Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

'' Coop,

Well, I can no longer participate in a forum that refers to itself as truth-lover when it extremely exclusionary - so sad. Ultimately we go to our creator for the answers, not a book, not a church, not another human being, not a computer web site.

I do not find open minds and hearts on this site. It is not welcoming. It attacks and pushes away. It is what it is and that is very very sad!

I pray for TUB movement.

Francis Oliver Lynn''

'' I pray for TUB movement.''

So DO I My Brother , So Do I .

But Do Not Expect Errors That You Presented To Be Exposed

IF You Cant Deal With The Truth .

Sincerly Please Dont Let My Opinions

Or The UB Texts Stop You From Participating Here ok

(2088.5) 196:0.10 Jesus brought to God, as a man of the realm, the greatest of all offerings: the consecration and dedication of his own will to the majestic service of doing the divine will. Jesus always and consistently interpreted religion wholly in terms of the Father’s will. When you study the career of the Master, as concerns prayer or any other feature of the religious life, look not so much for what he taught as for what he did. Jesus never prayed as a religious duty. To him prayer was a sincere expression of spiritual attitude, a declaration of soul loyalty, a recital of personal devotion, an expression of thanksgiving, an avoidance of emotional tension, a prevention of conflict, an exaltation of intellection, an ennoblement of desire, a vindication of moral decision, an enrichment of thought, an invigoration of higher inclinations, a consecration of impulse, a clarification of viewpoint, a declaration of faith, a transcendental surrender of will, a sublime assertion of confidence, a revelation of courage, the proclamation of discovery, a confession of supreme devotion, the validation of consecration, a technique for the adjustment of difficulties, and the mighty mobilization of the combined soul powers to withstand all human tendencies toward selfishness, evil, and sin. He lived just such a life of prayerful consecration to the doing of his Father’s will and ended his life triumphantly with just such a prayer. The secret of his unparalleled religious life was this consciousness of the presence of God; and he attained it by intelligent prayer and sincere worship — unbroken communion with God — and not by leadings, voices, visions, or extraordinary religious practices.

Namaste 8)

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Francis Oliver Lynn wrote:
Well, I can no longer participate in a forum that refers to itself as truth-lover when it extremely exclusionary - so sad. …
Hi Francis, The forum rules are really quite simple. You must relate what you say here to TUB. If you think ACIM is compatible with TUB, then show us how. Only suggesting it and then complain that nobody here seems to agree, is (basically) not allowed.

Could you for instance relate this statement from ACIM to TUB?: "God did not make the body, because it is destructible, and therefore not of the Kingdom. The body is the symbol of what you think you are. It is clearly a separation device, and therefore does not exist" (p.97). Note that TUB indeed speaks of (more or less) distinct experiential (time-space), existential, and absolute levels of reality..

And it might be interesting if you could try to relate the following from ACIM to TUB: "I said before that you are the Will of God. His Will is not an idle wish, and your identification with his Will is not optional, since it is what you are. Sharing His Will with me is not really open to choice, though it may seem to be. The whole separation lies in this error. The only way out of the error is to decide that you do not have to decide anything. Everything has been given you by God's decision. That is His Will, and you cannot undo it" (p. 125). Note that according to TUB we do have (limited) free will, and spiritual growth has much to do with our personal decisions and actions.. :)

PostPosted:  

I don't quite know how to approach a response to this thread other than to begin by stating that the tone of this thread sounds quite familiar.

When I try to present the Urantia Book to my Catholic sister-in-law she becomes very fearful of the fact that I would dare to receive my spiritual guidance from anything other than the Bible or books written about the Bible from scholars.

Also, when I try to present the Urantia Book to my co-driver who is a Christian, he too gets fearful for my soul as does anyone within the Organized Institutional Christian community ( with perhaps two exceptions: Unity Church and Baha'i Faith ).

The first thoughts that go through the minds of these Christians is: How do you know that your book is not the work of the devil?

This is what is always voiced as the first and foremost fear....and some of the tone of this thread sounds a lot like that fear.

It is my opinion that we as the Urantia Book community make a fatal error when we dismiss "A Course In Miracles" as a viable religious path, furthermore it is an additional blunder to exclude this community from our community by dismissing or negating them as done here.

A Course In Miracles followers and Conversations With God followers are two of only a few groups of Christians today that would embrace a book that makes the claims the Urantia Book does.

A Course In Miracles reports 2.5 million copies sold in 22 different languages, Conversations With God reports aggregate sales of 7.5 million in 30 different languages.

If we were to include Unity Church and Baha'i Faith members that number grows further. Unity Church reports a million person membership in the USA and the Baha'i faith boasts about 7.5 million members worldwide.

To my knowledge these above Christian Based Factions hold the only hope of a mass acceptance of the Urantia Book as their followers would certainly embrace the revelation as it squares with most of the beliefs of their members.

I do not know if the current administrators of Truthbook, The Urantia Foundation, The UAUS, or the Urantia Book Fellowship have considered this but, I think that to promote the Urantia Book, a wise decision would be to send UB emissaries to these above listed organizations to get involved in their functions. To become part of the small group of new thinking Christians bent on promoting positive planetary change through tolerance and unity is something that I think would be right up our alley too.

I find that the Urantia Book and A Course In Miracles contain similar information. However, taken literally it would be easy to see polarity, and that is due to the fact that the Urantia Book has to be written from our finite perspective for it to be revelatory. ACIM, on the other hand, is a course book that is claiming that, with training, we finite beings can do the impossible (the miraculous), therefore it is written from the level of the "Absolute" hence the absurdity.

The Absolute level is a level unknown/foreign to us and makes no sense from our perspective as it should. Yet, it is the place from which we make our minds ready for the impossible if only temporarily so that the Holy Spirit can work through us to allow the miraculous to occur. We cannot possibly expect to accomplish this through a mind that allows doubt or fear to enter it. This is why ACIM followers seem sometimes to have their "head in the clouds" so to speak....as I too did when working this course.

I believe that the revelation of the Urantia Book is essential for the success of any so-called miracle worker as it gives the student the proper perspective when attempting ACIM. Especially the life and teachings of Jesus part four as faith is discussed at length.

Note that the Urantia Book came to us first, ACIM came decades later.

My path brought me to the Urantia Book from the study of ACIM.
Jesus did not look for differences in matters of religion and in his teachings, he took what his followers already knew and expanded it using similarities. The positive approach.

Sincerely,

~Paul

PostPosted:  

I don't mean to stir the pot, but there are Urantians who take a more favorable view of the Course:

Quote:
ANSWER #1: A Course in Miracles also claims to be transmitted through superhuman sources. However, people with knowledge of both bodies of information feel that the Course focuses on individual healing, personal transformation, and the individual experience of spirituality. While the Urantia Book has much to offer in these areas, it also contains a universal group perspective and gives us a broad picture of the universe we are a part of.

ANSWER #2: A Course in Miracles, like many other revelations of truth that have been given to mankind, offers higher teachings for seekers, but it does not give the Urantia Book’s “big picture” that fits our origin, history and destiny within a universe framework. ACIM focuses on one aspect of God’s amazing plan, and for those who are seeking such knowledge it is a useful tool.
http://www.squarecircles.com/ubcentral/faq/faq17.htm

This is a panel of Urantia Book readers who also read the Course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ0IVMFohQg

I own the Course but I haven't actually read it. I don't like the writing style when compared to the Urantia Book.

PostPosted:  

Read This :wink:

Why A COURSE IN MIRACLES Should Be Rejected
By Philip Eversoul

An article from the Urantian Sojourn, Spring-Summer 1995

Comparing Irreconcilable Teachings

The starting point in approaching ACIM-A purported revelation of pure truth-is to ask who wrote it. It is easy to find that the author clearly implies he is Jesus Christ. He mentions having been crucified (p. 85 text); he asserts he is in charge of the Sonship (p. 5 text) and of the Second Coming. (p.58 text) Having determined the author's claim to be Jesus or-at any rate-an ultimate authority on truth, the conscientious UB reader then seeks to find out how consistent the teaching of ACIM is with that of the UB in general and of Jesus in particular as portrayed in the UB. It should not take long to discover that ACIM is utterly and totally irreconcilable with the UB.

First, ACIM denies the reality of everything under the category that UB readers know as" God the Supreme." ACIM denies the validity-the positive meaning-of time, space, growth, evolution, becoming, progress, levels of understanding, or gradual ascension through the universe. These are not God's ideas. ... :arrow:

http://www.freeurantia.org/acim.htm

PostPosted:  

I've already read that article. My only point is that other Urantians read the Course as well and have a different opinion from yours. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal opinion and experience.

PostPosted:  

Can't overcome the temptation to say this: it seems that there is at least one thing on which brother coop and I totally, utterly and wholeheartedly agree --- and it is the current topic and the attitude towards ACIM vs Urantia Papers.

It makes me rejoice about our diversity of minds --- it seemed to me that there can be absolutely nothing on which coop and I would hold similar opinions, so vehemently we differed in the past on practically every thing that passed on this forum. But, behold, I repeat, on this issue we DO ABSOLUTELY AGREE! :)

PostPosted:  

tigran - what an odd thing to say....I often agree with both of you - coop and you. Hmmm......

As to the CIM - read some of it about the time the UB found me. Can't imagine its attraction to anyone with Big Blue. No offence to the author regarding their experience or intent and any path/book which opens the mind to spirit is a good opening gambit but......there is no comparison. Whenever I meet someone who is truly engaged in CIM, I always give them a UB and simply say...."you might also find this interesting". Each pilgrim must choose their own path. But the UB gives a factual cosmology and circuitry and source and destiny....and the spirit confirms to any who take the time and make the effort.

Yoder - having a UB or reading one or even professing belief in it does not, in and of itself, elevate one's standing in discernment or circle progress. There's some pretty nutty folks with a UB on the bookshelf. Problem is that the Revelation requires much reading, even more study, and life choices experience that takes time and effort. Many only use the UB for confirmations of preconceptions and abandon it or shelve it when they discover any thing that contradicts their pet concepts and belief structure. Time will show the proof in the pudding!

:wink:

PostPosted:  

I think that most cases of disagreement between two sincere humans are due to misunderstanding. And so I believe it is just that --- simple misunderstanding of each other --- that is the cause of our frequent disagreement with coop.

And I don't think it is odd or unnatural that when in the continuous darkness of disagreements there springs forth a beautiful shining light of wholehearted agreement, that I freely and openly expressed my joy to this effect, is it? :)

PostPosted:  

Agreed....should of said how odd it was for me to find so much agreement with both of you on so many other issues, not odd that you agree on this or any topic. Just hadn't caught the history of prior disagreement you mentioned. I meant no insinuation. Here's to fence mending, bridge building, and understanding. Peace.