Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:01 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
Greetings nod,

nodAmanaV wrote:
Rex, what has happened to make you so gloomy?

In friendship,
nodAmanaV

This forum. I think it might be time for me to take a break. I always get my arse in the air when free speech is slammed. It's just one of my personality quirks. I'll get over it in a while, after I spit and fume like a camel, smoke some cigars and swill some scotch. Nothing peeves me more than dystopia-like situations.

Rex

Rex, do you mean to imply that free speech has been "slammed" on this forum? I am confused since the freedom of speech has to do with the the right of people to express their opinions publicly without governmental interference. Freedom of speech does NOT mean that no one else is allowed to disagree with someone's opinion.

Has there been governmental interference with someone's posts on the forum? I must have missed it, which is concerning since you believe it has reached "dystopia-like" proportions, and you carry a lot of credibility with me. Your posts are some of the wisest insights I have seen on this forum.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Greetings Agon,

Government is defined as the control or regulation of a nation, organization, or group of people. This forum is an organization. It has a government, and here are rules that must be followed. I just don't always agree with government. I like it when people feel free to say what is on their minds; I like it when people are unafraid of reprisals for having different ideas. It's a pet peeve, surely you get that? Now let me go spit and fume . . . where's my lighter?

Rex

PostPosted:  

Well, Rex, I have seen plenty of differing ideas being discussed on the forum of late. I have not seen anyone's freedom infringed upon except, as you point out, when the rules of the forum are broken. By registering here, we agree to follow the rules, so our rights are not being infringed upon, even by the forum "government" as you choose to describe it.

Being free of "reprisals" is not a right of anyone. We can express our opinions, but we must accept the consequences that others may disagree with us and post their differing perspective in contrast to our own. That's what makes discussion forums interesting and educational, after all. O:)

PostPosted:  

Rex, here's one for me, one for you.

PostPosted:  

I think TruthBook is more of a community than an organization....it is an ever changing group dynamic based on the topics posted and those who discuss and debate their respective perspectives on many different issues. The Moderators are not charged with driving topics or issues or discussions....the community is self governing.....until we're not...then the cat herder attends to move us away from the precipice of turmoil and topics which are off limits....always have been and for good reasons too.

When to moderate, deflect, or lock a topic is an awesome responsibility to maintain such a community and keep it alive year after year. Governance is best when focused on the greater good for the greater number which means individuals must conform to such an ideal. I've received my share of rebuke, admonishment, and patience here....well done IMO.

As to the topic...defining and remedying the woes of today. We are taught that as go the parts so goes the whole which means, to me, that ideals cannot be achieved by any form of force or coercion but only by more individuals responding to the spirit and becoming dedicated in word and deed to the sharing of love in care of others....more and more people. Those in charge of our world have much experience in this evolutionary process and redundantly list the hurdles and obstacles of human/animal nature which cause all of the ills of humanity. But the collective expression of truth, beauty, and goodness is something which has its own timetable whereas the individual has only to choose such change for themselves for transformation that happens or can happen much faster than social transformations can.

The individual believer may achieve Light and Life in one brief life. Not so the world....thousands of generations gradually bring progress to march through the mortal epochs. The impatience of the individual regarding the slow epochal progress of all others is part of our challenge...we are to be happy, even joyful, in our personal relationship with Father....even while surrounded by trouble and turmoil and suffering...our own and that of all others. It is only by the fruit of the spirit that others may be inspired, nurtured, and served which means, to me, that we are part of the problem when we feel and give voice to fear and anger, doubt and despair, and anguish. There is no light and no help for any problems when it is a mind in the grip of mind poisons that seeks to identify the ills or offer solutions.

Jesus lived in very troubled times and was victimized by all manner of "ills" of the world...and yet he lived in happiness, graciousness, tenderness, kindness, and love. He lived the remedy and showed us all how to do so. Fear not. See the good in the world and in others.

PostPosted:  

Thanks again Manny for the topic!!

Urantia is a very unique world we are told. One of the realities of our unique history is how our world has not yet emerged from any single mortal epoch and yet finds progress made in several of them - it is found to be culturally and nationally specific in many ways yet. A reading of Paper 52 reveals all the many steps of progress required and illustrates that parts of humanity have made great strides forward in some areas and much less in others...meaning Urantia exists in multiple levels of epochal progression at the same time in different places.

This makes the list of ills and woes considerably different for the parts compared to the whole....still. But the solutions or remedies are identical I think regardless of the difficulty....it lies within the each. The more humanity responds to the Spirit of the Father, Mother, and Son, the more progress the faster. We may assist in planetary progress best I think if we see that progress already achieved and understand the transformations yet to come to better identify that which is worthy of support by us....and, perhaps, worry less about what to oppose.

I am thankful for all of you and this community and that which we share here together. Blessings to all as we give thanks for all our many blessings....and remember to pray for our world and all who live upon it. Peace.

Brad

PostPosted:  

I must agree with Larry. This forum is a private organization, and as such, has every right to monitor its content. We are perfectly free to go elsewhere.

I understand Rexford and I believe that it is a wise thing to step out occasionally and take a break to refresh our batteries. I did just that in September. I often take breaks from the news as well.

fanofVan wrote:
Thanks again Manny for the topic!!

You are most welcome, Brad. Believe me when I tell you, that even though I liken my tactics (or tactlessness) to that of John the Baptist, my face slaps to you and others here are done with a loving, velvet glove. Please do not take it negatively. I am hoping that all of you can show me your other cheek, so that I can kiss that one. (don't get any ideas O:) )

Peace Brothers

PS The kiss will not be one of betrayal, I assure you.

PostPosted:  

I answer the title question of this thread with a resounding YES.

However, I was very sorry to have discovered that the discussion of ANY TOPIC which one might find highly personally relevant and salutary for today's world is strictly prohibited and banned in this particular forum. Therefore I am strongly inclined to believe that the Urantia Book itself, both in its essence and its quintessence, is banned by this forum. That is why so very folks ever post anything here on a somewhat regular basis. You will notice the forum is empty and inactive MOST OF THE TIME. Nobody enjoys being brow-beaten, crinimalized, and mercilessly hated for pouring all the sincerity of their hearts out, in a spirit of earnestness and benevolent concern. Why should anyone care to express the deepest concerns of their hearts only to be beaten down by godless power-crazed bullies?

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Raymond Benjamins, posting guidelines and administrator monitoring aren't implemented here as points for contention among disgruntled members. As often occurs, posters who run out of positive things to contribute become argumentative with other members or with the admin tasked to keep things on track, meaningful and positive.

For example, there's a reason for posting guideline #19. Do not discuss or complain on the public Forum decisions of the owner, administrators, or moderators.

Disgruntled members are frequently given a cooling off period after which they're welcome to come back -- sometimes they do, sometimes not. Raymond's time out will last until the first of the year.

Admin

PostPosted:  

Ray,

While you're standing in the corner (he's used to this) I'll let you have a bite of my peanut butter sandwich at lunch. Okay?

PostPosted:  

Paper 52 brings forth much to consider related to the topic, including the process of social evolution and how both time and patience work together to transform a world from the cave to L&L....and all the steps in between. This process is not in the hands of people but certainly spiritized people help in that process....over many generations. The Prince's epoch is around 500,000 years and the Adamic adds even more time to progression, and the Son's visit dispensation is 10,000-100,000 years....and Urantia enjoys certain epochal progress of 4 different epochs at once right now. It is amazing, given our history, that Urantia has progressed so much so quickly by the work of the Most Highs and all their forces for upliftment and progress. We still have so much to achieve and a recipe for what is to come and what we might do to support our destiny while here such a brief moment of planetary epochal time.

6. Urantia’s Post-Bestowal Age

52:6.1 (597.2) The bestowal Son is the Prince of Peace. He arrives with the message, “Peace on earth and good will among men.” On normal worlds this is a dispensation of world-wide peace; the nations no more learn war. But such salutary influences did not attend the coming of your bestowal Son, Christ Michael. Urantia is not proceeding in the normal order. Your world is out of step in the planetary procession. Your Master, when on earth, warned his disciples that his advent would not bring the usual reign of peace on Urantia. He distinctly told them that there would be “wars and rumors of wars,” and that nation would rise against nation. At another time he said, “Think not that I have come to bring peace upon earth.”

52:6.2 (597.3) Even on normal evolutionary worlds the realization of the world-wide brotherhood of man is not an easy accomplishment. On a confused and disordered planet like Urantia such an achievement requires a much longer time and necessitates far greater effort. Unaided social evolution can hardly achieve such happy results on a spiritually isolated sphere. Religious revelation is essential to the realization of brotherhood on Urantia. While Jesus has shown the way to the immediate attainment of spiritual brotherhood, the realization of social brotherhood on your world depends much on the achievement of the following personal transformations and planetary adjustments:

52:6.3 (597.4) 1. Social fraternity. Multiplication of international and interracial social contacts and fraternal associations through travel, commerce, and competitive play. Development of a common language and the multiplication of multilinguists. The racial and national interchange of students, teachers, industrialists, and religious philosophers.

52:6.4 (597.5) 2. Intellectual cross-fertilization. Brotherhood is impossible on a world whose inhabitants are so primitive that they fail to recognize the folly of unmitigated selfishness. There must occur an exchange of national and racial literature. Each race must become familiar with the thought of all races; each nation must know the feelings of all nations. Ignorance breeds suspicion, and suspicion is incompatible with the essential attitude of sympathy and love.

52:6.5 (597.6) 3. Ethical awakening. Only ethical consciousness can unmask the immorality of human intolerance and the sinfulness of fratricidal strife. Only a moral conscience can condemn the evils of national envy and racial jealousy. Only moral beings will ever seek for that spiritual insight which is essential to living the golden rule.

52:6.6 (598.1) 4. Political wisdom. Emotional maturity is essential to self-control. Only emotional maturity will insure the substitution of international techniques of civilized adjudication for the barbarous arbitrament of war. Wise statesmen will sometime work for the welfare of humanity even while they strive to promote the interest of their national or racial groups. Selfish political sagacity is ultimately suicidal — destructive of all those enduring qualities which insure planetary group survival.

52:6.7 (598.2) 5. Spiritual insight. The brotherhood of man is, after all, predicated on the recognition of the fatherhood of God. The quickest way to realize the brotherhood of man on Urantia is to effect the spiritual transformation of present-day humanity. The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man.

52:6.8 (598.3) If you could be transplanted from your backward and confused world to some normal planet now in the postbestowal Son age, you would think you had been translated to the heaven of your traditions. You would hardly believe that you were observing the normal evolutionary workings of a mortal sphere of human habitation. These worlds are in the spiritual circuits of their realm, and they enjoy all the advantages of the universe broadcasts and the reflectivity services of the superuniverse.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Paper 52 brings forth much to consider related to the topic, including the process of social evolution and how both time and patience work together to transform a world from the cave to L&L....and all the steps in between. This process is not in the hands of people but certainly spiritized people help in that process....over many generations. The Prince's epoch is around 500,000 years and the Adamic adds even more time to progression, and the Son's visit dispensation is 10,000-100,000 years....and Urantia enjoys certain epochal progress of 4 different epochs at once right now. It is amazing, given our history, that Urantia has progressed so much so quickly by the work of the Most Highs and all their forces for upliftment and progress. We still have so much to achieve and a recipe for what is to come and what we might do to support our destiny while here such a brief moment of planetary epochal time.

This is straight from the Spirits within you, Brad. How did you know that this is what I needed to here at this moment? O:)

PostPosted:  

To Ray and to who ever it may concern ,

Albeit new members or old

Some unasked for advice ,
words of wisdom I Got from the former admin many years
ago , Sister Paula , was wise words of wisdom ,
which is ...

ITs NOT Always What you say , But How you say IT !

And the present Admin , Bro Larry etc
seems imo to feel the same way , IMO
and over the years have found him to be fair an honest
and a great referee .

My Opinion ,
For what its worth ,

Think about IT Tho. :wink:

PostPosted:  

coop wrote:
ITs NOT Always What you say , But How you say IT !

Very true, coop. It is always better to say things in an indirect manner. Directness has a sharp point. It is better to be sneaky and round about. Wordiness is a great technique to employ. Slay the dragon with a soft, soothing voice so it does not even realize it is about to die.

A word to the wise.

PostPosted:  

I Hear yah Brother MannyC 8)

''
Very true, coop. It is always better to say things in an indirect manner. Directness has a sharp point. It is better to be sneaky and round about. Wordiness is a great technique to employ. Slay the dragon with a soft, soothing voice so it does not even realize it is about to die.''

NO The truth will set you free !

And im sure you know what i meant , Btw i love your sarcasim Humor
and insights etc.

IMO Its better to be honest n truthful ,

yet Sometimes its better to hold your tounge an be silent than to
to say or do something that is hurtful to another .

Anger is ...

And Opinions are like ...

Last edited by coop on Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:55 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.