Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:24 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Put to the test
PostPosted:  

Hi Steve,
Please consider the Master's advise.

49:4.3 On this same occasion the Master talked to the group about the desirability of possessing well-balanced characters. He recognized that it was necessary for most men to devote themselves to the mastery of some vocation, but he deplored all tendency toward overspecialization, toward becoming narrow-minded and circumscribed in life's activities. He called attention to the fact that any virtue, if carried to extremes, may become a vice. Jesus always preached temperance and taught consistency—proportionate adjustment of life problems. He pointed out that overmuch sympathy and pity may degenerate into serious emotional instability; that enthusiasm may drive on into fanaticism. He discussed one of their former associates whose imagination had led him off into visionary and impractical undertakings. At the same time he warned them against the dangers of the dullness of overconservative mediocrity.

155:1.4 “In all that you do, become not one-sided and overspecialized. The Pharisees who seek our destruction verily think they are doing God's service. They have become so narrowed by tradition that they are blinded by prejudice and hardened by fear. Consider the Greeks, who have a science without religion, while the Jews have a religion without science. And when men become thus misled into accepting a narrow and confused disintegration of truth, their only hope of salvation is to become truth-co-ordinated—converted.

Peace

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Interesting comment Louis. Thanks for the head's up. I don't ever remember reading that. I can't imagine though, ever falling into over-specialization. Right now I'm actively multi-tasking in pursuits in Historical Linguistics, Many sub-fields in Physics, Human Genetics, Anthropology, Music Composition, Music Performance, Computer Science, Leadership Training, Cabinet Making and Carpentry, House Painting, Car Maintenance and Social Events. We just might have it covered. :)

PostPosted:  

Hi Steve,
Then perhaps the tale of Goldie Locks and the three bears has a better moral. Not too much, not too, little, but just right.

Are you Swedish? Looks like quite a smorgasbord of activity. I have a full plate with eating, drinking and being merry. :smile:

Careful with having too many balls in the air. Very stressful.

Peace and good luck.

PostPosted:  

48:6.37 (555.5) You will learn that you increase your burdens and decrease the likelihood of success by taking yourself too seriously. Nothing can take precedence over the work of your status sphere — this world or the next. Very important is the work of preparation for the next higher sphere, but nothing equals the importance of the work of the world in which you are actually living. But though the work is important, the self is not. When you feel important, you lose energy to the wear and tear of ego dignity so that there is little energy left to do the work. Self-importance, not work-importance, exhausts immature creatures; it is the self element that exhausts, not the effort to achieve. You can do important work if you do not become self-important; you can do several things as easily as one if you leave yourself out. Variety is restful; monotony is what wears and exhausts. Day after day is alike — just life or the alternative of death.

:wink: :!: 8)

PostPosted:  

Hi Louis,

You're right that balance and moderation is normally the right approach for living. Maybe you know that that's sort of a code for living in Sweden.

For me, multi-tasking is pretty natural. Not stressful at all so long as there are no pressing time constraints. I find it is a good way of releaving monotony as fanofVan has pointed out. But I would like to eventually spend more time on preparing food and selecting and drinking fine beverages. I envy you there. :)

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
48:6.37 (555.5) Day after day is alike — just life or the alternative of death.

Well, that's got to be the cheeriest phrase the revelators have ever written. :) Especially to end a paragraph. I imagine it came from a human author.

PostPosted:  

Hi Steve,
I'm sure that you will find your own answers to any problems you might have. But you have asked for a little help from your friends. And here we are. I am also sure that you can juggle your activities well, but make sure that you are not trying to cram an eternity of experiences in this short life in the flesh. In the era of Light and Life, life becomes simpler and happier.

55:5.6 The provisions for competitive play, humor, and other phases of personal and group achievement are ample and appropriate. A special feature of the competitive activities on such a highly cultured world concerns the efforts of individuals and groups to excel in the sciences and philosophies of cosmology. Literature and oratory flourish, and language is so improved as to be symbolic of concepts as well as to be expressive of ideas. Life is refreshingly simple; man has at last co-ordinated a high state of mechanical development with an inspiring intellectual attainment and has overshadowed both with an exquisite spiritual achievement. The pursuit of happiness is an experience of joy and satisfaction.

I assume you are in your prime in youth and vigor, but avoid being jack of all trades and master of none. Master your contact with your TA. This takes a great deal of time. This is what the gift of time is for. O:)

Your friend, Louis

PostPosted:  

55:5.6 is a great quote Louis. Just the kind of inspiration and invitation to start maybe a very slight semi-hybernation during the cold, dark, damp months of winter in the far North... Time to catch up on sleep and indulge in deep, intense dreams maybe. Thanks, Steve