion and spiritual knowledge.

If my radio broadcast, or my writings, or your social work or whatever you do, can get more folks introduced the very word Urantia, then we will all be further along the road in the not-too-distant future, because we will have laid the groundwork for more curiosity.

Thank you!

PostPosted:  

jwatkins00 wrote:
Boy FanoVan, you and I must live on different planets.

The planet I live on is full of materialistic, corrupt world leaders and corporate entities that push and promote excess and liberty without license. We're on the brink of World War III my friend, and the people in charge are lying about things like Climate Change to control energy and promoting Islam being "a great religion of peace," meanwhile Christians are being boiled and put in giant dough machines and being crushed to death just because they believe in Jesus, and we are about to elect a thief to run the country.....

So FanOVan, please tell me how you found Havona so quickly. I read about it, but I don't see it here on Urantia.

Greetings Jim!

I wanted to let you know how profoundly important these issue are to me. I don't want you to think me dismissive of reality or puffed up with spiritual pride by the different ways we "see" the same things. There is so much in our world which causes confusion and suffering and fear and anger, etc. There is mayhem and murder, mass destruction and genocide, children and families ripped apart by all manner of horrific and radical elements...sometimes appearing so random and chaotic and mindless. It's enough for many to doubt the very existence of God or heaven and for others to feel we are punished by God and deserve to be.

I think we should pursue your perspective and concerns more fully and consider them in light of the teachings given us in the Papers. I suggest this not only in hope of bringing some relief to your own consternations but in recognition of how common it is for our fellows to feel the same....and even worse....alone or forsaken or judged and punished. I regret any pomposity I have demonstrated and want you to know I am not unaware or indifferent or casual about what we can all clearly see in our world.

I maintain that "perspective" is indeed key to what is seen and how it is seen by each of us. And greater and larger context helps us to understand the role that immature free will has to play in the creation and perpetuation of all human suffering, as well as its reduction, healing, and eventual submission by the spiritualization of the peoples of our world. This subject is central to the teachings and, also, to the words of the Master to the Apostles. I would appreciate further consideration of the issue as you may wish. Sometimes, just saying what's in our mind and in our heart can, all by itself, provide some reorientation and equilibrium to our mind, sometimes even a paradigm shift of perspective.

This is my only hope in the matter....to shift focus to the light which gives contrast to the darkness we perceive....for there is no doubt of that darkness and the suffering it brings. Peace to you Brother and glad tidings.

Brad

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Will there be a slumber period for the Urantia Book? When will the world be ready to accept we have a revelation in our presence?

Revelation as an epochal phenomenon [the Urantia Book] is periodic; as a personal human experience it is continuous. I think the book is in a slumber period because for now to me it is more of an intellectual revelation in the written word form. But the revelation has become a personal human experience for me. Without a formal church how then does it become a public ministry? I think the answer to that would win more souls for the Master through free will than the intellectual approach.

PostPosted:  

The foundation of the new "church" will manifest within the family first. Teaching our children the revelation of the Fatherhood of God (that he indwells us) and the Brotherhood of man will provide the stimulus for the growth of religious unity which will prepare the world for a religious faith that's never occurred before. It's the best way.

The revelations of the Urantia Book must be lived and thereby taught by the example of real personal spiritual experience. This is the only way anyone can affect another person to become interested enough to open a Urantia Book for themselves and begin to read it, if it's been introduced to them.

It's not really important that the world may or may not be ready for the Urantia Book. What's important is that if you've read it, that you grow up spiritually and shine your light enough so that others may inquire about your spirituality. That's when the opportunity to introduce the Urantia Book will occur that has the most value.