Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:10 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

When the Urantia Book is compared to other new religious movements of the past hundred years, such as Eckankar, Krishna Consciousness, Scientology, etc., what are the main things that make Urantia stand out? What are some things that would make Urantia especially attractive to spiritual seekers?

I have been reading the Urantia Book for over two years. The depth and scope of the book itself is quite impressive, as are the insights on a multitude of topics. The fact that the individual reader is encouraged to read and interpret this rather amazing text on his own rather than having to follow a guru or hierarchical system really sets it apart for me.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hey Yoder...thanks for the topic. I hope you gather many responses by your questions. I think one distinction is how the UB appeals to so many different seekers in so many ways on so many levels and by so many topics. But there are truth seekers and then, there are truth seekers. Many are disappointed by the requirement that we each must LIVE the truth and not merely have beliefs about truth. That change is required, change that takes time, perseverance, effort, and the laying aside of prejudice. Some seekers prefer priests and gurus and the mystic on the mountain and hope for a miraculous transformation by simple knowledge or association. The UB will disappoint them.

I have found that the one most distinctive teaching in the UB is that there is only one true religion. And each religionist must discover it and live it within. And then there is the truth that each of us is fully encircuited by the Spirit and fully endowed to find God within rather than without. And the most interesting teaching to me is how little value to that personal religious experience is facts or beliefs compared to love and faith. Compelling and unique. So many religions teach by a set of facts and beliefs and practices rather than personalize and individualize the experience of spirit progression. Note the word progression. Another feature of the teachings. That life is a process of learning by error to choose better for better outcomes. There is no magic "switch" or knowledge that makes anyone spiritized. It is processing truth, ever greater truth, to BECOME, rather than to BE. To be saved or to be enlightened is a myth. We must become...more saved and more enlightened....every day by every intent and every choice, we become - either more....or less than before.

Of course, the factual presentation of origins and destiny are great discoveries for the truth seeker and religionist as well. Facts plus truth makes the Revelation a wonderful gift to us who wish to know God and become like Him...each in our own way and in our own time. Those who do not wish to know Him and will not become by better choices will find little to appeal to them. Glad to hear your testimony here and look forward to others. Peace.

PostPosted:  

Yoder777 wrote:
When the Urantia Book is compared to other new religious movements of the past hundred years, such as Eckankar, Krishna Consciousness, Scientology, etc., what are the main things that make Urantia stand out? What are some things that would make Urantia especially attractive to spiritual seekers? …
I think we should not look too much for 'differences'. We should look for concepts/ideas that TUB has in common with other modern religious phylosophies. You mention Krishna Consciousness. Srila Prabhupada promoted bhakti yoga (the path of service); the Gaudiya Vaishnava school of Hinduism is very similar to Christianity.. Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, and all faiths, might be merging into one philosophy; the gospel of Jesus ..
Quote:
94:12.5 Buddhism itself is undergoing a twentieth-century renaissance. Through contact with Christianity the social aspects of Buddhism have been greatly enhanced. The desire to learn has been rekindled in the hearts of the monk priests of the brotherhood, and the spread of education throughout this faith will be certainly provocative of new advances in religious evolution.

94:12.7 All Urantia is waiting for the proclamation of the ennobling message of Michael, unencumbered by the accumulated doctrines and dogmas of nineteen centuries of contact with the religions of evolutionary origin. The hour is striking for presenting to Buddhism, to Christianity, to Hinduism, even to the peoples of all faiths, not the gospel about Jesus, but the living, spiritual reality of the gospel of Jesus.

PostPosted:  

I am fascinated by learning about the origins of the Urantia Book and the possible parallels or contrasts that can be found in the origins of other religions such as the LDS church.