Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Regarding Paper 72, GOVERNMENT ON A NEIGHBORING PLANET in the Urantia Book:
Your speculation requested as to how far away from earth this planet is that is
similar to earth?

72:0.1 BY PERMISSION OF Lanaforge and with the approval of the Most Highs of Edentia, I am authorized to narrate something of the social, moral, and political life of the most advanced human race living on a not far-distant planet belonging to the Satania system.

72:0.2 Of all the Satania worlds which became isolated because of participation in the Lucifer rebellion, this planet has experienced a history most like that of Urantia. The similarity of the two spheres undoubtedly explains why permission to make this extraordinary presentation was granted, for it is most unusual for the system rulers to consent to the narration on one planet of the affairs of another.

72:0.3 This planet, like Urantia, was led astray by the disloyalty of its Planetary Prince in connection with the Lucifer rebellion. It received a Material Son shortly after Adam came to Urantia, and this Son also defaulted, leaving the sphere isolated, since a Magisterial Son has never been bestowed upon its mortal races.

PostPosted:  

I have no idea but even one light year is quite a distance. The relevant "proximity" is the progress in the mortal epochs compared between Urantia and this neighboring planet. A closer "neighbor" is likely a non-breather world...lots of readership speculation on this one:

3. Worlds of the Nonbreathers

(563.4) 49:3.1 The majority of inhabited planets are peopled with the breathing type of intelligent beings. But there are also orders of mortals who are able to live on worlds with little or no air. Of the Orvonton inhabited worlds this type amounts to less than seven per cent. In Nebadon this percentage is less than three. In all Satania there are only nine such worlds.

(563.5) 49:3.2 There are so very few of the nonbreather type of inhabited worlds in Satania because this more recently organized section of Norlatiadek still abounds in meteoric space bodies; and worlds without a protective friction atmosphere are subject to incessant bombardment by these wanderers. Even some of the comets consist of meteor swarms, but as a rule they are disrupted smaller bodies of matter.

(563.6) 49:3.3 Millions upon millions of meteorites enter the atmosphere of Urantia daily, coming in at the rate of almost two hundred miles a second. On the nonbreathing worlds the advanced races must do much to protect themselves from meteor damage by making electrical installations which operate to consume or shunt the meteors. Great danger confronts them when they venture beyond these protected zones. These worlds are also subject to disastrous electrical storms of a nature unknown on Urantia. During such times of tremendous energy fluctuation the inhabitants must take refuge in their special structures of protective insulation.

(563.7) 49:3.4 Life on the worlds of the nonbreathers is radically different from what it is on Urantia. The nonbreathers do not eat food or drink water as do the Urantia races. The reactions of the nervous system, the heat-regulating mechanism, and the metabolism of these specialized peoples are radically different from such functions of Urantia mortals. Almost every act of living, aside from reproduction, differs, and even the methods of procreation are somewhat different.

(564.1) 49:3.5 On the nonbreathing worlds the animal species are radically unlike those found on the atmospheric planets. The nonbreathing plan of life varies from the technique of existence on an atmospheric world; even in survival their peoples differ, being candidates for Spirit fusion. Nevertheless, these beings enjoy life and carry forward the activities of the realm with the same relative trials and joys that are experienced by the mortals living on atmospheric worlds. In mind and character the nonbreathers do not differ from other mortal types.

(564.2) 49:3.6 You would be more than interested in the planetary conduct of this type of mortal because such a race of beings inhabits a sphere in close proximity to Urantia.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Quote:
The relevant "proximity" is the progress in the mortal epochs compared between Urantia and this neighboring planet.

Sorry, i completely misunderstood what "proximity" was referring to.

Okay, yes, i forgot about the non-breathers, and will read into this more also, fanofvan.
Someone mentioned to me that some of the non-breathers do not like Urantians landing spacecraft on a sphere very close to us, and because of this, NASA has no plans to do so again. I wonder, if in general, non-breathers further away from us, know about us and the Urantia Papers, about Christ Michael etc.?

PostPosted:  

Hi Eric,

Even though there are now hundreds of planets that seem to have been detected in other star systems, none of them (to my knowledge) is at all close to the Earth. But there are limitations with that technique and smaller planets can be very difficult to detect.

The nearest stars, according to the 1995 Rand McNally Atlas of the Universe are:

Proxima Centuri 4.25 light years away (a dim red dwarf)
Alpha Centuri 4.37 light years away
Barnard's Star 5.8 light years away

Here's a more complete reference:
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/conste ... arest.html

PostPosted:  

Riktare wrote:
Hi Eric,

Even though there are now hundreds of planets that seem to have been detected in other star systems, none of them (to my knowledge) is at all close to the Earth. But there are limitations with that technique and smaller planets can be very difficult to detect.

The nearest stars, according to the 1995 Rand McNally Atlas of the Universe are:

Proxima Centuri 4.25 light years away (a dim red dwarf)
Alpha Centuri 4.37 light years away
Barnard's Star 5.8 light years away

Here's a more complete reference:
http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/conste ... arest.html

thanks kindly, Riktare

PostPosted:  

Interesting enough, the link I posted states that the nearby stars are arranged around us randomly. I think that indicates we aren't quite on the very edge of the local universe, constellation or system. But we are in and very sparse zone. There are some calculations posted here for that...