Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:25 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: A Seraphim
PostPosted:  

Hi all,

Probably a dumb thing to raise, but it has always bugged me that the phrase "a seraphim" appears in the Urantia Book. Quite a few times too. I thought "seraphim" was a plural word and the singular is "seraph". Is this a grammatical mistake? Or does it have something to do with the fact that seraphim act in pairs?
Quote:
113:1.8 When a mortal mind breaks through the inertia of animal legacy and attains the third circle of human intellectuality and acquired spirituality, a personal angel (in reality two) will henceforth be wholly and exclusively devoted to this ascending mortal.

kiwi

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: A Seraphim
PostPosted:  

deleted

Last edited by As-Above-So-Below on Fri May 10, 2013 2:58 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Seraphim indeed is the plural form of Seraph, in Hebrew. But the word has taken on the form of an irregular noun when it was anglicized. I believe TUB is employing the anglicized form, which would explain why it does not make the normal singular, plural, Hebrew distinction.

PostPosted:  

Hi kahanyah,

Do you have a link showing how singular "seraphim" is the Anglicized form? I thought the Anglicization in this case was changing the plural seraphim to seraphs, and not to do with the singular at all.

I just noticed this too - a use of singular "seraph" in the Urantia Book:
Quote:
46:2.8 Mount Seraph is the highest elevation on Jerusem, almost fifteen thousand feet, and is the point of departure for all transport seraphim.

So it's part of their vocab.

And the book also uses the words "cherubim" and "sanobim" in the singular.

Still seems weird to me.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

kiwi2 wrote:
Hi kahanyah,

Do you have a link showing how singular "seraphim" is the Anglicized form? I thought the Anglicization in this case was changing the plural seraphim to seraphs, and not to do with the singular at all.

I just noticed this too - a use of singular "seraph" in the Urantia Book:
Quote:
46:2.8 Mount Seraph is the highest elevation on Jerusem, almost fifteen thousand feet, and is the point of departure for all transport seraphim.

So it's part of their vocab.

And the book also uses the words "cherubim" and "sanobim" in the singular.

Still seems weird to me.

kiwi

You are right that the anglicized form is Seraphs, not Seraphim. I assumed Seraphim was anglicized by popular, English use. I think what you stated earlier is a logical explanation; Seraphim is really two-in-one entities; Seraphim plays both the singular and plural noun. I am doing some research on this. If I find anything, I will report it.

PostPosted:  

deleted

Last edited by As-Above-So-Below on Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

As-Above-So-Below wrote:
The overall definition of seraphim seems to be “fiery ones”, the UB reference “(in reality two)” might refer to one from above and one from below – one being the counterpart of the other – when relating this to mortal reality may refer to the duality of man. In another possible analogy in the Biblical Garden of Eden Story of the Serpent guarding the Tree of Life – it was assumed that prior to the downfall of Adam and Eve the Serpent was a Dragon and do to its seductive nature was changed into a serpent after being changed by God as punishment. Prior to this it was noted as having the ability to fly – therefore the Dragons legs and wings were removed, thereby leaving a serpent. The reference below may follow along these origins in the “fiery flying serpent” might refer to a Dragon of folklore.

Word Origin and History http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Seraph?s=t
seraph
1667, first used by Milton (probably on analogy of cherub/cherubim), singular back-formation from O.E. seraphim (pl.), from L.L. seraphim, from Gk. seraphim, from Heb. seraphim (only in Isa. vi), pl. of *saraph (which does not occur in the Bible), probably lit. "the burning one," from saraph "it burned."
Seraphs were traditionally regarded as burning or flaming angels, though the word seems to have some etymological sense of "flying," perhaps from confusion with the root of Ar. sharafa "be lofty." Some scholars identify it with a word found in other passages interpreted as "fiery flying serpent."

Bible Dictionary http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/seraphim?s=t
seraphim definition
mentioned in Isa. 6:2, 3, 6, 7. This word means fiery ones, in allusion, as is supposed, to their burning love. They are represented as "standing" above the King as he sat upon his throne, ready at once to minister unto him. Their form appears to have been human, with the addition of wings. (See ANGELS.) This word, in the original, is used elsewhere only of the "fiery serpents" (Num. 21:6, 8; Deut. 8:15; comp. Isa. 14:29; 30:6) sent by God as his instruments to inflict on the people the righteous penalty of sin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraph

AASB, do you have any idea why they linked the Seraphim to fire? I know there is a reference in the Bible to fiery serpents that bit the Hebrews but not sure if that is the connection. What do you think?

PostPosted:  

deleted

Last edited by As-Above-So-Below on Fri May 10, 2013 2:56 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Thanks!

PostPosted:  

Just saw this too:
Quote:
51:1.5 An original or directly created Adam and Eve are immortal by inherent endowment just as are all other orders of local universe sonship

I'm thinking that this is a grammatical error, relative to modern/common usage, but that the error is because of the ambiguity around whether it's actually a (singular) pair of beings or (plural) two of them. Interesting to find the same issue coming up with both Seraphim and Material Sons.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

kiwi2 wrote:
Just saw this too:
Quote:
51:1.5 An original or directly created Adam and Eve are immortal by inherent endowment just as are all other orders of local universe sonship

I'm thinking that this is a grammatical error, relative to modern/common usage, but that the error is because of the ambiguity around whether it's actually a (singular) pair of beings or (plural) two of them. Interesting to find the same issue coming up with both Seraphim and Material Sons.

kiwi

IMO this raises a bunch of questions. For starters, do we interpret this book literally or figuratively? Could all dual origin creations be considered also as single entities. Are there two Urantia planets? I can go on and on. I think you opened a Pandora's box! lmao!

PostPosted:  

kiwi2 wrote:
Just saw this too:
Quote:

kiwi

Or it could lend support to the camp of readers who believe the book is written by a human author. They could use this as an example of a unique, human writing style, flaw.

PostPosted:  

I think one problem to overcome in our comprehension is the multi-layered truths within Truth itself. Finaliters should be included in this "pairing" concept I believe, no? And then, there will be a "pair" of seraphim paired with a pair of finaliters who will all be paired together with the TA and the Supreme....a 6 way love fest of 3 pairs, ascender, angelic, Father!! Each part of a pair is also an each within the singular pair. This is a reflection of "pattern" as well. And then there is that creative force that lies only within the pair or the harmonic potential and results created by two. All of these concepts have overlays, overlaps, templated pattern, and synchronization of creativity and harmony.

And I have no idea why anyone would consider such a high concept as human in origin for what would be the source of such a humanistic conclusion or perception? The Revelation is either fiction, inspired, or revelation - it is not 2 or 3 of those but one of those. Take your pick. Our agreement or acknowledgement in no way affects truth or reality, it just affects our participation therein. Reality is not changed by its perception and its perception is hardly reality itself, eh?

Are these grammatical gnats or camels or do they merely indicate complexities yet to be realized by the mortal mind?

PostPosted:  

fanofVan wrote:
I think one problem to overcome in our comprehension is the multi-layered truths within Truth itself. Finaliters should be included in this "pairing" concept I believe, no? And then, there will be a "pair" of seraphim paired with a pair of finaliters who will all be paired together with the TA and the Supreme....a 6 way love fest of 3 pairs, ascender, angelic, Father!! Each part of a pair is also an each within the singular pair. This is a reflection of "pattern" as well. And then there is that creative force that lies only within the pair or the harmonic potential and results created by two. All of these concepts have overlays, overlaps, templated pattern, and synchronization of creativity and harmony.

And I have no idea why anyone would consider such a high concept as human in origin for what would be the source of such a humanistic conclusion or perception? The Revelation is either fiction, inspired, or revelation - it is not 2 or 3 of those but one of those. Take your pick. Our agreement or acknowledgement in no way affects truth or reality, it just affects our participation therein. Reality is not changed by its perception and its perception is hardly reality itself, eh?

Are these grammatical gnats or camels or do they merely indicate complexities yet to be realized by the mortal mind?

I agree, what is considered ungrammatical could have significance in the higher, celestial forms of communication. This is very true.

PostPosted:  

Both seraphim and material son and daughters like Adam and Eve work in pairs. I don't see any errors here.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing