Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Last question I'll post for awhile. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there used to be a group of believers in the Urantia Book that believed that they could channel celestial beings. Anyone know what ever happened to them?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

No idea, but hopefully they came to their senses and stopped that nonsense. :-s

PostPosted:  

They are still around. However, discussing them is against the forum guidelines given the contentious nature of the issue. FWIW I hope their numbers diminish. And that is all I will say. Forgive my transgression.

PostPosted:  

Use the Force, Luke Skywalker!

PostPosted:  

There have been one or more such groups for over 40 years within the community and such ones have been with us since the first fire in the first cave....so, nothing new about the phenomena.

Interesting you should say: " A long time ago in a galaxy far far away there used to be a group of believers in the Urantia Book that believed that they could channel celestial beings."

Interesting as it goes to another topic you started about lost faith and disbelief.....how can one "believe" a book that discredits their practice as delusional priesthood? Fascinating. Do those who claim to speak to and for celestials actually "believe" that which contradicts them?... as the UB certainly, clearly, and redundantly does so! Or do they believe those parts they choose to and ignore those parts they also choose to which they disagree with?

One may believe in conjuring, oracling, or "channeling" spirits and celestials to others or they may believe the UB....but, truly, they may not do both. Self contradictory on its premise.

It is unimportant to me or any serious student who else or whether any other "believes" the UB or any portion of it or the claims of its authors and authority for itself. Belief is of little value compared to faith....which is those beliefs that are actually lived and come to be either truth or falsehood. Faith may be misguided as well as belief....it is only by its fruits that one may measure the validity and value of our faith.

8)

PostPosted:  

Quote:
91:1.3 (995.2) But the primitive mind was neither logical nor consistent. Early men did not perceive that material things were not the province of prayer. These simple-minded souls reasoned that food, shelter, rain, game, and other material goods enhanced the social welfare, and therefore they began to pray for these physical blessings. While this constituted a perversion of prayer, it encouraged the effort to realize these material objectives by social and ethical actions. Such a prostitution of prayer, while debasing the spiritual values of a people, nevertheless directly elevated their economic, social, and ethical mores.

It's only all to easy too fall back on earlier habits... i.e.:

The ability to conceive in consistent and rational terms = (the motivation and will to do so * the mind's natural ability) - preexisting mental momentum

PostPosted:  

In worship and in wisdom do human minds have the ability to directly interact with celestial personalities. These are the two cosmic mind adjutant spirits which prepare our morontia-egos for interassociation with angels. I believe that on a usual basis, human minds are too physically oriented to recognise the interactions that we have with the divine.

It is written that our vision will be altered according to the advancement of our own beings, such that eventually interaction with divine beings will be commonplace. If a person has reached the status of light and life within his own mortal tabernacle, then why should any Urantia Book reader deny that he may convers with immortals?

It is because the Urantia Book was mandated but once in our history and it therefore seems preposterous that according to the will of God new teachers should arise. However, in accordance with wisdom and the circumstances of our planetary and evolutionary advancement, new teachers may certainly arise to enumerate and describe any changes that humanity may have in relationship to God, as well as the earth's relationship within the grand universe.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

SEla_Kelly, those are your opinions. Although you've used some Urantia Book terminology, they are simply New Age wishful thinking opinions and are not supported by the teachings of The Urantia Book. Channeling is a psychic activity -- an activity of the lower mind. Although the messages dredged up often seem to be spiritual in nature psychic activity is ego driven, not spiritual. Channelers tend to gravitate toward becoming prophets -- their prophecies come to pass no more frequently than chance dictates -- they have no special connection to "the spirit world" and divine beings do not speak through or to them. We don't encourage channelers or prophets or New Age metaphysics, therefore we do not discuss channelers, their messages, their methods; this is not a wishful thinking forum. Please read the posting guidelines.

Larry

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
SEla_Kelly, those are your opinions. Although you've used some Urantia Book terminology, they are simply New Age wishful thinking opinions and are not supported by the teachings of The Urantia Book. Channeling is a psychic activity -- an activity of the lower mind. Although the messages dredged up often seem to be spiritual in nature psychic activity is ego driven, not spiritual. Channelers tend to gravitate toward becoming prophets -- their prophecies come to pass no more frequently than chance dictates -- they have no special connection to "the spirit world" and divine beings do not speak through or to them. We don't encourage channelers or prophets or New Age metaphysics, therefore we do not discuss channelers, their messages, their methods; this is not a wishful thinking forum. Please read the posting guidelines.

Larry

Larry, what you say here could also be assessed as your opinion, can you provide Urantia Book narration to support your statements, outside of your role as sergeant at arms? You have mentioned in previous postings that you were trained in channeling thereby it can be assumed that you concider yourself an expert on this subject yet if my understanding from what you have previously mentioned, if you are or were a channeler, then can we take your words as truth, from experience? Just wondering because it appears that you most often are the one who actually brings up the subject of "channeling", why is that? Are, you attempting to say that communication with our Father is not possible and that the UB is presenting a lie or mistruth? I am puzzled by your intervention here, which seems to be more personal than managing forum rules, can you explain further?

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Caligastia,
This isn't about arguing with me or discussing my training or knowledge. It's about posting guidelines on this discussion board. If you wish to hang onto the old and worn out assumptions that your human mind can tap into the spirit world and that spirits talk to you that's fine -- those opinions can't be promoted here, are total unacceptable, they are in opposition to the teachings of TUB. This isn't an arguable point; don't press it or your account will be suspended.

Larry

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Hello Caligastia,
This isn't about arguing with me or discussing my training or knowledge. It's about posting guidelines on this discussion board. If you wish to hang onto the old and worn out assumptions that your human mind can tap into the spirit world and that spirits talk to you that's fine -- those opinions can't be promoted here, are total unacceptable, they are in opposition to the teachings of TUB. This isn't an arguable point; don't press it or your account will be suspended.

Larry

Who is arguing here, I'm mearly asking a question as to understand what is ment by your definition of the teachings of TUB? Also by what TUB teaching do you accuse me by saying "if you wish to hang onto the old and worn out assumptions that your human mind can tap into the spirit world", that's why I asked those questions to you. This is not the teachings held in TUB, they seem to come from you alone, or am I mistaken.
I have in the past attempted to discuss this with you off line and you insulted me by publicaly saying that my PM post was not werthy of your attention. Then I Emailed Truthbook, and then called them on the phone and got an answering service who assured me that I would be contacted, stll waiting for a responce. When this site cellisets funds from the public there would seem to be some form of responcible conduct expected but it would seem that is is not the case?
I'm sorry that you think that I am arguing with you but since when does a question deserve sure a responce? In actuality my contribution should require a rational non-egotistical responce.
I guess it's time to make another phone call to a vertual organization that does not exist except for collecting funds?
Shame on you for going against TUB teaching!

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Hello Caligastia,

Larry

I agree and thank you, Larry, for upholding the integrity of this forum.

PostPosted:  

As the original poster I thank all of you for your responses. I consider this thread closed, and hope to continue learning from all of you in the future.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Caligastia's refusal to follow forum guidelines has resulted in his account being permanently blocked. We believe that he may have been using the name Caligastia after having been blocked using another member name. He will – in all probability – go onto some other website to badmouth Truthbook.

Admin

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Channelers

Larry

Firstly, I mourn the loss of Caligastia from this group, as I have found his views to be expressive of legitimate discussion.

Secondly, I only meant "conversation" and not Channeling/Channelers, as Larry Watkins has inferred. I apologise if my language was too strong in my first post. I recognise that this forum is for discussion and not for updates or impersonations. It is my intention to abide in the guidelines of the group. You are correct to state that I was voicing an opinion, that people often converse with seraphim and cherubim.