Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:13 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

What are your thoughts?

I was watching this video link and could not help but wonder if there is a connection between how a subliminal functions and how a TA functions. What came to mind is the following:

Quote:
111:1.8 But man does not passively, slavishly, surrender his will to the Adjuster. Rather does he actively, positively, and co-operatively choose to follow the Adjuster's leading when and as such leading consciously differs from the desires and impulses of the natural mortal mind. The Adjusters manipulate but never dominate man's mind against his will; to the Adjusters the human will is supreme. And they so regard and respect it while they strive to achieve the spiritual goals of thought adjustment and character transformation in the almost limitless arena of the evolving human intellect.

Subliminal embeds function at the subconscious plane of mind. It is only as effective as the mind is capable of receptivity to its pulling. That is, a subliminal embed on, say, sexual deviancy, can only work on the mind of one who consciously desires such sexuality. The subliminal is the 'nudge' to push you over to express such sexual reality. It should be noted that subliminals use art and music; symbols, word art, etc.

Based on the UB passage quoted, I am led to believe that TAs operate on the same principle but at the super-conscious state of mind. TA manipulates the mind via "super-liminals" (TA version of subliminals), embedding within it manipulative art and music forms ideal to convey the message. It is only as effective as the mind is able to receive it. Which is to say, a mind that consciously rejects "desires and impulses of the natural mortal mind," in favor of more enduring eternal realities.

While subliminals function in harmony with the desires and impulses of the natural mind, the reverse is true with TA.

Please check out the video, it is very enlightening. I will post a few more links covering said topic.

Last edited by kahanyah on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQrcQI5b ... ture=g-u-u

PostPosted:  

Our TA / Thought Adjuster as well as The Spirit Of Truth
Will Strive to show Us ... The Way

Yet The Bottom Line, Our Gift of Freewill
... Gives Us The Choice To Choose !

143:2.0 2. Lesson on Self-Mastery

143:2.3 Verily, verily, I say to you, he who rules his own self is greater than he who captures a city. Self-mastery is the measure of man’s moral nature and the indicator of his spiritual development. In the old order you fasted and prayed; as the new creature of the rebirth of the spirit, you are taught to believe and rejoice. In the Father’s kingdom you are to become new creatures; old things are to pass away; behold I show you how all things are to become new. And by your love for one another you are to convince the world that you have passed from bondage to liberty, from death into life everlasting.

143:2.4 By the old way you seek to suppress, obey, and conform to the rules of living; by the new way you are first transformed by the Spirit of Truth and thereby strengthened in your inner soul by the constant spiritual renewing of your mind, and so are you endowed with the power of the certain and joyous performance of the gracious, acceptable, and perfect will of God. Forget not — it is your personal faith in the exceedingly great and precious promises of God that ensures your becoming partakers of the divine nature. Thus by your faith and the spirit’s transformation, you become in reality the temples of God, and his spirit actually dwells within you. If, then, the spirit dwells within you, you are no longer bondslaves of the flesh but free and liberated sons of the spirit. The new law of the spirit endows you with the liberty of self-mastery in place of the old law of the fear of self-bondage and the slavery of self-denial.

143:2.8 If, then, my children, you are born of the spirit, you are forever delivered from the self-conscious bondage of a life of self-denial and watchcare over the desires of the flesh, and you are translated into the joyous kingdom of the spirit, whence you spontaneously show forth the fruits of the spirit in your daily lives; and the fruits of the spirit are the essence of the highest type of enjoyable and ennobling self-control, even the heights of terrestrial mortal attainment — true self-mastery.”

PostPosted:  

I found an interesting passage that may shed light on how TA embeds images to the mind.

Quote:
110:6.5 The Adjusters are always near you and of you, but rarely can they speak directly, as another being, to you. Circle by circle your intellectual decisions, moral choosings, and spiritual development add to the ability of the Adjuster to function in your mind; circle by circle you thereby ascend from the lower stages of Adjuster association and mind attunement, so that the Adjuster is increasingly enabled to register his picturizations of destiny with augmenting vividness and conviction upon the evolving consciousness of this God-seeking mind-soul.

PostPosted:  

That is interesting that they use the word picturization. It would seem that when we get to the higher circles they can gives us more direct "picturizations" of higher universe reality. Pretty cool stuff, I can't wait to get to a psycic circle level where I can discern a "picturization" from the thought adjuster from my own intellect. The u.b also says that it is dangerous to try and differentiate between our own thoughts and the adjusters attempts to give us these picturizations. I imagine that once we get to the 3rd psycic level we can begin to safely tell the difference between our own leadings and the adjusters. Before that point it seems somewhat hazerdous.

I could see how thinking your own thoughts are from Gods spirit could be dangerous though....There are thousands of people in prisons and in mental hospitals who have made that mistake. :shock:

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boomshuka wrote:
The u.b also says that it is dangerous to try and differentiate between our own thoughts and the adjusters attempts to give us these picturizations.

I recall that passage too, the celestial warns us to err on the side of caution, to ascribe the perceived inspired TA thought to our own mind rather than credit it to TA. That is something. Many psychics swear they are in commune with their higher selves. I wonder how many of them are self-deluded.

Last edited by kahanyah on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:51 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

You got that right!!!!

boomshuka wrote:
king your own thoughts are from Gods spirit could be dangerous though....There are thousands of people in prisons and in mental hospitals who have made that mistake. :shock:

PostPosted:  

There is also a entire group of readers of the urantia book who have made that mistake. I am sure you will come across them eventually :? They think they have the abilities of a 1st circler. This is why it is soooo vitally important to read the parts of the urantia book that explain the different levels of human living. So you can see that you are not superhuman....lol and realize its a long journey.

Even the level or experience of Love is actually really really really high. If we imagine that``god is love`it is not even close to a feeling or emotion or anything like that. It is way way way up there in the personality. `That is why so many people don`t make a big deal out of the teachings of Jesus because they have nooo idea just what love is. (myself included) hahah. That ``it is sad to record`remark and the ``few people live and love as Jesus teached` is basically saying that most people even religionists are not even close to experiencing these realities.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

You are very level headed. I respect that in you. You have the gift to keep people grounded, especially ones who are into sacred writings or texts on otherworldly realms, eg, UB. Many people who get involved with these writings become space cadets, self-professed world gurus, saviors, etc. Speaking of which, I ran into one video, "Gabriel of Urantia." Ever hear of him? Not sure if he is claiming to be Gabriel of TUB, but the name did give me pause. He seems like a real cool guy, admittedly --I don't want to come across as if I am casting aspersions on his persons. I just get leery when I run into people with big spiritual titles and stuff.

boomshuka wrote:
There is also a entire group of readers of the urantia book who have made that mistake. I am sure you will come across them eventually :? They think they have the abilities of a 1st circler. This is why it is soooo vitally important to read the parts of the urantia book that explain the different levels of human living. So you can see that you are not superhuman....lol and realize its a long journey.

Even the level or experience of Love is actually really really really high. If we imagine that``god is love`it is not even close to a feeling or emotion or anything like that. It is way way way up there in the personality. `That is why so many people don`t make a big deal out of the teachings of Jesus because they have nooo idea just what love is. (myself included) hahah. That ``it is sad to record`remark and the ``few people live and love as Jesus teached` is basically saying that most people even religionists are not even close to experiencing these realities.

PostPosted:  

Quote:
You are very level headed. I respect that in you. You have the gift to keep people grounded, especially ones who are into sacred writings or texts on otherworldly realms, eg, UB. Many people who get involved with these writings become space cadets, self-professed world gurus, saviors, etc. Speaking of which, I ran into one video, "Gabriel of Urantia." Ever hear of him? Not sure if he is claiming to be Gabriel of TUB, but the name did give me pause. He seems like a real cool guy, admittedly --I don't want to come across as if I am casting aspersions on his persons. I just get leery when I run into people with big spiritual titles and stuff.

Thanks Kahanya I think the u.b is a humbling book for the most part. I mean everyone has the same destiny (if they choose it). Everyone has an identical adjuster and for the most part everyone starts at the bottom. The notion of feeling special, or unique compared to other people is something you can weed out of your system with the urantia book. I know many people would think a book like this would bring about strange behaviour but when you realize its a revelation for all human beings, even if they do not realize it yet and that all human beings are family than it should stabilize some of those thoughts of feeling special. Some good examples of people who felt special in the u.b are Lucifer and Judas. :? That gabrielle guy is the WORST! He does think he is some divine being and he plays music and its horrible lol. Everything about him is horrible.

Chris had a good comment on the broadcast, he said that God loves you for what you are becoming because he knows your personality as an actuality in eternity. He can see your personality in eternity, right now our personality is for the most part just a potential that we have to bring into reality. His viewpoint as the I AM streches from the infinite past to the infintie future he can see you as you really are. That is another reason God is your best ally he knows the "real" you and he loves it. A good example he used was to think of a cord (your selfhood/personality) threaded up into eternity and at this point you are just that thread at the end of the cord as it winds down. God can see you from atop the very end of that cord. He does not make a distinction between potential or actual because all potentials are actuals from his viewpoint. That is a mind-bender hahah but I love the excersize of picturing that.

loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

boomshuka wrote:
The notion of feeling special, or unique compared to other people is something you can weed out of your system with the urantia book. I know many people would think a book like this would bring about strange behaviour but when you realize its a revelation for all human beings, even if they do not realize it yet and that all human beings are family than it should stabilize some of those thoughts of feeling special. Some good examples of people who felt special in the u.b are Lucifer and Judas. :?

Yep - this is a really important issue. The Urantia Book is against the idea of a "chosen people" attitude. And as you say, it is a revelation for all human beings, so there can't be an "in group" and an "out group". Or the "saved" and the "unsaved". But I wonder how many people have read the Urantia Book and wondered if they are part of the Reserve Corps of Destiny. Or the Cosmic Corps of Destiny. It's so natural to want to be more special than others - it comes from our insecurities, not from God. We are special in God's eyes because of who we are, not because we are any better than anyone else.

By the way, here are some other Urantia Book refs on images and pictures in the mind:
[quote]110:4.3 Certain abrupt presentations of thoughts, conclusions, and other pictures of mind are sometimes the direct or indirect work of the Adjuster
110:5.4 While their mortal hosts are asleep, the Adjusters try to register their creations in the higher levels of the material mind, and some of your grotesque dreams indicate their failure to make efficient contact.
[\quote]
Most references seem to refer to the "voice" of the adjuster though. There were lots of instances over history of people receiving visions and images - lots of these recorded in the bible. Maybe the adjuster uses what it can. Or maybe there's a preference for images over words, as images are not so easy to crystalise and turn into dogma.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

Thanks for those references, kiwi. I wonder if the Bible's ministry of similitude is one function of TA.

kiwi2 wrote:
boomshuka wrote:
The notion of feeling special, or unique compared to other people is something you can weed out of your system with the urantia book. I know many people would think a book like this would bring about strange behaviour but when you realize its a revelation for all human beings, even if they do not realize it yet and that all human beings are family than it should stabilize some of those thoughts of feeling special. Some good examples of people who felt special in the u.b are Lucifer and Judas. :?

Yep - this is a really important issue. The Urantia Book is against the idea of a "chosen people" attitude. And as you say, it is a revelation for all human beings, so there can't be an "in group" and an "out group". Or the "saved" and the "unsaved". But I wonder how many people have read the Urantia Book and wondered if they are part of the Reserve Corps of Destiny. Or the Cosmic Corps of Destiny. It's so natural to want to be more special than others - it comes from our insecurities, not from God. We are special in God's eyes because of who we are, not because we are any better than anyone else.

By the way, here are some other Urantia Book refs on images and pictures in the mind:
Quote:
110:4.3 Certain abrupt presentations of thoughts, conclusions, and other pictures of mind are sometimes the direct or indirect work of the Adjuster
110:5.4 While their mortal hosts are asleep, the Adjusters try to register their creations in the higher levels of the material mind, and some of your grotesque dreams indicate their failure to make efficient contact.
[\quote]
Most references seem to refer to the "voice" of the adjuster though. There were lots of instances over history of people receiving visions and images - lots of these recorded in the bible. Maybe the adjuster uses what it can. Or maybe there's a preference for images over words, as images are not so easy to crystalise and turn into dogma.

kiwi

PostPosted:  

kahanyah wrote:
Thanks for those references, kiwi. I wonder if the Bible's ministry of similitude is one function of TA.

Hi kahanyah, can you expand on that? What do you mean by the Bible's ministry of similitude?

kiwi

PostPosted:  

Sure, Kiwi2. Similitudes are pictures or symbols that prophets receive in visions.

Quote:
Hsa 12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.

I was making the connection with TAs which impress the same onto the mind of their host.

kiwi2 wrote:
kahanyah wrote:

Hi kahanyah, can you expand on that? What do you mean by the Bible's ministry of similitude?

kiwi

PostPosted:  

Quote:
Kiwi2. Similitudes are pictures or symbols that prophets receive in visions.

Quote:
Hsa 12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.

I was making the connection with TAs which impress the same onto the mind of their host.

That is a good question Kahanyah. I think once we reach the 3rd circle we begin to actually get a glimpse of the "picturization" that the adjuster is giving us. The 3rd circle seems relatively high though compared to where most everybody is. The u.b does mention some people as having had visions, so perhaps visions are something else besides the basic ministry of the thought adjuster. A vision may have something to do with reflectivity? Anyway this is a good question and something I have wondered about. I honesty don't know what the adjusters ministry would be like at the higher circles, would we get a mental image?? Hmmm seems possible!.....

I wonder if this picturization had anything to do with how I found the urantia book. When I was 16 a literal picture of the letters of the urantia book just appeared in my line of sight when I was sleeping. In other words it was like a dream. Of coarse a 16 year old is at the bottom of the cosmic totem pole, so it must have been a fluke one time thing, I haven't had anything like that happen since. I know spiritual concepts need vessels. Perhaps we provide the material vessel for the spiritual leadings of the adjuster and that is why they can appear as "picturizations". Of coarse almost all of the adjusters leadings in sleep time are marred by our own self. So our dreams are really the ultimate failure of the adjuster to make contact with us hahah.

Quote:
(1208.1) 110:5.2 Man’s dream experiences, that disordered and disconnected parade of the un-co-ordinated sleeping mind, present adequate proof of the failure of the Adjusters to harmonize and associate the divergent factors of the mind of man. The Adjusters simply cannot, in a single lifetime, arbitrarily co-ordinate and synchronize two such unlike and diverse types of thinking as the human and the divine. When they do, as they sometimes have, such souls are translated directly to the mansion worlds without the necessity of passing through the experience of death.

(1208.2) 110:5.3 During the slumber season the Adjuster attempts to achieve only that which the will of the indwelt personality has previously fully approved by the decisions and choosings which were made during times of fully wakeful consciousness, and which have thereby become lodged in the realms of the supermind, the liaison domain of human and divine interrelationship.

(1208.3) 110:5.4 While their mortal hosts are asleep, the Adjusters try to register their creations in the higher levels of the material mind, and some of your grotesque dreams indicate their failure to make efficient contact. The absurdities of dream life not only testify to pressure of unexpressed emotions but also bear witness to the horrible distortion of the representations of the spiritual concepts presented by the Adjusters. Your own passions, urges, and other innate tendencies translate themselves into the picture and substitute their unexpressed desires for the divine messages which the indwellers are endeavoring to put into the psychic records during unconscious sleep.

(1208.4) 110:5.5 It is extremely dangerous to postulate as to the Adjuster content of the dream life. The Adjusters do work during sleep, but your ordinary dream experiences are purely physiologic and psychologic phenomena. Likewise, it is hazardous to attempt the differentiation of the Adjusters’ concept registry from the more or less continuous and conscious reception of the dictations of mortal conscience. These are problems which will have to be solved through individual discrimination and personal decision. But a human being would do better to err in rejecting an Adjuster’s expression through believing it to be a purely human experience than to blunder into exalting a reaction of the mortal mind to the sphere of divine dignity. Remember, the influence of a Thought Adjuster is for the most part, though not wholly, a superconscious experience.

(1208.5) 110:5.6 In varying degrees and increasingly as you ascend the psychic circles, sometimes directly, but more often indirectly, you do communicate with your Adjusters. But it is dangerous to entertain the idea that every new concept originating in the human mind is the dictation of the Adjuster. More often, in beings of your order, that which you accept as the Adjuster’s voice is in reality the emanation of your own intellect. This is dangerous ground, and every human being must settle these problems for himself in accordance with his natural human wisdom and superhuman insight.

Quote:
(1209.5) 110:6.5 The Adjusters are always near you and of you, but rarely can they speak directly, as another being, to you. Circle by circle your intellectual decisions, moral choosings, and spiritual development add to the ability of the Adjuster to function in your mind; circle by circle you thereby ascend from the lower stages of Adjuster association and mind attunement, so that the Adjuster is increasingly enabled to register his picturizations of destiny with augmenting vividness and conviction upon the evolving consciousness of this God-seeking mind-soul.

It seems like they may be able to do both Speak and give a picturization, of coarse this will not happen for a while though. Also this last paragraph shows us that these beings are very loving and caring.

3.3) 110:7.8 During mortal life the material body and mind separate you from your Adjuster and prevent free communication; subsequent to death, after the eternal fusion, you and the Adjuster are one — you are not distinguishable as separate beings — and thus there exists no need for communication as you would understand it.

(1213.4) 110:7.9 While the voice of the Adjuster is ever within you, most of you will hear it seldom during a lifetime. Human beings below the third and second circles of attainment rarely hear the Adjuster’s direct voice except in moments of supreme desire, in a supreme situation, and consequent upon a supreme decision.

(1213.5) 110:7.10 During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny. This message was introduced by these words: “And now, without injury or jeopardy to the subject of my solicitous devotion and without intent to overchastise or discourage, for me, make record of this my plea to him.” Then followed a beautifully touching and appealing admonition. Among other things, the Adjuster pleaded “that he more faithfully give me his sincere co-operation, more cheerfully endure the tasks of my emplacement, more faithfully carry out the program of my arrangement, more patiently go through the trials of my selection, more persistently and cheerfully tread the path of my choosing, more humbly receive credit that may accrue as a result of my ceaseless endeavors — thus transmit my admonition to the man of my indwelling. Upon him I bestow the supreme devotion and affection of a divine spirit. And say further to my beloved subject that I will function with wisdom and power until the very end, until the last earth struggle is over; I will be true to my personality trust. And I exhort him to survival, not to disappoint me, not to deprive me of the reward of my patient and intense struggle. On the human will our achievement of personality depends. Circle by circle I have patiently ascended this human mind, and I have testimony that I am meeting the approval of the chief of my kind. Circle by circle I am passing on to judgment. I await with pleasure and without apprehension the roll call of destiny; I am prepared to submit all to the tribunals of the Ancients of Days.”

loveofrightdoing