Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:11 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Unreasoned fear
PostPosted:  

48:7.4 2. Few persons live up to the faith which they really have. Unreasoned fear is a master intellectual fraud practiced upon the evolving mortal soul. Master intellectual fraud practiced by who? By the dark forces currently free to roam the earth? Or is it the body's natural response reaction to electro chemical imbalances / release based on prevailing circumstance?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Unreasoned fear
PostPosted:  

I don't think it is either of those two choices. We are told that fear is a mind poison...unreasoned fear is fear for our daily bread or the loss of material comforts, status, wealth or fear of mortality or the fear of any uncertainties in life and mind, etc. It is a determiner often of motive, intention, priority, and choosing as a substitute for faith and assurance and trust in God. Worry, anxiety, and fear demonstrate a lack of faith in one's position as a beloved Son/Daughter of God. One may have faith...or one may have fear....the two together are quite odd bedfellows indeed...a very conflicted mind could only hold both. Unreasoned fear must be abandoned, sooner or later. Or so I understand it.

Certainly any fears of "dark forces" is misplaced and irrelevant to the believers who trust God....very unreasonable fear indeed! And if one does not believe in God, one should not either believe in "dark forces". I suggest a key word search for "fear", as this is a big topic indeed.

http://www.urantia.org/search/book_search/fear

PostPosted:  

Greetings Panters,

You ask:
Panthers Panthera wrote:
Master intellectual fraud practiced by who?

Practiced by you, or the material self. Fear is a vestige of the animal level mind. It has a real and useful purpose on the material level of existence, which is why the quote specifies "unreasoned fear". Unreasoned fear is another term for anxiety. Anxiety is the natural state of the primitive mind which lacks faith in a friendly universe and a loving God.

Anxiety was a natural state of the savage mind. When men and women fall victims to excessive anxiety, they are simply reverting to the natural estate of their far-distant ancestors - 86:2:1

The purpose of faith is to transcend unreasoned fear and anxiety, to transcend the animal nature. The love of God casts out all fear. We all have faith, given that we all have souls, yet many have difficulty living up to the soul's high standards when faced with fear and anxiety of the unknown. The animal nature, when not mastered, tends to dominate under these circumstances. That is the fraud they are speaking of, allowing the material mind to dominate instead of faith and hope which comes from the spirit within the soul. When faced with the inexplicable we're supposed to have faith, not fear. Fear cheats us of progress, the ability to plow ahead and solve the problems of living the dual life. Love encourages us forward, fear traps us.

Set your mind at work to solve its problems; teach your intellect to work for you; refuse longer to be dominated by fear like an unthinking animal. 130:6:3  

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

(89:1.2) The fear of spirit retribution is so great in the mind of a primitive that he sometimes dies of fright when he has violated a taboo

Now that would be one hell of a way to die!

PostPosted:  

I think the phrase "Unreasoned fear" simply means "the status of fear before it comes under the control of faith/reason by the human mind". True, it is often the cause of anxious-ridden statuses.

Jim Morrison wrote the poem "The Fear" http://hellopoetry.com/poem/73992/the-fear/
Eternal consciousness
in the Void
(makes trial & jail seem almost
friendly)

a Kiss in the Storm

(Madman at the wheel
gun at the neck
space populous & arching
coolly)
A barn
a cabin attic

Your own face
stationary
in the mirrored window
fear of restroom’s
Tragic cold
neon

I’m freezing
animals
dead

white wings of
rabbits

grey velvet deer

The Canyon

The car a craft
in wretched
SPACE

Sudden movements
& your past
to warm you
in Spiritless
Night

The Lonely HWY
Cold hiker
Afraid of Wolves
& his own
Shadow

The Wolf,
who lives under the rock
has invited me
to drink of his cool
Water.
Not to splash or bathe
But leave the sun
& know the dead desert
night
& the cold men
who play there.

a ha
Come on, now
luring the Traveller
Mighty Voyager
Curious, into its dark womb
The graves grinning
Indians of night
The eyes of night
Westward luring
into the brothel, into the blood bath
into the Dream
The dark Dream of conquest
& Voyage
into night, Westward into Night

I would say that such a status of "Unreasoned fear" occurs before any human reaction applies, and that the phrase implies that reason may always be able to conquer fear.

I share this poem because I find that the phrases "Voyage into Night" and "in wretched SPACE" both express the nonsubjective implication of "Unreasoned fear". I would deem this as per our vestigial natures, yet a human thing, rather than "based on impressions" or "conditional".

PostPosted:  

What y'all saying is true and confirms true in various experiences. For example when i have felt worried about various unsettled things in my life or apprehensive then I go into prayer I always feel fully relieved as though there was a burden. This has been so especially after my discovery of U.B due to its complete revelation of GOD and the celestial ministries and it is REAL. REAL in that TUB is written by the same authorities who oversee our progress. To me this has expanded my faith so much that whenever I pray I doubt not all I have to do is wait by faith for the outcome. I have recently been seeing prayers answered and now I have been casting down all the fears i have had before. TUB has helped me to have more faith in case something I pray for delays or so instead of my previous methods of giving up, fearing, drinking to feel better. So much is changing within the short time I discovered this book. Even any accumulated fear will be no more as I will witness more prayers being answered.

PostPosted:  

"Unreasoned fear" it is a good phrase.
"Unadjusted anxiety"

The phrase shows how fear has value if you work with it.
Adjustment from fear to love.

You know on a mind level, this fear is of interest to God. Jesus said "I have come to minister to sinners". Maybe there is a better value in adjusting fears to help man be more functional, than to be confined to heaven you know.

PostPosted:  

One of my favs.....
48:7.21 19. Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come.
Aloha...