Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:57 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holiday Celebrating
PostPosted:  

Redford has deliberated a humble interpretation of Master/Lord according to the Context of Urantia Book. But isn't the context of the word "Master", colloquially, still according to my own estimation? Isn't this something that deigns need be corrected.

For instance, in the Machiavellian context, the Author is the Chief Advisor of the King assigned to the Prince. This advice is coming from the context of 3rd Person. The Prince is like the Son, appreciating all Advicement of the Chief Advisor, whereas the Prince knows the Chief Advisor to be servant unto both King and Prince.

I am still struggling to understand how such Chief Advisor could be equal in status to Prince and to King. This is analogous to failure of comprehension, how the Infinite Spirit is equal to the Eternal Son and the Universal Father. Hear my confession.

Now "King" is that which implies both Master and Father, and I use this word for specific contextual relevence.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

SEla Kelly says above: "You have said there is no reason to fear Michael, but I do still have fear of Michael because he represents the Supreme Being. "FanofVan" states fear is only an animal fear. But there may be psychological fears in addition to fears related to pure matters of survival. In psychology, we have fear of not enough food for the winter. Fear of the uncertainty of status for the morontia being that we is, and although you may say with certainty that you truly long to survive, can you say with assurance, without the race being won, that you have, that is survived eternally? There are psychological fears as well as animal fears, and what of even Jesus/Michael's concern "his one great anxiety is for the well being of his people" And what of Joshua at Gethsemane, Urantia 182:3.7 "painful anxiety concerning the safety of his apostles." Is this not a spiritual type of emotion, which is related to fear? Do these all relate to the mortal estate of animals?"

Yes sir, I can say with assurance and the utmost confidence that Paradise is mine and this tadpole is blessed and loved and guided and very well attended and cared for. I fear nothing about this destiny, including my confusions and uncertainties and my failures. I do not fear for your potential or that of any other being either....but like Jesus, I have some anxieties related to the temporal sufferings of all others. But such concern is not fear but reasonable and is not self directed but other directed due to love.

While fear of God does have its evolutionary and primitive functionality for the religionist and religion in general, every epochal revelation of God has delivered the same message that such fears are unfounded and without merit or value. Fear Not is the message of God's kingdom and believers....as was so eloquently stated and demonstrated by Michael as Jesus. Indeed, the very purpose of Michael's seventh bestowal was to demonstrate his absolute faith in Father and the reality of Father's love for all creatures, high and low....not just to this world but to every celestial and mortal on every world in Nebadon....this was a personal demonstration of the fallacy of Lucifer's declaration that there is no God and the testimonies of God's reality were false as claimed by Lucifer. Jesus proved there is nothing to fear and God's love is universal and absolute. A re-read of Paper 120 is advised. Love is not God....but God is love.

My hope is that all brothers and sisters may abide without fear....especially of Michael, the Supreme, and the Father, Mother, and Son and all creatures created by them. God bless and best wishes.

Brad 8)

PostPosted:  

master - noun
a person with the ability or power to use, control, or dispose of something:
a master of six languages; to be master of one's fate.
an owner of a slave, animal, etc.
an employer of workers or servants.
the male head of a household.
a person eminently skilled in something, as an occupation, art, or science:
the great masters of the Impressionist period.
a person whose teachings others accept or follow:
a Zen master.
Chiefly British. a male teacher or schoolmaster.

Master craftsman, builder, mason...etc., etc.

No....your "estimation" and useage is entirely inaccurate and out of context SEla and requires no correction - only contextual understanding and the application of other, well used and understood definitions of the term. And "king" is also still a primitive term which Jesus sought to correct by the paternal nature of Father.

But we do now discuss the contents of the Papers....thank you for that.

8)

PostPosted:  

fanofVan. I will read UB120 because your words are immensely assuring to my own edification. I still think that in Society, people have some fear over the concept of Master because of the abuse of priveleges from those in temporal authority.

PostPosted:  

Greetings Mr. Kelly,

My name is Rexford Bacon. I apologize for signing off as Redford previously. There is an autocorrect feature that keeps insisting that my name is Redford and sometimes I forget to fix it.

You wrote earlier that you have fear of Michael because he represents the Supreme Being. I think this deserves further evaluation. Perhaps it will come down to who you think Michael and the Supreme Being are, but let me assure you that neither are to be feared. Maybe I can help?

First of all, the Supreme Being doesn’t really exist as of yet; he is evolving as we speak. The Supreme Being is the unifier of experiential divinity and the maximum of Deity a mortal being is capable of comprehending. The evolving Supreme Being provides mortals with the only avenue of approach to the highest levels of perfection attainment. There is truly nothing fearful about that. Personally, I’m eternally grateful for this. Perhaps gratefulness cancels out fear? I don’t think it’s easy to fear something you’re sincerely happy about; you’d have to really work hard at it in a perverted sort of way.

Fear of Michael would be the same as being afraid of Jesus. I know some people fear Jesus because they don't want to make the commitments he asks of them. You don't seem like that sort of person to me. Another useful piece of information is that if you embrace the Spirit of Truth, allow him into your soul, you will be fellowshipping with Michael. Once you get to know him within your soul you find there there is nothing to fear unless you don't like being known intimately and deeply. He is the most loving, caring person in the universe and he can share himself with you, one-on-one, within your soul. It's a beautiful thing and essential to spiritual growth.

The proof, therefore, of your fellowship with the Spirit of Truth is not to be found in your consciousness of this spirit but rather in your experience of enhanced fellowship with Michael. 194:2:4

I have to agree with you that fear serves a purpose. It would be foolish to abandon all fear when dealing with the material world. When Jesus said "fear not", he didn't mean to run through life with reckless abandon. He meant not to fear God, but to trust him, and to learn to trust others as he does.

I disagree with fanofVan that all fear is entirely animal in nature, meaning it’s something that must be overcome with love from a higher mindset. But, much depends on how you define fear. There is such a thing as a healthy fear. I fear being mutilated by inattentive drivers. It keeps me vigilant and careful. It’s useful. If I was completely fearless every time I got into a car, then I’d probably be maimed or dead by now. I fear electrocution, so I’m extraordinarily vigilant when doing electrical work. I fear being fingerless, so I’m extremely safety conscious when using my table saw. Fear can be a good thing. There are some things you should be afraid of; but the goal is to have mastery over fear and use it to gain an advantage on potentially dangerous situations in the material world.

Fear of God, however, is something that must evolve from the animal level. But even this kind of fear has been very useful in the evolution of religion and man’s concept of Deity. It’s not to be taken lightly. Fear of ghosts, the unseen spirit, has been a powerful motivator in the ascent toward the recognition of the true nature of God. It has helped man develop those inner feelings which resonate with truth, beauty and goodness.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Hello Rexford....I agree with your "disagreement".....which is simply more detailed and specific. Certainly fear keeps us on our toes when important to our own or other's safety from real threats to that safety. While an honest person, I am also afraid of the institutional powers of law enforcement, the IRS, etc., as SEla points out above - there are those mortals with power over other mortals who are most unrighteous and unloving in the exercise of that authority....but this is not representative of God or Michael or any created by such divinity and Deity. And I also acknowledged the UB's recitation of how ghost fear promotes religious experience in primitives. And while yet a tadpole, those who truly accept the gospel of a paternal and loving creator Father and acknowledge the resulting fact of the family of all creation, are not so primitive after all. And any fear of God or destiny or even mortality itself is unworthy and dysfunctional or counterproductive I think. So we do not disagree so much here at all I do not think.

8)

PostPosted:  

Greetings fanofVan,

You wrote:
fanofVan wrote:
-there are those mortals with power over other mortals who are most unrighteous and unloving in the exercise of that authority.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about unrighteous people. I'm more concerned about self-righteous people. There's hope that unethical people can be corrected, whereas self-satisfied, moralizing people will never accept correction given that they believe they are on superior ground. There is real danger there worth being concerned about.

I would say that a fear which results in awe and reverence has positive potential. I am in awe of God; I revere him. My fear is in losing him due to my own obstinacy. I think that is a good fear. I don't expect others to have the same fear though.

Chances are we do agree about much when it comes to the Papers, but I'm not sure we agree on politics. I think we're miles apart there, but I could be wrong. No problem.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Friend Rexford....I am sure that your "politics", like my own, are....well, complicated. I certainly follow no party line or platform and try to approach such issues individually but holistically....and with the perspective of the mortal epochal progress to come. I support equal protection under the law for all regardless of age, color, creed, culture, religion, sexual orientations, male/female, etc. I try not to pre-determine another person's worth or intentions based on their agreement or disagreement with me or based on what they look like, come from....or eat for dinner. My politics have changed much over the decades.

The problem with politics is primarily the lack of integrity and transparency of politicians and the impact that the greed of big money donors and the politicians bring to the results....regardless of the promises or intentions, platforms or party. Imagine that day to come when leadership is provided by true servants with wisdom, skill, experience, loyalty, and integrity!! We are to become mostly self governing eventually and inevitably, primarily due to peace and love for one another - maturity and progress over time. Until then, the loss of either greatness or potential troubles me in the face of so many challenges. Evolutionary progress is ugly business....and confounding....at least to me. Simplistic absolutisms that many find so comfortable perplex me just as much....politically or otherwise. I might be called a libertarian I suppose....mutual respect for personal freedom of choice and expression where my rights nor yours infringes upon the other. Like I said...complicated.

I am not bothered by either the unrighteous nor the self righteous....I merely wished to express understanding with SEla that indeed mortal to mortal dangers certainly exist....from criminals to judges to jihadists to the psychopaths (those last two may be redundant!) and also agree with you that not all mortal fears are unworthy or unimportant. Jesus showed great shrewdness in his interactions with authority to avoid entanglements (until he chose to face the end head on and full steam ahead!), and as SEla points out, he rushed to the Roman guard to present himself so as to protect the Apostles from the crisis and calamity they were prepared to unleash to protect Jesus. Jesus was anxious for their "immediate" and mortal safety....not their universe destiny or safety in that universe.

My greatest fear is how I respond to every opportunity to learn better how to be kind, generous, patient, caring, long suffering, joyful, and loving.....no matter the situation or people I encounter. And I find fear and anxiety to be self centered rather than self forgetting....as would be self righteous or indignant too. One of the more perplexing teachings to me, and powerful (and with political inferences too) is the lesson about "false sympathy", or feeling sorry for those who suffer by their own hand and choices resulting from misguided motives, intentions, priorities, and actions. We are to empathize with all victims that are victimized by others and circumstances and events....but not those who are self-victimized.

As a parent and grandparent I do understand that protecting those I love from the consequences of their choices is a delicate and complex business....but the results of those who are overly protected from consequences of choice are being deprived of learning how to choose better....and why. We are given time to learn about cause and effect and how to attain better results by better choices. It is an error to interfere or prevent such an important learning.

If you are confused by my politics then all is well....for I am so confused myself about many things political. A wise one once said - "If you're not confused, you are simply not paying attention!"

Brad 8)

PostPosted:  

I have another take on "fear of the Lord".

160:5.10 I see in the teachings of Jesus, religion at its best. This gospel enables us to seek for the true God and to find him. But are we willing to pay the price of this entrance into the kingdom of heaven? Are we willing to be born again? to be remade? Are we willing to be subject to this terrible and testing process of self-destruction and soul reconstruction? Has not the Master said: “Whoso would save his life must lose it. Think not that I have come to bring peace but rather a soul struggle"? True, after we pay the price of dedication to the Father's will, we do experience great peace provided we continue to walk in these spiritual paths of consecrated living.

I believe that much fear is associated with following Jesus and being born again of the Spirit in that it involves ego death. To lose oneself in the infinite love of the Father and His Son is overpowering to the point of losing one's life. That it is possible for us to disappear as we have made ourselves. Can we go beyond the fear of self-destruction and soul reconstruction? The Master would ask us to follow him. Are we ready for this soul struggle? Fear not!

PostPosted:  

Thanks Manny!!!!!!!!!! A lesson on courage indeed!! :D :D :D :D :D God Bless....Season Greetings....and Best Wishes!!!

100:2.7 (1096.4) Jesus portrayed the profound surety of the God-knowing mortal when he said: “To a God-knowing kingdom believer, what does it matter if all things earthly crash?” Temporal securities are vulnerable, but spiritual sureties are impregnable. When the flood tides of human adversity, selfishness, cruelty, hate, malice, and jealousy beat about the mortal soul, you may rest in the assurance that there is one inner bastion, the citadel of the spirit, which is absolutely unassailable; at least this is true of every human being who has dedicated the keeping of his soul to the indwelling spirit of the eternal God.

100:2.8 (1096.5) After such spiritual attainment, whether secured by gradual growth or specific crisis, there occurs a new orientation of personality as well as the development of a new standard of values. Such spirit-born individuals are so remotivated in life that they can calmly stand by while their fondest ambitions perish and their keenest hopes crash; they positively know that such catastrophes are but the redirecting cataclysms which wreck one’s temporal creations preliminary to the rearing of the more noble and enduring realities of a new and more sublime level of universe attainment.

YippeeYaiOhhTaiYea!!!!!! Fear Not........Embrace Reality......and love one another. 8)

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

What an excellent quote from Manny! Thank you. The way to avoid the fear of self-destruction is to allow the Spirit of Truth into one's psyche. The Spirit of Truth will assist in the transformation begun by the Adjuster, if given the chance. He is the Master of self-mastery, come to teach us all.

In terms of self-destruction, I think what they are referring to is the evolution of dominance. When we are "reborn" we become dual beings. Being reborn simply means entering the 7th psychic circle at which time the soul is born and the Holy Spirit begins to expand and improve the capacity of the psyche to recognize spirit and to unify the influence of the lower mind ministries (adjutants).

The resulting duality (ego-self and soul-self) sets up a tension that must be resolved within our lifetimes. Which self-image do we prefer? Do we favor the spiritualized characteristics of our evolving soul or the material nature of our egos? Such an evolution of dominance does not require the death of the ego. What it requires is a change in preference, one for the other. Those things that intrigued us from our lower nature get put aside in favor of our higher nature (Adjustered-self, soul) which we come to identify with as our own.

We will have this dual nature right up until physical death. It is something we cannot escape. The "terrible and testing process" is a process of selfhood progression, psychic ascension to our highest nature. What makes it terrible, or unpleasant, is that we are often forced to see ourselves as God sees us, warts and all. It is painful to see one's own warts and realize how they have hampered the evolution of the Supreme. No one wants to see themselves as evil (imperfect), but we are forced to look at ourselves and recognize our errors, fix them and move onwards and upwards. That's the way I interpret self-destruction and soul-reconstruction.

Blathering on and on, sorry
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Some text about this dual nature transition from lower/material to higher morontia/spirit:

112:5.4 (1232.5) Human beings possess identity only in the material sense. Such qualities of the self are expressed by the material mind as it functions in the energy system of the intellect. When it is said that man has identity, it is recognized that he is in possession of a mind circuit which has been placed in subordination to the acts and choosing of the will of the human personality. But this is a material and purely temporary manifestation, just as the human embryo is a transient parasitic stage of human life. Human beings, from a cosmic perspective, are born, live, and die in a relative instant of time; they are not enduring. But mortal personality, through its own choosing, possesses the power of transferring its seat of identity from the passing material-intellect system to the higher morontia-soul system which, in association with the Thought Adjuster, is created as a new vehicle for personality manifestation.

112:5.5 (1233.1) And it is this very power of choice, the universe insignia of freewill creaturehood, that constitutes man’s greatest opportunity and his supreme cosmic responsibility. Upon the integrity of the human volition depends the eternal destiny of the future finaliter; upon the sincerity of the mortal free will the divine Adjuster depends for eternal personality; upon the faithfulness of mortal choice the Universal Father depends for the realization of a new ascending son; upon the steadfastness and wisdom of decision-actions the Supreme Being depends for the actuality of experiential evolution.

112:5.6 (1233.2) Though the cosmic circles of personality growth must eventually be attained, if, through no fault of your own, the accidents of time and the handicaps of material existence prevent your mastering these levels on your native planet, if your intentions and desires are of survival value, there are issued the decrees of probation extension. You will be afforded additional time in which to prove yourself.

112:5.7 (1233.3) If ever there is doubt as to the advisability of advancing a human identity to the mansion worlds, the universe governments invariably rule in the personal interests of that individual; they unhesitatingly advance such a soul to the status of a transitional being, while they continue their observations of the emerging morontia intent and spiritual purpose. Thus divine justice is certain of achievement, and divine mercy is accorded further opportunity for extending its ministry.

Me: there's an old Native American story about the two hungry wolves within....the one we feed becomes dominant over the other.

8)

PostPosted:  

Greetings fanofVan,

Thank you for the quotes. There are many more. Here's a good one:

Man’s great universe adventure consists in the transit of his mortal mind from the stability of mechanical statics to the divinity of spiritual dynamics, and he achieves this transformation by the force and constancy of his own personality decisions, in each of life’s situations declaring, “It is my will that your will be done.” 118:1:11

As you can see, it is a psychic transition from static to dynamic. Self-satisfied individuals are content with their own world view (bigotry); they are static. One must learn to view the world from a higher more dynamic plane, through the eyes of a loving father, and become dissatisfied with old the static view. Recall this quote:

Ganid, the man was not hungry for truth. He was not dissatisfied with himself. He was not ready to ask for help, and the eyes of his mind were not open to receive light for the soul. That man was not ripe for the harvest of salvation; he must be allowed more time for the trials and difficulties of life to prepare him for the reception of wisdom and higher learning. 132:7:2

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

144:8.8 “It would appear that the Father in heaven has hidden some of these truths from the wise and haughty, while he has revealed them to babes. But the Father does all things well; the Father reveals himself to the universe by the methods of his own choosing. Come, therefore, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and you shall find rest for your souls. Take upon you the divine yoke, and you will experience the peace of God, which passes all understanding.”

141:3.7 The Master never said, Come to me all you who are indolent and all who are dreamers.” But he did many times say, “Come to me all you who labor, and I will give you rest—spiritual strength.” The Master's yoke is, indeed, easy, but even so, he never imposes it; every individual must take this yoke of his own free will.

PostPosted:  

(103:2.10) Man tends to identify the urge to be self-serving with his ego—himself. In contrast he is inclined to identify the will to be altruistic with some influence outside himself—God. And indeed is such a judgment right, for all such nonself desires do actually have their origin in the leadings of the indwelling Thought Adjuster, and this Adjuster is a fragment of God. The impulse of the spirit Monitor is realized in human consciousness as the urge to be altruistic, fellow-creature minded. At least this is the early and fundamental experience of the child mind. When the growing child fails of personality unification, the altruistic drive may become so overdeveloped as to work serious injury to the welfare of the self. A misguided conscience can become responsible for much conflict, worry, sorrow, and no end of human unhappiness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next