Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:16 pm +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: "Books"? Really?
PostPosted:  

On page 812 of UB in the section entitled, "Government on a Neighboring Planet", section 4, "The Educational System", we read:

"Books are in the school shops and the school farms."

also,

"Adjacent to each shop is a working library where the student may consult necessary reference books."

Living as we do in the age of the internet, does it strike anyone as odd that such a primitive information source as "books" would be used by "the most advanced human race living [in] the Satania system"--one which presumably would have a high level of technological development? I would expect something more high-tech, like a form of the internet, or perhaps the central broadcast amphitheater of Jerusem (see p. 522).

I would not know how to answer a critic who would say that this is evidence that the UB is a man-made product of the '30s, not a revelation from angels. Any ideas?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: "Books"? Really?
PostPosted:  

HonestProfessor wrote:
"the most advanced human race living [in] the Satania system"

Quote:
72:0.1 BY PERMISSION OF Lanaforge and with the approval of the Most Highs of Edentia, I am authorized to narrate something of the social, moral, and political life of the most advanced human race living on a not far-distant planet belonging to the Satania system.

Sorry but you misquoted the Urantia Book.

PostPosted:  

HonestProfessor I find it curious that you assume "advanced" refers to physical or material advancement. Or, that spiritually advanced societies must, as well, be materially advanced. Lanaforge and the Most Highs, I would think, are referring to spiritual. Spiritual advancement and material advancement must be quite different. If one follows the planetary development scenario, it would seem that societies may become more spiritually advanced than we are well before they achieve advanced material status. And, of course, we are not told of the actual degree of advancement, only a relative comparison which is undefined.

So my question is this. When you ask
Quote:
I would not know how to answer a critic who would say that this is evidence that the UB is a man-made product of the '30s, not a revelation from angels. Any ideas?
is it possible that you are attempting to validate the revelation by material standards only?

Jim

PostPosted:  

The misquote is highly problematic...and an act of text sabatoge, either accidental or intentional...don't know. A problem and most unfortunate though, either way.

I am not sure that any form of "validation" is intended here.

The Paper/author clearly states the planet's mortal epoch is post Material Son age upon default and lost Prince...certainly not the most advanced human race in Satania by any definition.

No Spirit of Truth yet or flood of Adjusters/God Fragments.

Please review Paper 52....this continental nation is neither materially or spiritually advanced - obviously so. The people of that single continental nation are, relative only to those others on the same world, "the most advanced" - not compared to anybody at all on any other worlds anywhere at all.

A product of angels??? :roll: Really??

One idea is to copy and paste actual text you have questions about...thank you.

Last edited by fanofVan on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:08 pm +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

I shortened the quotation for brevity--but I guess some important meaning was lost.

So the text is saying in essence, "The most advanced humans who are living on that not far-distant planet" in the Satania system, not "The most advanced humans in Satania."

Jim George is suggesting that high spiritual advancement may occur before technological or material advancement. That's an interesting statement, and it makes me think that we on Urantia are in quite a pickle in that we have relatively high material advancement combined with low spiritual advancement. In other words, we don't have the spiritual capacity to handle the technology we have! I've actually been saying that for years.

It also makes me think of the ancient ruins which exist on Earth (stones weighing many tons, carved and placed so precisely that modern technology cannot duplicate them or explain their origin). The ancients could build those monuments, but apparently did not have plastics or computers. They built pyramids, not 7-11s.

So what you're saying is that a civilization can be advanced spiritually, but not technologically. Or maybe the material/technological advancement is concentrated in other areas . . . ?

PostPosted:  

HonestProfessor wrote:
I shortened the quotation for brevity--but I guess some important meaning was lost.

So the text is saying in essence, "The most advanced humans who are living on that not far-distant planet" in the Satania system, not "The most advanced humans in Satania."

Jim George is suggesting that high spiritual advancement may occur before technological or material advancement. That's an interesting statement, and it makes me think that we on Urantia are in quite a pickle in that we have relatively high material advancement combined with low spiritual advancement. In other words, we don't have the spiritual capacity to handle the technology we have! I've actually been saying that for years.

It also makes me think of the ancient ruins which exist on Earth (stones weighing many tons, carved and placed so precisely that modern technology cannot duplicate them or explain their origin). The ancients could build those monuments, but apparently did not have plastics or computers. They built pyramids, not 7-11s.

So what you're saying is that a civilization can be advanced spiritually, but not technologically. Or maybe the material/technological advancement is concentrated in other areas . . . ?

The text was not "shortened"...but completely altered. That's a problem. One which copying and pasting helps prevent.

Your claims about Urantia's spiritual progress and technological development are presumptive I think and inaccurate. Jim's assertions are likewise unlikely. Jim has often (and recently) clamed that the pursuit of knowledge and understanding of material reality is less important than religious pursuits and that science is somehow disconnected from spiritual progress (or so I understand his many posts on the subject over the past decade) - but the Papers tell a very different teaching.

Indeed, knowledge of reality and science is what frees people from superstition and barbarism and priests and allows spirituality to blossom and become mature, unencumbered by primitivisms of many different kinds caused by ignorance and fears of the natural and supernatural realities. Knowledge and scientific progress are inherent and imperative for planetary progress...and personal progress too!!

So I look forward to actual text and evidence which supports what you and Jim "have been saying for years". Your agreement with Jim on the matter is not convincing in my opinion. What releases humanity from the fear of nature and voodoo....except science and knowledge I wonder?

Science, religion, and philosophy are rarely in total sync or equally prominent at all times, but do act upon one another as rotating leaders and laggards. A sailing ship needs sail and ballast and that which binds them together (the mast of philosophy). The UB warns us about imbalance and the consequences of each form of developmental disharmony. No world can be spiritually advanced AND scientifically undeveloped...or not according to the UB anyway.

Religion, science, and philosophy are bound and harnessed together. This is true without defaults or rebellion and with them. Those worlds of advanced spirituality (beyond primitive superstitions) are also advanced in technology and social structures. It's all connected.

Just another opinion...

Angels??? More shortening? :wink:

99:7.1 (1092.5) Though churches and all other religious groups should stand aloof from all secular activities, at the same time religion must do nothing to hinder or retard the social co-ordination of human institutions. Life must continue to grow in meaningfulness; man must go on with his reformation of philosophy and his clarification of religion.

99:7.2 (1092.6) Political science must effect the reconstruction of economics and industry by the techniques it learns from the social sciences and by the insights and motives supplied by religious living. In all social reconstruction religion provides a stabilizing loyalty to a transcendent object, a steadying goal beyond and above the immediate and temporal objective. In the midst of the confusions of a rapidly changing environment mortal man needs the sustenance of a far-flung cosmic perspective.

99:7.3 (1093.1) Religion inspires man to live courageously and joyfully on the face of the earth; it joins patience with passion, insight to zeal, sympathy with power, and ideals with energy.

99:7.4 (1093.2) Man can never wisely decide temporal issues or transcend the selfishness of personal interests unless he meditates in the presence of the sovereignty of God and reckons with the realities of divine meanings and spiritual values.

99:7.5 (1093.3) Economic interdependence and social fraternity will ultimately conduce to brotherhood. Man is naturally a dreamer, but science is sobering him so that religion can presently activate him with far less danger of precipitating fanatical reactions. Economic necessities tie man up with reality, and personal religious experience brings this same man face to face with the eternal realities of an ever-expanding and progressing cosmic citizenship.

PostPosted:  

HonestProfessor also posted the following in quotation marks - Books are in the school shops and the school farms. - as if that line were also a direct quote from the UB. But that line too is a misquote.

72:4.1 (812.3) The educational system of this nation is compulsory and coeducational in the precollege schools that the student attends from the ages of five to eighteen. These schools are vastly different from those of Urantia. There are no classrooms, only one study is pursued at a time, and after the first three years all pupils become assistant teachers, instructing those below them. Books are used only to secure information that will assist in solving the problems arising in the school shops and on the school farms. Much of the furniture used on the continent and the many mechanical contrivances—this is a great age of invention and mechanization—are produced in these shops. Adjacent to each shop is a working library where the student may consult the necessary reference books. Agriculture and horticulture are also taught throughout the entire educational period on the extensive farms adjoining every local school.

Me here: Such alterations are completely unacceptable here...or any study group or classroom. The misrepresented and misstated text completely distorts the meaning...again.

The point in Paper 72 is to make a distinction in the differences in our methods of teaching and classroom study and that on the neighboring planet. Your version changes the context and meaning to merely support your personal prejudices and opinions.

This is not a mere technical issue of nit picking I do not think. As students of a common text seeking to discover and discuss its contents and meaning, it is most unfortunate for anyone to express opinions about the text based on their misunderstanding and misrepresentations of that text.

Such behavior destroys the integrity of the classroom, the very purpose of the student body gathered, and also the very process of learning and understanding by such study of the text. Very unwelcome and counterproductive I think.

This is not the first time for you to commit such error here. But I hope it is the last. "Brevity" itself is no vice, especially when it contributes to clarity. But brevity and short cuts due to impatience is a grave and dangerous evil we are taught.

You appear to enjoy provocative presentations and perspective. A very stimulating approach to any material. I look forward to your presentations of those issues which interest you. And I certainly appreciate your asking clarifying questions and discussion prompts...thank you. Please do not be offended by my protests regarding accuracy of quoting and representing the contents of the Papers.

One of the few things all students can agree on afterall is what the UB actually says...it says what it says...and it doesn't say what it doesn't say. That's not a small thing for sincere students.

Kudos to nod/Enno who first noticed and corrected the misquotes above. Well done. The integrity of the Papers is important to our discovery, appreciation, and utilization of their meaning and value!

8) Bradly

Last edited by fanofVan on Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:34 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Bradly, I completely agree--all UB quotations should be directly copy/pasted into comments. I made the mistake :? of trying to copy from the book manually or from memory, which turns out to be bad practice. From now on, I will only copy/paste. I appreciate that fact that forum members are very concerned about exactness. No sloppiness allowed. We're doing precision work here.

I was actually trying to improve upon the practice of pasting in large blocks of UB text as part of an answer to a reader's question. In my experience, these become overwhelming to the reader. Only the truly relevant (and, of course, exact) text should be cited. Perhaps this could be done as in your last response: coloring in the relevant text within the larger text block? That way context is retained (if needed) while only the relevant part of the quotation is emphasized.

PostPosted:  

:D :wink: :idea: 8)

Now...to the issue of disparities of progress between science, religion, and philosophy....a most fascinating topic related to both personal and planetary evolution and development.

How would my religious experience differ if I believed in bad luck and our world was the very center of the universe or astrology had not yet been upstepped into astronomy? Spirituality and spirit realities are not indifferent to material realities. Wisdom requires knowledge and experience of both realms...according to the UB.

195:6.1 (2076.6) Scientists have unintentionally precipitated mankind into a materialistic panic; they have started an unthinking run on the moral bank of the ages, but this bank of human experience has vast spiritual resources; it can stand the demands being made upon it. Only unthinking men become panicky about the spiritual assets of the human race. When the materialistic-secular panic is over, the religion of Jesus will not be found bankrupt. The spiritual bank of the kingdom of heaven will be paying out faith, hope, and moral security to all who draw upon it “in His name.”

195:6.2 (2076.7) No matter what the apparent conflict between materialism and the teachings of Jesus may be, you can rest assured that, in the ages to come, the teachings of the Master will fully triumph. In reality, true religion cannot become involved in any controversy with science; it is in no way concerned with material things. Religion is simply indifferent to, but sympathetic with, science, while it supremely concerns itself with the scientist.

195:6.3 (2076.8) The pursuit of mere knowledge, without the attendant interpretation of wisdom and the spiritual insight of religious experience, eventually leads to pessimism and human despair. A little knowledge is truly disconcerting.

195:6.4 (2076.9) At the time of this writing the worst of the materialistic age is over; the day of a better understanding is already beginning to dawn. The higher minds of the scientific world are no longer wholly materialistic in their philosophy, but the rank and file of the people still lean in that direction as a result of former teachings. But this age of physical realism is only a passing episode in man’s life on earth. Modern science has left true religion—the teachings of Jesus as translated in the lives of his believers—untouched. All science has done is to destroy the childlike illusions of the misinterpretations of life.

195:6.5 (2077.1) Science is a quantitative experience, religion a qualitative experience, as regards man’s life on earth. Science deals with phenomena; religion, with origins, values, and goals. To assign causes as an explanation of physical phenomena is to confess ignorance of ultimates and in the end only leads the scientist straight back to the first great cause—the Universal Father of Paradise.

195:6.6 (2077.2) The violent swing from an age of miracles to an age of machines has proved altogether upsetting to man. The cleverness and dexterity of the false philosophies of mechanism belie their very mechanistic contentions. The fatalistic agility of the mind of a materialist forever disproves his assertions that the universe is a blind and purposeless energy phenomenon.

195:6.7 (2077.3) The mechanistic naturalism of some supposedly educated men and the thoughtless secularism of the man in the street are both exclusively concerned with things; they are barren of all real values, sanctions, and satisfactions of a spiritual nature, as well as being devoid of faith, hope, and eternal assurances. One of the great troubles with modern life is that man thinks he is too busy to find time for spiritual meditation and religious devotion.

195:6.8 (2077.4) Materialism reduces man to a soulless automaton and constitutes him merely an arithmetical symbol finding a helpless place in the mathematical formula of an unromantic and mechanistic universe. But whence comes all this vast universe of mathematics without a Master Mathematician? Science may expatiate on the conservation of matter, but religion validates the conservation of men’s souls—it concerns their experience with spiritual realities and eternal values.

195:6.9 (2077.5) The materialistic sociologist of today surveys a community, makes a report thereon, and leaves the people as he found them. Nineteen hundred years ago, unlearned Galileans surveyed Jesus giving his life as a spiritual contribution to man’s inner experience and then went out and turned the whole Roman Empire upside down.

195:6.10 (2077.6) But religious leaders are making a great mistake when they try to call modern man to spiritual battle with the trumpet blasts of the Middle Ages. Religion must provide itself with new and up-to-date slogans. Neither democracy nor any other political panacea will take the place of spiritual progress. False religions may represent an evasion of reality, but Jesus in his gospel introduced mortal man to the very entrance upon an eternal reality of spiritual progression.

8)

Last edited by fanofVan on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:56 am +0000, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted:  

Re: "At the time of this writing the worst of the materialistic age is over; the day of a better understanding is already beginning to dawn. The higher minds of the scientific world are no longer wholly materialistic in their philosophy, but the rank and file of the people still lean in that direction as a result of former teachings. But this age of physical realism is only a passing episode in man’s life on earth."

Today, about ninety years since that was written, the scientific establishment is as "materialistic", (i.e. as atheistic and political) as it has ever been. A good example is Carl Sagan, who, despite his on-screen talent, was a strict materialist whose TV show Cosmos tried to convince everyone that the material universe is all that there is, and no "God" created it! Likewise, Cosmos taught that the evolution of life on Earth is a mindless process with no divine intervention. This is what is taught in public schools and universities, and no deviation from that materialistic view is permitted. And yes, I believe this "eventually leads to pessimism and human despair."

If this is only a "passing episode," and "the worst . . . is over," it seems to be taking a long time to pass. But 90 years is merely a sliver of time in the Urantia scheme of things.

PostPosted:  

Indeed....how long is the material "age"? Is it centuries? Or millennia? Did it start with the Greeks or Romans? Or before? Or is it a more recent "age"? There have always been materialists I presume. But evolutionary religion has always been with us too - since the very first person and in every generation since.

So the "age" of materialism must be a specific season and cycle of evolutionary progress where material life has dominance. Is that pleasure seeking? Property and wealth seeking? Or the function of false liberty? And, of course, there are those who are not materialists even in the materialist age and there are materialists no matter the spirituality or enlightenment of an age or cycle/season.

My opinion is that the age of materialism is a more recent cycle when science and religion became antagonistic toward one another and religious leaders lost control of science and science began to shun the supernatural as nonexistent or irrelevant somehow to reality.

The fact is materialism is reality. So is spirit. Reality is composed of both spirit and material and the forces and physics of reality do not disprove spirit realities. Whenever the one dominates the other, the world is out of balance and fanatics tend to dominate civilization and social evolution.

It is not spiritual to deny the material or to forsake or abandon material realities and demands. That is the problem and great mistake of the so-called religionists who require and demand that science and knowledge are irrelevant to our spiritual nature and progress. Poppycock! They too seek to impose their will and way upon others, embracing false liberty by telling others what they should or should not be doing and claiming superiority over others. Yech...priests!! Far more dangerous than materialism I think.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book/se ... &op=Search

54:1.2 (613.4) True liberty is the quest of the ages and the reward of evolutionary progress. False liberty is the subtle deception of the error of time and the evil of space. Enduring liberty is predicated on the reality of justice—intelligence, maturity, fraternity, and equity.

54:1.3 (613.5) Liberty is a self-destroying technique of cosmic existence when its motivation is unintelligent, unconditioned, and uncontrolled. True liberty is progressively related to reality and is ever regardful of social equity, cosmic fairness, universe fraternity, and divine obligations.

54:1.4 (613.6) Liberty is suicidal when divorced from material justice, intellectual fairness, social forbearance, moral duty, and spiritual values. Liberty is nonexistent apart from cosmic reality, and all personality reality is proportional to its divinity relationships.

54:1.5 (613.7) Unbridled self-will and unregulated self-expression equal unmitigated selfishness, the acme of ungodliness. Liberty without the associated and ever-increasing conquest of self is a figment of egoistic mortal imagination. Self-motivated liberty is a conceptual illusion, a cruel deception. License masquerading in the garments of liberty is the forerunner of abject bondage.

54:1.6 (614.1) True liberty is the associate of genuine self-respect; false liberty is the consort of self-admiration. True liberty is the fruit of self-control; false liberty, the assumption of self-assertion. Self-control leads to altruistic service; self-admiration tends towards the exploitation of others for the selfish aggrandizement of such a mistaken individual as is willing to sacrifice righteous attainment for the sake of possessing unjust power over his fellow beings.

54:1.7 (614.2) Even wisdom is divine and safe only when it is cosmic in scope and spiritual in motivation.

54:1.8 (614.3) There is no error greater than that species of self-deception which leads intelligent beings to crave the exercise of power over other beings for the purpose of depriving these persons of their natural liberties. The golden rule of human fairness cries out against all such fraud, unfairness, selfishness, and unrighteousness. Only true and genuine liberty is compatible with the reign of love and the ministry of mercy.

54:1.9 (614.4) How dare the self-willed creature encroach upon the rights of his fellows in the name of personal liberty when the Supreme Rulers of the universe stand back in merciful respect for these prerogatives of will and potentials of personality! No being, in the exercise of his supposed personal liberty, has a right to deprive any other being of those privileges of existence conferred by the Creators and duly respected by all their loyal associates, subordinates, and subjects.

Me here: Our time unit perspective determines our ability to actually discern change, progress, velocity, trajectory, and destiny. Those who constantly carp and complain about the world today and can see no progress and cannot gain perspective of the very obvious progress, velocity, and trajectory of human evolution are blind. Even many of us UB students who know the destiny to come and know the result of evolutionary progress....still...even those who should know better appear blind to the obvious.

Impatience blinds us mortals to the progressive march of evolution. We are here to short of a time to "see" the changes. Of course, the last few centuries have seen a tremendous acceleration of change. Why people today don't see that is truly baffling to me. Paper 81 is a great primer on social evolutionary progress.

118:1.8 (1295.8) The time unit of immaturity concentrates meaning-value into the present moment in such a way as to divorce the present of its true relationship to the not-present—the past-future. The time unit of maturity is proportioned so to reveal the co-ordinate relationship of past-present-future that the self begins to gain insight into the wholeness of events, begins to view the landscape of time from the panoramic perspective of broadened horizons, begins perhaps to suspect the nonbeginning, nonending eternal continuum, the fragments of which are called time.

8)

81:5.5 (906.3) Society thus becomes a co-operative scheme for securing civil freedom through institutions, economic freedom through capital and invention, social liberty through culture, and freedom from violence through police regulation.

81:6.8 (907.5) 3. Scientific knowledge. The material aspects of civilization must always await the accumulation of scientific data. It was a long time after the discovery of the bow and arrow and the utilization of animals for power purposes before man learned how to harness wind and water, to be followed by the employment of steam and electricity. But slowly the tools of civilization improved. Weaving, pottery, the domestication of animals, and metalworking were followed by an age of writing and printing.

81:6.9 (907.6) Knowledge is power. Invention always precedes the acceleration of cultural development on a world-wide scale. Science and invention benefited most of all from the printing press, and the interaction of all these cultural and inventive activities has enormously accelerated the rate of cultural advancement.

81:6.10 (907.7) Science teaches man to speak the new language of mathematics and trains his thoughts along lines of exacting precision. And science also stabilizes philosophy through the elimination of error, while it purifies religion by the destruction of superstition.

81:6.18 (908.7) Language differences have ever been the great barrier to the extension of peace. The conquest of dialects must precede the spread of a culture throughout a race, over a continent, or to a whole world. A universal language promotes peace, insures culture, and augments happiness. Even when the tongues of a world are reduced to a few, the mastery of these by the leading cultural peoples mightily influences the achievement of world-wide peace and prosperity.

81:6.19 (908.8) While very little progress has been made on Urantia toward developing an international language, much has been accomplished by the establishment of international commercial exchange. And all these international relations should be fostered, whether they involve language, trade, art, science, competitive play, or religion.

81:6.44 (912.1) This is the gist of the long, long struggle of the peoples of earth to establish civilization since the age of Adam. Present-day culture is the net result of this strenuous evolution. Before the discovery of printing, progress was relatively slow since one generation could not so rapidly benefit from the achievements of its predecessors. But now human society is plunging forward under the force of the accumulated momentum of all the ages through which civilization has struggled.

8)

PostPosted:  

HonestProfessor wrote:
Re: "At the time of this writing the worst of the materialistic age is over; the day of a better understanding is already beginning to dawn. The higher minds of the scientific world are no longer wholly materialistic in their philosophy, but the rank and file of the people still lean in that direction as a result of former teachings. But this age of physical realism is only a passing episode in man’s life on earth."

Today, about ninety years since that was written, the scientific establishment is as "materialistic", (i.e. as atheistic and political) as it has ever been. A good example is Carl Sagan, who, despite his on-screen talent, was a strict materialist whose TV show Cosmos tried to convince everyone that the material universe is all that there is, and no "God" created it! Likewise, Cosmos taught that the evolution of life on Earth is a mindless process with no divine intervention. This is what is taught in public schools and universities, and no deviation from that materialistic view is permitted. And yes, I believe this "eventually leads to pessimism and human despair."

If this is only a "passing episode," and "the worst . . . is over," it seems to be taking a long time to pass. But 90 years is merely a sliver of time in the Urantia scheme of things.

I think the real problem is PERCEPTION. And PERSPECTIVE.

There's an old Zen saying: Things are not as they appear...and neither are they different!

Consider that. We describe things...not as they ARE....but only as they APPEAR....and only as they appear to US. The very definition of subjectivity. The view is not of the object or of reality but only the view in relationship to ourselves and our beliefs and our experience and our wisdom and enlightenment and our time-unit perspective.

Things (reality) are not as they appear!! Our opinion of their appearance does not reflect or define reality or actuality. Do things need to change???? Or does our perception of things need to change????

A fascinating paradox for reflection. Things will be different when they appear to be different. Things are changing all the time...is our perception of things changing too??? If not...the UB defines THAT perspective as prejudice!

Something for us all to think about....

The UB clearly teaches us that our perspective definitely changes as we mature and gain wisdom and become spiritized...but only IF and AS we mature and gain wisdom and become spiritized!

Reality changes by our perspective of reality. An amazing concept...really!!

:?: :!: :idea: :? 8) :D

What's our Reality Response????

16:6.4 (191.7) There exists in all personality associations of the cosmic mind a quality which might be denominated the “reality response.” It is this universal cosmic endowment of will creatures which saves them from becoming helpless victims of the implied a priori assumptions of science, philosophy, and religion. This reality sensitivity of the cosmic mind responds to certain phases of reality just as energy-material responds to gravity. It would be still more correct to say that these supermaterial realities so respond to the mind of the cosmos.

16:6.5 (192.1) The cosmic mind unfailingly responds (recognizes response) on three levels of universe reality. These responses are self-evident to clear-reasoning and deep-thinking minds. These levels of reality are:

16:6.6 (192.2) 1. Causation—the reality domain of the physical senses, the scientific realms of logical uniformity, the differentiation of the factual and the nonfactual, reflective conclusions based on cosmic response. This is the mathematical form of the cosmic discrimination.

16:6.7 (192.3) 2. Duty—the reality domain of morals in the philosophic realm, the arena of reason, the recognition of relative right and wrong. This is the judicial form of the cosmic discrimination.

16:6.8 (192.4) 3. Worship—the spiritual domain of the reality of religious experience, the personal realization of divine fellowship, the recognition of spirit values, the assurance of eternal survival, the ascent from the status of servants of God to the joy and liberty of the sons of God. This is the highest insight of the cosmic mind, the reverential and worshipful form of the cosmic discrimination.

16:6.9 (192.5) These scientific, moral, and spiritual insights, these cosmic responses, are innate in the cosmic mind, which endows all will creatures. The experience of living never fails to develop these three cosmic intuitions; they are constitutive in the self-consciousness of reflective thinking. But it is sad to record that so few persons on Urantia take delight in cultivating these qualities of courageous and independent cosmic thinking.

16:6.10 (192.6) In the local universe mind bestowals, these three insights of the cosmic mind constitute the a priori assumptions which make it possible for man to function as a rational and self-conscious personality in the realms of science, philosophy, and religion. Stated otherwise, the recognition of the reality of these three manifestations of the Infinite is by a cosmic technique of self-revelation. Matter-energy is recognized by the mathematical logic of the senses; mind-reason intuitively knows its moral duty; spirit-faith (worship) is the religion of the reality of spiritual experience. These three basic factors in reflective thinking may be unified and co-ordinated in personality development, or they may become disproportionate and virtually unrelated in their respective functions. But when they become unified, they produce a strong character consisting in the correlation of a factual science, a moral philosophy, and a genuine religious experience. And it is these three cosmic intuitions that give objective validity, reality, to man’s experience in and with things, meanings, and values.

16:6.11 (192.7) It is the purpose of education to develop and sharpen these innate endowments of the human mind; of civilization to express them; of life experience to realize them; of religion to ennoble them; and of personality to unify them.

PostPosted:  

More from Paper 16 on how the mortal epochs evolve to deliver us from materialism. Materialism is not capitalism. Materialism is the "love of money"...not the existence or use of capital or currency.

We are also clearly told the next stage of evolutiinary economics...and that has obviously already begun to appear...that is, if we can see the evidence and discern the trend and trajectory!

Those of us with the Revelation should certainly recognize this evolutionary process unfolding. I wonder though...do we?

16:9.7 (196.3) Unselfishness, aside from parental instinct, is not altogether natural; other persons are not naturally loved or socially served. It requires the enlightenment of reason, morality, and the urge of religion, God-knowingness, to generate an unselfish and altruistic social order. Man’s own personality awareness, self-consciousness, is also directly dependent on this very fact of innate other-awareness, this innate ability to recognize and grasp the reality of other personality, ranging from the human to the divine.

16:9.8 (196.4) Unselfish social consciousness must be, at bottom, a religious consciousness; that is, if it is objective; otherwise it is a purely subjective philosophic abstraction and therefore devoid of love. Only a God-knowing individual can love another person as he loves himself.

16:9.9 (196.5) Self-consciousness is in essence a communal consciousness: God and man, Father and son, Creator and creature. In human self-consciousness four universe-reality realizations are latent and inherent:

16:9.10 (196.6) 1. The quest for knowledge, the logic of science.

16:9.11 (196.7) 2. The quest for moral values, the sense of duty.

16:9.12 (196.8) 3. The quest for spiritual values, the religious experience.

16:9.13 (196.9) 4. The quest for personality values, the ability to recognize the reality of God as a personality and the concurrent realization of our fraternal relationship with fellow personalities.

16:9.14 (196.10) You become conscious of man as your creature brother because you are already conscious of God as your Creator Father. Fatherhood is the relationship out of which we reason ourselves into the recognition of brotherhood. And Fatherhood becomes, or may become, a universe reality to all moral creatures because the Father has himself bestowed personality upon all such beings and has encircuited them within the grasp of the universal personality circuit. We worship God, first, because he is, then, because he is in us, and last, because we are in him.

16:9.15 (196.11) Is it strange that the cosmic mind should be self-consciously aware of its own source, the infinite mind of the Infinite Spirit, and at the same time conscious of the physical reality of the far-flung universes, the spiritual reality of the Eternal Son, and the personality reality of the Universal Father?

8)

PostPosted:  

So...the evolutionary progress requires the expression of a collective experiential wisdom that unifies material and spirit realities. The UB teaches that the Golden Rule will deliver True Liberty AND material progress to civilization.

As we realize and embrace the family of creation, our expressions of that experience will deliver epochal progress toward our destiny.

71:5.3 (805.3) Throughout the earlier ages of any world, competition is essential to progressive civilization. As the evolution of man progresses, co-operation becomes increasingly effective. In advanced civilizations co-operation is more efficient than competition. Early man is stimulated by competition. Early evolution is characterized by the survival of the biologically fit, but later civilizations are the better promoted by intelligent co-operation, understanding fraternity, and spiritual brotherhood.

71:6.1 (805.5) Present-day profit-motivated economics is doomed unless profit motives can be augmented by service motives. Ruthless competition based on narrow-minded self-interest is ultimately destructive of even those things which it seeks to maintain. Exclusive and self-serving profit motivation is incompatible with Christian ideals—much more incompatible with the teachings of Jesus.

71:6.2 (805.6) In economics, profit motivation is to service motivation what fear is to love in religion. But the profit motive must not be suddenly destroyed or removed; it keeps many otherwise slothful mortals hard at work. It is not necessary, however, that this social energy arouser be forever selfish in its objectives.

71:6.3 (805.7) The profit motive of economic activities is altogether base and wholly unworthy of an advanced order of society; nevertheless, it is an indispensable factor throughout the earlier phases of civilization. Profit motivation must not be taken away from men until they have firmly possessed themselves of superior types of nonprofit motives for economic striving and social serving—the transcendent urges of superlative wisdom, intriguing brotherhood, and excellency of spiritual attainment.

8)

180:5.5 (1949.7) The golden rule, when divested of the superhuman insight of the Spirit of Truth, becomes nothing more than a rule of high ethical conduct. The golden rule, when literally interpreted, may become the instrument of great offense to one’s fellows. Without a spiritual discernment of the golden rule of wisdom you might reason that, since you are desirous that all men speak the full and frank truth of their minds to you, you should therefore fully and frankly speak the full thought of your mind to your fellow beings. Such an unspiritual interpretation of the golden rule might result in untold unhappiness and no end of sorrow.

180:5.6 (1950.1) Some persons discern and interpret the golden rule as a purely intellectual affirmation of human fraternity. Others experience this expression of human relationship as an emotional gratification of the tender feelings of the human personality. Another mortal recognizes this same golden rule as the yardstick for measuring all social relations, the standard of social conduct. Still others look upon it as being the positive injunction of a great moral teacher who embodied in this statement the highest concept of moral obligation as regards all fraternal relationships. In the lives of such moral beings the golden rule becomes the wise center and circumference of all their philosophy.

180:5.7 (1950.2) In the kingdom of the believing brotherhood of God-knowing truth lovers, this golden rule takes on living qualities of spiritual realization on those higher levels of interpretation which cause the mortal sons of God to view this injunction of the Master as requiring them so to relate themselves to their fellows that they will receive the highest possible good as a result of the believer’s contact with them. This is the essence of true religion: that you love your neighbor as yourself.

180:5.8 (1950.3) But the highest realization and the truest interpretation of the golden rule consists in the consciousness of the spirit of the truth of the enduring and living reality of such a divine declaration. The true cosmic meaning of this rule of universal relationship is revealed only in its spiritual realization, in the interpretation of the law of conduct by the spirit of the Son to the spirit of the Father that indwells the soul of mortal man. And when such spirit-led mortals realize the true meaning of this golden rule, they are filled to overflowing with the assurance of citizenship in a friendly universe, and their ideals of spirit reality are satisfied only when they love their fellows as Jesus loved us all, and that is the reality of the realization of the love of God.

8)

PostPosted:  

195:9.3 (2082.8) The teachings of Jesus, even though greatly modified, survived the mystery cults of their birthtime, the ignorance and superstition of the dark ages, and are even now slowly triumphing over the materialism, mechanism, and secularism of the twentieth century. And such times of great testing and threatened defeat are always times of great revelation.

Me here: Do you notice the "triumphing" of the Jesusonian Gospel? Can you see the decline of the "age of materialism"? Can you discern the evolutionary progress achieved and the momentum of its velocity? What of its arc of trajectory? The Revelation we discover and share here describes this flight of progression and its target and destiny and it assures us of God's love and mercy and paternal affection and the Divine power, purpose, and plan...do we see that?

To see only the error and evil in the world is to reveal our own blindness to reality we are taught. Such ignorance and prejudice cannot discover truth nor find reality and cannot respond to anything without fear and anger. What an unfortunate state of being to choose for ourselves. Where is our "reality response"? Such a one cannot see material or spiritual progress and loses hope and orientation to such blindness.

A clue to reality: What happens is far less important and has little meaning or value compared to our RESPONSE to what happens. And only the response to what happens can truly change what happens...and can change ourselves and our perceptions of reality! We choose how we respond to anything and everything...that is our God given right and only power to contribute to personal and planetary evolution and progress I think.

Such a profound understanding!! Our progressive spiritization does not merely change our perception of reality AND our response to what happens (reality too), but it actually changes reality itself. This is a result and reflection of the universal law of repercussions...the reaping of what is sown. The sowing of better seed in better soil has better outcomes, personally but also universally and eternally.

The realization and actualization of potential always creates and results in new and grwater potentials. The reality response is the expression of the realization of potential by the recognition of the actuality of truth, beauty, and goodness. This circuitry is reality and it endlessly expresses, experiences, and creates reality out of potentials while endlessly creating new potentials for further expression, experience, realization, and actualization.

Can we see that? Hmmm.... can we discern the connection between the ship's sail of spirit, the ship's hull/ballast of materialism, the ship's mast of philosophy connecting the sail and hull upon the waters of potential and driven by the winds of truth, beauty, and goodness?

130:4.4 (1434.3) A one-eyed person can never hope to visualize depth of perspective. Neither can single-eyed material scientists nor single-eyed spiritual mystics and allegorists correctly visualize and adequately comprehend the true depths of universe reality. All true values of creature experience are concealed in depth of recognition.