Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:13 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Author Message
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
Always is the way open to acquire more knowledge, to gain additional information respecting one's present and future work as well as universal cultural knowledge, information designed to make ascending mortals more intelligent and effective citizens of the morontia and spirit worlds. 44:3:6


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
Those things which you might have learned on earth, but which you failed to learn, must be acquired under the tutelage of these faithful and patient teachers. There are no royal roads, short cuts, or easy paths to Paradise. Irrespective of the individual variations of the route, you master the lessons of one sphere before you proceed to another; at least this is true after you once leave the world of your nativity. 48:5:7


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
The epoch of philosophy and brotherhood. When mortals learn to think and begin to profit by experience, they become philosophical - they start out to reason within themselves and to exercise discriminative judgment. The society of this age becomes ethical, and the mortals of such an era are truly becoming moral beings. 50:5:8


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 am +0000
Posts: 3738
nodAmanaV wrote:
After studying Jesus, what he said and how he lived, did not Jesus expect his followers to go out and perform religious work?

What was this religious work?


We've had this conversation multiple times nod. There are instructions for apostles and for disciples and for believers. You seem endlessly focused on "what" others are not doing you think they should and what others are doing you don't think they should. The answer is clearly given in the UB and by Jesus as well. We are to live by the law of love. There is no "what" that is uniform, unless it is to pray and grow with sincerity and loyalty. Other than that, circle making decisions are faced in every life every day. All work and all life is noble and true based on our motive and intention....not our "what". We are each free and encouraged to live a personalized life of discovery and expression and this uniqueness is purposeful to the all and the Supreme. Worry less about "what" "others" "should" "be doing"!! The only question you need answer is "how" and "why" you should be doing "what".

You still do not acknowledge this fact?

Rexford - thank you for such a demonstration of patience and persistence. I am also dismayed the mods here have allowed a take over and shutting down of discussion and study by hecklers and jecklers who delight only in their ability to cast doubts and disruption with name calling and caterwalling, endlessly the same old song and dance. Trolls indeed. It's past time for Manny's Madness to be silenced here for the third or fourth time in 3-4 years. His tune and tone do not change. He defies the guidelines and purposes here over and over and over again taking over every topic begun and dragging them down his rabbit holes of darkness and madness.

We shall see how such lemons are to become lemonade over time. I am glad there are still some actual sincere students who do attend here and ask sincere questions regarding that which we share here together in study. I know you, like me, have a very full and interesting pilgrim's path filled with adventure and growth in the Spirit. Life is not virtual. Nor is it lived in a book, even this one! Such snide accusations and insinuations only demonstrate those whose superiority blinds the truth within the facts of reality and the journey through the terrain. Blind arrogance. Like yapping dogs, very little dogs whose yap is louder than their size as tadpoles but could never reach the dimensions of their ego. They learn nothing and contribute nothing, well nothing but endless noise. Like you....I too am fed up with it.

Manny's insincere apology and immediate posting of his MannyFesto says a lot. He's been here over 4years and kicked off more than once but feigns surprise as the nature of this place and the guidelines he violates. Poppycock!

8) :roll: :wink:


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 am +0000
Posts: 1369
Brad, it's ok that you want to stop me. The brakes have been stepped on for ages on this planet. Nothing new. However, it's refreshing to see how something new is beginning to happen. I can see it all around me. My foot is on the accelerator, since I have a map and know where I'm going.

If the Urantia Book "says what it says" why would anyone need somebody else to explain what it says? But I get it, this is a study group and maps are hard to read.

Here's what the book says and I'd like to share it with you:

195:9.8 The world needs more firsthand religion. Even Christianity—the best of the religions of the twentieth century—is not only a religion about Jesus, but it is so largely one which men experience secondhand. They take their religion wholly as handed down by their accepted religious teachers. What an awakening the world would experience if it could only see Jesus as he really lived on earth and know, firsthand, his life-giving teachings! Descriptive words of things beautiful cannot thrill like the sight thereof, neither can creedal words inspire men's souls like the experience of knowing the presence of God. But expectant faith will ever keep the hope-door of man's soul open for the entrance of the eternal spiritual realities of the divine values of the worlds beyond.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
Greetings Brad,

Thank you so much for your voice of sanity and your obvious sincerity.

I keep wondering why nod is constantly complaining about all study and no service when all he seems to do is sit on his computer and heckle those who study here, particularly you and me. I would think that he would be out doing his religious work, or is his religious work harassing students here on this forum? It is hard to tell, but I cannot find anything worthwhile in that type of behavior. Allow me to suggest that he go out and do some actual work. Since he knows where he is going and he has his foot firmly on the accelerator, then let it rip! The only problem is, I do not see any enthusiasm in his claims of going somewhere. The only enthusiasm I see from him is hassling sincere students of the Papers.

As for the claim that thinking and studying are not work, I am flabbergasted by that statement. Obviously, if you have not thought hard and long on something, you would not know that it is real work to do so. That is why I complained about the inanity here. Obviously there is a lot of superficiality and shallow thinking going on. Is this on purpose? Is it done to pester us? Or, is it defense against having to do the real work of thinking? One wonders.

But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking. 16:6:9

Tired,
Rexford


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
Greetings nod,

What is firsthand religion?

Wondering,
Rexford


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 am +0000
Posts: 1369
Rexford wrote:
What is firsthand religion?

Think about it. Is it the religion of Jesus? He thought about it, then he got to work.

Rexford, you and Brad go about being gracious in a funny way. What am I doing other than joining you in thinking about things? Your's and Brad's posts are most confrontational. Why? Am I confronting you two? This forum has more people involved than just you two. Why do you take what I say as being directed at you? You're not that important. Honestly, what I say in this forum has nothing to do with you. Because you treat this place as if only what you say matters and that if someone else says something you don't agree with or understand, you "troll" them. Take a break and think about it so you two don't continue to be the pylons at the sides of the road.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
Greetings nod,

The way I understand the meaning of the word "firsthand", is that it has to do with personal experience. Therefore, firsthand religion would be personal religious experience. What is personal religious experience and how does it relate to religious work? Also, exactly what religious work would you like me to do? What do you think I should be doing? Give me the lowdown.

Rexford


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 am +0000
Posts: 1369
Rexford wrote:
Greetings nod,

The way I understand the meaning of the word "firsthand", is that it has to do with personal experience. Therefore, firsthand religion would be personal religious experience. What is personal religious experience and how does it relate to religious work? Also, exactly what religious work would you like me to do? What do you think I should be doing? Give me the lowdown.

Rexford

Personally I hope you're doing what everybody should be doing, the right thing personally. Again Rexford, I'm not posting in response to you or anybody personally. I'm just participating like everyone else is. However, I am trying to use what others express here as a counterpoint. Because I believe we are in the midst of redefining religion, to make it personally firsthand like it's never been done before. I'm looking to all of you for your suggestions and want to make a contribution as well. I really hope this inclination towards thinking that somebody is being insulting will cease.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
Greetings nod,

nodAmanaV wrote:
I really hope this inclination towards thinking that somebody is being insulting will cease.


It will only happen if you stop insulting people. I could copy and paste all the insults you leveled at me personally, but I am inclined to let them go. However, I will no longer ignore any directed at my person. The next insult you hurl at me will be highlighted for everyone to see its lack of graciousness. If you are sincere in your wish that I cease to consider many of your posts insulting, then you will cease insulting me. It seems rather straightforward to me. That would be very good religious work for you to do, maybe even circle-making, who knows.

I also think you hide behind quote-speak so your own personal opinion is never actually conveyed. That is no way to contribute to study, if that is what you truly desire to do here. This is another reason I doubt your sincerity. I tried doing what you do in my last few posts in order to mirror your behavior to prove my point, and I am sure most found it very annoying and unsatisfactory. It is a shallow form of personal communication and a coward's way to avoid debate.

If you really are here to study, I have not seen the evidence so far. I am sure, however, that if you are sincere you will come up with something thoughtful to say rather soon. Again, what is firsthand religion? Do you have it? How would you describe it? If this is what the world really needs, then how does one get it? If you have it, how did you get it? Would you mind explaining all this to us tadpoles who obviously do not have a clue?

Rexford


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 am +0000
Posts: 1369
Why are you having such a hard time Rexford? Why do you continue to fume? Does what I post bother you that much? Why do you insist that you're being challenged when you're not.

Move on.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 am +0000
Posts: 3738
nodAmanaV wrote:

If the Urantia Book "says what it says" why would anyone need somebody else to explain what it says? But I get it, this is a study group and maps are hard to read.


That's an easy one. Let's say you have a technical text book that's 2000 pages long and each page averages 10 or more facts. There is much to study and learn, no? Collating and correlating and integrating to compile a wholeness to perspective which the individual facts cannot provide alone. Thus, the need for teachers and the need for study groups for students to learn from and teach one another regarding the threads of facts and the tapestry of the weaving together of all those individual facts!!

It takes at least two full readings to even begin to see a tapestry emerge from the threads woven. Depth, dimension, texture, color, pattern....emerge slowly for the sincere student. Much to share indeed!! This is why I do not attempt or intend to say what it "means" but to say what it says! The UB speaks clearly for itself...to those who actually read it. This is not some simple message, it contains tens of thousands of facts to learn and incorporate in our view of reality and our philosophy of daily living within that reality. To say otherwise is to demean the Papers and their importance as an epochal gift of revelation to reduce confusions and eliminate error.

nodAmanaV wrote:
Rexford wrote:
What is firsthand religion?

Think about it. Is it the religion of Jesus? He thought about it, then he got to work.

Rexford, you and Brad go about being gracious in a funny way. What am I doing other than joining you in thinking about things? Your's and Brad's posts are most confrontational. Why? Am I confronting you two? This forum has more people involved than just you two. Why do you take what I say as being directed at you? You're not that important. Honestly, what I say in this forum has nothing to do with you. Because you treat this place as if only what you say matters and that if someone else says something you don't agree with or understand, you "troll" them. Take a break and think about it so you two don't continue to be the pylons at the sides of the road.


Gee...that sounds confrontational....and personal....both. Nothing wrong with keeping the vehicle on the pavement and out of the ditch!! The UB says what it says.....there will always be those who quote the Papers regarding universe reality and the tadpole's life on the Paradise Road. Get use to it!

8)


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:23 am +0000
Posts: 818
Greetings nod,

nodAmanaV wrote:
Why do you insist that you're being challenged when you're not.


Why don't you answer my questions? I think they are very important questions deserving of an answer. Are you still thinking about them? If so, I am waiting to hear your answers.

You are not challenging me, you are obfuscating. You are deflecting, swerving and dodging the point. The topic is about circle making decisions. Do you have anything of value to say about circle making decisions? I would love to hear it if you do.

You brought up the importance of a balance between spiritual nourishment and spiritual exercise. It is a good point. You brought up the need for firsthand personal religious experience, another good point. Why not put together a little explanation of your views on those subject? If you can refrain from car and road metaphors in the process, it would be much appreciated.

Rexford the roadrunner


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted:  
Offline

Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 am +0000
Posts: 1369
Yes, I guess you're right.

Can you believe it? I'm really trying to be nonconfrontational. But it still slipped in. Oops!

I don't know what else to do but say with all sincerity that I know one thing for sure. That if your involved with studying the Urantia Book, you are following Jesus as best you can. Can we agree on that? Why this merry go round keeps going is weird. I wonder if it's the handicap of this social media format. I'm sure of another thing, if you Brad, Rexford, and me were in a room having conversation, it would NOT be like this. This format is fodder for misunderstandings. And I'm doing my best to right the ship as Slyde said, that's all. You Brad and Rexford, as well as everyone has a unique experience. And if there's anything that's the main reason for me being here, it's to move the ball. If I am insulting you I guess it's that knee jerk reaction thing at work. I'm not asking anothing from you, I don't want you to do anything, but I will try harder to be cooperative. Please don't hesitate to let me know when I fail to be what I'm trying to be. And yes, I'm a coward.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Registered users: Google [Bot], nnunn


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group