Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:18 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Thought Adjuster?
PostPosted:  

Regardless of whether the date hereof, you'll definitely end at UB, it is important that you read the entire book from beginning to end.

This is because the book itself makes clear that the terms and principles.

To explain my way, I would say that we have inside our minds (or very close to it) a set of what is the Trinity. That is, the Guardian of the Mind (Pass me the word again that I gave) that represents the Father, the Spirit of Truth (which represents the Son) and Holy Spirit is the Divine Minister and then the third Person or Center.

All these "spirits" are unified as in the unitary concept of the Trinity, and all three work in different ways by interacting with each other and then having the same ultimate end.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

it's fact. i don't know why it's so demanding to people, it seems to have a logical flow to me and in fairly simple english. all of it resonates deeply with me. it's the best book to me. truth sensor is an adequate name for the thought adjuster sensor anything that receives a signal or stimulus and responds to it, but since tub doesn't use that term i will stay with tub terms. yes mystery monitor is synonymous with thought adjuster. the thought adjuster is not an it 112:3.7 Upon death the Thought Adjuster temporarily loses personality, but not identity; the human subject temporarily loses identity, but not personality; on the mansion worlds both reunite in eternal manifestation.

the thought adjuster is prepersonal until personality is attained. the thought adjuster speaks 110:7.10 During the making and breaking of a contact between the mortal mind of a destiny reservist and the planetary supervisors, sometimes the indwelling Adjuster is so situated that it becomes possible to transmit a message to the mortal partner. Not long since, on Urantia, such a message was transmitted by a self-acting Adjuster to the human associate, a member of the reserve corps of destiny. This message was introduced by these words: “And now, without injury or jeopardy to the subject of my solicitous devotion and without intent to overchastise or discourage, for me, make record of this my plea to him.” Then followed a beautifully touching and appealing admonition. Among other things, the Adjuster pleaded “that he more faithfully give me his sincere co-operation, more cheerfully endure the tasks of my emplacement, more faithfully carry out the program of my arrangement, more patiently go through the trials of my selection, more persistently and cheerfully tread the path of my choosing, more humbly receive credit that may accrue as a result of my ceaseless endeavors—thus transmit my admonition to the man of my indwelling. Upon him I bestow the supreme devotion and affection of a divine spirit. And say further to my beloved subject that I will function with wisdom and power until the very end, until the last earth struggle is over; I will be true to my personality trust. And I exhort him to survival, not to disappoint me, not to deprive me of the reward of my patient and intense struggle. On the human will our achievement of personality depends. Circle by circle I have patiently ascended this human mind, and I have testimony that I am meeting the approval of the chief of my kind. Circle by circle I am passing on to judgment. I await with pleasure and without apprehension the roll call of destiny; I am prepared to submit all to the tribunals of the Ancients of Days.”

my experience with my thought adjuster is simply that i believe it is there and i try to do the will of this thought adjuster believing this will is synonymous with the will of the universal father. tub talks about the different roles of seraphim and thought adjusters. 108:5.10 If you have a personal guardian of destiny and should fail of survival, that guardian angel must be adjudicated in order to receive vindication as to the faithful execution of her trust. But Thought Adjusters are not thus subjected to examination when their subjects fail to survive. We all know that, while an angel might possibly fall short of the perfection of ministry, Thought Adjusters work in the manner of Paradise perfection; their ministry is characterized by a flawless technique which is beyond the possibility of criticism by any being outside of Divinington. You have perfect guides; therefore is the goal of perfection certainly attainable.

thought adjusters are not judged locally, they go straight to divinington from urantia.

pertti wrote:
Hi all from a new member!

I have been impressed by the quality of the discussions in this forum, and try my best to keep up with it. :)

I've been reading TUB for the last four months and have read only about 700 pages so far. When I started reading it, I had a lot of doubts. However, I decided to put those aside and just enjoy reading it. I thought that after reading it through would be time to decide whether I consider it fact or fiction.

Some parts of TUB are very demanding for the reader, but there have also been many parts that resonate quite deeply with me. In fact, I have not experienced such deep pleasant energizing stillness with any other book before.

One thing that I have already got quite a lot of prior experience with is the Thought Adjuster. Or, rather, I would call it the Truth Senser. There is something inside me that rejoices when it encounters truth, anywhere, from any source. It also seems to direct me to the exact direction where I will find the next revelation or insight that I need. It reminded me about TUB, which I had already browsed 15 years ago but had decided it was not for me. Now, however, I am ready to accept it as the truth.

My question is whether that what I call the Truth Senser is the same thing as the Thought Adjuster? If it is, then I know it already quite intimately and have developed quite good working relations with it. While reading TUB, love has also started growing towards it (is it proper to call it "it"? After all, it is supposed to be prepersonal, isn't it?)

TUB also refers to Mystery Monitor. Is that just another name for the Thought Adjuster or is there a different view point?

What kind of experiences have you had with your Thought Adjusters? How do you distinguish between the actions of the Thought Adjuster and the Guardian Angel? Is there even any importance in knowing the difference?

PostPosted:  

rich.sachs wrote:
the thought adjuster is not an it 112:3.7 Upon death the Thought Adjuster temporarily loses personality, but not identity; the human subject temporarily loses identity, but not personality; on the mansion worlds both reunite in eternal manifestation.

my experience with my thought adjuster is simply that i believe it is there and i try to do the will of this thought adjuster believing this will is synonymous with the will of the universal father.

A few notes:

- I have tried to find in TUB a reference to Thought Adjuster that would use either "it" or "he" but have not found one. Thus, I conclude, that there is no preferred way of referring to TA, except with the full name.

Another note regarding our will as contrasted to Thought Adjusters:

111:1.9 Mind is your ship, the Adjuster is your pilot, the human will is captain. The master of the mortal vessel should have the wisdom to trust the divine pilot to guide the ascending soul into the morontia harbors of eternal survival. Only by selfishness, slothfulness, and sinfulness can the will of man reject the guidance of such a loving pilot and eventually wreck the mortal career upon the evil shoals of rejected mercy and upon the rocks of embraced sin. With your consent, this faithful pilot will safely carry you across the barriers of time and the handicaps of space to the very source of the divine mind and on beyond, even to the Paradise Father of Adjusters.

As I understand this all, we need to supply the will, while Thought Adjuster can help us by telling us what is the best thing to will in each situation. The will that we need to have is simply to follow God. Thought Adjuster will tell/show us how to do that in practice, in real life situations that we encounter. No matter how complex or depressing situations we find ourselves in, Thought Adjuster will help us.

My favourite papers in TUB are 110 to 112 (110. Relation of Adjusters to Individual Mortals, 111. The Adjuster and the Soul, 112. Personality Survival). I have read them several times already, and every time seem to get new depths of meaning.

PostPosted:  

pertti wrote:
rich.sachs wrote:
- I have tried to find in TUB a reference to Thought Adjuster that would use either "it" or "he" but have not found one. Thus, I conclude, that there is no preferred way of referring to TA, except with the full name.

That's an interesting discovery. It appears that they only third-person pronoun that's every applied to the Adjuster in the UB is the plural "they", which unlike the singular pronouns can apply to animate or inanimate beings, persons or things.

Good find.

PostPosted:  

Wow! INTERESTING question Pertti, and awesome answers.

I'm impressed with some quoted posted by Coop:

P1207:2, 110:4.2 The Thought Adjuster is engaged in a constant effort so to spiritualize your mind as to evolve your morontia soul; but you yourself are mostly unconscious of this inner ministry. You are quite incapable of distinguishing the product of your own material intellect from that of the conjoint activities of your soul and the Adjuster.

P1207:3, 110:4.3 Certain abrupt presentations of thoughts, conclusions, and other pictures of mind are sometimes the direct or indirect work of the Adjuster; but far more often they are the sudden emergence into consciousness of ideas which have been grouping themselves together in the submerged mental levels, natural and everyday occurrences of normal and ordinary psychic function inherent in the circuits of the evolving animal mind. (In contrast with these subconscious emanations, the revelations of the Adjuster appear through the realms of the superconscious.)

I wonder if this process can be equated with the idea of the "still, small voice" we hear about.
Although I know people for which it isn't that small: they report a loud, booming, authoritative voice,
which I suspect is a variant. Any thoughts?

PostPosted:  

While the speech of God spoken from the whirlwind was a majestic concept for the day of its utterance, you have already learned that the Father does not thus reveal himself, but rather that he speaks within the human heart as a still, small voice, saying, ‘This is the way; walk therein.’

148:6.10 Job was altogether right when he challenged the doctrine that God afflicts children in order to punish their parents. Job was ever ready to admit that God is righteous, but he longed for some soul-satisfying revelation of the personal character of the Eternal. And that is our mission on earth. No more shall suffering mortals be denied the comfort of knowing the love of God and understanding the mercy of the Father in heaven. While the speech of God spoken from the whirlwind was a majestic concept for the day of its utterance, you have already learned that the Father does not thus reveal himself, but rather that he speaks within the human heart as a still, small voice, saying, ‘This is the way; walk therein.’ Do you not comprehend that God dwells within you, that he has become what you are that he may make you what he is!”

PostPosted:  

34:7.8 Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”

117:5.9 While such spiritual influences as the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Truth are local universe ministrations, their guidance is not wholly confined to the geographic limitations of a given local creation. As the ascending mortal passes beyond the boundaries of his local universe of origin, he is not entirely deprived of the ministry of the Spirit of Truth which has so constantly taught and guided him through the philosophic mazes of the material and morontial worlds, in every crisis of ascension unfailingly directing the Paradise pilgrim, ever saying: “This is the way.” When you leave the domains of the local universe, through the ministry of the spirit of the emerging Supreme Being and through the provisions of superuniverse reflectivity, you will still be guided in your Paradise ascent by the comforting directive spirit of the Paradise bestowal Sons of God.

PostPosted:  

4. The Promised Helper

(1948.2) 180:4.1 Jesus continued to teach, saying: “When I have gone to the Father, and after he has fully accepted the work I have done for you on earth, and after I have received the final sovereignty of my own domain, I shall say to my Father: Having left my children alone on earth, it is in accordance with my promise to send them another teacher. And when the Father shall approve, I will pour out the Spirit of Truth upon all flesh. Already is my Father’s spirit in your hearts, and when this day shall come, you will also have me with you even as you now have the Father. This new gift is the spirit of living truth. The unbelievers will not at first listen to the teachings of this spirit, but the sons of light will all receive him gladly and with a whole heart. And you shall know this spirit when he comes even as you have known me, and you will receive this gift in your hearts, and he will abide with you. You thus perceive that I am not going to leave you without help and guidance. I will not leave you desolate.

(2061.2) 194:2.4 Do not make the mistake of expecting to become strongly intellectually conscious of the outpoured Spirit of Truth. The spirit never creates a consciousness of himself, only a consciousness of Michael, the Son. From the beginning Jesus taught that the spirit would not speak of himself. The proof, therefore, of your fellowship with the Spirit of Truth is not to be found in your consciousness of this spirit but rather in your experience of enhanced fellowship with Michael.

(2062.9) 194:2.20 And so did the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth bring to the world and its peoples the last of the spirit endowment designed to aid in the ascending search for God.

(1291.2) 117:6.25 Men do not find the Supreme suddenly and spectacularly as an earthquake tears chasms into the rocks, but they find him slowly and patiently as a river quietly wears away the soil beneath.

(1291.3) 117:6.26 When you find the Father, you will find the great cause of your spiritual ascent in the universes; when you find the Supreme, you will discover the great result of your career of Paradise progression.

(1291.4) 117:6.27 But no God-knowing mortal can ever be lonely in his journey through the cosmos, for he knows that the Father walks beside him each step of the way, while the very way that he is traversing is the presence of the Supreme.

We may be self isolated...but we are never alone. Always loved "Footprints In The Sand". Peace.

PostPosted:  

The Adjuster's Work In The Mind

P1207:1, 110:4.1

Adjusters are able to receive the continuous stream of cosmic intelligence coming in over the master circuits of time and space; they are in full touch with the spirit intelligence and energy of the universes. But these mighty indwellers are unable to transmit very much of this wealth of wisdom and truth to the minds of their mortal subjects because of the lack of commonness of nature and the absence of responsive recognition.

P1207:2, 110:4.2 The Thought Adjuster is engaged in a constant effort so to spiritualize your mind as to evolve your morontia soul; but you yourself are mostly unconscious of this inner ministry. You are quite incapable of distinguishing the product of your own material intellect from that of the conjoint activities of your soul and the Adjuster.

P1207:3, 110:4.3 Certain abrupt presentations of thoughts, conclusions, and other pictures of mind are sometimes the direct or indirect work of the Adjuster; but far more often they are the sudden emergence into consciousness of ideas which have been grouping themselves together in the submerged mental levels, natural and everyday occurrences of normal and ordinary psychic function inherent in the circuits of the evolving animal mind. (In contrast with these subconscious emanations, the revelations of the Adjuster appear through the realms of the superconscious.)

P1207:4, 110:4.4 Trust all matters of mind beyond the dead level of consciousness to the custody of the Adjusters. In due time, if not in this world then on the mansion worlds, they will give good account of their stewardship, and eventually will they bring forth those meanings and values intrusted to their care and keeping. They will resurrect every worthy treasure of the mortal mind if you survive.

P1207:5, 110:4.5 There exists a vast gulf between the human and the divine, between man and God. The Urantia races are so largely electrically and chemically controlled, so highly animallike in their common behavior, so emotional in their ordinary reactions, that it becomes exceedingly difficult for the Monitors to guide and direct them. You are so devoid of courageous decisions and consecrated co-operation that your indwelling Adjusters find it next to impossible to communicate directly with the human mind. Even when they do find it possible to flash a gleam of new truth to the evolving mortal soul, this spiritual revelation often so blinds the creature as to precipitate a convulsion of fanaticism or to initiate some other intellectual upheaval which results disastrously. Many a new religion and strange "ism" has arisen from the aborted, imperfect, misunderstood, and garbled communications of the Thought Adjusters.

P1207:6, 110:4.6 For many thousands of years, so the records of Jerusem show, in each generation there have lived fewer and fewer beings who could function safely with self-acting Adjusters. This is an alarming picture, and the supervising personalities of Satania look with favor upon the proposals of some of your more immediate planetary supervisors who advocate the inauguration of measures designed to foster and conserve the higher spiritual types of the Urantia races.