Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:30 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Meredith Sprunger
PostPosted:  
Site Admin

Dear GGC folks,
We learned that Meredith Sprunger, one of the earliest pioneers of Urantia Book outreach, and a former President of URANTIA BROTHERHOOD, departed this world shortly after Midnight, this morning in hospital in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Bidding farewell to such a gifted and spiritually significant mortal is difficult, but also uplifts us to send him on his way with our blessings.
Stephen Zendt, Walnut Creek, CA

Two memories of Meredith Sprunger stand out:
The second floor reading room at 533 Diversey was filled to overflowing on Sunday, May 19, 1957, at a meeting of what was then called the First Urantia Society. Many people who had not been there on Sundays in a long time came to meet the young pastor who had the audacity to tell his entire congregation in a small town in Indiana about the Urantia Book. Dr. Sprunger did not speak until the last half-hour. First, Dr. Sadler read paper 67, "The Planetary Rebellion." Some of Meredith's Culver, Ind., congregation were at this meeting, including the Grothauses (sp?), who years later settled in Arizona and hosted a study group in Sun City. They are no longer with us.
On Saturday evening, August 24, 1963, at the social session of what I think was the first Summer Study Seminar, Meredith gave his opinions on the future of the Urantia movement. He said that it has taken most religious movements in this country some thirty years to become nationwide and better-known, and he estimated it would be sometime in the 1980s when the Urantia movement would achieve a moderate degree of fame. He warned us to expect someday a great amount of publicity, either in the form of an attack by a fundamentalist preacher, or (less likely) favorable praise from someone well-respected. Sprunger felt that the future of the movement lay in two main camps: in our colleges and universities, and among progressive religious leaders.
I'll let the rest of you determine how great a prognosticator Meredith Sprunger was. He gave me permission to quote the above at a welcoming speech I gave at the first regional conference we held in Arizona in February 1982. Meredith and Irene were in attendance.
Bless you, Dr. Sprunger. May you and Irene be reunited on the mansion worlds and begin your great eternal adventure.
Larry Bowman
Grand Canyon Society
and General Council

Meredith was a very special mentor in my life. He was the one who gave my dad the Urantia Book when I was about six years of age. He was the person my parents went to for counseling when their marriage was falling apart, and he always took personal interest in our whole family’s wellbeing. He took time to sit and talk intimately with me about my life and my challenges, my personal spiritual progress, and/or whatever my pressing need might be at that time.
We saw one another regularly for at least two decades, at conferences or study sessions, or trips across country, and he was always available by phone or email whenever too much time had passed between face to face meetings. To me, Meredith was my first example of a true Jesusonian minister and teacher. He was never too busy to talk and his wisdom and guidance was thoroughly permeated with loving affection. His judgment always seemed very sound and reasonable and I respected and admired him more than words can say. I was closer to him than to many of my biological extended family and I have always considered him my personal spiritual grandfather. I feel so fortunate to have had him in my life for so many years. For a man of small stature, his character loomed very large indeed.
If not for his influence, who knows where I would be in my life today? I can’t imagine. I am very happy to know that he will be part of my life for eternity.
Christilyn Larson

Dear Friends,
Remember 10 years ago, at IC02, when we brought Duane and Lucile Faw and Meredith and Irene Sprunger up on stage in front of our Brotherhood, and sang, The Wind Beneath My Wings, to them and honored them as movement heroes? I'm so glad we did that for all four of them to let them know how much they mean to us.
Once again, to Meredith, Irene, Duane and Lucile:
Did you ever know that you're my hero
And everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle
For you are the wind beneath my wings

It might have appeared to go unnoticed
But I've got it all here in my heart
I want you to know, I know the truth, of course I know it
I would be nothing without you

Oh, the wind beneath my wings
You, you are the wind beneath my wings
Fly, fly away, you let me fly so high
Oh, you, the wind beneath my wings
Oh, you, the wind beneath my wings

Fly, fly, so high against the sky
So high I almost touch the sky
Thank you, thank you
Thank God for you, the wind beneath my wings!

In loving memory of four pioneers who are now all together again.
In faith and friendship....Paula Thompson

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Meredith Sprunger
PostPosted:  

And here's a letter from Meredith's daughter, Ruth...

RIP, Meredith...

Dear Friends,

I have bittersweet feelings this morning as I e-mail to tell you that my dear dad went to the mansion worlds this morning (April 17) at 12:47 a.m. He almost graduated on his 97th birthday which was April 16th. Yesterday early afternoon dad's assisted living facility called and said dad had gotten tired walking down the hallway and didn't want to eat his lunch. Wayne went over to take him to our local hospital for evaluation. I have had severe bronchitis since Easter Sunday, so I had not seen dad this past week and have been down most of the week.

Tests revealed that dad had some pneumonia and had had a small heart attack. His breathing was irregular and the physician admitted him. The doctor said if I wore a mask I could go up and see him last night which I did about 8:30 p.m. I'm so glad I did. We received a call after midnight that he had passed away peacefully. Wayne and I went to the hospital. Dad and mom had prearranged everything with Klaehn's Funeral Home in Ft. Wayne.

Grace is on her way down here this morning. We'll not have dad's memorial service until next month sometime (after I'm well). Details on that later. As you know, dad was a remarkable man, and I was so fortunate to have him as my father. Thank you for being a part of his and mom's life.

You may pass on this information to others if you wish and include my e-mail for contact information.
Prayers for his graduation journey ~ Ruth

Ruth Sprunger Payne Ruthie4101@comcast.net Grace Sprunger-Young gracenotes4you@gmail.com
4101 W. Friar Drive Colonial Drive
Muncie, IN 47304 W160 N 9693
Germantown, WI 53022

Post subject: Re: Meredith Sprunger
PostPosted:  

off to finalitership, we are all going sometime.

10:8.6 I once sojourned in a universe where a certain group of beings taught that the finaliters, in eternity, were eventually to become the children of the Deity Absolute. But I am unwilling to accept this solution of the mystery which enshrouds the future of the finaliters.