Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:01 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

Does the Urantia give any explicit direction on how one should pray? In religions such as Islam and the Baha'i Faith, I think prayer is more than just an exercise of mind. In most of Protestant Christianity and in Mormonism, there seems much less to it; it's just words being put out into space. Does the Urantia Book have anything to offer on the contrasting ways that people pray?

Although I think the way that Muslims and Baha'is pray is made into more of a chore (I hate to put it like that), I really find it very humbling and beautiful. I am less interested in praying like a Mormon over my dinner. So I was just wondering if there's any direcion on how to pray in the UB.

Thanks for reading even if you don't respond.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Hi Light,

Others here can probably find specific text about this. The UB's authors generally define prayer as the expression of the soul. Implied in this is that real prayer should be spontaneous and express what the soul wishes - wishes to ask of God or wishes to understand better in how we should approach life, it's problems and it's privileges, for example.

PostPosted:  

About Prayer

http://www.urantia.org/search/book_search/prayer

Last edited by coop on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:55 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

5:3.3 Worship is for its own sake; prayer embodies a self- or creature-interest element; that is the great difference between worship and prayer. There is absolutely no self-request or other element of personal interest in true worship; we simply worship God for what we comprehend him to be. Worship asks nothing and expects nothing for the worshiper. We do not worship the Father because of anything we may derive from such veneration; we render such devotion and engage in such worship as a natural and spontaneous reaction to the recognition of the Father’s matchless personality and because of his lovable nature and adorable attributes.

5:3.4 The moment the element of self-interest intrudes upon worship, that instant devotion translates from worship to prayer and more appropriately should be directed to the person of the Eternal Son or the Creator Son. But in practical religious experience there exists no reason why prayer should not be addressed to God the Father as a part of true worship.

5:4.8 The Greek religion had a watchword “Know yourself”; the Hebrews centered their teaching on “Know your God”; the Christians preach a gospel aimed at a “knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ”; Jesus proclaimed the good news of “knowing God, and yourself as a son of God.” These differing concepts of the purpose of religion determine the individual’s attitude in various life situations and foreshadow the depth of worship and the nature of his personal habits of prayer. The spiritual status of any religion may be determined by the nature of its prayers.

6:1.4 When a Son of the Eternal Son appeared on Urantia, those who fraternized with this divine being in human form alluded to him as “He who was from the beginning, whom we have heard, whom we have seen with our eyes, whom we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, even the Word of life.” And this bestowal Son came forth from the Father just as truly as did the Original Son, as is suggested in one of his earthly prayers: “And now, O my Father, glorify me with your own self, with the glory which I had with you before this world was.”

7:3.3 The spirit-gravity circuit is the basic channel for transmitting the genuine prayers of the believing human heart from the level of human consciousness to the actual consciousness of Deity. That which represents true spiritual value in your petitions will be seized by the universal circuit of spirit gravity and will pass immediately and simultaneously to all divine personalities concerned. Each will occupy himself with that which belongs to his personal province. Therefore, in your practical religious experience, it is immaterial whether, in addressing your supplications, you visualize the Creator Son of your local universe or the Eternal Son at the center of all things.

7:3.6 Conversely, if your supplications are purely material and wholly self-centered, there exists no plan whereby such unworthy prayers can find lodgment in the spirit circuit of the Eternal Son. The content of any petition which is not “spirit indited” can find no place in the universal spiritual circuit; such purely selfish and material requests fall dead; they do not ascend in the circuits of true spirit values. Such words are as “sounding brass and a tinkling cymbal.”

8:4.8 As man learns more of the loving and tireless ministry of the lower orders of the creature family of this Infinite Spirit, he will all the more admire and adore the transcendent nature and matchless character of this combined Action of the Universal Father and the Eternal Son. Indeed is this Spirit “the eyes of the Lord which are ever over the righteous” and “the divine ears which are ever open to their prayers.”

PostPosted:  

(1848.5) 168:4.5 2. When a prayer is apparently unanswered, the delay often betokens a better answer, although one which is for some good reason greatly delayed. When Jesus said that Lazarus’s sickness was really not to the death, he had already been dead eleven hours. No sincere prayer is denied an answer except when the superior viewpoint of the spiritual world has devised a better answer, an answer which meets the petition of the spirit of man as contrasted with the prayer of the mere mind of man.

PostPosted:  

According to the Urantia Book, prayer is not for the purpose of changing the will of God. Prayer is not magic. Instead, prayer is for the purpose of our discerning the divine will so that we may better conform our lives to it.

PostPosted:  

The following is an alternative prayer to the "Lord's Prayer" recited in other parts of our Grand Universe, found in UB p.1622; 144:5: Prayer #2:

"Our creative Parent, who is at the center of the universe,
Bestow upon us your nature and give to us your character.
Make us sons and daughters of yours by grace
And glorify your name through our eternal achievement.
Your adjusting and controlling spirit give to live and dwell within us
That we may do your will on this sphere as the angels do your bidding in light.
Sustain us this day in our progress along the path of truth.
Deliver us from inertia, evil, and all sinful transgression.
Be patient with us as we show loving-kindness to our fellows.
Shed abroad the spirit of your mercy in our creature hearts.
Lead us by your own hand, step by step, through the uncertain maze of life,
And when our end shall come, receive into your own bosom our faithful spirits.
Even so, not our desires but your will be done."

I have become habituated to reciting this prayer of which I have become greatly enamored. I found it to be eminently fitting and personally relevant. Please do bear in mind that as you recite this prayer, you are addressing yourselves to a God who glories and delights in answering prayers.

PostPosted:  

Yes, that's one of my favorite parts of the book as well.
The 'other forms of prayer section' (144:5) which includes prayers from other inhabited planets.

Raymond Benjamins wrote:
The following is an alternative prayer to the "Lord's Prayer" recited in other parts of our Grand Universe, found in UB p.1622; 144:5: Prayer #2:

"Our creative Parent, who is at the center of the universe,
Bestow upon us your nature and give to us your character.
Make us sons and daughters of yours by grace
<snip>

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

http://truthbook.com/urantia/topical-studies/prayer
and
http://truthbook.com/urantia-book/prayers-in-the-urantia-book