Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:09 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted:  

Diego - welcome back and sorry to hear about your illness...blessings and best wishes for a quick recovery!

Sorry if I insulted you....perhaps my tone and edge were a result of my impatience of waiting over a month for your return to your question which I find compelling and worthy of discussion. Thanks for the Mark 10 reference. In my brief research I found the word "ransom" replaced by "set free" and "liberate" with some frequency in multiple "translations"/editions which makes me wonder what the Greek term used was and its optional translations. For Jesus did indeed come to liberate us all and the Jewish people from the tyranny of the priests and the mythologies of the fall of man and original sin AND blood sacrifice and fear of the gods and fear of death. I'll research the Biblical text some more and use the Paramony to compare with the UB.

Again...welcome back!

Last edited by fanofVan on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Hopefully you've followed my advice and read the blog post at
http://www.angeljohn.org/2012/03/07/jesus-died-for-me/

Here's another view that may prove to be helpful as well
http://urantia-book.org/archive/readers ... ctrine.htm

These are both well worth consideration.

Larry

Thanks Larry....I certainly agree both are "well worth consideration"!!!!!

:idea: :!: :biggrin: 8)

PostPosted:  

Diego says above: "I do NOT consider myself a believer in a " angry, disappointed, wrathful, and vengeful god", or the follower of "theology of atonement {which} is illogical, unreasonable, defeated and contradicted by the words of Jesus within the Bible itself", or subjected to "an obvious primitivism based on fear.""

In his opening post he says: "I am a strong believer in the Atonement. I believe that Jesus died for our sins on the Cross."

Me here: An interesting paradox. So then, is it that the loving and paternal God presented by Jesus also required his death to wash away the sins of a world with his own blood in order for those who believe and profess this blood sacrifice to then be "saved" from hell, damnation, and eternal suffering unlike all others who are then so punished?

How does/did the death of Jesus atone for my sins and yours these 2000 years later and all those of the world for nearly a million years before? His death did not prevent sin. His betrayal and murder WERE sins. So then the Jewish priests and the Roman government were acting according to God's will and they assisted then in the blood redemption of a whole world for all time? But only if you believe and profess this fable?

Interesting indeed. This naturally takes us to what, exactly, did the murder of Jesus at the hands of man and upon the will and wish of God redeem the world of? Original sin? The fall of man? From whom and whence did these fables originate? This is neither Judaic nor Jesusonian (taught by Jesus).

Diego - you know what the UB says about all of this, including the "significance of the death of Jesus Christ". It is plainly presented in the UB. So, I wonder then the point of the question if not to discuss the "theological" nature of "atonement"?

There is no need to defend your personal religious beliefs Diego. All that we discuss here is the contents of the UB - which says what it says and don't what it don't - and some believe it and some do not. But you should know that this doctrinal belief is not shared universally by Christians to be sure. And many, many of us born into the blood and brimstone churches discovered the falsehood of the bloody sacrifice of the Son of God and rejected far before the UB came into our hands. No one needs the UB to dispute such a doctrine as was invented by Paul and was but one of many pagan rites of the Mithraic cult in Rome. This is a Romanization of Christianity and there were many, many others.

Thanks for starting the topic. Larry's links are very well written and presented illuminations for consideration.

8)

PostPosted:  

From Paper 4 - warning, some may be offended by the forthrightness of certain terms below: :wink:

4:5.3 (60.2) The people of Urantia continue to suffer from the influence of primitive concepts of God. The gods who go on a rampage in the storm; who shake the earth in their wrath and strike down men in their anger; who inflict their judgments of displeasure in times of famine and flood — these are the gods of primitive religion; they are not the Gods who live and rule the universes. Such concepts are a relic of the times when men supposed that the universe was under the guidance and domination of the whims of such imaginary gods. But mortal man is beginning to realize that he lives in a realm of comparative law and order as far as concerns the administrative policies and conduct of the Supreme Creators and the Supreme Controllers.

4:5.4 (60.3) The barbarous idea of appeasing an angry God, of propitiating an offended Lord, of winning the favor of Deity through sacrifices and penance and even by the shedding of blood, represents a religion wholly puerile and primitive, a philosophy unworthy of an enlightened age of science and truth. Such beliefs are utterly repulsive to the celestial beings and the divine rulers who serve and reign in the universes. It is an affront to God to believe, hold, or teach that innocent blood must be shed in order to win his favor or to divert the fictitious divine wrath.

4:5.5 (60.4) The Hebrews believed that “without the shedding of blood there could be no remission of sin.” They had not found deliverance from the old and pagan idea that the Gods could not be appeased except by the sight of blood, though Moses did make a distinct advance when he forbade human sacrifices and substituted therefor, in the primitive minds of his childlike Bedouin followers, the ceremonial sacrifice of animals.

4:5.6 (60.5) The bestowal of a Paradise Son on your world was inherent in the situation of closing a planetary age; it was inescapable, and it was not made necessary for the purpose of winning the favor of God. This bestowal also happened to be the final personal act of a Creator Son in the long adventure of earning the experiential sovereignty of his universe. What a travesty upon the infinite character of God! this teaching that his fatherly heart in all its austere coldness and hardness was so untouched by the misfortunes and sorrows of his creatures that his tender mercies were not forthcoming until he saw his blameless Son bleeding and dying upon the cross of Calvary!

4:5.7 (60.6) But the inhabitants of Urantia are to find deliverance from these ancient errors and pagan superstitions respecting the nature of the Universal Father. The revelation of the truth about God is appearing, and the human race is destined to know the Universal Father in all that beauty of character and loveliness of attributes so magnificently portrayed by the Creator Son who sojourned on Urantia as the Son of Man and the Son of God.

:wink: :idea: 8)

We are taught to be tolerant of and gentle with those believers who cling to the gods and religion of their traditions, partly because all true faith which leads to God and religious living in pursuit of truth, beauty, and goodness and the expression of love for others and service to others has great value and effect for the one and for the all.

But the higher concepts of God, as presented by Jesus and the UB provide a factual and experiential perspective of Divinity and creation in a truly friendly and safe and loving universe is something to uphold....in confidence of this truth and fact.

132:3.3 (1459.3) Man tends to crystallize science, formulate philosophy, and dogmatize truth because he is mentally lazy in adjusting to the progressive struggles of living, while he is also terribly afraid of the unknown. Natural man is slow to initiate changes in his habits of thinking and in his techniques of living.

132:3.4 (1459.4) Revealed truth, personally discovered truth, is the supreme delight of the human soul; it is the joint creation of the material mind and the indwelling spirit. The eternal salvation of this truth-discerning and beauty-loving soul is assured by that hunger and thirst for goodness which leads this mortal to develop a singleness of purpose to do the Father’s will, to find God and to become like him. There is never conflict between true knowledge and truth. There may be conflict between knowledge and human beliefs, beliefs colored with prejudice, distorted by fear, and dominated by the dread of facing new facts of material discovery or spiritual progress.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

On the Truthbook.com home page is a link to Did Christ Die for our Sins at
http://truthbook.com/urantia/faq/why-di ... r-our-sins
which contains much of the UB related material on this subject.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Aloha Larry :) Thanks for your service.... and the good work you folks do... and the link.. Absolutely.

PostPosted:  

Has anyone else wondered about the significance of the "manner" of the death of Jesus Christ?

While the reason for the public and violent and brutal murder of the Master might "fit" the false doctrine of atonement, the Papers do not reveal, with any specificity I can recall or find, as to the reason for such a public and brutal murder of Jesus. I have often wondered - both before and since the UB - why and how the end of Jesus life resulted in a martyrdom story combined with the very public resurrection and visit (post-death) to illustrate and proclaim the temporal nature of mortality itself, especially for Nebadon mortal-borns, most especially for those on this final bestowal world.

Jesus managed a very cagey thrust, parry, and retreat strategy for years. He knew when and where to be and say and do to form his ministry and season/temper his apostles and disciples in serious training for after his death. The seeds he planted throughout the Mediterranean world prior to his "hour", combined with a very purposeful and thoughtful ministry over time, resulted in a situation the week before his murder that simply could not "surprise" him. He constantly warned the apostles about his ultimate rejection and death at the hands of the priesthood for months as I recall. So, when he rode the donkey into Jerusalem, already condemned to death, the manner of his death that week may have yet been uncertain, but the probability of it was very high indeed. Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday facing the likelihood of his rejection, arrest, torture, and murder.

I think Jesus was a very calculating person - wise and experienced. He was often surprised I think, for not even a Creator Son pre-determines the outcomes of free will, especially due to so many free-wills always being involved at such intersections of circumstance, situation, and choice. But I am also certain Jesus was not "surprised" to find himself hanging on a Roman cross on Friday. And he appeared to see and know the future downfall of those who awaited for material victory from their enemies and a conquering king which was never going to come....a concept even his own apostles could not shed.

But his final bestowal certainly did not require such a public and violent death, as we know from the Papers. He could not release the Spirit of Truth until after his mortal death occurred. He could have stayed longer and he could have died in many other ways within the purpose of his incarnation here on Urantia.....but he chose, or allowed, or both in a way, to be become an example and a cause for the future of the people here...all people.

I am certain that he truly and sincerely hoped to touch the hearts of the priesthood and to even "convert" the rule keepers from the traditional, evolutionary religion which held its people under a cruel and harsh boot heel to the new and greater truth of the loving nature of God and the resulting family of all creation. He also well knew how entrenched this force of tradition was at the time and how few might willingly lay down their position and power to accept and embrace the good news.

I wonder if the love of the Master for people (all of whom are His people) made him determined to leave this world with a graphic display of the power of God's love and the resolute faith that Michael had in the love and care of our Father? He determined to not go quietly into the night (like Big Mac) but to draw a line in the sands of all time as publicly as he possibly could in the middle of civilization and in the middle of a great gathering of the people of the entire region.

Just thinking out loud. :?: 8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:05 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Aloha... I just read in part Paper 188:4 and 188:5. Jesus was human as well as Divine. and I love him so.......

PostPosted:  

It would appear that the eventful days at Capernaum which included several healings and the big one at sundown may have begun the priests' concerns and growing alarm and anger toward Jesus. They sent spies to follow and cause mischief after this and during the First Preaching Tour of Galilee (Paper 146).

Jesus did not threaten the political order of the realm related to the Romans or the wealthy (except the wealthy priesthood of course!):

147:0.1 (1647.1) JESUS and the apostles arrived in Capernaum on Wednesday, March 17, and spent two weeks at the Bethsaida headquarters before they departed for Jerusalem. These two weeks the apostles taught the people by the seaside while Jesus spent much time alone in the hills about his Father’s business. During this period Jesus, accompanied by James and John Zebedee, made two secret trips to Tiberias, where they met with the believers and instructed them in the gospel of the kingdom.

147:0.2 (1647.2) Many of the household of Herod believed in Jesus and attended these meetings. It was the influence of these believers among Herod’s official family that had helped to lessen that ruler’s enmity toward Jesus. These believers at Tiberias had fully explained to Herod that the “kingdom” which Jesus proclaimed was spiritual in nature and not a political venture. Herod rather believed these members of his own household and therefore did not permit himself to become unduly alarmed by the spreading abroad of the reports concerning Jesus’ teaching and healing. He had no objections to Jesus’ work as a healer or religious teacher. Notwithstanding the favorable attitude of many of Herod’s advisers, and even of Herod himself, there existed a group of his subordinates who were so influenced by the religious leaders at Jerusalem that they remained bitter and threatening enemies of Jesus and the apostles and, later on, did much to hamper their public activities. The greatest danger to Jesus lay in the Jerusalem religious leaders and not in Herod. And it was for this very reason that Jesus and the apostles spent so much time and did most of their public preaching in Galilee rather than at Jerusalem and in Judea.

147:6.2 (1654.1) The chief priests and the religious leaders of the Jews held many secret meetings for the purpose of deciding what to do with Jesus. They were all agreed that something should be done to put a stop to his teaching, but they could not agree on the method. They had hoped that the civil authorities would dispose of him as Herod had put an end to John, but they discovered that Jesus was so conducting his work that the Roman officials were not much alarmed by his preaching. Accordingly, at a meeting which was held the day before Jesus’ departure for Capernaum, it was decided that he would have to be apprehended on a religious charge and be tried by the Sanhedrin. Therefore a commission of six secret spies was appointed to follow Jesus, to observe his words and acts, and when they had amassed sufficient evidence of lawbreaking and blasphemy, to return to Jerusalem with their report. These six Jews caught up with the apostolic party, numbering about thirty, at Jericho and, under the pretense of desiring to become disciples, attached themselves to Jesus’ family of followers, remaining with the group up to the time of the beginning of the second preaching tour in Galilee; whereupon three of them returned to Jerusalem to submit their report to the chief priests and the Sanhedrin.

Me here: The plot thickens as a member of the Sanhedrin, Abraham, gave his wealth to support the evangelists and 3 of the 6 spies sent to entrap Jesus were baptized and became believers/evangelists too!! Oh dear!

148:8.1 (1665.4) The last week of the sojourn at Bethsaida the Jerusalem spies became much divided in their attitude toward Jesus and his teachings. Three of these Pharisees were tremendously impressed by what they had seen and heard. Meanwhile, at Jerusalem, Abraham, a young and influential member of the Sanhedrin, publicly espoused the teachings of Jesus and was baptized in the pool of Siloam by Abner. All Jerusalem was agog over this event, and messengers were immediately dispatched to Bethsaida recalling the six spying Pharisees.

148:9.4 (1667.2) And it was about this time that the messengers of the Sanhedrin arrived to bid the six spies return to Jerusalem. When they heard this message, they fell to earnest debate among themselves; and after they had finished their discussions, the leader and two of his associates returned with the messengers to Jerusalem, while three of the spying Pharisees confessed faith in Jesus and, going immediately to the lake, were baptized by Peter and fellowshipped by the apostles as children of the kingdom.

Me here: After the feeding of the 5,000 and their misguided attempt to crown Jesus as King of the Jews, which Jesus quashed, the priesthood had to find some way to undermine the political tolerance of Jesus by Herod and his court. Things are really heating up. Is it time to retreat or quiet down? Oh contraire!!!!! Every Preaching Tour recorded in the UB saw Jesus become more direct in his rejection of the Judaic authorities and their methods/priorities. Every tour, Jesus became more and more popular while the Sanhedrin lost more and more support, including that of its own members and the wealthier, influential Jewish people, especially those from outside Palestine and those outside of Jerusalem. Things are heating up and Jesus does little to tone it down or cool things off. There is a deliberateness and strategic positioning at work at every decision and tactic of Jesus in managing the Preaching Tours!

David Zebedee has now established a well manned and organized intelligence agency including spies, runners, safe houses, and data transfer sites all over the area and in the priest's nest of Jerusalem.

149:0.4 (1668.4) Throughout this period and subsequently, up to the time of the final departure of Jesus and the twelve for Jerusalem, David Zebedee maintained a permanent headquarters for the work of the kingdom in his father’s house at Bethsaida. This was the clearinghouse for Jesus’ work on earth and the relay station for the messenger service which David carried on between the workers in various parts of Palestine and adjacent regions. He did all of this on his own initiative but with the approval of Andrew. David employed forty to fifty messengers in this intelligence division of the rapidly enlarging and extending work of the kingdom. While thus employed, he partially supported himself by spending some of his time at his old work of fishing.

149:1.1 (1668.5) By the time the camp at Bethsaida had been broken up, the fame of Jesus, particularly as a healer, had spread to all parts of Palestine and through all of Syria and the surrounding countries.....

149:3.2 (1672.5) The religious leaders at Jerusalem were becoming well-nigh frantic as a result of the recent conversion of young Abraham and by the desertion of the three spies who had been baptized by Peter, and who were now out with the evangelists on this second preaching tour of Galilee. The Jewish leaders were increasingly blinded by fear and prejudice, while their hearts were hardened by the continued rejection of the appealing truths of the gospel of the kingdom. When men shut off the appeal to the spirit that dwells within them, there is little that can be done to modify their attitude.

149:3.3 (1672.6) When Jesus first met with the evangelists at the Bethsaida camp, in concluding his address, he said: “You should remember that in body and mind — emotionally — men react individually. The only uniform thing about men is the indwelling spirit. Though divine spirits may vary somewhat in the nature and extent of their experience, they react uniformly to all spiritual appeals. Only through, and by appeal to, this spirit can mankind ever attain unity and brotherhood.” But many of the leaders of the Jews had closed the doors of their hearts to the spiritual appeal of the gospel. From this day on they ceased not to plan and plot for the Master’s destruction. They were convinced that Jesus must be apprehended, convicted, and executed as a religious offender, a violator of the cardinal teachings of the Jewish sacred law.

Me here: I am certain that Jesus did not misjudge or mishandle the situation nor was there any surprise or bewilderment as to the cause of this angst or the effects of his decisions and timing related to the Sanhedrin. It becomes clear that it was Jesus in charge of Jesus and his mission and his message and his audience and his timing and the eventual outcome. He more than faced the ultimate results....in my view, he created the finality of his days among us. Such bold courage and keen insight!

8)

PostPosted:  

Jesus began his public ministry without any clarity, I believe, related to the specifics of what form that ministry would take or its eventual outcome. But during the 40 Days after his baptism and upon his great decisions, after his new and full realization of his bestowal mission as Michael, Creator Son of Nebadon during the 40 Days - Jesus did understand what was NOT going to take place and the likelihood of his ultimate conflict, confrontation, and mortality at the hands of the entrenched priesthood.

Although given full authority and power to self determine his ministry now that he had successfully achieved all that was required of him related to his bestowal, Jesus desired and committed to giving example to ALL of Nebadon of the faith of Michael and the love of Father rather than to "win" Urantia by signs, wonders, miracles, and any form of material and temporal kingdom won by force or by spectacle. The great decisions made here and now resulted in the cross at the hands of those who declared themselves his enemies. This momentous time of decision and realization came in January AD 26.

136:9.10 (1523.2) If the Son of Man had any doubts about his mission and its nature when he went up in the hills after his baptism, he had none when he came back to his fellows following the forty days of isolation and decisions.

136:9.11 (1523.3) Jesus has formulated a program for the establishment of the Father’s kingdom. He will not cater to the physical gratification of the people. He will not deal out bread to the multitudes as he has so recently seen it being done in Rome. He will not attract attention to himself by wonder-working, even though the Jews are expecting just that sort of a deliverer. Neither will he seek to win acceptance of a spiritual message by a show of political authority or temporal power.

136:9.12 (1523.4) In rejecting these methods of enhancing the coming kingdom in the eyes of the expectant Jews, Jesus made sure that these same Jews would certainly and finally reject all of his claims to authority and divinity. Knowing all this, Jesus long sought to prevent his early followers alluding to him as the Messiah.

136:9.13 (1523.5) Throughout his public ministry he was confronted with the necessity of dealing with three constantly recurring situations: the clamor to be fed, the insistence on miracles, and the final request that he allow his followers to make him king. But Jesus never departed from the decisions which he made during these days of his isolation in the Perean hills.

10. The Sixth Decision

136:10.1 (1523.6) On the last day of this memorable isolation, before starting down the mountain to join John and his disciples, the Son of Man made his final decision. And this decision he communicated to the Personalized Adjuster in these words, “And in all other matters, as in these now of decision-record, I pledge you I will be subject to the will of my Father.” And when he had thus spoken, he journeyed down the mountain. And his face shone with the glory of spiritual victory and moral achievement.

Me here: Upon coming down from the Mount of Transfiguration in August AD 29, Jesus first began to tell the apostles to prepare for the death of the Son of Man at the hands of his enemies. So, it was after 3 1/2 years of public ministry and about 8 months before his death that Jesus began to prepare the Apostles for that very death.

158:2.1 (1754.1) For about half the distance down the mountain not a word was spoken. Jesus then began the conversation by remarking: “Make certain that you tell no man, not even your brethren, what you have seen and heard on this mountain until the Son of Man has risen from the dead.” The three apostles were shocked and bewildered by the Master’s words, “until the Son of Man has risen from the dead.” They had so recently reaffirmed their faith in him as the Deliverer, the Son of God, and they had just beheld him transfigured in glory before their very eyes, and now he began to talk about “rising from the dead”!

158:7.6 (1760.3) And thus did Jesus make plain to the twelve the painful and conflicting path which they must tread if they would follow him. What a shock these words were to these Galilean fishermen who persisted in dreaming of an earthly kingdom with positions of honor for themselves! But their loyal hearts were stirred by this courageous appeal, and not one of them was minded to forsake him. Jesus was not sending them alone into the conflict; he was leading them. He asked only that they bravely follow.

158:7.7 (1760.4) Slowly the twelve were grasping the idea that Jesus was telling them something about the possibility of his dying. They only vaguely comprehended what he said about his death, while his statement about rising from the dead utterly failed to register in their minds. As the days passed, Peter, James, and John, recalling their experience upon the mount of the transfiguration, arrived at a fuller understanding of certain of these matters.

Me here: And now begins those last days when Jesus sees ever more clearly the finality of his brief mortal life and the rejection of his gospel by both those in authority and those seeking free fish and bread and miracles and that so called messiah whom all awaited to establish the throne of David as ruler of the world. Jesus would not compromise the truth of the heavenly kingdom and way to satisfy the very human desire and loyalty to the material world. It reminds me of the difficulty of transferring the seat of our personal identity - one may not be spiritized by loyalty to and love of the material but must recognize and embrace the spirit realities and the truth of love for God and one another to realize our potential and actualize our true natures and identity. Jesus refused to compromise and substitute the kingdom of men for the kingdom of God and creation and true reality.

As time grows short, Jesus must prepare his followers for that time soon to come when the Master would no longer walk among them and teach them and comfort them but, rather, would be taken from them in a most public and brutal manner to be destroyed by his enemies. Jesus began to focus more on the temporal nature of mortal death and the eternal nature of the soul which overcomes mortal death by simple faith in God and his love for us all. Jesus busily teaches the Apostles that his own death has a specific purpose; to demonstrate God's mercy and love by resurrection and that such mortality offers nothing to fear by such death. Jesus also begins to teach of his spirit gift to come - The Spirit of Truth.

What an amazing story about the "significance of the death of Jesus Christ"!!!!

8)

PostPosted:  

While a lad of just 14-15, Jesus was already considering the form and content of his life's ministry. His visit to the temple at age 13 revealed the hypocrisy and tyranny of the priesthood and the subjugation of his people by these so called "religious" leaders who present a very primitive and inadequate portrait of creation, humanity, and God.

126:0.3 (1386.3) As he grew older, Jesus’ pity and love for the Jewish people deepened, but with the passing years, there developed in his mind a growing righteous resentment of the presence in the Father’s temple of the politically appointed priests. Jesus had great respect for the sincere Pharisees and the honest scribes, but he held the hypocritical Pharisees and the dishonest theologians in great contempt; he looked with disdain upon all those religious leaders who were not sincere. When he scrutinized the leadership of Israel, he was sometimes tempted to look with favor on the possibility of his becoming the Messiah of Jewish expectation, but he never yielded to such a temptation.

126:0.4 (1386.4) The story of his exploits among the wise men of the temple in Jerusalem was gratifying to all Nazareth, especially to his former teachers in the synagogue school. For a time his praise was on everybody’s lips. All the village recounted his childhood wisdom and praiseworthy conduct and predicted that he was destined to become a great leader in Israel; at last a really great teacher was to come out of Nazareth in Galilee. And they all looked forward to the time when he would be fifteen years of age so that he might be permitted regularly to read the Scriptures in the synagogue on the Sabbath day.

127:6.13 (1405.5) And so, as the years pass, this young man of Nazareth continues to experience life as it is lived in mortal flesh on the worlds of time and space. He lives a full, representative, and replete life on Urantia. He left this world ripe in the experience which his creatures pass through during the short and strenuous years of their first life, the life in the flesh. And all this human experience is an eternal possession of the Universe Sovereign. He is our understanding brother, sympathetic friend, experienced sovereign, and merciful father.

127:6.14 (1405.6) As a child he accumulated a vast body of knowledge; as a youth he sorted, classified, and correlated this information; and now as a man of the realm he begins to organize these mental possessions preparatory to utilization in his subsequent teaching, ministry, and service in behalf of his fellow mortals on this world and on all other spheres of habitation throughout the entire universe of Nebadon.

127:6.15 (1405.7) Born into the world a babe of the realm, he has lived his childhood life and passed through the successive stages of youth and young manhood; he now stands on the threshold of full manhood, rich in the experience of human living, replete in the understanding of human nature, and full of sympathy for the frailties of human nature. He is becoming expert in the divine art of revealing his Paradise Father to all ages and stages of mortal creatures.

127:6.16 (1406.1) And now as a full-grown man — an adult of the realm — he prepares to continue his supreme mission of revealing God to men and leading men to God.

128:0.2 (1407.2) Always be mindful of the twofold purpose of Michael’s bestowal on Urantia:

128:0.3 (1407.3) 1. The mastering of the experience of living the full life of a human creature in mortal flesh, the completion of his sovereignty in Nebadon.

128:0.4 (1407.4) 2. The revelation of the Universal Father to the mortal dwellers on the worlds of time and space and the more effective leading of these same mortals to a better understanding of the Universal Father.

128:0.5 (1407.5) All other creature benefits and universe advantages were incidental and secondary to these major purposes of the mortal bestowal.

1. The Twenty-First Year (A.D. 15)

128:1.1 (1407.6) With the attainment of adult years Jesus began in earnest and with full self-consciousness the task of completing the experience of mastering the knowledge of the life of his lowest form of intelligent creatures, thereby finally and fully earning the right of unqualified rulership of his self-created universe. He entered upon this stupendous task fully realizing his dual nature. But he had already effectively combined these two natures into one — Jesus of Nazareth.

128:1.2 (1407.7) Joshua ben Joseph knew full well that he was a man, a mortal man, born of woman. This is shown in the selection of his first title, the Son of Man. He was truly a partaker of flesh and blood, and even now, as he presides in sovereign authority over the destinies of a universe, he still bears among his numerous well-earned titles that of Son of Man. It is literally true that the creative Word — the Creator Son — of the Universal Father was “made flesh and dwelt as a man of the realm on Urantia.” He labored, grew weary, rested, and slept. He hungered and satisfied such cravings with food; he thirsted and quenched his thirst with water. He experienced the full gamut of human feelings and emotions; he was “in all things tested, even as you are,” and he suffered and died.

128:1.3 (1407.8) He obtained knowledge, gained experience, and combined these into wisdom, just as do other mortals of the realm. Until after his baptism he availed himself of no supernatural power. He employed no agency not a part of his human endowment as a son of Joseph and Mary.

128:1.4 (1408.1) As to the attributes of his prehuman existence, he emptied himself. Prior to the beginning of his public work his knowledge of men and events was wholly self-limited. He was a true man among men.

Me here: So, Jesus formulated his ministry plans as a man of the realm and of the time based on his personal experience as boy, youth, and young man. He embraced the grief, loss, and challenge to be brother and father to his siblings and managed to avoid some very common and conflicting youthful reactions and responses to his generation and time. He was wholly focused on bringing God and man closer together and to "release" the hostages of fear, tradition, and tyranny as he perceived his fellows to be and to "set free" those who languished from false concepts of heaven and God and the spirit.

From here Jesus continues his "education" of human experience and begins his "personal" ministry of person to person, seeking knowledge of people and how to introduce his far higher insights and concepts of our paternal God. His public ministry still years ahead, he is planting seeds and building a foundation for that work to come while growing in strength and courage and wisdom in his personal relationship with the Adjuster - the God Fragment Within.

His public ministry experience ultimately leads Jesus to begin formulating his "end game" based on all prior experience and his desire to illuminate and illustrate the Love of God, the Mercy of God, and the Family of God. Bear in mind that none of what happened was scripted or pre-ordained but was the result of Jesus' Free Will expressions of his own inner life and spirit progress....a very human experience and expression. The result of which was his ultimate public murder. Indeed there is great significance in his life and his death and the manner of his death....but most especially, perhaps, was his resurrection and triumph over uncertainty, fear, and the mortal death....the portal for deliverance to the heavenly abode.

:wink: 8)

PostPosted:  

Quote:
What was (is) the significance of the death of Jesus Christ?

I know it's a problem, dealing with the TRUTH of the matter, the elephant in the room. Here's the significance:
The incarnated Creator Son of this Universe was brutally murdered by the barbaric inhabitants of this world!

Why?

Because his saving message of Love and Mercy needed to be silenced for the purpose of furthering incorporated profit and greed, disguised as organized religion.

(184:4.5) What is this trait of the animal in man which leads him to want to insult and physically assault that which he cannot spiritually attain or intellectually achieve? In the half-civilized man there still lurks an evil brutality which seeks to vent itself upon those who are superior in wisdom and spiritual attainment. Witness the evil coarseness and the brutal ferocity of these supposedly civilized men as they derived a certain form of animal pleasure from this physical attack upon the unresisting Son of Man. As these insults, taunts, and blows fell upon Jesus, he was undefending but not defenseless. Jesus was not vanquished, merely uncontending in the material sense.

What's more, then to cover up this sin, other equally barbaric and morally compromised inhabitants of this world spread a GREAT LIE that the Father in heaven demanded a ransom, like a criminal seeking revenge, for the sins of every individual inhabitant of this pathetic world, by requiring the murder of Jesus of Nazareth to satisfy some crazed blood lust!

MADNESS!

The whole thing is so outrageous, there aren't enough words to express how SIGNIFICANT it all is.

Do you really think this is normal? To kill the incarnated Creator Son of God?

Do you really think this happens on EVERY world where a Creator Son incarnates?

Do you realize what it means for this universe, if the inhabitants of this world can do that, what else the monsters of this world might be capable of?

Is it any wonder why the designated area on the initial mansion world is a DETENTION (prison) zone for the barbaric surviving inhabitants of Urantia?

If we destroyed the Son of God, what else are we destroying that's significant?

PostPosted:  

We know from the following UB quotes that Micheal went on to "Salvington" and that "the celestial host not required for duty" followed Micheal, where also "this was the third of the planetary roll calls, or complete dispensational resurrections."

Quote:
(2024.5) 189:3.3 Notwithstanding that countless individuals having personal seraphic guardians and those achieving the requisite attainment of spiritual personality progress had gone on to mansonia during the ages subsequent to the times of Adam and Eve, and though there had been many special and millennial resurrections of Urantia sons, this was the third of the planetary roll calls, or complete dispensational resurrections. The first occurred at the time of the arrival of the Planetary Prince, the second during the time of Adam, and this, the third, signalized the morontia resurrection, the mortal transit, of Jesus of Nazareth.

Quote:
(2024.6) 189:3.4 When the signal of the planetary resurrection had been received by the chief of archangels, the Personalized Adjuster of the Son of Man relinquished his authority over the celestial hosts assembled on Urantia, turning all these sons of the local universe back to the jurisdiction of their respective commanders. And when he had done this, he departed for Salvington to register with Immanuel the completion of the mortal transit of Michael. And he was immediately followed by all the celestial host not required for duty on Urantia. But Gabriel remained on Urantia with the morontia Jesus.

But, in the last line from the UB quote above it indicates that Jesus, "the morontia Jesus" stayed on Urantia along with Gabriel. Where it might indicate that He was to take on an ascension process, but wouldn't need to because He already was joined with the Father, so, similar to a Midwayer in form, was He able to continue on, on Urantia over the years of time, in order to do what?
This would be the question to ask here. For if He has been in a "morontia" body, what would this allow Him to do? And, if He said that He would return, how would he do so from being in "morontia" form? Would He have been able to function with the Celestial Administration of Urantia, or maybe just keep an eye on them, to see what was really going on?

PostPosted:  

189:1.6 (2021.5) Let us forever clarify the concept of the resurrection of Jesus by making the following statements:

189:1.7 (2021.6) 1. His material or physical body was not a part of the resurrected personality. When Jesus came forth from the tomb, his body of flesh remained undisturbed in the sepulchre. He emerged from the burial tomb without moving the stones before the entrance and without disturbing the seals of Pilate.

189:1.8 (2021.7) 2. He did not emerge from the tomb as a spirit nor as Michael of Nebadon; he did not appear in the form of the Creator Sovereign, such as he had had before his incarnation in the likeness of mortal flesh on Urantia.

189:1.9 (2021. 8 ) 3. He did come forth from this tomb of Joseph in the very likeness of the morontia personalities of those who, as resurrected morontia ascendant beings, emerge from the resurrection halls of the first mansion world of this local system of Satania. And the presence of the Michael memorial in the center of the vast court of the resurrection halls of mansonia number one leads us to conjecture that the Master’s resurrection on Urantia was in some way fostered on this, the first of the system mansion worlds.

189:1.10 (2022.1) The first act of Jesus on arising from the tomb was to greet Gabriel and instruct him to continue in executive charge of universe affairs under Immanuel, and then he directed the chief of the Melchizedeks to convey his brotherly greetings to Immanuel. He thereupon asked the Most High of Edentia for the certification of the Ancients of Days as to his mortal transit; and turning to the assembled morontia groups of the seven mansion worlds, here gathered together to greet and welcome their Creator as a creature of their order, Jesus spoke the first words of the postmortal career. Said the morontia Jesus: “Having finished my life in the flesh, I would tarry here for a short time in transition form that I may more fully know the life of my ascendant creatures and further reveal the will of my Father in Paradise.”

189:1.11 (2022.2) After Jesus had spoken, he signaled to the Personalized Adjuster, and all universe intelligences who had been assembled on Urantia to witness the resurrection were immediately dispatched to their respective universe assignments.

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:

Is it any wonder why the designated area on the initial mansion world is a DETENTION (prison) zone for the barbaric surviving inhabitants of Urantia?

Nod, there is a lot in your post that I disagree with, but let's focus on your statement above, which is incorrect.

15:7.5 (174.5) Jerusem, the headquarters of your local system of Satania, has its seven worlds of transition culture, each of which is encircled by seven satellites, among which are the seven mansion worlds of morontia detention, man’s first postmortal residence. As the term heaven has been used on Urantia, it has sometimes meant these seven mansion worlds, the first mansion world being denominated the first heaven, and so on to the seventh.

30:4.16 (341.6) The plan of initial mortal detention on seven worlds of progressive training is nearly universal in Orvonton. In each local system of approximately one thousand inhabited planets there are seven mansion worlds, usually satellites or subsatellites of the system capital. They are the receiving worlds for the majority of ascending mortals.

47:3.8 (533.6) Almost the entire experience of mansion world number one pertains to deficiency ministry. Survivors arriving on this first of the detention spheres present so many and such varied defects of creature character and deficiencies of mortal experience that the major activities of the realm are occupied with the correction and cure of these manifold legacies of the life in the flesh on the material evolutionary worlds of time and space.

45:7.1 (517.3) The Melchizedeks are the directors of that large corps of instructors — partially spiritualized will creatures and others — who function so acceptably on Jerusem and its associated worlds but especially on the seven mansion worlds. These are the detention planets, where those mortals who fail to achieve fusion with their indwelling Adjusters during the life in the flesh are rehabilitated in transient form to receive further help and to enjoy extended opportunity for continuing their strivings for spiritual attainment, those very efforts which were prematurely interrupted by death. Or if, for any other reason of hereditary handicap, unfavorable environment, or conspiracy of circumstances, this soul attainment was not completed, no matter what the reason, all who are true of purpose and worthy in spirit find themselves, as themselves, present on the continuing planets, where they must learn to master the essentials of the eternal career, to possess themselves of traits which they could not, or did not, acquire during the lifetime in the flesh.

A "prison zone"? Hardly! The prison worlds are located on Jerusem.

53:9.4 (611.3) Satan could come to Urantia because you had no Son of standing in residence — neither Planetary Prince nor Material Son. Machiventa Melchizedek has since been proclaimed vicegerent Planetary Prince of Urantia, and the opening of the case of Gabriel vs. Lucifer has signalized the inauguration of temporary planetary regimes on all the isolated worlds. It is true that Satan did periodically visit Caligastia and others of the fallen princes right up to the time of the presentation of these revelations, when there occurred the first hearing of Gabriel’s plea for the annihilation of the archrebels. Satan is now unqualifiedly detained on the Jerusem prison worlds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next