Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:15 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Conversations With God
PostPosted:  

What do you think of the Conversations With God books? Are they divinely inspired? Are their teaching compatible with the Urantia Book?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

I would be interested in any responses to this question also. I've been meaning to check out those books for a while now. I'm a big fan of the Global Oneness Day initiative of Humanity's Team and Neale Donald Walsh is a founding member.

PostPosted:  

Hi Tony and Yoder - I haven't read the books but would offer this perspective, as I understand the Revelation we share:

All truths, if true :wink: , spring from the same fountain - Absolute Truth - which we will never approach or comprehend until we are fully spiritized as finaliters merged with God-mind, our thought adjuster. Prior to that, truth is relative, incremental, incomplete, and personalized uniquely by experience - not untrue, just not completely true but relatively true. Now I happen to believe the Revelation is what it claims to be and so, after many years reading it as another book of truths, have come to accept it as my authority to compare other sources to. But truly, one needs not the 5th to discover truth(s) or grow in faith and spirit. Truth changes for mortals and morontials both, based on enlarging concepts, context, and perspective. It is not that truths are not true, it is merely that they are not complete or total - they are relative within mind.

The Forward of the Revelation says that over 1000 of humanity's highest concepts are referenced therein....so the 5th is not the source of all the truths found therein, eh? The Spirit of Truth and our own experience of truth act to confirm all truths encountered or discovered so each of us is responsible for discerning the truth content from all sources...including the 5th and the gospel of Jesus and the 1000+ concepts and new paradigms and intuitions, etc., etc. None should claim all truth resides in the 5th or that no truth resides outside of it for this is no claim of the 5th, indeed is contrary to its teachings. Truth can be found in Mad Magazine or Walt Whitman or the Torah or bible or the Tao or from the Dali Lama or the letters of Gandhi or Lincoln...truth surrounds us everywhere everyday. The task is to see it, discern it, contextualize it, personalize it and live it.

As to "divinely inspired" - that would be a more difficult question and I offer no opinion. But all truth is divine and all falsehood is not nor is it "real"....for only truth, beauty, goodness, love, and spirit survives the material worlds of time and space. What might be true for one might not (yet) be for another. Compatibility with the 5th would best be discovered by a knowledge of the 5th or direct comparison as a study guide theme of comparison of the two...but word symbols may not jive with the "truths" in each.

It is important to remember this: anything that comes into or passes through human mind is changed thereby with the limits of context and perspective within mind - it becomes distorted in a very personalized way. Now, take that distortion (not an un-truth but a limited, incomplete distorted truth) and express it in human language....a further reduction and distortion of what the mind can perceive and what it can conceive. The Urantia Book does not come from human mind and, I believe, is not nearly so limited by mortal concept, context, or perspective. However, its reading IS filtered by human mind which is why different readers may get different understandings (truths) from the same text and why re-reading over decades never fails to bring new meanings for old, well read and re-read text. Now tell someone else what it says and means....and voila, what is written is changed and dimminshed thereby.

This was the magical wonder of the parables and why they survived to gospels' retelling and rewriting. They are memorable but, more importantly, there are many truths therein subject to the experience and truth realization of the student. I re-read many of my favorite books of seekers from decades ago and never fail to have greater realization and appreciation therein.

I wish you both well as you determine for yourselves the truths to come and those within any book in your lap or any person you meet or any situation you may find - truth is everywhere. Peace. 8)

PostPosted:  

He is just another hippy writing out his daydreams. He just happens to make alot of money doing it.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

deleted

Last edited by As-Above-So-Below on Fri May 10, 2013 2:59 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
If you read the following overview regarding the "Conversations With God Books" you will see a pattern which seems a prevalent tactic and marketing approach being used to promote these writings. In essence "give the people what they want" and en-bed the various truths within the fiction presented, they may rub off and stick. Not to mention the profits being taken in from this current approach.

+1 :) I agree!

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

I am about half way done reading the book and, quite honestly, there isn't anything important that I didn't already read in the Urantia Book and wasn't stated better already.

PostPosted:  

Conversations With God is for those individuals who are at that point in their search where they are questioning what they have been taught.

I like the phrase Paula Thompson uses, it goes something like....when we buy into an idea we want to sell it to others.

Many of us grew up with certain religious ideas and ideals. I myself bought the catholic ideas and ideals hook, line, and sinker as a small child. The catholic idea of God was my entire world. As a youngster I tried to sell it to everyone I could, and I was very harsh to those poor souls who did not see things my way...God help me!

Later on in life as we grow up, some of us remain true to the ideas of old, and yet many more of us start to question them.

Mr. Walsch has written a book for those who are truly disillusioned with their religious upbringings. This book helps those people who need to loose their religion. It eases the stress induced and the fear involved when we loose that faith in institutional religions teachings.

Some people will be satisfied and stop at this book as their new guidebook, but many will need more, and for those folks, they will keep on searching.

And for those who keep searching..
It is a stepping stone book.
It is the book you read on your journey to the Urantia Book.
I think that Conversations With God will be the book that some people will use in their spiritual progression.

It is one of the books that brought me to the Urantia Book.
The best of the series is book one....although I have all three, book one is the book I have read many many times over.

The Prophet: Kahlil Gibran
Conversations With God (Book One) Neale Donald Walsch
A Course In Miracles

Each of these books have within them their own signature of what might be called "Profound."
All were published in the twentieth century

These are the books that led me to the Urantia Book, they were my stepping stone books. They each were what I needed at the time.
An individuals personal search may take many baby steps over a course of many years.

You and I have really no idea what another person might need that helps them to come to the UB revelation.

We might in fact be surprised at what tools can be used to help the soul progress, especially on such a misguided planet as our own.

As readers of the Urantia Papers we all know that we are in possession of something very special.
I happen to need the UB for my sanity. I don't think I was given the UB to change the world or influence people to find God the best way, the right way or whatever. I need it to teach me how to live and how to love. I am an enormously belligerent and selfish person who needs all the help he can get.

And as a spokesperson for all those who are really screwed up in the head (and soiled in the soul), we need all the help we can get my friends!!!

When I started reading the UB papers, I was very angry at much of what I was reading. A lot of it I did not want to hear. I was raised by parents who were brought up in households that were very difficult on children, and my parents made sure we were not going to be raised that way....hence, we were spoiled!
Too much freedom and not enough required. Being spoiled as a child in the United States of America does not lead to good things later on in life. I have paid a high price.

With that said, some of us readers need a little more before we can chew on the stark, straight forward presentation that the UB delivers.
The world is readying itself for the UB and that takes time. It sometimes takes stepping stone books before we are ready to digest this revelation.

Sincerely,

Paul

PostPosted:  

That is soooo true, Paul. I really can relate to what you are saying.

Sincerely,
Ysmael

PostPosted:  

I have read the CWG trilogy twice. It was an eye-opener for me because from my own belief I could have written Book One and half of Book Two.
Sometimes there were passages in the writing that I had expressed almost verbatim. This started me on a search that has led me to the Urantia Book. If Neal Walsh had not received Divine insight in writing his books, then he is certainly a gifted charlatan.

PostPosted:  

I find Walsch very interesting as a person. People don't usually have nine children and run a retreat center unless they are serious about spirituality. Whenever I see him appear in a film, he seems like a very charismatic and spiritual person.

PostPosted:  

If you listen to the teachings of Neale Donald Walsch, they are very compatible with such Urantia Book teaches as God the Supreme, the Thought Adjuster, etc. Walsch claims to receive no special spiritual insight that other people cannot have. Instead, he claims to hear the inner divine voice that is in all of us. That sounds like the Thought Adjuster to me.

PostPosted:  

I just finished the first Conversations With God book, and I am happy to have read the book despite certain disagreements with it. I think the book can be very helpful to someone burdened by shame and guilt who grew up with a very authoritarian understanding of God. The book teaches that God is a God of love, so what really matters about our thoughts and actions is whether they are loving or unloving, not whether they fit a strict moral code.

I disagree with the idea that Hitler went to heaven, but if you believe in reincarnation as the author does, then the teaching is that after many lifetimes, Hitler would have eventually gone to heaven. I think it's more likely that, based on Urantia Book teachings, Hitler was annihilated after death.

Though I disagree with the author's belief in reincarnation, it's only mentioned in a few pages of the book, and this idea of the afterlife being a process of spiritual development can be applied to the Urantia Book's understanding of the morontial life, instead of to the idea of reincarnation.

PostPosted:  

bluestarman wrote:
I have read the CWG trilogy twice. It was an eye-opener for me because from my own belief I could have written Book One and half of Book Two.
Sometimes there were passages in the writing that I had expressed almost verbatim. This started me on a search that has led me to the Urantia Book. If Neal Walsh had not received Divine insight in writing his books, then he is certainly a gifted charlatan.

Walsch claims that God is speaking to all of us, but that most people don't know how to listen because they haven't learned to yet. God may not speak to us always in an audible voice, but there are many other subtle ways in which he can reach us.

There is a specific passage in the beginning of the book where Walsch asks God how he can know whether these messages are just a product of his own imagination, and God's response is that God can even use human imagination if He so chooses. Because of this, I try to learn from the concepts of Walsch's book, instead of taking it word for word as the words of God.