Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:46 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Currently, I am attending a weekly CHRISTIAN study group in a Latin Catholic Church. The thing about the priests within this particular church is that they preach a Christianity, a FAITH, which is free from dogma (to a certain extent) and with the prime concentration on one's own spiritual experience with father and Jesus. They keep getting criticisms from neighboring churches about this method as to be expected, but to me, it is the closest christian organization in my vicinity to what the UB teaches. And I have been part of this group for almost 3 years, i came to know of the UB about 2 years ago.

The priest who acts as head of these study groups asked me if i was interested in becoming a priest one day.
I resented the idea the minute he presented it, simply because i don't like to be restrained and be told what to think and do and say when it comes to my spiritual experiences (which of course,goes without saying for any Urantia believer), although this church is extremely liberal compared to others, still, there will be some degree of dogmatization to be expected.

However, as i am giving it much thought, it lead me to think, what if a UB believer actually infiltrated unto the church , and planted the seed of the UB there indirectly, discretely, using the UB concepts only with different vocabulary, you know, simply with a twist of SHREWDNESS into the mix, withholding a few details here and there and mentioning only that which is necessary to take the church from the religion about Jesus , into the religion focused on the teachings and truths of Jesus (just like the UB states).

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Quote:
Currently, I am attending a weekly CHRISTIAN study group in a Latin Catholic Church. The thing about the priests within this particular church is that they preach a Christianity, a FAITH, which is free from dogma (to a certain extent) and with the prime concentration on one's own spiritual experience with father and Jesus. They keep getting criticisms from neighboring churches about this method as to be expected, but to me, it is the closest christian organization in my vicinity to what the UB teaches. And I have been part of this group for almost 3 years, i came to know of the UB about 2 years ago.

The priest who acts as head of these study groups asked me if i was interested in becoming a priest one day.
I resented the idea the minute he presented it, simply because i don't like to be restrained and be told what to think and do and say when it comes to my spiritual experiences (which of course,goes without saying for any Urantia believer), although this church is extremely liberal compared to others, still, there will be some degree of dogmatization to be expected.

However, as i am giving it much thought, it lead me to think, what if a UB believer actually infiltrated unto the church , and planted the seed of the UB there indirectly, discretely, using the UB concepts only with different vocabulary, you know, simply with a twist of SHREWDNESS into the mix, withholding a few details here and there and mentioning only that which is necessary to take the church from the religion about Jesus , into the religion focused on the teachings and truths of Jesus (just like the UB states).

We actually had this very discussion in our last study session!!!! (Life and teachings of Jesus part 3) I believe.

Basically the consesus was that if you try and seed someone with little snipets of the urantia book through something like church ministry, people are really clever and they are going to look up what you are trying to do (they will take your little "gems" and google them" and than once they see you have taken info from the urantia book there is going to be a mess on your hands haha. Its only a matter of time hahah.

Of coarse that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, just the better approach is to take the 5th revelation and the 4th and co-ordinate all of that stuff. Because the revelations in the urantia book are just as great if not greater than what Jesus revealed.

Anyway you should listen to our last broadcast it will really help you. Chris talked about this for about 45 minutes :).

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Mark wrote:
Quote:

I think that is a very good idea and opportunity. I don't think "there is going to be a mess on your hands" even if the listener found out the concepts are taken from the Urantia book. It could instead lead the real truthseeker in them into finding the Urantia Book and its truths.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
We actually had this very discussion in our last study session!!!! (Life and teachings of Jesus part 3) I believe.

hmm..interesting, although I am not a fan of skipping episodes, i think i will make an exception for this one :D, Thanks for the info boom :)

Quote:

I think that is a very good idea and opportunity. I don't think "there is going to be a mess on your hands" even if the listener found out the concepts are taken from the Urantia book. It could instead lead the real truthseeker in them into finding the Urantia Book and its truths.

I couldn't agree more, I mean , just think about the possibilities, I don't have to mention the several creator sons, or the real nature of the mother spirit, but maybe one can impart techniques of approaching divinity , for example the real efficacy of prayer, its real implications, what it really does, how one should really do it, just mentioning those teachings and others like it as simple theories, to feed the hungry souls gathered in church to hear the word of God, plant that seed, and let the TA do the rest with them, I see those possibilities.

Even now, in the study group i have with this community(The One in church i mentioned earlier), even if its a study group revolved around the Old Testament and the New One, i have often times found myself attracted to a certain phrase that really resonates with the teachings of the UB, and commenting about it, and making important note of it.

I think its very important for us to involve ourselves with different religious groups, just today , i was listening to a broadcast on symmetry of soul,(Jan 11 , 2011 in particular) and the hosts mentioned "the importance of being involved in religious communities and bringing in those Unifying UB teachings into the picture"(paraphrasing), and i agree with this point of view ,perhaps adding in a comment here and there, discretely, without making offense to any religion or point of view, but enough to get the mind to seek and wonder, to CHALLENGE the already established beliefs therewith, to encourage them to move forward and grow :)

PostPosted:  

Often time and being one of the leader in this church, i would expound certain points and having UB as my 'secret' source.
What i discover is that, the true seekers would ask of me about it, and i would plainly tell them the source; to most, it would be just another good teaching. So far, most of those who inquire are inquisitive members; for they would commented that they like my approach and points of the topic taught/discussed. As for the leaders, i strongly suspect that they knew that i know something; or maybe they themselves too? they had been quite. I did mentioned certain things and points in our discussions among them leaders, especially when '...stuck and other explanations must be there for it....' situations arises; but as mention by some members here, i did sensed too that there are among them who keeps an eye on me, but i do not care because i am ready with whatever result they presented me, which i know is very unlikely because a lot many of our international leaders, i strongly sensed, are having what i have. From the way they teach and preach, we UB members just knew! There was this one time that i declare myself to be a faithful but questioning member of the church. Faithful because unlike other common churches, they taught similar to what is by UB; questioning because of the dogmas and certain rites they imposed upon themselves, of which IMO,is necessary in this moment and time, but which i know itself is not an ultimate truth.

These strengthened me more about the belief in a God and the need to subject and do His will; and generally, this is christianity; even if today it is a religion about Him and not of Him, i still think that it is of a better choice among them.

PostPosted:  

babuk wrote:
Often time and being one of the leader in this church, i would expound certain points and having UB as my 'secret' source.
What i discover is that, the true seekers would ask of me about it, and i would plainly tell them the source; to most, it would be just another good teaching. So far, most of those who inquire are inquisitive members; for they would commented that they like my approach and points of the topic taught/discussed. As for the leaders, i strongly suspect that they knew that i know something; or maybe they themselves too? they had been quite. I did mentioned certain things and points in our discussions among them leaders, especially when '...stuck and other explanations must be there for it....' situations arises; but as mention by some members here, i did sensed too that there are among them who keeps an eye on me, but i do not care because i am ready with whatever result they presented me, which i know is very unlikely because a lot many of our international leaders, i strongly sensed, are having what i have. From the way they teach and preach, we UB members just knew! There was this one time that i declare myself to be a faithful but questioning member of the church. Faithful because unlike other common churches, they taught similar to what is by UB; questioning because of the dogmas and certain rites they imposed upon themselves, of which IMO,is necessary in this moment and time, but which i know itself is not an ultimate truth.

These strengthened me more about the belief in a God and the need to subject and do His will; and generally, this is christianity; even if today it is a religion about Him and not of Him, i still think that it is of a better choice among them.

In resonance to what you are saying here, I am also having a similar experience, (If I understood you correctly) , for this certain church that i mentioned (being much more liberal than others) , has Liberal priests , with liberal teachings, to the point where they actually SHOCK me with some of the truths that they come up with , as an interpretation of a parable, or a passage in the Bible.
As a result, I actually started doubting whether they know of the UB or not, but i only enterntained such unsupported notion for a short while, only to consort to the idea that it is the divine holy spirit that is in play here, and the numerous other spiritual influences, they are the ones that are doing there best with the situation in hand, pouring out truth whenever they get the chance to.

If a priest decided to DEDICATE time to think over a passage to better interpret it for others, and thus, in his meditative state, open widely the channels of spiritual outpouring for his mind, much , VERY Much , of the new truth , can be poured out upon them, and unto the people in turn..

So its like, we already have unseen ministers within the church , working there way in, and pouring out truth discretely, drop by drop , to the truth seekers and teachers within any sincere god loving-man serving religious group.

BTW, let me get this straight, are you saying that rite now , you are a minister , and within a church ?!? :shock:

PostPosted:  

Firstly, you understood me correctly.

And yes, a minister in a church.

PostPosted:  

Aloha...Dr. Meredith Sprunger was a Minister in the United Church of Christ for many many years...here is a link to some of his story. I had the pleasure of meeting him and sit in on one of his talks :)

http://www.urantia.org/news/2012-06/mer ... nger-story