Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Please, do you know why the revelators use “deity” in lower case (87 instances) in contrast to the use of the same word in capital letter (Deity, 812 instances)?

These are some examples of "deity" in lower case:

(1.1) 0:0.1 IN THE MINDS of the mortals of Urantia — that being the name of your world — there exists great confusion respecting the meaning of such terms as God, divinity, and deity. Human beings are still more confused and uncertain about the relationships of the divine personalities designated by these numerous appellations. Because of this conceptual poverty associated with so much ideational confusion, I have been directed to formulate this introductory statement in explanation of the meanings which should be attached to certain word symbols as they may be hereinafter used in those papers which the Orvonton corps of truth revealers have been authorized to translate into the English language of Urantia.

(2.1) 0:1.1 The universe of universes presents phenomena of deity activities on diverse levels of cosmic realities, mind meanings, and spirit values, but all of these ministrations — personal or otherwise — are divinely co-ordinated.

(4.3) 0:2.9 By context — as when used in the discussion of some one deity level or association. When in doubt as to the exact interpretation of the word God, it would be advisable to refer it to the person of the Universal Father.

(5.15) 0:3.16 4. The unlimited capacity for deity action resides in the Deity Absolute.

(10.11) 0:7.6 Having achieved existential Deity expression of himself in the Son and the Spirit, the Father is now achieving experiential expression on hitherto impersonal and unrevealed deity levels as God the Supreme, God the Ultimate, and God the Absolute; but these experiential Deities are not now fully existent; they are in process of actualization.

(15.1) 0:11.11 The tension-presence of the Universal Absolute signifies the adjustment of differential between deity reality and undeified reality inherent in the separation of the dynamics of freewill divinity from the statics of unqualified infinity.

Could it be a synonym for "divine"?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Angel Francisco wrote:
Please, do you know why the revelators use “deity” in lower case (87 instances) in contrast to the use of the same word in capital letter (Deity, 812 instances)?

These are some examples of "deity" in lower case:

(1.1) 0:0.1 IN THE MINDS of the mortals of Urantia — that being the name of your world — there exists great confusion respecting the meaning of such terms as God, divinity, and deity. Human beings are still more confused and uncertain about the relationships of the divine personalities designated by these numerous appellations. Because of this conceptual poverty associated with so much ideational confusion, I have been directed to formulate this introductory statement in explanation of the meanings which should be attached to certain word symbols as they may be hereinafter used in those papers which the Orvonton corps of truth revealers have been authorized to translate into the English language of Urantia.

(2.1) 0:1.1 The universe of universes presents phenomena of deity activities on diverse levels of cosmic realities, mind meanings, and spirit values, but all of these ministrations — personal or otherwise — are divinely co-ordinated.

(4.3) 0:2.9 By context — as when used in the discussion of some one deity level or association. When in doubt as to the exact interpretation of the word God, it would be advisable to refer it to the person of the Universal Father.

(5.15) 0:3.16 4. The unlimited capacity for deity action resides in the Deity Absolute.

(10.11) 0:7.6 Having achieved existential Deity expression of himself in the Son and the Spirit, the Father is now achieving experiential expression on hitherto impersonal and unrevealed deity levels as God the Supreme, God the Ultimate, and God the Absolute; but these experiential Deities are not now fully existent; they are in process of actualization.

(15.1) 0:11.11 The tension-presence of the Universal Absolute signifies the adjustment of differential between deity reality and undeified reality inherent in the separation of the dynamics of freewill divinity from the statics of unqualified infinity.

Could it be a synonym for "divine"?

Capital D (Deity) means God, that part I am sure of. Lower d I think means something like divine, but I am not quite sure to be honest I know it definitely does not mean the same as (Deity).

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Yes, it is difficulty to know. I also think it must be something like divine. some kind of impersonal deity level.
Thank you

PostPosted:  

Hi Ángel, According to urantia.book.org:
Quote:
Deity, capital D is used as a personal, divine, supernal title.

Example: "DEITY is personalizable as God, is prepersonal and superpersonal in ways not altogether comprehensible by man. Deity is characterized by the quality of unity--actual or potential--on all supermaterial levels of reality; and this unifying quality is best comprehended by creatures as divinity." [F:1.2]

By contrast, deity, small d, is used in discussion of levels, impersonal acts, etc.

Examples: "The universe of universes presents phenomena of deity activities on diverse levels of cosmic realities, mind meanings, and spirit values". [F:2.2] Note also: "DIVINITY is the characteristic, unifying, and co-ordinating quality of Deity." [F:1.16] and "Divinity is creature comprehensible as truth, beauty, and goodness; correlated in personality as love, mercy, and ministry; disclosed on impersonal levels as justice, power, and sovereignty." [F:1.17]

Given these examples, it might be appropriate to consider that Deity, capital D, can be personalizable as God, whereas deity, small d, signifies the characteristic unifying quality of divinity.

Example: "No one of the Seven Spirits is organically representative of the Paradise Trinity, but when they unite as sevenfold Deity, this union in a deity sense--not in a personal sense--equivalates to a functional level associable with Trinity functions." [16:3.16]

(from: http://urantia-book.org/archive/studyaid/capitals.htm)
But I don’t think this analysis is correct.. Deity (capital D) is not "used as a personal, divine, supernal title". Deity (capital D) is prepersonal and superpersonal, and personalizable as God, and Deity is characterized by the quality of unity, which is best comprehended by creatures as divinity (0:1.2). And I don’t quite see how deity (small d), as a rule, "signifies the characteristic unifying quality of divinity", in phrases such as deity activity, deity level, and deity reality..

It seems the revelators applied a rather simple rule: if you can replace the word deity by Deity-like or of-Deity, then deity is written with a small d. Apart from that, deity is spelled with a small d in cases where the term is used to refer to what we as mortals can perceive/experience/comprehend of Deity (capital D), such as in: "IN THE MINDS of the mortals of Urantia — that being the name of your world — there exists great confusion respecting the meaning of such terms as God, divinity, and deity ..." (0:0.1)..

PostPosted:  

Thank you Bart. I did not realize there was a study done on capitalizations.

This term when use as an adjetive is difficult to translate in Spanish as one has to use "of". For example, in the case of "deity activities", in Spanish one has to say "actividades de la deidad" (activities of the deity), which does not translate what the original meaning is. The best solution is to say "divine activities", which may distort the meaning.

I am trying to find the best term. Please, what do you understand by "Deity like" or "of Deity"?

PostPosted:  

Hi Ángel, To me it seems best to use the Spanish rules and simply translate "deity" (small d) as "de la deidad" (small d or capital D?).. So, for example,

"16:3.16 No one of the Seven Spirits is organically representative of the Paradise Trinity, but when they unite as sevenfold Deity, this union in a deity sense—not in a personal sense—equivalates to a functional level associable with Trinity functions."

Might then be translated as:

"16:3.16 Ninguno de los Siete Espíritus es representativo orgánicamente de la Trinidad del Paraíso, pero cuando se unen como Deidad séptuple, esta unión es en un sentido de deidad—no en un sentido personal—equivalente al nivel funcional asociable con las funciones de la Trinidad."

Possibly, "in a deity sense" can also be translated here as "en una deidad sentido" (see Google Translate).. It also seems to me that "divinity" (godliness, holiness) or "devine" (godly, holy) must be translated as "divinidad/devine" and not be used as a synonym for "de la deidad" (of deity)..

PostPosted:  

Yes, "en un sentido de deidad", could be applicable in this specific context, but what does it mean?

PostPosted:  

Angel Francisco wrote:
Yes, "en un sentido de deidad", could be applicable in this specific context, but what does it mean?
Well, The Seven Master Spirits are distinctly and definitely personal (16:3.1), but when they unite, they unite in a deity sense, i.e., not in a personal sense. Such a union equivalates to a functional level associable with Trinity functions, and in this (deity) sense, the “Sevenfold Spirit” is functionally associable with the Paradise Trinity (16:3.16).

Note that Deity is not personal in and of itself. The First Source and Center and Unqualified Absolute are impersonal (0:3.4, 0:3.10, 0:11.7). Thought Adjusters are called prepersonal (0:2.3) and impersonal (2:1.7).. Deity is personalizable as God, but it is prepersonal and superpersonal in ways not altogether comprehensible by man (0:1.2).. O:)

PostPosted:  

Yes, Bart, I see what you mean. It is indeed difficult to grasp conceptually.
Thank you for your explanations.

Ángel