Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:59 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How come......a,
PostPosted:  

There's no mention of hell in the urantia book, when its mention in the Bhagavatam (hindu bible).
Recently I have been watching many videos about people who have seen hell and lived to tell about it'
What's your take on that?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: How come......a,
PostPosted:  

Numerous reasons. How could the most loving father/being torment his own child. How can a human being survive this life if he has torn apart his own potentially immortal soul. How can sin survive when all reality exists literally within god the father. How can a non reality such as evil even exist in time and space when all of time and space is god.

Thehapyandefectivepersonismotivatednotbyfearofwrongdoingbutby
loveofrightdoing

PostPosted:  

Dear URANO,

There are as many people who "see" heaven and come back to tell about it...I think it is a case of our seeing what we believe in. The Urantia Book reveals a new idea of God - a gentle, loving Father, whose only response to his children is LOVE. He has no need of revenge or punishment. If you use our search engine and type in the word hell, you'll see some purely historical and evolutionary mentions of it - and all are springing from the mind of man - not God.

http://www.truthbook.com/search/UBParagraphs_VSearchForm.cfm

The time has come when we are invited to open our minds to this new revelation of God, and put aside the old ideas of him as vengeful and frightening. The Urantia Book helps us to do that, and especially Part IV - The Life and Teachings of Jesus.

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1667

Jesus never taught the idea of hell, nor the idea of God as condemning and scary. Jesus said that when he have seen him, we have seen the Father. And Jesus never acted in ways that were anything but loving towards mankind...

MaryJo

PostPosted:  

URANO wrote:
There's no mention of hell in the urantia book, when its mention in the Bhagavatam (hindu bible).
Recently I have been watching many videos about people who have seen hell and lived to tell about it'

Note that even among Christians there is wide variation in beliefs about hell.

For example, this article disputes the traditional view of hell as a place of eternal torment. The author takes a view that is closer to that of the UB, though by no means identical to it. That is, he interprets hell as a place where the condemned are finally annihilated. The UB also states that the ultimate fate of the unrepentant is annihilation. He also describes something like "soul sleep", also similar to the UB.

Of course, the biggest difference between the UB and this Biblical interpretation would be whether or not mortal life is the last chance to repent. According to the UB, those who choose "spiritual death" while still mortals are out of the game, but others may yet open their eyes.

It's possible that people who nearly die are shown things, according to the UB.

92:4.4 There have been many events of religious revelation but only five of epochal significance.

The many events of religious revelation could include near-death experiences, which people proceed to interpret according to their own theological views.

PostPosted:  

heres my take.

i did read materials about both; heaven and hell and now urantia.

..personality survive after death and this incudes our thought patterns and belief concept. most likely that they saw, hell, is the manifestation acting out the reality of the mind. over there, the mind is more real than reality. but we can change it into heaven if we ahve enough desire for a better one.

PostPosted:  

i once listened to someone tell his long tale of being in hell at the holy land experience in orlando and he truly believes it and it's a great and believable story. whatever he experienced was real for him. the ub doesn't much go into dream travel and such or out of body experiences, they certainly are a real phenomenon.

hell, a lake of fire that someone stays in for eternity, is the biblical understanding and many believe in it. the ub tells us that actually what hell is is to be destroyed eternally by the ancients of days. god doesn't look at us suffering for eternity, he makes iniquitous beings as if they had not been, they no longer exist in any personality form. 2:3.2 How futile to make puerile appeals to such a God to modify his changeless decrees so that we can avoid the just consequences of the operation of his wise natural laws and righteous spiritual mandates! “Be not deceived; God is not mocked, for whatsoever a man sows that shall he also reap.” True, even in the justice of reaping the harvest of wrongdoing, this divine justice is always tempered with mercy. Infinite wisdom is the eternal arbiter which determines the proportions of justice and mercy which shall be meted out in any given circumstance. The greatest punishment (in reality an inevitable consequence) for wrongdoing and deliberate rebellion against the government of God is loss of existence as an individual subject of that government. The final result of wholehearted sin is annihilation. In the last analysis, such sin-identified individuals have destroyed themselves by becoming wholly unreal through their embrace of iniquity. The factual disappearance of such a creature is, however, always delayed until the ordained order of justice current in that universe has been fully complied with.

URANO wrote:

PostPosted:  

I don't know where Dante went but he certainly was in hell. Another "fact" or truth of my conservative Christian upbringing I dismissed before puberty. Any Jesusonian reading or interpretation of the KJV really notices the lack of any hell or threat of it from The Master. The kingdom was always "at hand" but hell? Not even on radar. Good tool for priests and witch doctors though. Psychology teaches that humankind changes and responds to fear with 10 times more energy than they do to hope....fear of loss exceeds hope of gain. Go figure. Probably comes from the trees and caves when fear was useful for survival and societal development by taboo. But Jesus worked so hard to eliminate all fear from all hearts and minds. There is no mortal event worthy of a faith-believer's fear and there is most certainly nothing to fear from God. This from one with a cross still to bear. Hell died on the cross....forevermore, with Him who gave us life and gave His life, even unto mortal death, that we might not fear any longer. Rejoice!!

PostPosted:  

Amen, fanovan!!!

PostPosted:  

I love the UB telling of where the Hell concept came from.

Can you imagine what a sight of horror that pit was to see, all those decaying body's with all sorts of rodents and carrion birds feeding, not to mention the smell.

After reading the UB account, all those old paintings made so much sence ... Knowing the real life inspiration for them.

PostPosted:  

sure the mortals as a young world and civilization have misinterpreted much but there's nothing more devastating than to be extinguished eternally, so far man has interpreted that as a lake of fire forever, that does make sense relatively speaking, as i just said that obviously there is no greater horror to man than to lose his reality as a being eternally. here's another understandable misinterpretation 6:1.5 On your world, but not in your system of inhabited spheres, this Original Son has been confused with a co-ordinate Creator Son, Michael of Nebadon, who bestowed himself upon the mortal races of Urantia.

silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.

J. Barry wrote:
I love the UB telling of where the Hell concept came from.

Can you imagine what a sight of horror that pit was to see, all those decaying body's with all sorts of rodents and carrion birds feeding, not to mention the smell.

After reading the UB account, all those old paintings made so much sence ... Knowing the real life inspiration for them.

PostPosted:  

I'm thinking that after 10,000 years of fire, I'll be ready for Miller Time, and maybe a friendly game of poker with the Guards...
:wink:

PostPosted:  

There appear to be a plethora of inconsistencies with the presented character of the concept of God in the Bible which would constrain Him to cast children to hell. Yet there are many other inconsitencies one finds when they Google contradictions.

When I dove into Christianity I told myself that His justice was not superceded by His love and mercy, and that there had to be recompence according to the law that "the wages of sin is death". Yet I was constantly reminded by the Psalm which declares that His mercy endures forever. It seems incompatable with the reality of the truth that God is love. The New Testament gospels indicate this also.

All of the revelations of universe govenment, justice, judgment, mercy, tolerance, rehabilitation, forgiveness, and glorious destiny as presented in the Urantia Book support the fact that God is love. I find it easy to trust and love the Person of God as revealed in the UB because His very noted faithfulness to His nature is consistently divine and reflects that His attitude is always one of love.

Peace.
-Aaron

PostPosted:  

Good thread and hoping for more insights and references. Technically, TUB would concur that the "wages of sin is death" in at least one way. If you earned "enough" wages, it is a potential, self chosen death of the spirit which may or may not be able or willing to acknowledge or accept mercy. I've had some interesting conversations over the decades with many TUB students who do not exactly agree on this issue. My opinion is it's a rare bird who becomes so entrenched and twisted within iniquity that they are unable to repent when awakened....and my opinion that ALL are awakened for that chance....even the Hitlers and Amins of the planet will face grace. But how much iniquity twists a mortal beyond redemption? Don't know....and certain it's not my problem nor most's.

Evil is but error in motive or tactic. Sin is an awareness of wrong but going forward anyway. Inequity is the embracement of sin repitiously. This does change a person profoundly moving them ever deeper into the shadow of darkness and isolation. I do not believe any act, no matter how vile and sinful, condemns anyone. But its enjoyment and repeated pattern destroys mind and character eventually. Glad I'm not the judge and grateful for the Father's love of His children in it's eternity and infinity. Is not Lucifer still subject to God's patience and mercy - if he would but repent and accept the mercy proffered? Peace.

PostPosted:  

one thing we must be mindful of is that God's love will not cause him to be unjust. The wages of sin is still death even though God loves us. If you look at the depiction of hell in the Bible, you probably dont want to take any chances of going there, unless you dont believe that it is a real place.

What do they say? better to be safe than sorry.

Safety is of the Lord

PostPosted:  

This is all the information I need to stay on the straight and narrow...plus, it just feels a lot better than the other way...

Quote:
2:3.2 How futile to make puerile appeals to such a God to modify his changeless decrees so that we can avoid the just consequences of the operation of his wise natural laws and righteous spiritual mandates! "Be not deceived; God is not mocked, for whatsoever a man sows that shall he also reap." True, even in the justice of reaping the harvest of wrongdoing, this divine justice is always tempered with mercy. Infinite wisdom is the eternal arbiter which determines the proportions of justice and mercy which shall be meted out in any given circumstance. The greatest punishment (in reality an inevitable consequence) for wrongdoing and deliberate rebellion against the government of God is loss of existence as an individual subject of that government. The final result of wholehearted sin is annihilation. In the last analysis, such sin-identified individuals have destroyed themselves by becoming wholly unreal through their embrace of iniquity. The factual disappearance of such a creature is, however, always delayed until the ordained order of justice current in that universe has been fully complied with.

I stopped believing in hell even before I found the UB...it just never made any sense to me...this makes much better sense, imho...

MaryJo