Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:04 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

According to the Urantia book, Jesus was born August 21st, 12 o'clock noon.

The book gives the year as 7 BC.

Now how could Jesus have been born 7 years BC, or Before Christ?

Perhaps someone could tell me how the BC thing works - how time was reckoned in relation to the birth of Christ?

Thanks,

jcarruth

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/
I think the above link (a calendar converter) will give You a good start on how the different world calendars overlap each other.
Urantia describes all dates, as far as I can recalled, based on our current Gregorian calendar. Therefore August 21st, 7BC, Joshua's birthday according to the Gregorian calendar was actually at the time and based on the Hebrew calendar as the 16th of Elul, of the Hebrew year 3753 (according to the above calendar converter.)
The converter also provides a great description of each calendar.
I find as one of the most interesting and complex calendars that of the Mayans.
Hope this helps You.

PostPosted:  

liberybell,

Thank you for your answer. Your link gave me several pages to read and understand, plus many different handy calendar converters, which I also didn't understand.

I don't know where or how on that page you gave me I would go to get my answer. I couldn't even see where to start.

I am not very good at math. Is there a simpler answer to this? I know I asked to understand how the whole BC time thing worked, but perhaps that was the wrong thing for me to ask.

If Jesus is one years old, why does the Urantia book then say it is seven years Before Christ?

How is that even possible, unless Jesus lived in some inter-dimensional time zone and was negative 7 years old at the same time he was one years old. Is this a quantum physics question, then? I didn't think it was. At least I hope not.

Can you give me the one-sentence version? Otherwise, I think it's a bit beyond me.

I thank you for responding to me.

jcarruth

Last edited by jcarruth on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:29 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

The concept of calculating dates according to Jesus' birth and death was invented ind 525 AD. it was not widely used until after 800 AD. There was in fact an error made when calculating the date of Jesus' birth, so he could easily have been born during another year.

PostPosted:  

Yaakov001,

It was my impression that the section on Jesus' life in the Urantia book was to give us a clear, complete, detailed record of what actually happened. Saying that upon his birth, the year was 7 BC doesn't seem very clear to me, nor does it mention that this way of reckoning BC and AC time wasn't commonly used until 800 years later, or that it was invented in 525 AD. Or that an error made when calculating the date of Jesus' birth. Nor does the Urantia explain any of that.

This doesn't seem very clear to me.

I am still not understanding why the Urantia book says that Jesus was born 7 years Before Christ. Couldn't they have phrased their reasoning for this statement in plain, clear language?

Thanks,
jcarruth

PostPosted:  

Hi jcarruth,

"BC" is only a designation describing the particular year that olden authorities deemed to be a best guess of when Jesus was born. There had been many debates to try to determine his actual birth year. They choose that year a very long time ago. It is known by both UB students and common academics nowadays to be incorrect.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

The reckoning of time on earth is arbitrary and a human invention. I expect that in cave man times each tribe viewed the past in terms of events that had affected their tribe; there would have been thousands of different "calendars". As societies and cultures grew they each devised meaningful ways of numbering the past, defining some arbitrary starting point as the beginning of history. In Jesus' day the Jews had a calendar, most likely based on when they believed Moses brought them out of Egypt, for example. The Roman occupiers had their own calendar, based on the rule of caesars. The Greeks had their own calendar, and so on. It wasn't until the world-wide spread of the Christian religion that an attempt was made to bring the civilized world into one reckoning for the past and the future; the Church chose to make the date of Jesus' birth year zero... everything before that time was termed B.C. and everything after it A.D. -- they'd put a stake in the sand and said from that point forward or backward we reckon the passage of time.

The problem was, this was done hundreds of years after Jesus and no one knew when Jesus was born -- they had to extrapolate the date as best they could from the scriptures. The Urantia Book says they did a pretty good job, missing the actual date of his birth only by seven years. Since the angels are the true record keepers and time recorders, they knew the exact date and that's the date used in TUB. It's okay that we know Jesus was born in 7 B.C.-- the calendar just has a factual error; it's all arbitrary anyway.

Larry

PostPosted:  

Thanks, Larry.

It gets a little confusing when I am reading the UB story of Jesus, and they put a date on things. Your explanation helped a lot.

So we're really living in 2007 now, eh?

jcarruth

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Good one jcarruth -- made me laugh.

No, we're really living in 2014. If we wanted a calendar that was truly based on Jesus' birth then this would be 2007.

Larry

PostPosted:  

liberybell wrote:
https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/calendar/
I think the above link (a calendar converter) will give You a good start on how the different world calendars overlap each other.
Urantia describes all dates, as far as I can recalled, based on our current Gregorian calendar. Therefore August 21st, 7BC, Joshua's birthday according to the Gregorian calendar was actually at the time and based on the Hebrew calendar as the 16th of Elul, of the Hebrew year 3753 (according to the above calendar converter.)
The converter also provides a great description of each calendar.
I find as one of the most interesting and complex calendars that of the Mayans.
Hope this helps You.

Hi liberybell, thanks for this reference, I'm sure it will come in handy. :biggrin:
rdemart

PostPosted:  

You are very welcome Hermano rdemart.
It still puzzles me the fact that some dates on the UB seem to follow the Julian calendar instead our current Gregorian calendar. It is not that I doubt the accuracy of the brothers that put together the UB revelations, I have recently been enlighten to understand that Truth is more that just the validation of mortal facts...
It is comforting though to read articles from brothers that know more about this subject than me that point out the accuracy of the dates on UB, like this one (http://beamsdoorway.bizland.com/urantia/ub-dates.html)
I think as I continue to read the UB my TA will know how to enlighten me farther on a greater understanding not only on the subject of the dates but, more importantly, on the depth of the spiritual meanings and values of these wonderful revelations.

Thank You to all those, like Larry, that have been through so many cycles of reading of the UB, for helping all of us with their deep and age-long study of the UB teachings.

Much Love to All

PostPosted:  

Others have explained this well but here's a little analogy that may help clarify further.

Let's say we find a young orphan and we don't know any information about where or when he was born. Since you can't go around without an age, we assign him an arbitrary birth date (1/1/1984) based on how old we think he looks. At age 30, he goes searching for his origins and discovers his birth certificate with his true birth date of 1/1/1982. Of course that doesn't mean he was actually -2 in 1982, only that we guessed wrong. Simplistically, that's basically what happened with our calendar system of AD/BC. They made their best educated guess at the time of when they thought Jesus was born. Later, through more research, it was discovered that they got the date wrong.

So we could trash the whole system of calendar measurement we've been using for a couple thousand years, spend probably trillions of dollars and countless hours/days/years correcting the print calendars and updating computer systems and software and re-teaching people the "correct" date, or we can just say yep, Jesus was born in 7 B.C. :)

PostPosted:  

Tony wrote:
Others have explained this well but here's a little analogy that may help clarify further.

Let's say we find a young orphan and we don't know any information about where or when he was born. Since you can't go around without an age, we assign him an arbitrary birth date (1/1/1984) based on how old we think he looks. At age 30, he goes searching for his origins and discovers his birth certificate with his true birth date of 1/1/1982. Of course that doesn't mean he was actually -2 in 1982, only that we guessed wrong. Simplistically, that's basically what happened with our calendar system of AD/BC. They made their best educated guess at the time of when they thought Jesus was born. Later, through more research, it was discovered that they got the date wrong.

So we could trash the whole system of calendar measurement we've been using for a couple thousand years, spend probably trillions of dollars and countless hours/days/years correcting the print calendars and updating computer systems and software and re-teaching people the "correct" date, or we can just say yep, Jesus was born in 7 B.C. :)

Like your analogy :smile:

When You mention the difficulty of changing our calendar it reminded me the difficulties of the switch to our current calendar. When the Gregorian calendar was first propose it created a hysteria among many people because they had to loose 10 days of their life - or so they thought. Pope Gregory XIII propose the change back on 1582 when he found out that due to the drift of the Julian calendar Easter would end up begin celebrated on the summer instead the spring.
The fact that this was coming from the authorities of the Catholic Church created a great disagreement among countries and among the different religious organization. This added to people's confusion and fear, many took their own lives.
http://www.history.com/news/6-things-yo ... n-calendar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

PostPosted:  

jcarruth wrote:
Yaakov001,

It was my impression that the section on Jesus' life in the Urantia book was to give us a clear, complete, detailed record of what actually happened. Saying that upon his birth, the year was 7 BC doesn't seem very clear to me, nor does it mention that this way of reckoning BC and AC time wasn't commonly used until 800 years later, or that it was invented in 525 AD. Or that an error made when calculating the date of Jesus' birth. Nor does the Urantia explain any of that.

This doesn't seem very clear to me.

I am still not understanding why the Urantia book says that Jesus was born 7 years Before Christ. Couldn't they have phrased their reasoning for this statement in plain, clear language?

Thanks,
jcarruth

The Urantia Book is not a revelation of facts. Its a revelation of truth. They will often leave it up to the reader to sort out issues that he can figure out on his own, they are not going to give us information that we have readily available. The book is an advanced philosophical text, that is how the language is coming out. Humans have generally not read anything written in this style so their brain malfunctions when they are not reading streams of factual data. Now you may wonder what purpose does this serve? To answer that you have to understand what True Philosophy is. A true philosophical perspective is fundamentally a top down perspective.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing