Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:10 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Problem With A Quote
PostPosted:  

(553.7) 48:6.26 Even on Urantia, these seraphim teach the everlasting truth: If your own mind does not serve you well, you can exchange it for the mind of Jesus of Nazareth, who always serves you well.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why this quote was placed in the book.

The two problems I am having with this quote are:

1) Why would any being make this choice? First of all, if you had the mind capable of making such a choice in the
first place, your mind IS serving you. There is no need to thwart the divine plan of allowing the will creature
their ability to choose with the mind given, regardless if that mind is prone to failure, failure I might add that
allows the creature to learn.

2) By what miracle is this event going to take place within such a mind that does not serve the being well?
In order for such a miracle to take form in the first place the mind of the person must be in a miraculous
state to begin with. Or, at the very least, the FAITH of the person must be of such perfection as to allow this
miracle to materialize within their mind.

This quote is baffling to me. I makes no sense whatsoever.

I have never liked reading it, especially on our world there is much about this quote that is simply wrong, for instance;

Who's mind here on this planet is actually serving them according to the higher ideals of the divine plan?
From what I read here in the UB, everything about our planet has NOT gone according to plan.

What I mean by this is that.....we are all broken!

How is it possible with our lower order minds and lower order spiritual receptivity we can look forward to the expectation of producing such a miracle when even the plan of Michael has been duly noted as being not yet received here on our backward planet?

I just don't get it at all.
I cannot see the point of stating it....what? We can have what we cannot possibly produce???

Any thoughts????

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Problem With A Quote
PostPosted:  

48:6.26 You will learn that you increase your burdens and decrease the likelihood of success by taking yourself too seriously. Nothing can take precedence over the work of your status sphere—this world or the next. Very important is the work of preparation for the next higher sphere, but nothing equals the importance of the work of the world in which you are actually living. But though the work is important, the self is not. When you feel important, you lose energy to the wear and tear of ego dignity so that there is little energy left to do the work. Self-importance, not work-importance, exhausts immature creatures; it is the self element that exhausts, not the effort to achieve. You can do important work if you do not become self-important; you can do several things as easily as one if you leave yourself out. Variety is restful; monotony is what wears and exhausts. Day after day is alike—just life or the alternative of death.

Are we reading the same book? The above is what I read in that passage number.

Okay, I found the quote in 48:6.15.

I agree with you. I also have hard time understanding what it means. I can only speculate that since we also read in this book the life and teachings of Jesus, that we just need to remember his life and teachings whenever we find ourselves or realize we are veering away from the "path to perfection".

PostPosted:  

I had very similar perceptions. But in thinking about this now it seems that the angels must mean that we can choose to replace small and very specific existing thought patterns with those that are more meaningful and grander (where the Master Son's patterns are the highest and most worthy in this Universe).

I think the revelators are alluding to the general process of character transformation as we all grow, rather than some one-time bulk brain replacement surgery. They really should have been much more explicit here. I guess they must not have tested that text on the Contact Commission when they were compiling the book's contents.

PostPosted:  

xobeht wrote:
(553.7) 48:6.26 Even on Urantia, these seraphim teach the everlasting truth: If your own mind does not serve you well, you can exchange it for the mind of Jesus of Nazareth, who always serves you well.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why this quote was placed in the book.

xobeht wrote:
What I mean by this is that.....we are all broken!

Greetings!! The reference provided is accurately numbered and posted by xobeht and I will also indulge in some speculation as to meaning. First, I think it important to put the quote in its Paper context - this is the mansion worlds discussed primarily while the quote does refer to mortal minds, it is in passing or "'Even' on Urantia...." mind may be exchanged. This does not suggest that "anyone" may or can I do not think....or not without significant progress in the spirit, wisdom, and experience. What those minds may do is try to imagine "what would Jesus do", a common enough exercise.

I do not agree that "we are all broken" - I think we are blind, ignorant, and infants in spirit experience - just babes in time with so much to learn....and so little example and illumination except that which is within. I think the quote refers to that which is possible, even useful and normal, in time to come by far more knowledge and experience. Often, to best understand a quote, especially something written almost in passing and not so related to the topic being presented, one must pull on that thread end and find its meaning in other parts of the text. "Mind" is a real big topic and one which perplexes me - so I do not claim any great understanding....just hoping to apply process and engage in another interesting discussion. I look forward to more soon but for now I offer some text from Part I to digest while we ponder this riddle.

I suggest a reread of Paper 6 for some related study which may shine some light of understanding upon the text at hand. For example:

(78.7) 6:6.4 The Eternal Son is wholly spiritual; man is very nearly entirely material; therefore much pertaining to the spirit personality of the Eternal Son, to his seven spiritual spheres encircling Paradise and to the nature of the impersonal creations of the Paradise Son, will have to await your attainment of spirit status following your completion of the morontia ascension of the local universe of Nebadon. And then, as you pass through the superuniverse and on to Havona, many of these spirit-concealed mysteries will clarify as you begin to be endowed with the “mind of the spirit” — spiritual insight.

(80.2) 6:8.5 Even though the Eternal Son is the pattern of mortal personality attainment, you find it easier to grasp the reality of both the Father and the Spirit because the Father is the actual bestower of your human personality and the Infinite Spirit is the absolute source of your mortal mind. But as you ascend in the Paradise path of spiritual progression, the personality of the Eternal Son will become increasingly real to you, and the reality of his infinitely spiritual mind will become more discernible to your progressively spiritualizing mind.

(80.3) 6:8.6 Never can the concept of the Eternal Son shine brightly in your material or subsequent morontial mind; not until you spiritize and commence your spirit ascension will the comprehension of the personality of the Eternal Son begin to equal the vividness of your concept of the personality of the Creator Son of Paradise origin who, in person and as a person, onetime incarnated and lived on Urantia as a man among men.

And from Paper 9:

5. The Ministry of Mind

(102.7) 9:5.1 The Third Source and Center is infinite in mind. If the universe should grow to infinity, still his mind potential would be adequate to endow limitless numbers of creatures with suitable minds and other prerequisites of intellect.

(102.8) 9:5.2 In the domain of created mind the Third Person, with his co-ordinate and subordinate associates, rules supreme. The realms of creature mind are of exclusive origin in the Third Source and Center; he is the bestower of mind. Even the Father fragments find it impossible to indwell the minds of men until the way has been properly prepared for them by the mind action and spiritual function of the Infinite Spirit.

(103.1) 9:5.3 The unique feature of mind is that it can be bestowed upon such a wide range of life. Through his creative and creature associates the Third Source and Center ministers to all minds on all spheres. He ministers to human and subhuman intellect through the adjutants of the local universes and, through the agency of the physical controllers, ministers even to the lowest nonexperiencing entities of the most primitive types of living things. And always is the direction of mind a ministry of mind-spirit or mind-energy personalities.

(103.2) 9:5.4 Since the Third Person of Deity is the source of mind, it is quite natural that the evolutionary will creatures find it easier to form comprehensible concepts of the Infinite Spirit than they do of either the Eternal Son or the Universal Father. The reality of the Conjoint Creator is disclosed imperfectly in the very existence of human mind. The Conjoint Creator is the ancestor of the cosmic mind, and the mind of man is an individualized circuit, an impersonal portion, of that cosmic mind as it is bestowed in a local universe by a Creative Daughter of the Third Source and Center.

(103.3) 9:5.5 Because the Third Person is the source of mind, do not presume to reckon that all phenomena of mind are divine. Human intellect is rooted in the material origin of the animal races. Universe intelligence is no more a true revelation of God who is mind than is physical nature a true revelation of the beauty and harmony of Paradise. Perfection is in nature, but nature is not perfect. The Conjoint Creator is the source of mind, but mind is not the Conjoint Creator.

(103.4) 9:5.6 Mind, on Urantia, is a compromise between the essence of thought perfection and the evolving mentality of your immature human nature. The plan for your intellectual evolution is, indeed, one of sublime perfection, but you are far short of that divine goal as you function in the tabernacles of the flesh. Mind is truly of divine origin, and it does have a divine destiny, but your mortal minds are not yet of divine dignity.

(103.5) 9:5.7 Too often, all too often, you mar your minds by insincerity and sear them with unrighteousness; you subject them to animal fear and distort them by useless anxiety. Therefore, though the source of mind is divine, mind as you know it on your world of ascension can hardly become the object of great admiration, much less of adoration or worship. The contemplation of the immature and inactive human intellect should lead only to reactions of humility.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
(553.5) 48:6.24 3. Mind Planners. These seraphim are devoted to the effective grouping of morontia beings and to organizing their teamwork on the mansion worlds. They are the psychologists of the first heaven. The majority of this particular division of seraphic ministers have had previous experience as guardian angels to the children of time, but their wards, for some reason, failed to personalize on the mansion worlds or else survived by the technique of Spirit fusion.

(553.6) 48:6.25 It is the task of the mind planners to study the nature, experience, and status of the Adjuster souls in transit through the mansion worlds and to facilitate their grouping for assignment and advancement. But these mind planners do not scheme, manipulate, or otherwise take advantage of the ignorance or other limitations of mansion world students. They are wholly fair and eminently just. They respect your newborn morontia will; they regard you as independent volitional beings, and they seek to encourage your speedy development and advancement. Here you are face to face with true friends and understanding counselors, angels who are really able to help you “to see yourself as others see you” and “to know yourself as angels know you.”

In the context of the entire section where (48:6.26) is presented it is in reference to the "Mind Planner" seraphim, where by its statement that these seraphim are also resident on "Urantia". Then, what it is presenting is the teaching of "everlasting truth" as if a motto, for instructions. In (48:6.24) it also indicates that these seraphim "are the psychologists of the first heaven" and, that they administer to, as in (48:6.25) using a method associated with psychology where the questions posed by such a teacher would "not scheme, manipulate, or otherwise take advantage of the ignorance or other limitations of mansion world students." Therefore, "if your own mind" or method of interaction "does not serve you well" then "exchange" this methodology with that of how "Jesus of Nazareth" taught His disciples to teach.
Now if one takes "everlasting truth" and searches the Urantia Book for any other notation you will find the following:
Quote:
(1383.1) 125:5.8 And all the day through, those who listened marveled at these questions, and none was more astonished than Simon. For more than four hours this Nazareth youth plied these Jewish teachers with thought-provoking and heart-searching questions. He made few comments on the remarks of his elders. He conveyed his teaching by the questions he would ask. By the deft and subtle phrasing of a question he would at one and the same time challenge their teaching and suggest his own. In the manner of his asking a question there was an appealing combination of sagacity and humor which endeared him even to those who more or less resented his youthfulness. He was always eminently fair and considerate in the asking of these penetrating questions. On this eventful afternoon in the temple he exhibited that same reluctance to take unfair advantage of an opponent which characterized his entire subsequent public ministry. As a youth, and later on as a man, he seemed to be utterly free from all egoistic desire to win an argument merely to experience logical triumph over his fellows, being interested supremely in just one thing: to proclaim everlasting truth and thus effect a fuller revelation of the eternal God.

Can anyone take this same methodology and associate it with using the "mind of Jesus of Nazareth"?

PostPosted:  

Today I met with a young man who is seeking a richer more fulfilling relationship with Jesus. He has three sons and his oldest will leave for college next year. He wants to be a better example for all three. After an hour of visiting, I asked him to write down on a piece of paper, two words. On the first line I had him write “serious”. I asked him to consider his studies of faith and ask himself if he thought he was being what he thinks this word means. I further asked him to consider that it is only his personal definition of the term that I am asking him to research. Now I asked him to write the second word. “Sincere”. I suggested he look at this term with the same deliberation. I said we will continue to meet once every week or two and discuss many things. I said, “But during the next year I would that you will ponder these two terms as completely and deeply as you are able because the difference between the two is the Gospel. A year from now we will bring this up again and evaluate your differences of viewpoint together." He is excited to follow this suggestion.

Quote:
48:6.26 Even on Urantia, these seraphim teach the everlasting truth: If your own mind does not serve you well, you can exchange it for the mind of Jesus of Nazareth, who always serves you well.

Don't miss the word "exchange" in the previous passage. Learning will never teach us the mind of God. It must be experienced. The process of obtaining spiritual experience is well explained in the Urantia Book but it is not popular. It requires that we do as it says here, “170:3.3 It is in the consideration of the technique of receiving God’s forgiveness that the attainment of the righteousness of the kingdom is revealed. Faith is the price you pay for entrance into the family of God; but forgiveness is the act of God which accepts your faith as the price of admission. And the reception of the forgiveness of God by a kingdom believer involves a definite and actual experience. . .” Or as it says in 48:6.8 we must “adhere to the preaching of “the goodness of God, which leads to repentance,”. This simple but personally challenging process is the driver that moves us from our focus on and/or of self to a true focus on God. We can learn much about God and maintain a self-oriented life but we must develop a repentant attitude and mindedness if we are to experience the reality of God. Self and God do not co-exist in the seat of our identity. The Mansion Worlds may greatly assist us in the eradication of our tendency to be self-oriented but why wait? The world needs to see Jesus living in us.

As far as eradicating self oriented attitudes, I do not believe it will be more pleasurable to do it there than here, but what do I know? It may seem that it will be easier to be "good" there, looking at it from our earthly perspective, but at that time we will not have any of our current pet excuses. All we will be able to say honestly is “I didn’t try hard enough”. This means only that we weren’t as sincere as we could have been and for that simple oversight we must accept the Divine Forgiveness. It is really the same here isn't it? By the way that is what Jesus asked us to do here.

Quote:
140:1.4 “But for you, my children, and for all others who would follow you into this kingdom, there is set a severe test. Faith alone will pass you through its portals, but you must bring forth the fruits of my Father’s spirit if you would continue to ascend in the progressive life of the divine fellowship. Verily, verily, I say to you, not every one who says, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven; but rather he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

140:1.5 “Your message to the world shall be: Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and in finding these, all other things essential to eternal survival shall be secured therewith. And now would I make it plain to you that this kingdom of my Father will not come with an outward show of power or with unseemly demonstration. You are not to go hence in the proclamation of the kingdom, saying, ‘it is here’ or ‘it is there,’ for this kingdom of which you preach is God within you.

140:1.6 “Whosoever would become great in my Father’s kingdom shall become a minister to all; and whosoever would be first among you, let him become the server of his brethren. But when you are once truly received as citizens in the heavenly kingdom, you are no longer servants but sons, sons of the living God. And so shall this kingdom progress in the world until it shall break down every barrier and bring all men to know my Father and believe in the saving truth which I have come to declare. Even now is the kingdom at hand, and some of you will not die until you have seen the reign of God come in great power.

140:1.7 “And this which your eyes now behold, this small beginning of twelve commonplace men, shall multiply and grow until eventually the whole earth shall be filled with the praise of my Father. And it will not be so much by the words you speak as by the lives you live that men will know you have been with me and have learned of the realities of the kingdom. And while I would lay no grievous burdens upon your minds, I am about to put upon your souls the solemn responsibility of representing me in the world when I shall presently leave you as I now represent my Father in this life which I am living in the flesh.” And when he had finished speaking, he stood up.

So why not do it now?
Quote:
48:6.26 Even on Urantia, these seraphim teach the everlasting truth: If your own mind does not serve you well, you can exchange it for the mind of Jesus of Nazareth, who always serves you well.
Sure we are all serious, really serious about all this, but are we as sincere as we can be? I know I am not, yet!

PostPosted:  

Nice Jim.

PostPosted:  

I want to thank everyone for their input.

I find it no accident that Ysmael seemed to accidentally find a different quote under the same numbering.
I have been thinking about that quote about taking yourself too seriously for over two years now since I came across it here a few times at the forum.
I too have that tendency to be too serious.

And then Jim posts his comments about sincerity vs seriousness.

There may be many times that I do not get the answer that I am hoping for when I ask questions about life matters. But, that does not negate the fact that I do receive many things to ponder, new ways to look at life's mysteries.

Thanks again everyone who took the time to post, it's always helpful.

Paul