Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:33 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Holiday Celebrating
PostPosted:  

Do you think Jesus drank wine in a casual manner with company, when the occasion permitted?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Holiday Celebrating
PostPosted:  

179:2.2 After the wine and the water had been mixed, they brought the cup to Jesus, who, when he had received it from the hand of Thaddeus, held it while he offered thanks. And when he had finished offering thanks, he said: “Take this cup and divide it among yourselves and, when you partake of it, realize that I shall not again drink with you the fruit of the vine since this is our last supper. When we sit down again in this manner, it will be in the kingdom to come.”

PostPosted:  

And when he had finished offering thanks, he said: “Take this cup and divide it among yourselves ..........
I sometimes think he only used to be a spectator in these occasions because I suspect he had 'pre-knowledge' of the consequences that :-| follow the following morning by use of divine ability. But I really cant say for sure unless he had to if it had to be part of his human experience but again may be those are some of the things he was advised by Emmanuel prior his bestowal. It is complicated somehow to judge on that one. :| :|

PostPosted:  

My question has to do with non-religious consumption of drinking intoxicating beverages, like drinking wine or beer with friends casually at a time of recreation. To be mildly under the influence, in the usual casual way we humans tend to get sometimes when we celebrate with friends and family. There is nothing in the Immanuel bestowal commission which indicates he should not ever be found to be under the influence of intoxicants. God has created the world for humans, and one if its constituents is drug use.

So I plainly ask:

1. Do you think Jesus was ever under the influence of intoxicants?

2. As a part of God's plan, is there a positive purpose for the existence and responsible use of intoxicants?

Maybe I shouldn't ask such questions.

PostPosted:  

Greetings,

I'd say that the Papers very clearly warn us against "knowingly" allowing our minds and bodies to become unbalanced by "pollutants". However, Jesus did attend the wedding at Cana where the party goers drank so much wine that he had to make more. Chances are he also drank wine as part of the celebration, but probably not enough to qualify as being intoxicated. I can't see him drinking to "knowingly" get drunk, or "polluted". That would be totally out of character for him, being the Master of himself as well as the universe.

The Adjuster remains with you in all disaster and through every sickness which does not wholly destroy the mentality. But how unkind knowingly to defile or otherwise deliberately to pollute the physical body, which must serve as the earthly tabernacle of this marvelous gift from God. All physical poisons greatly retard the efforts of the Adjuster to exalt the material mind, while the mental poisons of fear, anger, envy, jealousy, suspicion, and intolerance likewise tremendously interfere with the spiritual progress of the evolving soul. 110:1:5

In Friendship,
Redford

PostPosted:  

Thanks Rexford. It's real good to have you back participating in this forum. It's not the same without you!

PostPosted:  

Thanks nod,

I just needed time to come off my high dudgeon and the appearance of a topic for which I had something to offer. Wishing you happiness.

Rex

PostPosted:  

Yes, I think Jesus had a glass of wine (or two) during social occasions. But I also think he knew his limits and never had too much to interfere with his communion with Father. As in everything else, he found the right balance between the social norms and his duty to and love for God.

PostPosted:  

It is traditional in the area, and the time especially, to dilute wine with 4-9 parts water per measure of wine....modern Europeans still do so for their children and their own day long beverage of choice. The mix was often mildly or heavily spiced and herbed....lots of bad or bad tasting water is one reason. So, the drinking of wine was not always a method of inebriation but that was not uncommon either. But Jesus drinking wine seems appropriate....as does keeping his wits about him.

Welcome back Rexford....I'm sure there's a way to open and discuss any topic you wish to....so long as it is textual based, not fear or hate based (not your problem), and is not political on a national or current event level where reasonable people hold prejudices dear. But discussing issues relative to our planetary epochal struggles is always of interest to me too. We progress....what hinders that and what supports that and what might those lead to over time? The personal, local, and recent biases/prejudices/bigotry displayed by some miss the opportunity to consider what the UB might offer for us to consider.

IMO, bigotry of any form should not be allowed or perpetuated here....but for some, it is how they view the world. They'll outgrow that immaturity...... eventually. It might be more productive to consider what should be supported and promoted rather than what should be opposed or feared or hated? The topics were not closed due to your posts or perspective and much was posted by some that was shallow and narrow and of little value I think. Start something up....I look forward to it.

Your Friend,

Brad 8)

PostPosted:  

big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries

intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

fanofVan wrote:
IMO, bigotry of any form should not be allowed or perpetuated here....

PostPosted:  

Alcohol with meals was thought to help digestion. In actuality, it helped reduce the bacterial load of food that could make one sick. We may forget that without refrigeration, food spoiled quickly. We know know that even the spread of viruses can be better controlled if a little EtOH is added to the meal. But again, the winning card is balance, the Goldie Locks analogy, not drunk as a skunk. O:)

PostPosted:  

Here I go asking again!

What about cannabis? Do you think he might of had a toot with his fellow caravan mates in the desert?

The Papers tell us his human experience was replete.

Last edited by nodAmanaV on Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:49 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun

fanofVan wrote:

Well nod, it seems you have just shut down the forum. Using that definition of "bigotry" and Brad's suggestion, there can only be declarations without discussion or debate. :shock:

PostPosted:  

MannyC wrote:
nodAmanaV wrote:
big·ot·ry
ˈbiɡətrē/
noun

fanofVan wrote:

Well nod, it seems you have just shut down the forum. Using that definition of "bigotry" and Brad's suggestion, there can only be declarations without discussion or debate. :shock:
Think circular simultaneity!

PostPosted:  

nodAmanaV wrote:
Here I go asking again!

What about cannabis? Do you think he might of had a toot with his fellow caravan mates in the desert?

The Papers tell us his human experience was replete.

Jesus refused narcotics offered while on the cross. I doubt, he would have been inclined to using mind altering drugs in daily living. He was on High with God. If I was suffering on the cross, I think that I would have asked (begged) for a Dilaudid, Morphine Sulfate, Oxycontin and scotch cocktail!