Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:41 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Cayce’s body of work and the Urantia Book are quite different. The main thing they have in common is that they are both chanelled material.

Edgar Cayce (1887-1945) lived in Kentucky, Alabama, and Virginia. His readings were given for individuals and primarily focused on health. It was only later on, when asked questions about metaphysics that he provided a larger cosmology. Because of the piecemeal nature of his readings, it was left to later students and authors to put together his work into more readable formats. At the time, it was unclear what the source of his information was. More recently, through the work of Carla Ruckert (L/L Research) and David Wilcox, it was determined that the source was an entity called RA, which defines itself as a “social memory complex.” My understanding is that this is a sort of group soul that originally evolved on the planet Venus and now currently resides in the 6th density.

The Urantia Book was dictated in Chicago between 1924-1955. The channeller is still a source of speculation, although it is known that William Sadler and a group of students known as the Forum had a key role in collecting the works and bringing them together. Because it was not composed of individual readings, the Urantia Book is a much more cohesive narrative and doesn’t need external authors to write about it. The source of the book is several high celestial beings involved in the administration of the universe.

Regarding the contents and philosophies in these bodies of work, there are some major differences. In Cayce’s system, we are souls that got trapped in the lower density of matter that exists on the Earth plane. Our souls are immortal. Reincarnation exists. Jesus, in fact, had a number of human incarnations beginning with Adam and including a number of Old Testament characters.

I am not an expert on The Urantia Book, however there is no reincarnation in its system. Jesus was of a different nature, being the incarnation into a human body of a universe administrator named Michael of Nebadon.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello BigAl,

You've made the statement that TUB is a channeled work, like so many others, as if that's a fact. The fact is that it's not a fact... you may wish to reconsider your assumption by first doing some research, not just assuming. The Urantia Book Historical Society website contains factual information on which better opinions can be based. It's found at www.ubhistory.org -- time spent there can be much more productive than that spent with any channeled material.

Best wishes,
Larry

PostPosted:  

Hi Larry, I actually did a little bit of research before posting my previous reply. I used this website, The Urantia Book Fellowship. I hope you accept it as a credible source. (I did take a peek at the website you mentioned but found it more difficult to to find what I was looking for.)
http://www.urantiabook.org/archive/mjs_ ... a-book.htm

Quoting from "Who Wrote the Urantia Book?":
Quote:
The first account of the origin of The Urantia Book lies within its own pages. We are told the papers were authorized by high deity authorities and written by numerous supermortal personalities. These papers are designated as the Fifth Epochal Revelation to our planet, Urantia. Dated from 1934 A. D., the five epochal revelations are: (1) Dalamatia—500,000 years ago; (2) Adam and Eve—37,848 years ago; (3) Melchizedek—1980 B. C.; (4) Jesus—7 B. C.; and The Urantia Book —1934-35 A. D.
In general terms the authors discuss the problems they encountered communicating between their spiritual level of universe reality and our material level of mortal existence. They reveal that they made contact through the Thought Adjuster (indwelling spirit of God) of a particular human being on our world. We are assured, however, that this Thought Adjuster's communication technique is not related to "spiritualism," "mediumship," or "channeling." Specific details are not discussed.

Is the Urantia Book channelled or not channelled? I suppose this is a definition problem, more an issue of semantics than any underlying truth. I define channelling broadly as a communication coming from somewhere else through a human instrument. Under this definition, the particular technique, whether it is a full trance channel, partial channel, automatic writing, etc, isn't really important. Furthermore, the particular nature of the beings or entities doing the communication isn't that important, be they angels, aliens, or humans that have passed on. Sure, there will be differences in quality and content depending on the source of the information. No arguments there.

Under this definition of channelling, Edgar Cayce did this. And if we assume the above quote is accurate, that the Urantia Book was written by supermortal personalities and communicated through the thought adjuster of a human being, I think that would also meet the definition.

I admit I use the term broadly. If you think there is a significant difference concerning the Urantia Book, I would be happy to hear about it.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hello BigAl,

Your definition of channeling as "a communication coming from somewhere else through a human instrument" is acceptable. The somewhere else that channeling comes from is the human instrument's own subconscious mind. People tend to discuss channeling as if it were a fact, as you've done too, that spirits or ghosts or guides or angels or other non-material beings will communicate with human beings if they just still their minds and listen. The Urantia Book does not support that supposition -- in fact it denies it -- non-material beings do not communicate with human beings in such a manner unless the non-material being is rebellious or the human being has an unhealthy mind and in those cases, who in their right mind would want to carry on with such a communication?

The answer to your question is no, The Urantia Book is not channeled. It did not originate from within the human subconscious. How it did originate is supposition... it's not known because it was deemed wise by the midwayers to keep the method of transmission confidential and what the midwayers decide, they do.

Channelers are massaging their own egos, perhaps inadvertently. The subconscious mind is powerful... one of its functions is to satisfy the conscious mind with the information it desires. To do so the subconscious wraps its information in ways that are meaningful and acceptable to the conscious mind -- a self-delusion. Channeled material may sound nice but it is not trustworthy nor is it based in fact.

The best advice is always, don't waste effort on the about The Urantia Book quandry, rather invest it in reading and studying first hand, on your own. The book is written for you, with you in mind. You don't need anyone else to guide you or to make your decisions for you; that only leads to confusion and doubt.

Larry

PostPosted:  

So channelling can happen, but only when "the non-material being is rebellious or the human being has an unhealthy mind"?

Hmmm.... that sounds fishy to me. It almost sounds like the universe administrators want to be the only source of information.

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Hi BigAl --

Yes, that's not a proper definition for channeling. Any seeker can become a channeler -- it's just a matter of learning how to enter a quiet meditative state and consciously entering the subconscious area of mind where usually you'll only enter when you're asleep and dreaming. Channeling is a subconscious mind activity. The subconscious is not reliable as to fact -- it's there to provide what the conscious mind desires, among other things. It may seem like it's a spiritual mind activity but it's not. It may give seemingly meaningful facts and answers, but they are untrustworthy. Did Jesus channel? Did Jesus enter mystical states of mind? No. Jesus is our example. Trust Jesus.

Larry

PostPosted:  

BigAl wrote:
So channelling can happen, but only when "the non-material being is rebellious or the human being has an unhealthy mind"?

Hmmm.... that sounds fishy to me. It almost sounds like the universe administrators want to be the only source of information.

Actually "BigAl" it does sound a little fishy, but having investigated, many sects and religions, it would sound a little more like what "Scientology" teaches. However, it is not the same as what the LDS (Mormons) have documented, which is not the same as "channeling" but more like spiritual visions.