Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:16 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

tootsie wrote:
That's good new but what does Rome say?..............I know change happens slowly and the church surely has some changes at their doorstep... God is LoVe :wink:

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Quote:
1992 Justification has been merited for us by the Passion of Christ who offered himself on the cross as a living victim, holy and pleasing to God, and whose blood has become the instrument of atonement for the sins of all men. Justification is conferred in Baptism, the sacrament of faith. It conforms us to the righteousness of God, who makes us inwardly just by the power of his mercy. Its purpose is the glory of God and of Christ, and the gift of eternal life:40

But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law, although the law and the prophets bear witness to it, the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins; it was to prove at the present time that he himself is righteous and that he justifies him who has faith in Jesus.41

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

That does not equate to being offered to appease the wrath of an angry God.

PostPosted:  

Yoder777 wrote:
I have heard from the mouth of any priest that Jesus was offered up to appease the wrath of an angry God. That's really more of a Protestant fundamentalist idea.

Correct. The Catechism defines atonement in terms of expiation, not appeasement.

The UB, of course, rejects both.

PostPosted:  

ubizmo wrote:
Yoder777 wrote:
I have heard from the mouth of any priest that Jesus was offered up to appease the wrath of an angry God. That's really more of a Protestant fundamentalist idea.

Correct. The Catechism defines atonement in terms of expiation, not appeasement.

The UB, of course, rejects both.

Quote:
Propitiation literally means to make favorable and specifically includes the idea of dealing with God’s wrath against sinners. Expiation literally means to make pious and implies either the removal or cleansing of sin.
http://www.theopedia.com/Propitiation

One could say that Jesus' manner of death is an expiation in revealing God's forgiveness to the world and the path we are to follow to free ourselves from sin.

PostPosted:  

My father's side of the family is Eastern Orthodox and I attended an Orthodox church for a number of years. I might start going to church there again. I appreciate the liturgical and mystical traditions and, according to the Urantia Book, Eastern Christianity is closer to the faith of Jesus. The ascension scheme as described in the Urantia Book is very similar to the Eastern Orthodox teaching on theosis or divinization.

http://urantia-book.org/archive/sfj/ort ... ty_urantia

PostPosted:  

Another interesting similarity between the Urantia Book and Catholic doctrine is on the afterlife. One can interpret purgatory, rather than as a form of punishment, as a period of purification and spiritual development before attaining the Father in Paradise, just as the Urantia Book teaches about the mansion worlds.

Whenever the Urantia Book is in apparent conflict with my Catholic faith, I trust in the Spirit of Truth to help me reconcile the two. When I am at mass singing, praying, or quietly contemplating, I am often thinking of spiritual concepts that I've learned from the Urantia Book.

PostPosted:  

It's interesting to note that, according to this survey, there are more Urantia Book readers who were raised Catholic than Protestant:
http://www.urantia.org/news/2013-03/201 ... antia-book