Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:03 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
Manny C,

We are told that we cannot find God by searching, but only by submitting to the leading of the Adjuster. (Paper 2 Section 5). So if one has found God, by definition one must have been doing God's will, submitting. So finding and choosing seems to be an eternal positive feedback loop. No doubt it is possible to wake up one morning and decide to put a stop to it. I'm sure it happens, but then you're looking at potential iniquity and annihilation.

Incidentally, God the Father, the First Source and Center, is not our Creator. Creator Sons create creatures, which is why they are so intimately involved with them, and why they are perfect revelations of the Father to them.

In Friendship,
Rexford

Yes, it does say that, but in context, they are speaking of finding the presence of the Paradise personality of the Universal Father. God can be experienced by faith. One can find God through faith, long before reaching Paradise to stand in His presence.

And while the Creator Son is our immediate father/brother, our personhood is a bestowed of the Father in Paradise. While it is true that who sees the Son sees the Father, it is not true that those that hear the Son hears the Father. The Father personally present on Paradise is Father to all. This is likened to being our Grandfather. Therefore, Jesus taught the prayer, Our Father.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

MannyC wrote:
Rexford wrote:
Manny C,

We are told that we cannot find God by searching, but only by submitting to the leading of the Adjuster. (Paper 2 Section 5). So if one has found God, by definition one must have been doing God's will, submitting. So finding and choosing seems to be an eternal positive feedback loop. No doubt it is possible to wake up one morning and decide to put a stop to it. I'm sure it happens, but then you're looking at potential iniquity and annihilation.

Incidentally, God the Father, the First Source and Center, is not our Creator. Creator Sons create creatures, which is why they are so intimately involved with them, and why they are perfect revelations of the Father to them.

In Friendship,
Rexford

Yes, it does say that, but in context, they are speaking of finding the presence of the Paradise personality of the Universal Father. God can be experienced by faith. One can find God through faith, long before reaching Paradise to stand in His presence.

And while the Creator Son is our immediate father/brother, our personhood is a bestowed of the Father in Paradise. While it is true that who sees the Son sees the Father, it is not true that those that hear the Son hears the Father. The Father personally present on Paradise is Father to all. This is likened to being our Grandfather. Therefore, Jesus taught the prayer, Our Father.

The Lord's Prayer, commonly called by Catholics the "Our Father", was actually a prayer commonly in use by Jews at the time that Jesus used it. The exact words were variable, but similar prayers are STILL used by Jews today.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Yaakov -- your replies and responses are acceptable so long as they are do not take a personal derogatory tone -- it is unacceptable to use personal inflammatory language; that's called flaming. Before you post, reread what you've written to see if that post had been sent to you instead of by you, if you'd be comfortable with its language. I'm thinking perhaps your mother didn't teach you well about personal interactions and this is a difficult place to learn such a lesson... a lesson from Jesus that anyone can benefit from and that only Jesus taught is when someone wrongs you, the godly thing to do is to turn the other cheek. You've been warned about your attitude before; cowboy up.

Larry

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Yaakov -- your replies and responses are acceptable so long as they are do not take a personal derogatory tone -- it is unacceptable to use personal inflammatory language; that's called flaming. Before you post, reread what you've written to see if that post had been sent to you instead of by you, if you'd be comfortable with its language. I'm thinking perhaps your mother didn't teach you well about personal interactions and this is a difficult place to learn such a lesson... a lesson from Jesus that anyone can benefit from and that only Jesus taught is when someone wrongs you, the godly thing to do is to turn the other cheek. You've been warned about your attitude before; cowboy up.

Larry

Larry, I'm happy to do so if you stop the anti-Semite from his behaviour as well. I don't take too well to being attacked on account of being a Jew. Have you read the entire thread?

PostPosted:  

Yaakov001,

Could you please explain to me why God wants you to wear three layers of clothing in 95º heat? How does that make you more righteous? Or doesn't it? What's the purpose. I don't follow.

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
Yaakov001,

Could you please explain to me why God wants you to wear three layers of clothing in 95º heat? How does that make you more righteous? Or doesn't it? What's the purpose. I don't follow.

In Friendship,
Rexford

Its not a question of righteousness. The Torah Commands us, in two places, to wear fringes on the corners of our garments. What this means in practice is that we have to wear a tee-shirt, a garment with the fringes, and then a normal shirt. This can get very hot on warm days! During the winter, of course, it can be a plus. The reason for the fringes is that, looking upon them, we might be reminded not to follow after the evil inclinations of our eyes. or our minds.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello Yaakav,
No, I haven't read the thread in its entirety -- I primarily skim watching for contention so that it can be defused before it becomes overpowering.

I can understand your feeling of being attacked. Most members don't understand Judaism much more than they understand the Bible -- they're students of The Urantia Book. Your rejection of the teachings of TUB because they disagree with your own belief in Judaism doesn't carry much more weight to many readers than those channeled messages that disagree with the teachings of TUB. It would be nice if students of TUB were more forgiving, more open minded, more accepting, but that's not necessarily going to happen. So when you declare that the teachings of TUB are absurd because they disagree with Jewish scripture, and when you call members pigs, expect to get a strong response.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Yaakov001,

You wrote:
Yaakov001 wrote:
The Lord's Prayer, commonly called by Catholics the "Our Father", was actually a prayer commonly in use by Jews at the time that Jesus used it. The exact words were variable, but similar prayers are STILL used by Jews today.

Did you know that Muslims have a very similar prayer too?

Quote:
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful!
Praise be to God, Lord of the worlds! The compassionate, the merciful! King on the day of reckoning!
Thee only do we worship, and to Thee do we cry for help.
Guide Thou us on the straight path, The path of those to whom Thou has been gracious; with whom thou art not angry, and who go not astray. Sura 1

And as for the tzitzit, why can't you wear them on your outer garments?

In Friendship,
Rexford

PostPosted:  

lwatkins wrote:
Hello Yaakav,
No, I haven't read the thread in its entirety -- I primarily skim watching for contention so that it can be defused before it becomes overpowering.

I can understand your feeling of being attacked. Most members don't understand Judaism much more than they understand the Bible -- they're students of The Urantia Book. Your rejection of the teachings of TUB because they disagree with your own belief in Judaism doesn't carry much more weight to many readers than those channeled messages that disagree with the teachings of TUB. It would be nice if students of TUB were more forgiving, more open minded, more accepting, but that's not necessarily going to happen. So when you declare that the teachings of TUB are absurd because they disagree with Jewish scripture, and when you call members pigs, expect to get a strong response.

Larry

Actually, I edited the commentary about "pigs" before I got your first post. And Nelsong started his anti-Semitic garbage before I said anything about rejecting the UB. I encourage you to look back at the entire thread.

PostPosted:  

Rexford wrote:
Yaakov001,

You wrote:
Yaakov001 wrote:

Did you know that Muslims have a very similar prayer too?

Quote:
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful!
Praise be to God, Lord of the worlds! The compassionate, the merciful! King on the day of reckoning!
Thee only do we worship, and to Thee do we cry for help.
Guide Thou us on the straight path, The path of those to whom Thou has been gracious; with whom thou art not angry, and who go not astray. Sura 1

And as for the tzitzit, why can't you wear them on your outer garments?

In Friendship,
Rexford

Yes, I am aware of the Muslim prayer. I have read the Qur'an three times. As for the fringes, they have to be attached to the garment in a certain way such that it would be impossible to attach them to everyday clothing and then remove them.

PostPosted:  

Proud to be your brainless liar.
Only if it makes you feel better
BTW: still sacrifice Helpless critters?

PostPosted:  

My friend Yaakov - greetings!!

I see some of our fellows do not appreciate your devotion to personal religion and your graciousness in answering direct questions about such an important subject. It is unfortunate that any who might lay claim to any understanding of the Jesusonian gospel and disciplines of tolerance, sympathy, and finding common ground with other religionists would use insults, vulgarity, and sarcasm with a newer student of the UB. You attempt no conversion of others yet appear to be the victim of evangelistic fervor by comparison.

People ask you questions and you kindly respond....then get insulted for your beliefs. Shameful. I pray you will not rise to such obvious bait and allow the throwers of stone to be seen in their glass houses without your own undue distress.

The UB is very clear on these three points: anti-Semitism is error/evil and is a form of convicting the son for some perceived fault of the father (one here seems to think all the world's ills and tragedies come at the hands of Jews - what a stupid and ignorant position to then attempt to defend and perpetuate!); the other is the value and importance of rubbing elbows with and learning from a wide variety of religionists - especially those whose faith may be derived from different beliefs than our own; and third, that it is faith and not belief or knowledge or agreement that builds soul and ensures our destiny.

I am reminded of the school at Urmia and how Jesus never once ridiculed any belief which led to faith.

Perhaps those who have not asked a question should not respond to the answer given to the one who did ask.

Peace to you Yaakov.

Brad 8)

PostPosted:  

Nelsong wrote:

I guess you must be a vegan to avoid total hypocracy here....an intolerant vegan at that!

=; :roll:

PostPosted:  

Nelsong wrote:

Actually, no, we do not sacrifice at present, in the absence of a Temple, although when one is built, we will. Of course, under the righteous rule of Moshiach, there will be no sin offerings, since there will be no sin, but only thank offerings, and offerings of praise, but yes, G-d will again accept the Fire Offerings of Israel. Read your TaNaKh and get back to me.

fanofVan wrote:
My friend Yaakov - greetings!!

I see some of our fellows do not appreciate your devotion to personal religion and your graciousness in answering direct questions about such an important subject. It is unfortunate that any who might lay claim to any understanding of the Jesusonian gospel and disciplines of tolerance, sympathy, and finding common ground with other religionists would use insults, vulgarity, and sarcasm with a newer student of the UB. You attempt no conversion of others yet appear to be the victim of evangelistic fervor by comparison.

People ask you questions and you kindly respond....then get insulted for your beliefs. Shameful. I pray you will not rise to such obvious bait and allow the throwers of stone to be seen in their glass houses without your own undue distress.

The UB is very clear on these three points: anti-Semitism is error/evil and is a form of convicting the son for some perceived fault of the father (one here seems to think all the world's ills and tragedies come at the hands of Jews - what a stupid and ignorant position to then attempt to defend and perpetuate!); the other is the value and importance of rubbing elbows with and learning from a wide variety of religionists - especially those whose faith may be derived from different beliefs than our own; and third, that it is faith and not belief or knowledge or agreement that builds soul and ensures our destiny.

I am reminded of the school at Urmia and how Jesus never once ridiculed any belief which led to faith.

Perhaps those who have not asked a question should not respond to the answer given to the one who did ask.

Peace to you Yaakov.

Brad 8)

Brad, greetings:

You are most kind and polite. I appreciate your response. It is indeed most gracious. No, I have no desire to make other people Jews, unless they come to me with a wish for that themselves, which is all too rare (and who can blame them, given our history?). And I rather enjoy parts of the UB, just not all of it. In any case, you are most kind. Thank you.

fanofVan wrote:
Nelsong wrote:

I guess you must be a vegan to avoid total hypocracy here....an intolerant vegan at that!

=; :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Nelsong, if you're familiar with the running of the bulls in Pamplona you know that it seems to be great fun up until a bull has had enough. You've not been personally warned about your posts but the preceding ones should have been warning enough; insolence has earned you a week's vacation from posting here.

Larry

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next