Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:57 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted:  

What does it mean to say that The Urantia Book is a revelation?

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

urantiangirl wrote:
What does it mean to say that The Urantia Book is a revelation?

There is "personal revelation" and there is "epochal revelation". Personal revelation is between Deity and the mortal directly. Epochal revelation is a planned planetary revelation and the UB claims itself to be only the 5th such epochal revelation in planetary history (so far, with more to come).

"Revelation": https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

92:3.5 (1006.2) Only two influences can modify and uplift the dogmas of natural religion: the pressure of the slowly advancing mores and the periodic illumination of epochal revelation. And it is not strange that progress was slow; in ancient days, to be progressive or inventive meant to be killed as a sorcerer. The cult advances slowly in generation epochs and agelong cycles. But it does move forward. Evolutionary belief in ghosts laid the foundation for a philosophy of revealed religion which will eventually destroy the superstition of its origin.

4. The Gift of Revelation

92:4.1 (1007.1) Revelation is evolutionary but always progressive. Down through the ages of a world’s history, the revelations of religion are ever-expanding and successively more enlightening. It is the mission of revelation to sort and censor the successive religions of evolution. But if revelation is to exalt and upstep the religions of evolution, then must such divine visitations portray teachings which are not too far removed from the thought and reactions of the age in which they are presented. Thus must and does revelation always keep in touch with evolution. Always must the religion of revelation be limited by man’s capacity of receptivity.

92:4.2 (1007.2) But regardless of apparent connection or derivation, the religions of revelation are always characterized by a belief in some Deity of final value and in some concept of the survival of personality identity after death.

92:4.3 (1007.3) Evolutionary religion is sentimental, not logical. It is man’s reaction to belief in a hypothetical ghost-spirit world—the human belief-reflex, excited by the realization and fear of the unknown. Revelatory religion is propounded by the real spiritual world; it is the response of the superintellectual cosmos to the mortal hunger to believe in, and depend upon, the universal Deities. Evolutionary religion pictures the circuitous gropings of humanity in quest of truth; revelatory religion is that very truth.

92:4.4 (1007.4) There have been many events of religious revelation but only five of epochal significance. These were as follows:

92:4.5 (1007.5) 1. The Dalamatian teachings. The true concept of the First Source and Center was first promulgated on Urantia by the one hundred corporeal members of Prince Caligastia’s staff. This expanding revelation of Deity went on for more than three hundred thousand years until it was suddenly terminated by the planetary secession and the disruption of the teaching regime. Except for the work of Van, the influence of the Dalamatian revelation was practically lost to the whole world. Even the Nodites had forgotten this truth by the time of Adam’s arrival. Of all who received the teachings of the one hundred, the red men held them longest, but the idea of the Great Spirit was but a hazy concept in Amerindian religion when contact with Christianity greatly clarified and strengthened it.

92:4.6 (1007.6) 2. The Edenic teachings. Adam and Eve again portrayed the concept of the Father of all to the evolutionary peoples. The disruption of the first Eden halted the course of the Adamic revelation before it had ever fully started. But the aborted teachings of Adam were carried on by the Sethite priests, and some of these truths have never been entirely lost to the world. The entire trend of Levantine religious evolution was modified by the teachings of the Sethites. But by 2500 B.C. mankind had largely lost sight of the revelation sponsored in the days of Eden.

92:4.7 (1007.7) 3. Melchizedek of Salem. This emergency Son of Nebadon inaugurated the third revelation of truth on Urantia. The cardinal precepts of his teachings were trust and faith. He taught trust in the omnipotent beneficence of God and proclaimed that faith was the act by which men earned God’s favor. His teachings gradually commingled with the beliefs and practices of various evolutionary religions and finally developed into those theologic systems present on Urantia at the opening of the first millennium after Christ.

92:4.8 (1008.1) 4. Jesus of Nazareth. Christ Michael presented for the fourth time to Urantia the concept of God as the Universal Father, and this teaching has generally persisted ever since. The essence of his teaching was love and service, the loving worship which a creature son voluntarily gives in recognition of, and response to, the loving ministry of God his Father; the freewill service which such creature sons bestow upon their brethren in the joyous realization that in this service they are likewise serving God the Father.

92:4.9 (1008.2) 5. The Urantia Papers. The papers, of which this is one, constitute the most recent presentation of truth to the mortals of Urantia. These papers differ from all previous revelations, for they are not the work of a single universe personality but a composite presentation by many beings. But no revelation short of the attainment of the Universal Father can ever be complete. All other celestial ministrations are no more than partial, transient, and practically adapted to local conditions in time and space. While such admissions as this may possibly detract from the immediate force and authority of all revelations, the time has arrived on Urantia when it is advisable to make such frank statements, even at the risk of weakening the future influence and authority of this, the most recent of the revelations of truth to the mortal races of Urantia.

4. The Limitations of Revelation

101:4.1 (1109.2) Because your world is generally ignorant of origins, even of physical origins, it has appeared to be wise from time to time to provide instruction in cosmology. And always has this made trouble for the future. The laws of revelation hamper us greatly by their proscription of the impartation of unearned or premature knowledge. Any cosmology presented as a part of revealed religion is destined to be outgrown in a very short time. Accordingly, future students of such a revelation are tempted to discard any element of genuine religious truth it may contain because they discover errors on the face of the associated cosmologies therein presented.

101:4.2 (1109.3) Mankind should understand that we who participate in the revelation of truth are very rigorously limited by the instructions of our superiors. We are not at liberty to anticipate the scientific discoveries of a thousand years. Revelators must act in accordance with the instructions which form a part of the revelation mandate. We see no way of overcoming this difficulty, either now or at any future time. We full well know that, while the historic facts and religious truths of this series of revelatory presentations will stand on the records of the ages to come, within a few short years many of our statements regarding the physical sciences will stand in need of revision in consequence of additional scientific developments and new discoveries. These new developments we even now foresee, but we are forbidden to include such humanly undiscovered facts in the revelatory records. Let it be made clear that revelations are not necessarily inspired. The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired. It is limited by our permission for the co-ordination and sorting of present-day knowledge. While divine or spiritual insight is a gift, human wisdom must evolve.

101:4.3 (1109.4) Truth is always a revelation: autorevelation when it emerges as a result of the work of the indwelling Adjuster; epochal revelation when it is presented by the function of some other celestial agency, group, or personality.

101:4.4 (1109.5) In the last analysis, religion is to be judged by its fruits, according to the manner and the extent to which it exhibits its own inherent and divine excellence.

101:4.5 (1109.6) Truth may be but relatively inspired, even though revelation is invariably a spiritual phenomenon. While statements with reference to cosmology are never inspired, such revelations are of immense value in that they at least transiently clarify knowledge by:

101:4.6 (1109.7) 1. The reduction of confusion by the authoritative elimination of error.

101:4.7 (1109.8) 2. The co-ordination of known or about-to-be-known facts and observations.

101:4.8 (1110.1) 3. The restoration of important bits of lost knowledge concerning epochal transactions in the distant past.

101:4.9 (1110.2) 4. The supplying of information which will fill in vital missing gaps in otherwise earned knowledge.

101:4.10 (1110.3) 5. Presenting cosmic data in such a manner as to illuminate the spiritual teachings contained in the accompanying revelation.

5. Religion Expanded by Revelation
101:5.1 (1110.4) Revelation is a technique whereby ages upon ages of time are saved in the necessary work of sorting and sifting the errors of evolution from the truths of spirit acquirement.

:D

Me here: When the authors say that the cosmology presented is limited but not "inspired", I believe they are telling us that the cosmology is factual but not complete. Truth is inspired. Facts are facts. We are also told that the history presented will stand the tests of time. I have come to believe the claims of the authors about the contents of the Papers and the claims of its reality perspective. Such a belief does not (or should not) come too easily and is certainly not required to appreciate and benefit by its study. Over time and multiple readings the UB presents a portrait of the universe that is coherent and functional and logical and reasonable and, for me anyway, believable!! But it took me a long time to come to that conclusion personally. And its not important to me who else might agree or disagree. To each their own. We are all God's beloved children and are one family in a friendly universe. I thought so before I found the UB which confirms that reality!!

8)

34:5.4 (379.4) When mind is thus endowed with the ministry of the Holy Spirit, it possesses the capacity for (consciously or unconsciously) choosing the spiritual presence of the Universal Father—the Thought Adjuster. But it is not until a bestowal Son has liberated the Spirit of Truth for planetary ministry to all mortals that all normal minds are automatically prepared for the reception of the Thought Adjusters. The Spirit of Truth works as one with the presence of the spirit of the Divine Minister. This dual spirit liaison hovers over the worlds, seeking to teach truth and to spiritually enlighten the minds of men, to inspire the souls of the creatures of the ascending races, and to lead the peoples dwelling on the evolutionary planets ever towards their Paradise goal of divine destiny.

34:5.5 (379.5) Though the Spirit of Truth is poured out upon all flesh, this spirit of the Son is almost wholly limited in function and power by man’s personal reception of that which constitutes the sum and substance of the mission of the bestowal Son. The Holy Spirit is partly independent of human attitude and partially conditioned by the decisions and co-operation of the will of man. Nevertheless, the ministry of the Holy Spirit becomes increasingly effective in the sanctification and spiritualization of the inner life of those mortals who the more fully obey the divine leadings.

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

What is the definition of "inspired" with regards to The Urantia Book?

As a former Christian, my understanding of revelation and inspiration are different, I suspect, from what these words mean in The Urantia Book. The words are the same but their definitions seem to differ.

Once upon a time, when I would quote the Bible, that was the end of the discussion for me. It was the "Thus says the Lord" mentality. Should I approach The Urantia Book the same way? To what extent do its words have authority over me? Its worldview that is completely different than what I am used to, but so far, it is superior to anything that I had formally embraced.

PostPosted:  

urantiangirl wrote:

As a former Christian, my understanding of revelation and inspiration are different, I suspect, from what these words mean in The Urantia Book. The words are the same but their definitions seem to differ.

Once upon a time, when I would quote the Bible, that was the end of the discussion for me. It was the "Thus says the Lord" mentality. Should I approach The Urantia Book the same way? To what extent do its words have authority over me? Its worldview that is completely different than what I am used to, but so far, it is superior to anything that I had formally embraced.

I surmised that both the 4th and 5th epochal revelations are not revelatory, if you will, for only Urantians - they are epochal for everyone in Nebadon.

PostPosted:  

Truth is inspired to me. Art is inspired. The UB is not the "word of God" by any claim or definition. Neither is the Bible. The words in the Bible are written by people, perhaps inspired people. People who received personal revelation and were inspired to write about it. Somebody else later claimed it to be scripture or God's Word.

Nothing written by people or angels or midwayers or celestials is the word of God.

Truth is where you find it. Truth, beauty, and goodness inspire people. Inspired people express the experience of inspiration.

Interesting questions..... :wink:

"Inspire"

VERB

fill (someone) with the urge or ability to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.
"his passion for romantic literature inspired him to begin writing"

synonyms:

stimulate · motivate · cause · incline · persuade · encourage · influence · [more]

create (a feeling, especially a positive one) in a person.

synonyms:

arouse · awaken · prompt · cause · induce · ignite · trigger · kindle · produce · generate · bring out · bring about · give rise to · sow the seeds of · enkindle

(inspire someone with)

animate someone with (such a feeling).

"inspiration":

NOUN

the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative.

synonyms:

creativity · inventiveness · innovation · innovativeness · ingenuity · [more]

the quality of being inspired, especially when evident in something.

a person or thing that inspires.

synonyms:

stimulus · stimulation · motivation · motivating force

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:11 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Student wrote:
urantiangirl wrote:

I surmised that both the 4th and 5th epochal revelations are not revelatory, if you will, for only Urantians - they are epochal for everyone in Nebadon.

I don't think so. Each evolutionary world has its own epochs and evolutionary progress...uniquely so in many ways!! Nebadon or Local Universes do not experience such epochal and evolutionary dispensations (that I know of by the UB). I think it important to not confuse new readers by epochal and dispensational evolutionary progress on evolutionary worlds with the 7 bestowal missions of the Creator Son.

Knowledge at the System and Universe levels is certain and universal. There is only one reality. On evolutionary worlds it is discovered incrementally. Not so at the universe level or celestial level. I do agree all of Nebadon's celestials and broadcasts were focused on Urantia during Michael’s final bestowal which was both a planetary epochal revelation event and the transformation of a Creator Son into a Master Son. Two events in one bestowal but each distinct in nature and purpose.

Perhaps a study of Planetary Mortal Epochs would be helpful?? Paper 52.

52:0.1 (589.1) FROM the inception of life on an evolutionary planet to the time of its final flowering in the era of light and life, there appear upon the stage of world action at least seven epochs of human life. These successive ages are determined by the planetary missions of the divine Sons, and on an average inhabited world these epochs appear in the following order:

52:0.2 (589.2) 1. Pre-Planetary Prince Man.

52:0.3 (589.3) 2. Post-Planetary Prince Man.

52:0.4 (589.4) 3. Post-Adamic Man.

52:0.5 (589.5) 4. Post-Magisterial Son Man.

52:0.6 (589.6) 5. Post-Bestowal Son Man.

52:0.7 (589.7) 6. Post-Teacher Son Man.

52:0.8 (589.8) 7. The Era of Light and Life.

52:5.1 (595.6) When a certain standard of intellectual and spiritual development is attained on an inhabited world, a Paradise bestowal Son always arrives. On normal worlds he does not appear in the flesh until the races have ascended to the highest levels of intellectual development and ethical attainment. But on Urantia the bestowal Son, even your own Creator Son, appeared at the close of the Adamic dispensation, but that is not the usual order of events on the worlds of space.

52:5.2 (595.7) When the worlds have become ripe for spiritualization, the bestowal Son arrives. These Sons always belong to the Magisterial or Avonal order except in that case, once in each local universe, when the Creator Son prepares for his terminal bestowal on some evolutionary world, as occurred when Michael of Nebadon appeared on Urantia to bestow himself upon your mortal races. Only one world in near ten million can enjoy such a gift; all other worlds are spiritually advanced by the bestowal of a Paradise Son of the Avonal order.

Me here: The 7 Creator Son Bestowals are not related to the Planetary Mortal Epochs except, perhaps, one world in 10 million.

7. The Seventh and Final Bestowal

119:7.1 (1316.4) For tens of thousands of years we all looked forward to the seventh and final bestowal of Michael. Gabriel had taught us that this terminal bestowal would be made in the likeness of mortal flesh, but we were wholly ignorant of the time, place, and manner of this culminating adventure.

119:7.2 (1316.5) The public announcement that Michael had selected Urantia as the theater for his final bestowal was made shortly after we learned about the default of Adam and Eve. And thus, for more than thirty-five thousand years, your world occupied a very conspicuous place in the councils of the entire universe. There was no secrecy (aside from the incarnation mystery) connected with any step in the Urantia bestowal. From first to last, up to the final and triumphant return of Michael to Salvington as supreme Universe Sovereign, there was the fullest universe publicity of all that transpired on your small but highly honored world.

119:7.3 (1316.6) While we believed that this would be the method, we never knew, until the time of the event itself, that Michael would appear on earth as a helpless infant of the realm. Theretofore had he always appeared as a fully developed individual of the personality group of the bestowal selection, and it was a thrilling announcement which was broadcast from Salvington telling that the babe of Bethlehem had been born on Urantia.

119:7.4 (1316.7) We then not only realized that our Creator and friend was taking the most precarious step in all his career, apparently risking his position and authority on this bestowal as a helpless infant, but we also understood that his experience in this final and mortal bestowal would eternally enthrone him as the undisputed and supreme sovereign of the universe of Nebadon. For a third of a century of earth time all eyes in all parts of this local universe were focused on Urantia. All intelligences realized that the last bestowal was in progress, and as we had long known of the Lucifer rebellion in Satania and of the Caligastia disaffection on Urantia, we well understood the intensity of the struggle which would ensue when our ruler condescended to incarnate on Urantia in the humble form and likeness of mortal flesh.

PostPosted:  

"I surmised that both the 4th and 5th epochal revelations are not revelatory, if you will, for only Urantians - they are epochal for everyone in Nebadon."

Hi Bradley,

The completed bestowal missions of a Creator Son are "epochal" - anytime anywhere they happen. It's a big deal.

Another thing I surmised is that The Urantia Book starts off in Part 1 addressing the issues Lucifer had with "there is no God", so it's a revelation for everyone :-)

Epochal is an adjective - you know how to use those properly in a sentence, don't you? LOL

epochal
[ˈepəkəl]
ADJECTIVE
forming or characterizing an epoch; epoch-making.
"the epochal scale of change in the East" · "the beginning of Jesus's human life is an epochal event"

PostPosted:  

Student wrote:
"I surmised that both the 4th and 5th epochal revelations are not revelatory, if you will, for only Urantians - they are epochal for everyone in Nebadon."

Hi Bradley,

The completed bestowal missions of a Creator Son are "epochal" - anytime anywhere they happen. It's a big deal.

Another thing I surmised is that The Urantia Book starts off in Part 1 addressing the issues Lucifer had with "there is no God", so it's a revelation for everyone :-)

Epochal is an adjective - you know how to use those properly in a sentence, don't you? LOL

epochal
[ˈepəkəl]
ADJECTIVE
forming or characterizing an epoch; epoch-making.
"the epochal scale of change in the East" · "the beginning of Jesus's human life is an epochal event"

It's good to be amused. I can use an adjective, yes thank you, perhaps even properly. :wink: LOL indeed.

Hmmmm......

I have no idea why anyone would think that any part of the UB might be revelatory to any celestial in Nebadon. Such information as presented in Parts I and II is a most elementary orientation of universe cosmology. Lucifer's folly was not due to ignorance or lack of information, according to the Papers.

Universe reality and cosmology are not unknown to the celestial family in any local universe but are taught to all beings throughout the universes of time. All of reality is a university of continuous education and experience.

Satania and the Constellations and Nebadon are visited and ministered by Paradise Beings and Finaliters and those many representatives of the Superuniverse too!! It is a contradiction of the UB to believe or claim that any information in the UB was unknown to the leaders of the system rebellion. Or unknown to any celestial in Nebadon.

35:3.20 (388.7) The schools of universe administration and spiritual wisdom are located on the Melchizedek home world, where also are to be found those schools devoted to a single line of research, such as energy, matter, organization, communication, records, ethics, and comparative creature existence.

35:3.21 (388.8) In the Melchizedek College of Spiritual Endowment all orders—even the Paradise orders—of the Sons of God co-operate with the Melchizedek and the seraphic teachers in training the hosts who go forth as evangels of destiny, proclaiming spiritual liberty and divine sonship even to the remote worlds of the universe. This particular school of the Melchizedek University is an exclusive universe institution; student visitors are not received from other realms.

35:3.22 (388.9) The highest course of training in universe administration is given by the Melchizedeks on their home world. This College of High Ethics is presided over by the original Father Melchizedek. It is to these schools that the various universes send exchange students. While the young universe of Nebadon stands low in the scale of universes as regards spiritual achievement and high ethical development, nevertheless, our administrative troubles have so turned the whole universe into a vast clinic for other near-by creations that the Melchizedek colleges are thronged with student visitors and observers from other realms. Besides the immense group of local registrants there are always upward of one hundred thousand foreign students in attendance upon the Melchizedek schools, for the order of Melchizedeks in Nebadon is renowned throughout all Splandon.

8)

So...no, the UB is not an epochal revelation or epochal or revelatory to anyone in Nebadon except the mortals of Urantia.

The term "epochal" is common enough and descriptive of much perhaps. But as presented in the UB it has quite specific applications as were referenced. Those do not include any description in the UB of the 7 bestowal missions of the Creator Michael Sons...except, as noted, those which are magisterial bestowals as experienced on Urantia- a one in ten million occurrence.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 pm +0000, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted:  

I have understood that Jesus was a revelation of the Father not only to Urantia, but to all the worlds of Nebadon:

Quote:
"The Scriptures contain much that is true, very much, but in the light of your present teaching, you know that these writings also contain much that is misrepresentative of the Father in heaven, the loving God I have come to reveal to all the worlds."

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-159-the-decapolis-tour#U159_4_4

Quote:
180:6.7 And so are you about to sorrow over my departure, but I will soon see you again, and then will your sorrow be turned into rejoicing, and there shall come to you a new revelation of the salvation of God which no man can ever take away from you. And all the worlds will be blessed in this same revelation of life in effecting the overthrow of death. Hitherto have you made all your requests in my Father's name. After you see me again, you may also ask in my name, and I will hear you.

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-180-the-farewell-discourse#U180_6_7

Quote:
188:4.7 Though it is hardly proper to speak of Jesus as a sacrificer, a ransomer, or a redeemer, it is wholly correct to refer to him as a savior. He forever made the way of salvation (survival) more clear and certain; he did better and more surely show the way of salvation for all the mortals of all the worlds of the universe of Nebadon.

https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/paper-188-the-time-of-the-tomb#U188_4_7

The Urantia Book itself may not be for all the worlds, but the revelation of Jesus surely was, and is.

PostPosted:  

Certainly so. I think each of Michael’s 7 bestowals was an example and revelation of the Father to all of Nebadon. Everything a Paradise Creator Son does is a representation of God the Father.

But let us not confuse epochal revelation or the planetary mortal epochs with the bestowal ministries of the Creator Son. And definitely let us not blame the system rebellion on ignorance or misunderstanding the universe realities well known throughout Satania and Nebadon.

The question posed is - "What does it mean to say that TUB is a revelation?"

As to the Son representing the Father:

6:0.3 (73.3) The Eternal Son is the spiritual personalization of the Paradise Father’s universal and infinite concept of divine reality, unqualified spirit, and absolute personality. And thereby does the Son constitute the divine revelation of the creator identity of the Universal Father. The perfect personality of the Son discloses that the Father is actually the eternal and universal source of all the meanings and values of the spiritual, the volitional, the purposeful, and the personal.

6:2.2 (74.7) The Eternal Son is the eternal Word of God. He is wholly like the Father; in fact, the Eternal Son is God the Father personally manifest to the universe of universes. And thus it was and is and forever will be true of the Eternal Son and of all the co-ordinate Creator Sons: “He who has seen the Son has seen the Father.”

6:2.3 (74.8) In nature the Son is wholly like the spirit Father. When we worship the Universal Father, actually we at the same time worship God the Son and God the Spirit. God the Son is just as divinely real and eternal in nature as God the Father.

6:2.4 (75.1) The Son not only possesses all the Father’s infinite and transcendent righteousness, but the Son is also reflective of all the Father’s holiness of character. The Son shares the Father’s perfection and jointly shares the responsibility of aiding all creatures of imperfection in their spiritual efforts to attain divine perfection.

6:2.5 (75.2) The Eternal Son possesses all the Father’s character of divinity and attributes of spirituality. The Son is the fullness of God’s absoluteness in personality and spirit, and these qualities the Son reveals in his personal management of the spiritual government of the universe of universes.

8)

Paper 21

The Paradise Creator Sons

21:0.1 (234.1) THE Creator Sons are the makers and rulers of the local universes of time and space. These universe creators and sovereigns are of dual origin, embodying the characteristics of God the Father and God the Son. But each Creator Son is different from every other; each is unique in nature as well as in personality; each is the “only-begotten Son” of the perfect deity ideal of his origin.

21:0.2 (234.2) In the vast work of organizing, evolving, and perfecting a local universe, these high Sons always enjoy the sustaining approval of the Universal Father. The relationship of the Creator Sons with their Paradise Father is touching and superlative. No doubt the profound affection of the Deity parents for their divine progeny is the wellspring of that beautiful and well-nigh divine love which even mortal parents bear their children.

21:0.3 (234.3) These primary Paradise Sons are personalized as Michaels. As they go forth from Paradise to found their universes, they are known as Creator Michaels. When settled in supreme authority, they are called Master Michaels. Sometimes we refer to the sovereign of your universe of Nebadon as Christ Michael. Always and forever do they reign after the “order of Michael,” that being the designation of the first Son of their order and nature.

8)

Me here: The potential for error/evil and for sin and iniquity and even rebellion is thoroughly explained in the UB for those who are interested. Ignorance of universe reality and cosmology and origins and first causes and destinies and relationships is NOT the cause of any of those except for the mortals of evolutionary origin in the early epochs of planetary history.

Again...to claim otherwise is a direct contradiction of the UB and an excuse for the inexcusable and very deliberate act of defiant and iniquitous rebellion as presented in the Urantia Papers.

32:3.4 (360.6) With the exception of the deity presence of the Father, every local universe is, in a certain sense, a duplication of the administrative organization of the central or pattern creation. Although the Universal Father is personally present in the residential universe, he does not indwell the minds of the beings originating in that universe as he does literally dwell with the souls of the mortals of time and space. There seems to be an all-wise compensation in the adjustment and regulation of the spiritual affairs of the far-flung creation. In the central universe the Father is personally present as such but absent in the minds of the children of that perfect creation; in the universes of space the Father is absent in person, being represented by his Sovereign Sons, while he is intimately present in the minds of his mortal children, being spiritually represented by the prepersonal presence of the Mystery Monitors that reside in the minds of these will creatures.

32:3.5 (360.7) On the headquarters of a local universe there reside all those creator and creative personalities who represent self-contained authority and administrative autonomy except the personal presence of the Universal Father. In the local universe there are to be found something of everyone and someone of almost every class of intelligent beings existing in the central universe except the Universal Father. Although the Universal Father is not personally present in a local universe, he is personally represented by its Creator Son, sometime vicegerent of God and subsequently supreme and sovereign ruler in his own right.

32:3.6 (361.1) The farther down the scale of life we go, the more difficult it becomes to locate, with the eye of faith, the invisible Father. The lower creatures—and sometimes even the higher personalities—find it difficult always to envisage the Universal Father in his Creator Sons. And so, pending the time of their spiritual exaltation, when perfection of development will enable them to see God in person, they grow weary in progression, entertain spiritual doubts, stumble into confusion, and thus isolate themselves from the progressive spiritual aims of their time and universe. In this way they lose the ability to see the Father when beholding the Creator Son. The surest safeguard for the creature throughout the long struggle to attain the Father, during this time when inherent conditions make such attainment impossible, is tenaciously to hold on to the truth-fact of the Father’s presence in his Sons. Literally and figuratively, spiritually and personally, the Father and the Sons are one. It is a fact: He who has seen a Creator Son has seen the Father.

32:3.7 (361.2) The personalities of a given universe are settled and dependable, at the start, only in accordance with their degree of kinship to Deity. When creature origin departs sufficiently far from the original and divine Sources, whether we are dealing with the Sons of God or the creatures of ministry belonging to the Infinite Spirit, there is an increase in the possibility of disharmony, confusion, and sometimes rebellion—sin.

32:3.8 (361.3) Excepting perfect beings of Deity origin, all will creatures in the superuniverses are of evolutionary nature, beginning in lowly estate and climbing ever upward, in reality inward. Even highly spiritual personalities continue to ascend the scale of life by progressive translations from life to life and from sphere to sphere. And in the case of those who entertain the Mystery Monitors, there is indeed no limit to the possible heights of their spiritual ascent and universe attainment.

32:3.9 (361.4) The perfection of the creatures of time, when finally achieved, is wholly an acquirement, a bona fide personality possession. While the elements of grace are freely admixed, nevertheless, the creature attainments are the result of individual effort and actual living, personality reaction to the existing environment.

8)

67:1.4 (754.5) There are many ways of looking at sin, but from the universe philosophic viewpoint sin is the attitude of a personality who is knowingly resisting cosmic reality. Error might be regarded as a misconception or distortion of reality. Evil is a partial realization of, or maladjustment to, universe realities. But sin is a purposeful resistance to divine reality—a conscious choosing to oppose spiritual progress—while iniquity consists in an open and persistent defiance of recognized reality and signifies such a degree of personality disintegration as to border on cosmic insanity.

67:1.5 (755.1) Error suggests lack of intellectual keenness; evil, deficiency of wisdom; sin, abject spiritual poverty; but iniquity is indicative of vanishing personality control.

67:1.6 (755.2) And when sin has so many times been chosen and so often been repeated, it may become habitual. Habitual sinners can easily become iniquitous, become wholehearted rebels against the universe and all of its divine realities. While all manner of sins may be forgiven, we doubt whether the established iniquiter would ever sincerely experience sorrow for his misdeeds or accept forgiveness for his sins.

PostPosted:  

maryjo606 wrote:
I have understood that Jesus was a revelation of the Father not only to Urantia, but to all the worlds of Nebadon:

Quote:
"The Scriptures contain much that is true, very much, but in the light of your present teaching, you know that these writings also contain much that is misrepresentative of the Father in heaven, the loving God I have come to reveal to all the worlds."

The Urantia Book itself may not be for all the worlds, but the revelation of Jesus surely was, and is.

I have long wondered about the purpose and meanings of Jesus's manner of death. A death he predicted and anticipated and certainly could have avoided. A manner of death not required or necessary or related to the successful completion of his final bestowal and transformation from Creator Son to Master Son.

Jesus was in complete control of his public ministry and masterfully manipulated his enemies and ministered to his universal flock and was the great cause of epochal and historical effects on Urantia. He rode into Jerusalem that final and fateful week without expectation of any other ending I believe.

His manner of death and his calm courage and trust and exhibition of faith was truly a revelation of the Father’s presence and love for all the children of time.

5. Lessons from the Cross

188:5.1 (2017.9) The cross of Jesus portrays the full measure of the supreme devotion of the true shepherd for even the unworthy members of his flock. It forever places all relations between God and man upon the family basis. God is the Father; man is his son. Love, the love of a father for his son, becomes the central truth in the universe relations of Creator and creature—not the justice of a king which seeks satisfaction in the sufferings and punishment of the evil-doing subject.

188:5.2 (2018.1) The cross forever shows that the attitude of Jesus toward sinners was neither condemnation nor condonation, but rather eternal and loving salvation. Jesus is truly a savior in the sense that his life and death do win men over to goodness and righteous survival. Jesus loves men so much that his love awakens the response of love in the human heart. Love is truly contagious and eternally creative. Jesus’ death on the cross exemplifies a love which is sufficiently strong and divine to forgive sin and swallow up all evil-doing. Jesus disclosed to this world a higher quality of righteousness than justice—mere technical right and wrong. Divine love does not merely forgive wrongs; it absorbs and actually destroys them. The forgiveness of love utterly transcends the forgiveness of mercy. Mercy sets the guilt of evil-doing to one side; but love destroys forever the sin and all weakness resulting therefrom. Jesus brought a new method of living to Urantia. He taught us not to resist evil but to find through him a goodness which effectually destroys evil. The forgiveness of Jesus is not condonation; it is salvation from condemnation. Salvation does not slight wrongs; it makes them right. True love does not compromise nor condone hate; it destroys it. The love of Jesus is never satisfied with mere forgiveness. The Master’s love implies rehabilitation, eternal survival. It is altogether proper to speak of salvation as redemption if you mean this eternal rehabilitation.

188:5.3 (2018.2) Jesus, by the power of his personal love for men, could break the hold of sin and evil. He thereby set men free to choose better ways of living. Jesus portrayed a deliverance from the past which in itself promised a triumph for the future. Forgiveness thus provided salvation. The beauty of divine love, once fully admitted to the human heart, forever destroys the charm of sin and the power of evil.

188:5.4 (2018.3) The sufferings of Jesus were not confined to the crucifixion. In reality, Jesus of Nazareth spent upward of twenty-five years on the cross of a real and intense mortal existence. The real value of the cross consists in the fact that it was the supreme and final expression of his love, the completed revelation of his mercy.

188:5.5 (2018.4) On millions of inhabited worlds, tens of trillions of evolving creatures who may have been tempted to give up the moral struggle and abandon the good fight of faith, have taken one more look at Jesus on the cross and then have forged on ahead, inspired by the sight of God’s laying down his incarnate life in devotion to the unselfish service of man.

188:5.6 (2018.5) The triumph of the death on the cross is all summed up in the spirit of Jesus’ attitude toward those who assailed him. He made the cross an eternal symbol of the triumph of love over hate and the victory of truth over evil when he prayed, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” That devotion of love was contagious throughout a vast universe; the disciples caught it from their Master. The very first teacher of his gospel who was called upon to lay down his life in this service, said, as they stoned him to death, “Lay not this sin to their charge.”

188:5.7 (2018.6) The cross makes a supreme appeal to the best in man because it discloses one who was willing to lay down his life in the service of his fellow men. Greater love no man can have than this: that he would be willing to lay down his life for his friends—and Jesus had such a love that he was willing to lay down his life for his enemies, a love greater than any which had hitherto been known on earth.

188:5.8 (2019.1) On other worlds, as well as on Urantia, this sublime spectacle of the death of the human Jesus on the cross of Golgotha has stirred the emotions of mortals, while it has aroused the highest devotion of the angels.

188:5.9 (2019.2) The cross is that high symbol of sacred service, the devotion of one’s life to the welfare and salvation of one’s fellows. The cross is not the symbol of the sacrifice of the innocent Son of God in the place of guilty sinners and in order to appease the wrath of an offended God, but it does stand forever, on earth and throughout a vast universe, as a sacred symbol of the good bestowing themselves upon the evil and thereby saving them by this very devotion of love. The cross does stand as the token of the highest form of unselfish service, the supreme devotion of the full bestowal of a righteous life in the service of wholehearted ministry, even in death, the death of the cross. And the very sight of this great symbol of the bestowal life of Jesus truly inspires all of us to want to go and do likewise.

188:5.10 (2019.3) When thinking men and women look upon Jesus as he offers up his life on the cross, they will hardly again permit themselves to complain at even the severest hardships of life, much less at petty harassments and their many purely fictitious grievances. His life was so glorious and his death so triumphant that we are all enticed to a willingness to share both. There is true drawing power in the whole bestowal of Michael, from the days of his youth to this overwhelming spectacle of his death on the cross.

188:5.11 (2019.4) Make sure, then, that when you view the cross as a revelation of God, you do not look with the eyes of the primitive man nor with the viewpoint of the later barbarian, both of whom regarded God as a relentless Sovereign of stern justice and rigid law-enforcement. Rather, make sure that you see in the cross the final manifestation of the love and devotion of Jesus to his life mission of bestowal upon the mortal races of his vast universe. See in the death of the Son of Man the climax of the unfolding of the Father’s divine love for his sons of the mortal spheres. The cross thus portrays the devotion of willing affection and the bestowal of voluntary salvation upon those who are willing to receive such gifts and devotion. There was nothing in the cross which the Father required—only that which Jesus so willingly gave, and which he refused to avoid.

188:5.12 (2019.5) If man cannot otherwise appreciate Jesus and understand the meaning of his bestowal on earth, he can at least comprehend the fellowship of his mortal sufferings. No man can ever fear that the Creator does not know the nature or extent of his temporal afflictions.

188:5.13 (2019.6) We know that the death on the cross was not to effect man’s reconciliation to God but to stimulate man’s realization of the Father’s eternal love and his Son’s unending mercy, and to broadcast these universal truths to a whole universe.

8)

Paper 196

The Faith of Jesus

196:0.1 (2087.1) JESUS enjoyed a sublime and wholehearted faith in God. He experienced the ordinary ups and downs of mortal existence, but he never religiously doubted the certainty of God’s watchcare and guidance. His faith was the outgrowth of the insight born of the activity of the divine presence, his indwelling Adjuster. His faith was neither traditional nor merely intellectual; it was wholly personal and purely spiritual.

196:0.2 (2087.2) The human Jesus saw God as being holy, just, and great, as well as being true, beautiful, and good. All these attributes of divinity he focused in his mind as the “will of the Father in heaven.” Jesus’ God was at one and the same time “The Holy One of Israel” and “The living and loving Father in heaven.” The concept of God as a Father was not original with Jesus, but he exalted and elevated the idea into a sublime experience by achieving a new revelation of God and by proclaiming that every mortal creature is a child of this Father of love, a son of God.

196:0.3 (2087.3) Jesus did not cling to faith in God as would a struggling soul at war with the universe and at death grips with a hostile and sinful world; he did not resort to faith merely as a consolation in the midst of difficulties or as a comfort in threatened despair; faith was not just an illusory compensation for the unpleasant realities and the sorrows of living. In the very face of all the natural difficulties and the temporal contradictions of mortal existence, he experienced the tranquillity of supreme and unquestioned trust in God and felt the tremendous thrill of living, by faith, in the very presence of the heavenly Father. And this triumphant faith was a living experience of actual spirit attainment. Jesus’ great contribution to the values of human experience was not that he revealed so many new ideas about the Father in heaven, but rather that he so magnificently and humanly demonstrated a new and higher type of living faith in God. Never on all the worlds of this universe, in the life of any one mortal, did God ever become such a living reality as in the human experience of Jesus of Nazareth.

196:0.4 (2087.4) In the Master’s life on Urantia, this and all other worlds of the local creation discover a new and higher type of religion, religion based on personal spiritual relations with the Universal Father and wholly validated by the supreme authority of genuine personal experience. This living faith of Jesus was more than an intellectual reflection, and it was not a mystic meditation.

196:0.5 (2087.5) Theology may fix, formulate, define, and dogmatize faith, but in the human life of Jesus faith was personal, living, original, spontaneous, and purely spiritual. This faith was not reverence for tradition nor a mere intellectual belief which he held as a sacred creed, but rather a sublime experience and a profound conviction which securely held him. His faith was so real and all-encompassing that it absolutely swept away any spiritual doubts and effectively destroyed every conflicting desire. Nothing was able to tear him away from the spiritual anchorage of this fervent, sublime, and undaunted faith. Even in the face of apparent defeat or in the throes of disappointment and threatening despair, he calmly stood in the divine presence free from fear and fully conscious of spiritual invincibility. Jesus enjoyed the invigorating assurance of the possession of unflinching faith, and in each of life’s trying situations he unfailingly exhibited an unquestioning loyalty to the Father’s will. And this superb faith was undaunted even by the cruel and crushing threat of an ignominious death.

PostPosted:  

I think the purpose of revelation is twofold. First, and primarily, it is to effect the spiritualization of the mortal with truth. Secondarily it is to inform the reality perspective of the mortal to expand our appreciation of and association with universe reality.

Both are functional relationship orientation. The first is our connection and relationship with God, and the second is our relationship with the creation and family of God. Both forms of revelation change us and change our view of reality and also our lens of viewing reality and the reality that we view.

There is only one reality. But the individual's view of reality is delivered by our personal lens and perspective and experience and knowledge and wisdom. Our personal reality is our perspective of reality and not reality itself. Revelation is the method of Deity to enlarge, expand, deepen, frame, and provide context to our reality perspective until actual experience delivers our reality perspective.

Revelation is simply truth and fact revealed by Deity and celestials on behalf of Divinity. We are taught that only experiential wisdom transforms the subjective and limited and distorted view into the objective perspective. Revelation is the revealing of reality to those mortals with a limited perspective of reality.

We discover material reality by our physical senses and science - we interact with and apply reason to discover, understand,
and manipulate material reality. But the schools of Dalamatia and Eden also revealed art and science and mechanics and agriculture and cosmology and origins and destiny and history and governance and trade and all related forms of material reality in addition to the spiritual and Deity relationships between mortals and Spirit.

Thus is epochal revelation practical and progressive related to social and economic systems too. Reality encompasses both the material and spiritual aspects of reality. Our relationship with material reality is as progressive and evolutionary as is social order and civilization itself.

Religious experience is our response to and relationship with the Spirit. Revelation is a tool of the Spirit to nurture that relationship by revealing truth, beauty, and goodness to mind. Or so I understand the UB to teach.

Epochal Revelation is for all people on a world delivered by those who give planetary ministry according to the directives of the Most Highs and Universe Rulers, for the purpose of planetary evolutionary progress through successive ages of developmental and incremental transformation. Normally it is successive and progressive and aggregational...the new adds to and enhances the previous. Please read Papers 52 and 55.

8)

Acknowledgment

0:12.11 (16.8) In formulating the succeeding presentations having to do with the portrayal of the character of the Universal Father and the nature of his Paradise associates, together with an attempted description of the perfect central universe and the encircling seven superuniverses, we are to be guided by the mandate of the superuniverse rulers which directs that we shall, in all our efforts to reveal truth and co-ordinate essential knowledge, give preference to the highest existing human concepts pertaining to the subjects to be presented. We may resort to pure revelation only when the concept of presentation has had no adequate previous expression by the human mind.

0:12.12 (17.1) Successive planetary revelations of divine truth invariably embrace the highest existing concepts of spiritual values as a part of the new and enhanced co-ordination of planetary knowledge. Accordingly, in making these presentations about God and his universe associates, we have selected as the basis of these papers more than one thousand human concepts representing the highest and most advanced planetary knowledge of spiritual values and universe meanings. Wherein these human concepts, assembled from the God-knowing mortals of the past and the present, are inadequate to portray the truth as we are directed to reveal it, we will unhesitatingly supplement them, for this purpose drawing upon our own superior knowledge of the reality and divinity of the Paradise Deities and their transcendent residential universe.

0:12.13 (17.2) We are fully cognizant of the difficulties of our assignment; we recognize the impossibility of fully translating the language of the concepts of divinity and eternity into the symbols of the language of the finite concepts of the mortal mind. But we know that there dwells within the human mind a fragment of God, and that there sojourns with the human soul the Spirit of Truth; and we further know that these spirit forces conspire to enable material man to grasp the reality of spiritual values and to comprehend the philosophy of universe meanings. But even more certainly we know that these spirits of the Divine Presence are able to assist man in the spiritual appropriation of all truth contributory to the enhancement of the ever-progressing reality of personal religious experience—God-consciousness.

PostPosted:  

100:1.2 (1094.4) Some persons are too busy to grow and are therefore in grave danger of spiritual fixation. Provision must be made for growth of meanings at differing ages, in successive cultures, and in the passing stages of advancing civilization. The chief inhibitors of growth are prejudice and ignorance.

Personal and epochal revelation combine to breakdown these "chief inhibitors of growth". Prejudice is that love and loyalty we have toward our opinions and beliefs which prevents the expansion of perspective and the ability to discern truth and fact when those conflict with or contradict current opinions and beliefs. Such entrenchment (prejudice) is blinding and prevents new knowledge and new meanings in such an afflicted mind. Truth seekers must be able to set aside such prejudice to find any truth they seek.

There are those who believe science and religion are at odds and contradict one another. Some scientists believe life is accidental and the universe is formed without a Divine Cause and is unmanaged as well as unplanned. Some religionists believe that physics and natural laws and evolution defy origin and destiny. Both sets of beliefs are merely blind prejudices that prevent a meaningful perspective of universe reality. Both are wrong. Such prejudice blinds and binds.

Knowledge and belief and faith are such an interesting presentation in the UB. Knowledge and objectivity are very important to our progress and function as ascenders and eventual finaliters in universe service. But here on this world of birth and origin, it is really faith that assures our salvation and survival. It is not what we know or believe that gives birth to soul and grows soul and delivers salvation and soul survival. That is faith. Faith is an experience of our Deity connection and Divine relationship - not our knowledge of or beliefs about or understanding universe realities.

This is tremendously important. Religions preach and teach that it is our beliefs and what we know that delivers salvation. The Master preached and the UB says NO!!! - it is our faith only. God is connected to us at birth. God delivers assurance of presence and love and we respond to that presence and love and give birth to soul as we become moral and religious persons as children. That is a faith experience. NOT a knowledge or belief experience. Religions preach and teach we must seek and find and obey God. Jesus taught and the UB teaches NO!!! God has found us and is connected to us - always and from the beginning.

The result of this fact and truth is that we can and do have faith and religious experience even with false beliefs about God and reality. This does not make knowledge irrelevant to our experience and growth however. Wisdom is the discovery of meanings and values by experience and understanding. New meanings come to mind by revelation and illumination and intuition and inspiration and education and experience. But prejudice prevents the discovery of new and greater meanings. Prejudice is a demonstration of ignorance and the very embrace of that ignorance to the degree that new knowledge and meanings and understandings are rejected and prevented by a stubborn and intractable loyalty to our beliefs - no matter how ignorant or stupid those may be.

So....what it means "to say that TUB is a revelation" is to claim that there is information and a reality perspective presented by its authors which contains truth and fact that are presented to those folks who seek truth and understanding and whose personal ignorance and prejudice does not prevent them from considering such truth and fact in forming their own perspective of universe reality and their personal philosophy of living!!

The UB presents two forms of information/knowledge: first is that which is knowledge already acquired by humanity by prior epochal revelation and human evolutionary progress and insights that has been lost to history due to the interruption and failures of The Prince and The Garden (including over 1,000 of humanity's highest concepts - see 0:12.12); and second is progressive and evolutionary information revealed to modern people based on our evolutionary progress and epochal progress described in Paper 52. Our world is ruled by the Most Highs who are charged with our planetary progression through these Mortal Epochs of Time. Epochal revelation is one tool used by them to deliver evolutionary progression based on the spiritual and scientific state of affairs on every world at every intersection of time and epoch.

Or so I understand the UB to teach!

8)

101:8.2 (1114.6) Belief is always limiting and binding; faith is expanding and releasing. Belief fixates, faith liberates. But living religious faith is more than the association of noble beliefs; it is more than an exalted system of philosophy; it is a living experience concerned with spiritual meanings, divine ideals, and supreme values; it is God-knowing and man-serving. Beliefs may become group possessions, but faith must be personal. Theologic beliefs can be suggested to a group, but faith can rise up only in the heart of the individual religionist.

101:8.3 (1114.7) Faith has falsified its trust when it presumes to deny realities and to confer upon its devotees assumed knowledge. Faith is a traitor when it fosters betrayal of intellectual integrity and belittles loyalty to supreme values and divine ideals. Faith never shuns the problem-solving duty of mortal living. Living faith does not foster bigotry, persecution, or intolerance.

101:8.4 (1115.1) Faith does not shackle the creative imagination, neither does it maintain an unreasoning prejudice toward the discoveries of scientific investigation. Faith vitalizes religion and constrains the religionist heroically to live the golden rule. The zeal of faith is according to knowledge, and its strivings are the preludes to sublime peace.

8)

92:4.1 (1007.1) Revelation is evolutionary but always progressive. Down through the ages of a world’s history, the revelations of religion are ever-expanding and successively more enlightening. It is the mission of revelation to sort and censor the successive religions of evolution. But if revelation is to exalt and upstep the religions of evolution, then must such divine visitations portray teachings which are not too far removed from the thought and reactions of the age in which they are presented. Thus must and does revelation always keep in touch with evolution. Always must the religion of revelation be limited by man’s capacity of receptivity.

101:4.5 (1109.6) Truth may be but relatively inspired, even though revelation is invariably a spiritual phenomenon. While statements with reference to cosmology are never inspired, such revelations are of immense value in that they at least transiently clarify knowledge by:

101:4.6 (1109.7) 1. The reduction of confusion by the authoritative elimination of error.

101:4.7 (1109.8) 2. The co-ordination of known or about-to-be-known facts and observations.

101:4.8 (1110.1) 3. The restoration of important bits of lost knowledge concerning epochal transactions in the distant past.

101:4.9 (1110.2) 4. The supplying of information which will fill in vital missing gaps in otherwise earned knowledge.

101:4.10 (1110.3) 5. Presenting cosmic data in such a manner as to illuminate the spiritual teachings contained in the accompanying revelation.

5. Religion Expanded by Revelation

101:5.1 (1110.4) Revelation is a technique whereby ages upon ages of time are saved in the necessary work of sorting and sifting the errors of evolution from the truths of spirit acquirement.

8)

PostPosted:  

Hi Bradley,

Can you please provide an example? You opined, "The result of this fact and truth is that we can and do have faith and religious experience even with false beliefs about God and reality."

I'm serious, I can't think of a "religious experience" I personally had that was based on false beliefs about God and reality.

PostPosted:  

Student wrote:
Hi Bradley,

Can you please provide an example? You opined, "The result of this fact and truth is that we can and do have faith and religious experience even with false beliefs about God and reality."

I'm serious, I can't think of a "religious experience" I personally had that was based on false beliefs about God and reality.

Allow me to clarify. I should better have said that we have true religious experience and spiritual growth in spite of false beliefs. False beliefs do not prevent genuine faith experience.

Primitives and barbarians and children and cannibals and sun worshipers can certainly have valid religious experience, yes? Religious experience does not require nor depend upon any specific knowledge or belief and no false belief can prevent religious experience. Sorry for the confusion.

I am quite certain we have all had genuine religious experience despite a lack of knowledge and with false beliefs. Don't you agree??

I am very certain of my religious experience and still lack any great certainty in my beliefs about and knowledge of universe reality.

Papers 85-92 describe the evolutionary religious experience.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5757

92:0.1 (1003.1) MAN possessed a religion of natural origin as a part of his evolutionary experience long before any systematic revelations were made on Urantia. But this religion of natural origin was, in itself, the product of man’s superanimal endowments. Evolutionary religion arose slowly throughout the millenniums of mankind’s experiential career through the ministry of the following influences operating within, and impinging upon, savage, barbarian, and civilized man:

92:0.2 (1003.2) 1. The adjutant of worship—the appearance in animal consciousness of superanimal potentials for reality perception. This might be termed the primordial human instinct for Deity.

92:0.3 (1003.3) 2. The adjutant of wisdom—the manifestation in a worshipful mind of the tendency to direct its adoration in higher channels of expression and toward ever-expanding concepts of Deity reality.

92:0.4 (1003.4) 3. The Holy Spirit—this is the initial supermind bestowal, and it unfailingly appears in all bona fide human personalities. This ministry to a worship-craving and wisdom-desiring mind creates the capacity to self-realize the postulate of human survival, both in theologic concept and as an actual and factual personality experience.

92:0.5 (1003.5) The co-ordinate functioning of these three divine ministrations is quite sufficient to initiate and prosecute the growth of evolutionary religion. These influences are later augmented by Thought Adjusters, seraphim, and the Spirit of Truth, all of which accelerate the rate of religious development. These agencies have long functioned on Urantia, and they will continue here as long as this planet remains an inhabited sphere. Much of the potential of these divine agencies has never yet had opportunity for expression; much will be revealed in the ages to come as mortal religion ascends, level by level, toward the supernal heights of morontia value and spirit truth.

1. The Evolutionary Nature of Religion

92:1.1 (1003.6) The evolution of religion has been traced from early fear and ghosts down through many successive stages of development, including those efforts first to coerce and then to cajole the spirits. Tribal fetishes grew into totems and tribal gods; magic formulas became modern prayers. Circumcision, at first a sacrifice, became a hygienic procedure.

92:1.2 (1003.7) Religion progressed from nature worship up through ghost worship to fetishism throughout the savage childhood of the races. With the dawn of civilization the human race espoused the more mystic and symbolic beliefs, while now, with approaching maturity, mankind is ripening for the appreciation of real religion, even a beginning of the revelation of truth itself.

92:1.3 (1004.1) Religion arises as a biologic reaction of mind to spiritual beliefs and the environment; it is the last thing to perish or change in a race. Religion is society’s adjustment, in any age, to that which is mysterious. As a social institution it embraces rites, symbols, cults, scriptures, altars, shrines, and temples. Holy water, relics, fetishes, charms, vestments, bells, drums, and priesthoods are common to all religions. And it is impossible entirely to divorce purely evolved religion from either magic or sorcery.

92:1.4 (1004.2) Mystery and power have always stimulated religious feelings and fears, while emotion has ever functioned as a powerful conditioning factor in their development. Fear has always been the basic religious stimulus. Fear fashions the gods of evolutionary religion and motivates the religious ritual of the primitive believers. As civilization advances, fear becomes modified by reverence, admiration, respect, and sympathy and is then further conditioned by remorse and repentance.

92:1.5 (1004.3) One Asiatic people taught that “God is a great fear”; that is the outgrowth of purely evolutionary religion. Jesus, the revelation of the highest type of religious living, proclaimed that “God is love.”

8)

I hope that helps!!

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:36 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.