Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:27 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I was reviewing some of the Universal Father papers this morning and ran across this paragraph (emphasis mine):

Quote:
5:6.6 (71.1) Capacity for divine personality is inherent in the prepersonal Adjuster; capacity for human personality is potential in the cosmic-mind endowment of the human being. But the experiential personality of mortal man is not observable as an active and functional reality until after the material life vehicle of the mortal creature has been touched by the liberating divinity of the Universal Father, being thus launched upon the seas of experience as a self-conscious and a (relatively) self-determinative and self-creative personality. The material self is truly and unqualifiedly personal.
They make these distinctions of personality:

1. Divine personality - the prepersonal Adjuster
2. Human personality - as operating in our life vessels
3. Experiential personality of mortal man.

Are #2 and #3 the same?

They also go on and seem to say that #3 is not observed as an "active and functional reality" until the bestowal of the Thought Adjuster? Or am I reading that wrong? What exactly is the "liberating divinity of the Universal Father"?

If they are talking about the bestowal of the Thought Adjuster, and #2 and #3 are the same thing, wouldn't that imply that "inactive or potential" human personality exists prior to Adjuster indwellment? I say this because we are told in the Foreward that reality is comprised of both potentials and actuals. And they are only talking about observing its function, not whether or not it exists..

This would support the idea that potential human personality is bestowed the moment that the potential for the life vehicle becomes manifest, no?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

quil,

You asked what the "liberating divinity of the Universal Father" is. Wouldn't that be the gift of free will? And, of course, free will is accompanied by self-consciousness, otherwise volition would be merely mechanical.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Rexford,

Interesting, I wouldn't have read it like that. But I find an interesting take.

When I read it as "free will", in my mind it's almost synonymous with and loops right back around to "personality" (since somehow I've come to the conclusion personality is the source of free will).

I guess I will ponder it some more.

Thanks,
- quil

PostPosted:  

quil,

Yes, I think you're right, it does loop right back. I think what they are saying is that contact of the developing human genome (physical pattern) by the cosmic mind is sufficient to produce a living being. This living being exists prior to the gift of personality (free will/self-consciousness). In Paper 42 we are told that mind endowment is always competent to produce a suitable body for identity. But personality is not automatically manifested even though a suitable and serviceable body is created. I believe the quote in question is simply referring to the fact that personality is not dependent upon mind energy or physical energy phenomena. It is completely separate and determined solely by the Universal Father. I don't believe the Papers ever mention exactly when this gift of personality actually occurs. However, they do seem to drop hints. I think they knew that it would become an ethical question that mankind would have to solve on its own.

In Friendship,
Rexford