Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:03 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Has anyone noticed similarities between the Book of Mormon promise and what readers of the Urantia Book often say? Please allow me to explain.

In the Book of Mormon, the angel Moroni promises that anyone who comes to the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart and prays to God will receive a confirmation in their heart that the book is true. Mormons often say that if you read the Book of Mormon in its entirety with an open mind, instead of to look for flaws in the text, God will give you the conviction that it's true and that this will be manifested by the spiritual fruits in your life.

Urantia Book readers often say that if you read the Urantia Book with an open mind instead of looking for flaws in the text, and read it in its entirety in order to understand each part in its overall context, that you will receive the conviction of its truth and that it will be manifested by the spiritual fruits in your life.

Like Mormons, Urantians say that the Bible is not the final revelation but that the Spirit of Truth has given us a new revelation and that the Spirit of Truth will provide the testimony inside of us that the revelation is true. Though Mormons and Urantians often provide evidences for the veracity of their sacred text, few of them came to believe it originally based on the evidence. Instead, they read their book with an open mind and it rang the "truth bells" within.

Basically, what I am trying to get at is this: If Urantians and Mormons often say the same things about how one comes to believe in their favored text, how can we be sure that the Urantia Book is any more valid as a new revelation than the Book of Mormon? Some Urantia Book readers of Mormon background even believe that the Urantia Book is the "greater record to time" as prophecized by the Book of Mormo

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Yoder asks: [Quote}If Urantians and Mormons often say the same things about how one comes to believe in their favored text, how can we be sure that the Urantia Book is any more valid as a new revelation than the Book of Mormon?[/quote]

Yoder, what do you say? Answer this for us. It is time to stop asking questions and start finding answers, don't you think? Asking questions and finding answers are two sides of the same process. If you only ask questions you are like the ones referred to in the Bible as "always searching but never coming to a knowledge of the truth".

Dig deep and make this decision.

Blessings

Jim

PostPosted:  

I personally believe the Urantia Book is true but I can't say the same for the Book of Mormon, especially since I haven't read it. If we weren't the kind of people to ask questions, we probably wouldn't have started reading the Urantia Book in the first place.

PostPosted:  

Brother Yoder,

The answer to your question lies in your last post. You admitted you have not read the Book of Mormon and you are trying to compare it with the UB. Then read it too, my friend. You will find the answer you are looking for. I have read the Book of Mormon a long time ago and if I remember correctly, it purports that the American Indians originated from two groups from the Middle east coming to America by wooden submarines about 2000 and 600 years BC. In the UB, the American Indians today are the descendants of the red people who came from Asia to America by way of the Bearing Strait which is more compatible with current world history. So two versions of history can not be both true.

PostPosted:  

Just for the sake of curiosity, are you familiar with the limited geography view on the Book of Mormon in relation to the native americans?

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Just for the sake of curiosity, are you familiar with the limited geography view on the Book of Mormon in relation to the native americans?

No, I'm not. What and how is that?

PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm not. What and how is that?

A limited geography model for the Book of Mormon is one of several theories by Latter Day Saint movement scholars that the book's narrative was a historical record of people in a limited geographical region, rather than of the entire Western Hemisphere as believed by some early Latter Day Saints.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_geography_model

PostPosted:  

When I read the Book of Mormon, I did not feel that the setting of the story was limited only to a small geographic area. What I understood is that it includes the whole North and South American continents. Right now, I think that theory of limited geography is ridiculous. These people in the story lived in America for hundreds and hundreds of years, even thousands for the first group and they only confined themselves to a very small area? Whereas they were able to travel across the wide ocean? That's nonsense to me.

PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
When I read the Book of Mormon, I did not feel that the setting of the story was limited only to a small geographic area. What I understood is that it includes the whole North and South American continents. Right now, I think that theory of limited geography is ridiculous. These people in the story lived in America for hundreds and hundreds of years, even thousands for the first group and they only confined themselves to a very small area? Whereas they were able to travel across the wide ocean? That's nonsense to me.

I think this is a matter worth pursuing, if one is so interested:

Quote:
Critics of the Book of Mormon frequently take the position that the New World events related in the Nephite record must be read as taking place on a stage consisting of the entire Western Hemisphere. This allows them to treat the scripture as though it purported to be a history of the American Indian. Their arguments about the supposed factual inaccuracy of the sacred record rest heavily on this claimed geography. But what the book actually says contradicts the idea that two entire continents were involved in the story. Although early Latter-day Saints assumed a hemispheric setting (and some church members today still hold that view), the record actually describes a setting where the people were limited in numbers and the lands they occupied were restricted in scale. Yet the issue touches more than geography alone; the entrained question is one of demography and descent. Were there other populations present in the Americas who were not exclusively descended from Lehi's party? We treat both issues below.
http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publica ... m=1&id=305

I have no stake in the matter of whether the Book of Mormon is historically accurate. My only point was that Urantians and Mormons often use the same kind of explanations of why they believe in their favored text.

PostPosted:  

That is not exactly true, Yoder. I was once a Mormon during my process of searching for truth. At the time when I was reading the Book of Mormon, it was the one nearest to the truth in my consideration. I was actually baptized into the church. But I still had so many questions so I kept searching. When I found and read the Urantia Book, it was the biggest leap in my search. I felt I have finally found what I was searching for. I can't compare it to any other book now, not even the Book of Mormon. To me, the UB is the real thing. If you really want to know what I mean, go ahead and read the Book of Mormon too.

PostPosted:  

Been to Temple myself back in the day. Yoder gives many untrue and unsubstantiated opinions about things he knows little enough about. The UB is revelation. The bible inspired. The BOM is a translation of an inspired book (allegedly). Celestials authored the UB. Know of any other?

PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
That is not exactly true, Yoder. I was once a Mormon during my process of searching for truth. At the time when I was reading the Book of Mormon, it was the one nearest to the truth in my consideration. I was actually baptized into the church. But I still had so many questions so I kept searching. When I found and read the Urantia Book, it was the biggest leap in my search. I felt I have finally found what I was searching for. I can't compare it to any other book now, not even the Book of Mormon. To me, the UB is the real thing. If you really want to know what I mean, go ahead and read the Book of Mormon too.

I am not comparing the content of the Book of Mormon to the Urantia Book, I am only comparing the reasoning or explanations that Urantians and Mormons have for why they believe in their favored text. There are some interesting similarities between the two books, but that is not what I am discussing at this time.

One of the most common explanations I've heard for why people came to believe in the Urantia Book is that it rang their "truth bells," which, like the Book of Mormon promise, explains a personal subjective experience. People have come to believe in the Bible, the Koran, the Bhagavad Gita, etc. based on a personal subjective experience as well, before any possible evidence confirmed that person's belief.

I think we should be honest about how and why we came to personally believe in the Urantia Book, which doesn't in any way detract from the book itself as a revelation. This should be pretty simple to understand and I am sorry if I haven't come across clearly enough.

Last edited by Yoder777 on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:17 pm +0000, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
Been to Temple myself back in the day. Yoder gives many untrue and unsubstantiated opinions about things he knows little enough about. The UB is revelation. The bible inspired. The BOM is a translation of an inspired book (allegedly). Celestials authored the UB. Know of any other?

I am not comparing the content of the Book of Mormon to the Urantia Book, I am only comparing the reasoning or explanations that Urantians and Mormons have for why they believe in their favored text.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
I am not comparing the content of the Book of Mormon to the Urantia Book, I am only comparing the reasoning or explanations that Urantians and Mormons have for why they believe in their favored text.

I'm just curious, brother Yoder. Why do you need to do the comparison?

PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
Quote:

I'm just curious, brother Yoder. Why do you need to do the comparison?

To be honest, I was judgmental of Mormons and their beliefs before I started reading the Urantia Book and later I realized that I don't have a right to judge, especially since I read the Urantia Book for the same reasons they read the Book of Mormon.