Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:32 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Question 1: Do you think our MBTI type describes our eternal personality or our temporary ego centered, outer persona?

Random Thought:
In Jungian typology it is believed that in every human there exists a dual nature, one conscious and one unconscious personality. For example, outwardly I act, appear and behave like an ISFP (introverted sensing feeling perceiver). But my unconscious temperament is ESFJ (extraverted sensing feeling judging). The unconscious aspects of ourselves is considered to be 'our shadow' because they are hidden from view. Not only does our shadow resemble the parts of ourselves that we are ashamed of but more importantly they hold what is our truest light and our greatest potential. Jung referred to this as our 'golden shadow'.

In the Urantia book it states the following..

"shadows should be interpreted in terms of true substance."

"in every mortal there exists a dual nature."

"the material world is almost entirely unreal, being merely a shadow of the substance of spirit realities."

"As the soul grows, the personality is more readily seen, realized, acted on and recognized.”

"It is the individualization of each creature that comprises the cosmic chorus of the world, the local universe, the grand universe, and all creation. It will become more recognizable to you and others as you ascend.”

Carl Jung coined the term 'individuation." Which interestingly is also mentioned in the urantia book. Jung described it as the process of growth, or evolution in each individual. As we age the levels of our unconscious self are brought to light. We begin to become more aware of the hidden personality within us as time goes on. It's common for introverts to become more extroverted nearing the end of their life and likewise. Many believe that it is in the unconscious where we access the divine. Jung believe that the true self lived within the unconscious. The urantia book suggests that during mortal life humans are basically unaware of their God given personality. It is upon the moronita worlds and higher realism were we become conscious of who we really are. I wonder if what Jung refers to as our shadow personality could actually represent our true self?

It's interesting to me that even though I am known as an ISFP, I feel a mystical connection to the ESFJ description. ESFJ is known as the caretaker or guardian. When I try to see myself as a spiritual being instead of a human I sense my soul as a protector, a presence that looks over others as if she were a mother. I guess it will remain a mystery until I die.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hello Sophia11 and welcome!

First, thank you for bringing up this topic. Awhile back I read up on Jungian theory and the MBTI. I was hoping at some point to bring it up for discussion. You did that for me!

I do want to point out that there is a difference between the two-- Jung developed a framework of understanding human personality and Meyers/Briggs turned that into a test and code system. People often confuse the two as the same system, but they are separate developments.

#1. I am inclined to think the MBTI is a grossly oversimplified indicator of our current, temporal human personality. It really just describes our preferences, not our being.

As you pointed out, according to TUB the road to true self-actualization and self-realization is very long, and our eternal selves are mere embryos at this point.

I am not sure yet how I feel about Jung's shadow concept. But the dual nature you speak of in TUB usually refers to our animal selves and our spirit selves: the reflection of the fact that we all serve two masters. But I can't rule out that if you choose to follow God's will and really start to express your true nature on this planet, that your MBTI may shift. Particularly with the introversion/extroversion preference.

While Jung believed that our true selves lives in the subconscious, TUB states that in actuality, the spiritization of our minds occurs in our superconscious. This is a new concept on this planet, and to me this better fits the fact of our dual nature.

By default, I usually test as an INTP. But when I am on The Path, I shed some of those preferences, and honestly I'm not sure what I would test as in that state. So I don't think you're far off. The process of growth involves change. And so our MBTI could change, for sure. Thus the idea of the shadow doesn't seem too much of a stretch for me.

- quil

PostPosted:  

MBTI? What is MBTI?

PostPosted:  

Good question.

Carl Jung developed a theory of personality types that eventually inspired the development of the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment, a questionnaire designed to practically apply Jung's theories.

Though often criticized in academic circles for its lack of rigor and questionable methodology, it nevertheless remains a very popular tool in use around the world, particularly in business.