Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:13 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I have noticed that TUB says little about the topic of swearing or cursing. I am of course referring to this swearing:
Quote:
1swear
verb \ˈswer\
swore sworn swear·ing
Definition of SWEAR
intransitive verb
2: to use profane or obscene language : curse

so as not to be confused with swearing as in taking an oath.

I have to admit, before reading the UB, it wasn't a problem whether it was good or bad, it was simply NOT Okay to swear, because Jesus said so in the New Testament. Here:
Quote:
http://www.yahshuarevealed.org/Home/sermons/exposition-of-mark-7-7-23
Mark 7:18 And He said to them, "Are you so lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that whatever goes into the man from outside cannot defile him;

Mark 7:19 because it does not go into his heart, but into his stomach, and is eliminated?" (Thus He declared all foods clean.)

Mark 7:20 And He was saying, "That which proceeds out of the man, that is what defiles the man.

Mark 7:21 "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries,

Mark 7:22 deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness.

Mark 7:23 "All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man."
(NASB)

Quote:
slan·der [slándər]
noun (plural slan·ders)
1. saying of something false and damaging: the act or offense of saying something false or malicious that damages somebody's reputation
2. false and damaging statement: a false and malicious statement that damages somebody's reputation

transitive verb (past and past participle slan·dered, present participle slan·der·ing, 3rd person present singular slan·ders)
utter slander against somebody: to make a false and malicious oral statement about somebody

And so, when I asked myself, WHY exactly is it bad ? How exactly does swearing DEFILE me ? I Came up with a couple of reasonings that made me believe this teaching and live my life accordingly.

Swearing is bad, because it charges the spirit with negative feelings, it comes FROM negative energies and emotions which are ultimately NOT, and WILL NEVER be of any benefit to my Soul Growth ! If anything, it wouldn't bring me closer to God and Love, it would drive me away from that Inner indwelling ;which his will I am supposed to follow.

I still view swearing as a sign of weakness, as a sign that my spiritual nature is not the dominating one , it is a measure of my lack of self-control, and a measure of how far i am from letting the TA lead me to ever closer stages to our fusion.

My question to you fellow UB readers and believers is:

Where do you stand when it comes to swearing ? What do you think of it ? What would you teach your kids about it ? Is it bad? Okay? Good? Frowned Upon? And how come the revelators refrained from addressing this topic directly?

Looking forward to hearing from you .

Good Journey
Your Brother Mark,

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Another way to ask the question :
If I swear on a regular basis, would that hamper my spiritual progress?! Does that have anything to do with my spiritual journey Godward/Inward?!

PostPosted:  

Hi Mark, good question.

For me, I put swearing in the same boat as how much alcohol is ok to drink, how much money to give to charity, whether to smack my kids, and whether to eat eggs that aren't free range :-) I should take responsibility for myself on all these issues, but it's not for me to judge others. I'm glad that the Urantia Book isn't prescriptive on the religious-social-cultural-moral issues that our generation faces.

Interested in hearing others' views...

kiwi

PostPosted:  

The revelators stated: "Impatience is a spirit poison; anger is like a stone hurled into a hornet’s nest." (48:7.20) Thus, as far as swearing is related to impatience and/or anger, swearing doesn’t seem to be a good thing..

PostPosted:  

kiwi2 wrote:
Hi Mark, good question.

For me, I put swearing in the same boat as how much alcohol is ok to drink, how much money to give to charity, whether to smack my kids, and whether to eat eggs that aren't free range :-) I should take responsibility for myself on all these issues, but it's not for me to judge others. I'm glad that the Urantia Book isn't prescriptive on the religious-social-cultural-moral issues that our generation faces.

Interested in hearing others' views...

kiwi

Interesting, very interesting, it really made me think of all those issues you listed, especially the " how much money one gives to charity" , it has been something that I invested much thought into, unfortunately, i didn't come up with a satisying answer yet, i would love to hear your opinion on those matters if you dont mind.
So, how exactly do you view swearing, you, personaly!? Do you think it hampers one's spiritual progress?! Or is it independent of it?
And why do you think TUB didn't focus on these matters? I have my own theories , but I would love to hear the views of others first! :)

Last edited by kicoverz on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Bart wrote:
The revelators stated: "Impatience is a spirit poison; anger is like a stone hurled into a hornet’s nest." (48:7.20) Thus, as far as swearing is related to impatience and/or anger, swearing doesn’t seem to be a good thing..

Hmm, Nice link!
So ,swearing IS ultimately related to the expression of anger, which is true in most cases I guess ( the exception would be those people who swear so much in their daily life that it got to the point where it is the same as ordinary speach)
Now, lets say my kid cut his finger by mistake, and he has options to express his anger, either he yells "Ouch" or "F***" !
Would you teach the kid that its ok to express the anger with the "Ouch" but it is not ok to express it with the "swear", and WHY ? Here's where my real Question lies, the moral/educational part of it! And how would one explain it to others...How would you explain "why not to" ?

PostPosted:  

kicoverz wrote:
Bart wrote:

Hmm, Nice link!
So ,swearing IS ultimately related to the expression of anger, which is true in most cases I guess ( the exception would be those people who swear so much in their daily life that it got to the point where it is the same as ordinary speach)
Now, lets say my kid cut his finger by mistake, and he has options to express his anger, either he yells "Ouch" or "F***" !
Would you teach the kid that its ok to express the anger with the "Ouch" but it is not ok to express it with the "swear", and WHY ? Here's where my real Question lies, the moral/educational part of it! And how would one explain it to others...How would you explain "why not to" ?

I wouldn't worry about swearing so much as the motive behind swearing.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

In my society (ethnic Bidayuh of Borneo,Dyak sub-group); cursing, in any forms, is frown upon can even be considered a taboo.
reason: 1. it reflects a person of no control and poor behavior//upbringing/shame
2. a person of 'dirty' spirit/immature spirit
3. cusring is only use when angry or quarrelling (otherwise, whay swear when you dont have too? thgere are so many other words to use!)
4. the fear of sinning/God.

But thats just me and my society.

God bless,

PostPosted:  

As I read through your posts, and as i reflected some more on the topic, i came to realize something:

Like brother Boom said, motives are what's really important behind a swear, and like Brother Bart stated, Impatience and Anger are what most likely to come before the act of swearing, hence , the lack of self control (which Brother Babuk also mentioned.)

But then , it gets me thinking, If swearing is simply an expression of anger, which comes from countless reasons (dissatisfaction from a situation, a disappointment , direct physical pain, or emotional one, etc... ) ; Then, technically speaking, swearing is the same as punching a wall , or kicking a rock on the ground, no!? All of those are expressions of anger, but then, why is it that, if my kid KICKED a rock on the ground its OKAY, but if he said the F word out loud its frowned upon ? :wink: Is not lack of self control the cause of both actions ? Then i guess i should deal with both cases the same, if he swears or punches a wall or any other form of anger expression, i should tell him to simply "Restrain yourslef" ?! :wink:
Hardly... i would sound like a drill sergeant , Don't want that !:S

It must be a cultural thing, something we inherited from the previous moral codes that dominated previous generations (Not too far back though and of course, some cultures still have it, like the case with Babuk's origin) , and hence, it still lingers in our planet's society.

But then again, how should we Urantians see it ? Where would we stand on the topic if addressed by non-Urantians!? Indifferent !? No Comment !? Because, as far as i see it, Jesus taught Andrew that the way to self control is not through suppression or restraint, it is through Spirit-Building !

So i guess for now, If asked about swearing, my attitude would be:

" Its okay to swear, swearing is a mere expression of anger and a signal of lack of self control and agitation in the intellect , while it is Ok , it is BETTER to avoid it, and to cultivate your intellectual state of mind in a more peaceful and positive indwelling, one which does not bring about negative feelings in you, so as to make you sharper, and with a more stabilized and well poised intellect and personality; which in turn will help you deal more efficiently with your daily challenges/Problems , after all , which opinion would you trust more, that which is coming from an angry person, or that which is coming from a well poised one ?! 8)

What do you guys think ?! How would you respond to the question of swearing if asked by a Non-Urantian :wink:

PostPosted:  

Who would be NON-URANTIAN? Aren't we all urantians or citizens of Urantia? Or citizens of Earth? Do you mean Urantia Book reader?

PostPosted:  

To me swearing or cursing is ugly. I don't see beauty in it so it is not an action that leads to divinity.

PostPosted:  

YSMAEL wrote:
Who would be NON-URANTIAN? Aren't we all urantians or citizens of Urantia? Or citizens of Earth? Do you mean Urantia Book reader?

Yup!!, Urantia Book Readers , sorry for not clearing that out :biggrin:

PostPosted:  

IMO, there are: habitual swearing; reactive cursing(like when you hurt yourself kicking a stone) frustration-directed curses;

Intent, causes and reasons for cursing can all be justify, but the spirit is still the same...when was a curse good word like..'ouch, it hurts! love you stone", mostly what i did was ."aoww! wat da..f@@#$K.." Nothing is good about hibitual displayed cursing, it only reflects upon the individual.

our temporal phsyical perspective may accept and finds that reactive and frustration-directed curses helps and gave relieves to certain condition in life; and it did!; but we are not sure of the spiritual implications and effects.

culture is dynamic and changing; the more modern,progressive and independent a society becomes, the likelyhood is that, the more confident and free are they with their inner/individual expressions, including cursing and swearing.

but i must admit sometimes it feels good/relieve after throwing a frustration-induced -swearing! sometimes you even chuckled after realising the foolishness of it all!; it has its own funny side as well!

Dont get me wrong here,am not for cursing!24%#!

PostPosted:  

Quote:
'ouch, it hurts! love you stone"
:lol: This actually made me laugh, I love your sense of Humor :lol:

Quote:
our temporal phsyical perspective may accept and finds that reactive and frustration-directed curses helps and gave relieves to certain condition in life; and it did!; but we are not sure of the spiritual implications and effects.

I completely agree with you on this one

Quote:
but i must admit sometimes it feels good/relieve after throwing a frustration-induced -swearing! sometimes you even chuckled after realising the foolishness of it all!; it has its own funny side as well!

True, this is very interesting, in my dark hours, i still hear my self saying these curses in moments of frustration and anger, although very rarely out load, Just in my head , I simply hate hearing my self say them (like Brother Ysmael said, it just presents UGLINESS ) , but YA, they do have that certain "BLOW OFF STEAM" effect, and i wonder why ?! I Really do ? What is it about us that makes us want to do that, even if there was no one around to hear out our expression !? and better yet, why does it actually work sometimes :-s ? lol, Yes, indeed, it is funny when looked at in retrospect ! :wink: