Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:47 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

I came across a website today, http://www.freeurantia.org/crimes.htm , that states several instances where the Urantia Foundation supposedly did things that are, to be honest, disturbing. I don't know how much of what the site says is true, but it is worth looking at, and they do bring up certain things which make me wonder, such as, why did the Foundation destroy the original printing plates, and, why did they alter the text before being caught (supposedly) by a reader. I love the U Book, and it has changed my life, but I would be lying to say that I have not wondered if the Book was a direct revelation, or if it was authored by a cunning individual.
So, I guess what I am asking for here is other readers opinions about the authenticity of the current Urantia Book, as well as thoughts as to whether or not the Book is a Revelation, or if it is made up. I dont wish to rile feathers, I am, as always, just seeking answers. I appreciate your time and effort in this.

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

It is true that over the year some unfortunate persons have play a roll in the history of the U.B. and caused many to wonder what is going on, many of those issue over time have work themselves out, those persons are no longer working for the foundation, and the community's have been repairing them selfs..building new relationship and bonds to the many read-ships and the Trustees of our beloved Book.

In the final Analise, it is you that will have to ask your self if the book has brought any thing to the table in your life and if so to that degree it holds truth. that is the same for every one, and for all materials that claim to hold answer to the many question we humans have about God and the beyond.

If you are looking for evidence to the book being what it claims, looking in our Media postings there has been some really great posts on new science that our scientist have discover in the last 15 year and even more recent that the U.B. had given us...that make me lean toward the belief that some divine source had a hand in it's making.

As for me...I had my own personal discovery of God and Awakening, that after 2 year of walking with God found the U.B...thus with in it's papers i found in written word, many of the things i had been experiencing,but could not put into language .. yes the book rang true to me in many ways.

I will also admit that there are thing the U.B. talks about that I either don't understand or just does not jive with me, but that does not diminish the trues and enlightening guidance that does in fact fill it's pages.

So in the end the journey is yours, stay true to it, and keep love close to your heart as you pass by others. I have faith you will know what is working in your life and follow the path that feeds you best.

Stay True To The Journey

PostPosted:  

The book itself is a revelation. It is not a hoax. The people surrounding the book, however, from top to bottom, inside out and cattywampus, are all fallible. In my several serious issues over many years with the Foundation, the Fellowship, and the cults that have sprung up from the Urantia Papers, the book itself has always been there, always right on, always leading me in my divine quest, always revealing truth, beauty and goodness. Fear not. The book is real. We, however, are a long way from being either perfect or complete.

PostPosted:  

Thats all good and well, but do you believe that the book has been altered? I agree whole heartedly with your response. I love the book and would love it even if it were proved to be made up.... revelation is revelation.

PostPosted:  

No, I do not believe the book has been altered -- not in any substantive manner. Maybe a comma here and there, a redundancy fixed, a hypen eliminated -- but nothing has changed the meaning of the text. I've reviewed the listing of changes that were made and they are justifiable. Lawyers are very "anal." They are ultra concerned about every jot and tittle. So all the I's have been properly dotted and all the T's have been properly crossed, but the basic book is intact. Nothing has been done to alter the essence of the revelation.

PostPosted:  

Good question Nebadonomega,

This link will take you to an explaination and what's being done to standardize the text for all time:

http://www.urantia.org/news/2009-12/0ctober-2009-board-meeting-notes

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Yes, there have been undocumented alterations to the text of The Urantia Book in every printing since the first and yes there are those who believe "crimes" against the book have been committed by those responsible. However, reading the posting guidelines you'll see that this is not a topic up for discussion on this discussion list.

On the Truthbook.com home page, under "The Urantia Book" is this link to "Corrections And Changes Made To The Urantia Book Since The First Printing" which was one of the first comprehensive lists of alterations made by both Urantia Foundation and the Fellowship in their printings... approximately 300 changes are recorded there.

The Urantia Foundation has just released its new website, replacing the original one -- it's at www.urantia.org The website is still under construction and will be in the process of being modified and updated for months to come so you may bump into things that require improvement as you browse -- however, there's a new version of The Urantia Book on the site you may wish to check out available from the Read link This is the new standardized text of The Urantia Book; click on the Foreword in the list of titles and you'll see that the heading above the text says "Urantia Book Standardized." You'll also find asterisks at the end of various paragraphs throughout the text -- the first one being at (3.11) 0:1.24 in the Foreword. The asterisk provides an explanation of the change made to the paragraph. To learn more about standardizing the Urantia Book an abbreviated version of the standardization document is available here.

PostPosted:  

I think it's perfectly understandable that the Urantia Foundation kept a copyright on the Urantia Book and prevented authors from using it without permission. Every translation of the Bible today is copyrighted and requires correct attribution in order to be quoted.

PostPosted:  

The changes to the UB were made, but they were minor. Mostly grammar errors, punctuation, etc. I have read over the changes and did not see any that really changed the meaning or context of any verse.

Google around and you will find the changes listed.

PostPosted:  

information can or could come from anywhere, it's irrelevent, all that matters is how a person feels about what they read. i have a strong affinity for tub and that's all that matters to me, i see it as the most excellent book out there for what it talks about and i can enjoy it much. 1:2.8 Those who know God have experienced the fact of his presence; such God-knowing mortals hold in their personal experience the only positive proof of the existence of the living God which one human being can offer to another. The existence of God is utterly beyond all possibility of demonstration except for the contact between the God-consciousness of the human mind and the God-presence of the Thought Adjuster that indwells the mortal intellect and is bestowed upon man as the free gift of the Universal Father.

you can't prove god either. it's a matter of faith and belief.

nebadonomega wrote:
I came across a website today, http://www.freeurantia.org/crimes.htm , that states several instances where the Urantia Foundation supposedly did things that are, to be honest, disturbing. I don't know how much of what the site says is true, but it is worth looking at, and they do bring up certain things which make me wonder, such as, why did the Foundation destroy the original printing plates, and, why did they alter the text before being caught (supposedly) by a reader. I love the U Book, and it has changed my life, but I would be lying to say that I have not wondered if the Book was a direct revelation, or if it was authored by a cunning individual.
So, I guess what I am asking for here is other readers opinions about the authenticity of the current Urantia Book, as well as thoughts as to whether or not the Book is a Revelation, or if it is made up. I dont wish to rile feathers, I am, as always, just seeking answers. I appreciate your time and effort in this.