Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:08 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

"Holy" is a term with many meanings, yet it is often equated with sanctimonious. I don't intend to use that common meaning in this thread. Instead, I'd like to talk about the term holy as a spiritual quality. Here's a definition of holiness from the Jewish Encyclopedia:

Quote:

Unapproachableness; the state of separation from, and elevation above, things common, profane, or sensual, first in a physical and external, and later in a spiritual, sense; moral purity and perfection incapable of sin and wrong.

All things become "holy" that are excluded from common or profane use ("ḥol"; I Sam. xxi. 5) by being connected with the worship of God: (1) The places in which God is supposed to dwell or where He appeared (Ex. iii. 5; Josh. v. 15; Deut. xxiii. 15; II Chron. viii. 11); hence, every sanctuary ("miḳdash," Ex. xxv. 8, or "ḳodesh," Ex. xxviii. 29; Ezek. xlii. 20), and every part of the sanctuary, and every vessel used therein (Ex. xxvi. 33; I Sam. xxi. 6; Ezek. xlii. 13; Num. iii. 31). Such a place with its site was marked off as holy (Ex. xix. 23; Ezek. xlv. 1). The hill of the Temple (Isa. xi. 9 and elsewhere) became "the holy hill"; Jerusalem, "the holy city" (Ps. xlvi. 5; Zeph. iii. 11; Isa. xlviii. 2); and Palestine, "the holy land" (Zech. ii. 16; comp. Hosea ix. 3-4). God's heavenly habitation, "the seat of His holiness," is holy, because of His unapproachable (fiery) majesty (Micah i. 2; Hab. ii. 20; and elsewhere); so, likewise, is "the throne of His holiness" (Ps. xlvii. 9; comp. Ezek. xxviii. 14: "the fiery mountain of the [heathen] gods").

(2) All the things consecrated or brought as sacrifices to God (Ex. xxviii. 38, xxx. 35, xxxvi. 6; I Sam. xxi. 5; Num. xviii. 17, 32; Lev. x. 10; Zech. xiv. 20), and whatever is used in worshiping in the sanctuary (Ex. xxviii. 2 et seq.; xxx. 25, 35). These things are not holy in themselves, but "holy unto the Lord" (Ex. xxviii. 36, xxx. 37; Lev. xix. 8, xxiii. 20; and elsewhere); that is, their relation to the divinity renders them holy; and in accordance with their more or less close external or internal relationship to God and His dwelling-place they are differentiated in their degree of holiness, as "holy," or "holy of holies" (Ex. xxvi. 33; xxx. 10, 29, 36; Lev. xvi. 33; and elsewhere).

(3) All persons "separated" from the rest of mankind to serve God or serve in the sanctuary of God. The priest is "holy unto God" (Lev. xxi. 6, 7), and Aaron, being separated from the rest of the Levites, is called "holy of holies" (I Chron. xxiii. 13 [A. V. incorrect]); so also are the Nazarite (Num. vi. 5) and the prophet (II Kings iv. 9).

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/artic ... 5-holiness

I might disagree with a term or idea in this above definition, but the overall idea of holiness is shared in all the world religions. Is the Urantia Book holy? Does reading the Urantia Book and following its teachings elevate one's spirit while protecting it against evil? And if so, is the book itself holy, just as the Bible is described as holy or the Ark of the Covenant is described as holy? Please forgive me if I am being too vague in the way I ask these questions.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I would say that it is a new set of assumptions to work with. I wouldn't consider a book holy. Though the truths contained when discovered may elicit an experience with the whole or holy.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Does reading the Urantia Book and applying its teachings to one's life lead to holiness? Does following its teachings protect oneself against evil? And does the book itself have authority from God that something holy would have? For example, would you place your hand on the Urantia Book in a court of law and it would mean more than just any other book?

PostPosted:  

In my opinion, the answer to your questions depends on the individual who read the book. You can answer those questions yourself after reading the entire book.

PostPosted:  

Is holiness an important part of life?

(1104.6) 101:1.3 The divine spirit makes contact with mortal man, not by feelings or emotions, but in the realm of the highest and most spiritualized thinking. It is your thoughts, not your feelings, that lead you Godward. The divine nature may be perceived only with the eyes of the mind. But the mind that really discerns God, hears the indwelling Adjuster, is the pure mind. “Without holiness no man may see the Lord.” All such inner and spiritual communion is termed spiritual insight. Such religious experiences result from the impress made upon the mind of man by the combined operations of the Adjuster and the Spirit of Truth as they function amid and upon the ideas, ideals, insights, and spirit strivings of the evolving sons of God.

If without holiness, men will not see God, what is holiness, how do we attain it, and what relationship does the Urantia Book have to holiness?

PostPosted:  

This is how I understand the passage. Holiness is having spiritualized thinking or spiritual insight. If by reading and believing the teachings of the UB helps open the eye of your mind to perceive your divine nature, or helps you perceive truth, manifest beauty and practice goodness in your life, then you are becoming holy - a truly faith son of God.

PostPosted:  

The Holy Spirit will help your thoughts become holy. You have to progress a little bit to be able to form a relationship to the "whole". IMO holy is related to the whole.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boomshuka wrote:
The Holy Spirit will help your thoughts become holy. You have to progress a little bit to be able to form a relationship to the "whole". IMO holy is related to the whole.

YSMAEL wrote:
This is how I understand the passage. Holiness is having spiritualized thinking or spiritual insight. If by reading and believing the teachings of the UB helps open the eye of your mind to perceive your divine nature, or helps you perceive truth, manifest beauty and practice goodness in your life, then you are becoming holy - a truly faith son of God.

Thanks, guys, for helping to clear things up. Another important question is whether you'd be offended by people burning the Urantia Book, just as a Christian might be offended by the burning of the Bible. And would you swear on the Urantia Book in a court of law?

If the Urantia Book is what it claims to be, then it is a "holy" or "sacred" text, based on the fact that it contains the precious words of Jesus on how we may attain eternal life.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for helping to clear things up. Another important question is whether you'd be offended by people burning the Urantia Book, just as a Christian might be offended by the burning of the Bible. And would you swear on the Urantia Book in a court of law?

If the Urantia Book is what it claims to be, then it is a "holy" or "sacred" text, based on the fact that it contains the precious words of Jesus on how we may attain eternal life.

No I wouldn't be offended if people burned the book. I would just feel sorry for them.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Neither will I be offended. They can buy thousand copies of the book and burn them all they want, they are just wasting their money. They can't burn the electronic copy. :lol:

PostPosted:  

On second thought, they can burn the electronic copy...to a CD. :razz:

PostPosted:  

Would you swear on it in a court of law?

PostPosted:  

88.2.8 The practice of opening one of these sacred books to let the eye chance upon a passage, the following of which may determine important life decisions or projects, is nothing more nor less than arrant fetishism. To take an oath on a "holy book" or to swear by some object of supreme veneration is a form of refined fetishism.

PostPosted:  

“Chanting is no more holy than listening to the murmur of a stream,

counting prayer beads no more scared than simply breathing,

religious robes no more spiritual than work clothes.”

Lao Tzu

PostPosted:  

I always thought Holy was associated with or meant for sacraments, consecrations, and rites. UBook does not have any of those so how could it be considered Holy, unless we're redefining the word Holy.