Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:40 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Sports and the u.b.
PostPosted:  

This is a subject that has really influenced me my whole life. I was a college baseball pitcher only for one year ( I quit do to being home sick, and living in a rough neighbourhood). I think the desire to be really good at sports at times took over my life and was a distraction to me entering the kingdom. I think even today when I play rec sports I enjoy being the best on the field, and I will even train on my days off to be good at whatever sport I am playing (not a good habit). I am wondering at what point does this desire to be good at something whether its sports or whatever become a hindrance. In my case I think it was especially bad because I loved the attention, and I still enjoy the attention even playing rec sports lol as bad as that is. Its somethign that I have tried so hard to work on though and being 27 and not as good at sports as I once was its easier to let these things go more and more, but it was definitely a distraction for me growing up. Sometimes I kick myself for quitting baseball so early only at 18 especially considering I could throw 90 mph. But in hindsight I know I was to short to be in the mlb anyways hahah I am 5'9. 5'9 pitchers don't get in unless they through 95+. Which would have required me taking roids hahah.

Another thing about sports that I don't like is that we are almost brainwashed to look at pro athletes as heroes and better then everyone else. I feel like I was brainwashed as a kid into looking at these people as though they are pedestals. Being good at sports should be way down on the totem pole as far as importance. I will take being a Cosmic Citizen over that anyday, and I doubt had I stayed with baseball that I would have taken up the u.b the way I did, I sort of replaced sports with the urantia book at that age.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Sports and the u.b.
PostPosted:  

(51.12) 3:5.13 8. Is unselfishness — the spirit of self-forgetfulness — desirable? Then must mortal man live face to face with the incessant clamoring of an inescapable self for recognition and honor. Man could not dynamically choose the divine life if there were no self-life to forsake. Man could never lay saving hold on righteousness if there were no potential evil to exalt and differentiate the good by contrast.

Do you think you made the right choice?

~Paul

Post subject: Re: Sports and the u.b.
PostPosted:  

Yea, for many reasons. I was not good enough to go very far so it would have been over sooner rather then later anyways. And it was good to move on to living a more unselfish life.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing