Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:21 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

To be honest, this all started when I was researching the topic of "Earning a living" in TUB...and I came across this:
Quote:
P1462:3, 132:5.2 But the rich man was not fully satisfied with Jesus' answer. He made bold to ask again: "But what do you think a man in my position should do with his wealth? Should I keep it, or should I give it away?" And when Jesus perceived that he really desired to know more of the truth about his loyalty to God and his duty to men, he further answered: "My good friend, I discern that you are a sincere seeker after wisdom and an honest lover of truth; therefore am I minded to lay before you my view of the solution of your problems having to do with the responsibilities of wealth. I do this because you have asked for my counsel, and in giving you this advice, I am not concerned with the wealth of any other rich man; I am offering advice only to you and for your personal guidance. If you honestly desire to regard your wealth as a trust, if you really wish to become a wise and efficient steward of your accumulated wealth, then would I counsel you to make the following analysis of the sources of your riches: Ask yourself, and do your best to find the honest answer, whence came this wealth? And as a help in the study of the sources of your great fortune, I would suggest that you bear in mind the following ten different methods of amassing material wealth:

"1. Inherited wealth -- riches derived from parents and other ancestors.
"2. Discovered wealth -- riches derived from the uncultivated resources of mother earth.
"3. Trade wealth -- riches obtained as a fair profit in the exchange and barter of material goods.
"4. Unfair wealth -- riches derived from the unfair exploitation or the enslavement of one's fellows.
"5. Interest wealth -- income derived from the fair and just earning possibilities of invested capital.
"6. Genius wealth -- riches accruing from the rewards of the creative and inventive endowments of the human mind.
"7. Accidental wealth -- riches derived from the generosity of one's fellows or taking origin in the circumstances of life.
"8. Stolen wealth -- riches secured by unfairness, dishonesty, theft, or fraud.
"9. Trust funds -- wealth lodged in your hands by your fellows for some specific use, now or in the future.
"10. Earned wealth -- riches derived directly from your own personal labor, the fair and just reward of your own daily efforts of mind and body.

I do realize that some of us are naturally smarter than others, but I am curious, if we tune in our intellects to the TA , " The smartest being existent" , can we borrow or aspire from his intellect to help us become smarter in our daily lives ?

I mean, the natural intellect thing I can't control, but I can control prayer, meditation and tuning in my mind to the power within, for semi-selfish reasons (making a living to start a family) ; so , does the UB indicate any where that this is possible? what are your thoughts on the matter?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Quote:
, for semi-selfish reasons (making a living to start a family) ; so , does the UB indicate any where that this is possible? what are your thoughts on the matter?

Well TUB says that prayer and worship are the best ways to commune with the adjuster. However if you try and do this while thinking selfishly the whole thing backfires lol.

(108:5.6) Do not, therefore, look to the Adjuster for selfish consolation and mortal comfort.

15 - (91:4.1) No prayer can be ethical when the petitioner seeks for selfish advantage over his fellows. Selfish and materialistic praying is incompatible with the ethical religions which are predicated on unselfish and divine love. All such unethical praying reverts to the primitive levels of pseudo magic and is unworthy of advancing civilizations and enlightened religions. Selfish praying transgresses the spirit of all ethics founded on loving justice

16 - (91:4.4) While the nonselfish type of prayer is strengthening and comforting, materialistic praying is destined to bring disappointment and disillusionment as advancing scientific discoveries demonstrate that man lives in a physical universe of law and order. The childhood of an individual or a race is characterized by primitive, selfish, and materialistic praying.

20 - (100:3.4) Meaning is something which experience adds to value; it is the appreciative consciousness of values. An isolated and purely selfish pleasure may connote a virtual devaluation of meanings, a meaningless enjoyment bordering on relative evil. Values are experiential when realities are meaningful and mentally associated, when such relationships are recognized and appreciated by mind.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

First off, don't disregard the power of combinations of these: #s 3, 5, and 10. I don't think genius wealth means anything but those who invent, re-engineer, or like entrepeneurs can match a supply to a demand. The UB does teach (I'm looking) that there is a slipstream or current wherein the loyal tadpole can find less resistance and fewer material obstacles to "manipulation" of the material world for our daily bread and creative expressions in career. Proper motive, intuition, calmness, and purposefulness can improve all outcomes, including material ones. This does not imply riches. But wealth is simply owning more than we owe. Many people accumulate wealth with years + labor + thrift - debt = wealth. Financial security is not for the rich...it is for the prudent given sufficient time and effort. Money can make fools out of anyone, rich and poor alike. Interesting topic.