Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:29 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Brother Joe' memorial
PostPosted:  

I have been blessed brothers/sisters...

Not only for knowing our brother Joe, but by meeting him, and our countless offline conversations where I would pick his brain and he would ever so eloquently give me advise and gently present it to my fragile spirit at the time as only her could do... He truly gave me strength and I feel the ability to allow me to stand on my own two feet spiritualy, and face lifes battles without fear and say to the father I am ready... I am ready to do your will father.

I have been blessed once again because his family has asked that I share a story about him and say a few words at his memorial services... I would like all of us to pull together and give the best UB quote that we all feel represents him to us... His truthbook, family. Could you please give some advise on a quote that you would like to offer as something that most reminds you of him? After a sufficient ammount of quotes are put down I will then add a poll to this thread and we can vote on the top ones, then I will read that to his family at the memorial, and let them all know this is what WE all voted was the best way to sum up our feelings of our brother Joe. Thank you

love

your brother dave

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted:  

Somebody needs to say something about the Divine Feminine, then, because JoeR was stalwart in his efforts to exalt the Mother aspect of Deity ... be it the Divine Minister, Jesus' mother Mary, Sophia, Gaia, the adjutant mind spirits, his mortal sisters, or however She might manifest. JoeR respected women; he had great faith in them; and he had the healthiest approach to loving them as I have ever seen.

PostPosted:  

Dear Dave,

I would like to express a few words about my dear friend Joe Reza.

There are only a few times in this life when we know that we have been touched by greatness. I don't mean someone that can perform amazing feats on the baseball field or close million dollar deals. Joe Reza was a man that came into this world and let his light shine for all to see. He performed amazing feats of love, understanding, mercy, forgiveness, empathy, caring and compassion. If there was someone in this often dark world that I compare to the master it is our dear friend Joe. He may have objected to that comparison in this life, but you and I know that his love shone like the sun.

We know that everything in this world is temporary. No matter how much we love someone, no matter how much we care, we know that all of us must say goodbye some day. All that we cherish is temporary. And it is the relationships that we have experienced in this life that we cherish the most. If any one of us had the opportunity to have the choice of becoming a millionaire or to spend one more precious day with our loved one, it is obvious what we would choose. Why must we lose that which is most precious? We would all rather lose all of our possessions and wander homeless in the streets if it would mean that we could continue to live along with those whom we love the most.

But when we think about the temporary nature of our relationships, it gives us pause. It helps us to see what is most important. Because when all is said and done all that we have left is what we have built in our hearts. The treasure that we have been seeking has always existed within our own hearts. When I think of my beloved friend Joe it matters not what he may have accomplished in a material way in this life. He reached up to the highest heavens to attain the true prize. He knew that the greatest gift lay within. The infinite God that dwelt inside his finite mind. Our Heavenly Father gives us the most precious gift that anyone can receive. He gives all of us a part of Himself so that we begin to discern the real reason for our existence on this tiny and troubled world in a remote part of outer space.

What is particularly touching to my heart is that when Joe came to realize that there is a piece of God dwelling within he began to share himself with his fellow man. The indefatigable joy, zeal and zest that he had for life was infectious. He never had an unkind thing to say about anyone. Even if there was someone that behaved in an unkind or rude manner he would invariably respond with tact, wisdom, kindness and love. His love for a variety of subjects was endearing because he would use this knowledge to try to convince persons of all persuasions that there is a Creator. Yes, our dear friend Joe was filled with the grace of the Father. And we are all the better for having such a man come into our lives.

If anyone of us were to die today or to die tomorrow, what would we be remembered for? It is sobering to think about because none of us are guaranteed even a day. But if we spent each day trying to spread the love of the Father to the best of our abilities to our fellowman, then we have achieved more than a person that has won the Nobel prize. For what will be long remembered is the love that we have left behind. Love is like an energy that is built up in the hearts of our loved ones. And we know that we have done well when the love that resides in our hearts is shared. Far into the future when we are just mere dust, it is our love that will leave an indelible mark on this little blue stone in space.

I have been inspired by Joe's example to be a better person. When I feel the old me welling up inside I remember Joe and I say: "What would Joe have done?" No matter what abuse he may have experienced he would have handled it with love and understanding. Isn't that the way this world will change? When someone leaves us a sterling example for us to follow? For if each one of us changes as individuals then the earth will change. There is no being from Paradise that can cause us to change or that can change our world. We must do it ourselves. But just imagine if there was a world where people had a personality like Joe. Can you imagine the possibilities? The possibilities are endless. If we would just awaken for just a moment we can see that we can change the world through our own selfless acts. Isn't this what our friend showed us in this life?

For once upon this world a great light walked among us. Even though he was not perfect, he showed us the way. He touched our hearts and our lives in a way that we thought could not be possible from some mere mortal. If we would just throw out our preconceived notions about ourselves we could see that each of us can be the light that will change this world. Our dear brother Joe showed me that I too can be that light. I am just a mere candle that shines in the dark. My dear brother Joe was like a massive sun startling in its glory and brilliance. But his glory and his brilliance is as a result of the love that shone from him every day. Maybe one day, just like my dear friend Joe, this little candle that flickers in the dark will grow into a fiery blazing sun. Oh dear Father I pray, that my love will grow immeasurably like the love that Joe showed to us in this life.

Love,
Paul

PostPosted:  

that was absolutely beautiful brother Paul...

I loved how you said the "old me" I say that all the time too! And that's because we are born again... It's very hard for me to not adore brother Joe, because nobody deserves adoration except for our father but what makes me feel better when I praise my brother is the fact that he would tell me it's not me it's our father coming through me for you! So selfless... So honorable...

Joe was the first person that I learned about and loved who was a stranger to me before that and meeting him was just confirmation in my feelings... I share that same experience with Brother Jim Barry who gave me a huge hug when I first met him at IC08... Then again with Sister mary when I was engaged in heavy conversation also at IC08 I seen her and the room lit up and I loved her at first sight as well!

That weekend was life changing for me and just thinking of the love that I recieved and that I gave that weekend just tears me up everytime but Brother Joe did the greatest thing I have ever seen a human being do in my presence and that was volunteer his service to our other brother Mike (metaroc mike). As some of you know Brother Mike is wheel chair bound, and as some of you might also know brother Joe had a degenerative nerve disease that made it VERY difficult for him to stand for periods of time... He offered to Pick Mikey up and take him to IC08 to be with his brothers and sisters at that conference and then Joe asked me if I would like to go with him...

RIGHT THEN I KNEW I WAS IN THE PRESENCE OF OUR FATHER... I cried to myself because of witnessing such a kind act and then to be blessed enough to help... Later brother Joe told me he couldn't have done it without me... And being the emotional baby that I can be I wept! He made me take some responsibility for participating when really I felt like I did nothing... Joe seen that and made me realize that all three of us gave service to each other that day and that I needed to recognize how beautiful it was to be apart of that!

He was amazing...

through his fruits will he be judged and boy he could start a farmers market with all the fruit he has to give! I love him, and learned to love him like an actual brother... When I first started coming here to Truthbook I didn't know what to expect because aside from my childhood friend Jay I had never met another UB reader in my life so I half expected everyone here to call each other brother and sister, and it's also important to mention that I didn't even finish reading part four of the UB when I first joined truth book so lots of advanced truths were not revealed to me at that point in my life, but Brother Joe truly became my brother, and when I would call him I always said HEY BROTHER WHAT'S HAPPENING and he would respond to me with BROTHER DAVE!!! how are you brother?

Nobody ever gave two craps about me in my life as much as this random person did... How do you measure that?

I mean sure my parents love me, and I have a favorite aunt who loves me and is a great lady, but nobody reached in my soul and touched my spirit the way brother Joe did. He truly became my brother and I will always love him, and always remember him, and it's ok to want to be like him because even though we all have Jesus our master to want to be like, Joe had so much of Jesus in him... I can't imagine what it must have been like to be Peter, or Nathaniel, or any other of the Apostles and to lose him...

I almost feel like we had it easier because Joe wasn't all knowing and just spoke from his heart and Jesus would rebuke the apostles when it was necessary and even if Joe had the right too, or could have rebuked any of us for being unkind or maybe not being god like at times he never did... He just replaced any negatives with good and love... How many other brother Joe's go unnoticed just quietly doing the fathers will?

We were lucky to know him and have him as long as we did! think of how many other brother Joe's the world is missing? How does mother earth recover?

We have a lot of making up to do brothers/sisters! I for one like you brother Paul am inspired... Someone has to take the riens and finish this race...

Sister Gerdean,

I think you are right someone should mention how much Joe loved women, and how important it was to him to give credit to the femine aspect of diety... I will do my best to represent that, and thank you for bringing that to my attention.

On another note though it's important to also mention that brother Joe was blind... He did not see race, gender, creed, religion, or any specifics he only saw child of god.

love

your brother dave

PostPosted:  

Brother Dave
Check out the things some brothers have been saying about our dear brother Joey. Check topic IN MEMORIAM the 9th topic down from the top. There are some very good things said on this thread you might consider some for the funeral.

God bless Dave......Jess

PostPosted:  

Honestly Dave, you could just read what you posted here as part of your memorial at Joe's service. It is beautiful and heartfelt. You are such an expressive person, and so honest in your emotions...

Also, so of the other things that have been posted by others are quote beautiful and moving.

Here's a quote of Jesus' that I read at a Urantia Book reader's memorial once. She was also a person who exhibited the love of Jesus with others: (bold is mine)

Quote:
“Peace be upon you. That which my Father sent me into the world to establish belongs not to a race, a nation, nor to a special group of teachers or preachers. This gospel of the kingdom belongs to both Jew and gentile, to rich and poor, to free and bond, to male and female, even to the little children. And you are all to proclaim this gospel of love and truth by the lives which you live in the flesh. You shall love one another with a new and startling affection, even as I have loved you."

http://www.truthbook.com/index.cfm?linkID=1443#U191_6_2

Joe did love with that kind of "startling affection," I think...

I know that whatever you decide to do, all will be touched by your remembrances of our brother Joe...

With Love,

PostPosted:  

I had no clue that JoeR was blind. I sensed he had some kind of an affliction, but would never have guessed he could not see. How can somebody who is blind navigate the internet the way he did? He had a filing system that wouldn't quit, and carried on reams of conversations with all manner of people on all manner of lists, maneuvering his way through what had to be a maze of passwords and technology to minister to people and proselyte his very noble beliefs. What a worker in the field. And he was all the time traipsing off to some part of the country (or the world!) visiting with people, sharing his faith. I tell you, in light of this piece of news that JoeR was blind, I feel like a real bump on a log. No question about it; to my mind, he was taken off the planet so he could fuse.

PostPosted:  

I don't think bro Dave means that our Joer was literally blind... he can't have been, i sent him photo's of me and my children, he made comment on my pic...and he sent me photo's of his daughters too...

All the best bro dave with your speech.... i feel you have a similar loving personality as Joer had....

blessings to all

Love Sarah xxx

PostPosted:  

Thank you sister Sarah for clearing that up...

Sorry sister Gerdean for not typing clear enough I get so passionate and caught up that I sometimes completely misspell words or put them in the wrong order and they often get misunderstood... SORRY :oops: :-$ :-#

I just meant that he never needed to look at anyone to make a judgement on them for being ether male, or female, or a different race, or creed and I just meant that to him it didn't matter what someone was only that they were a child of god... I'm so sorry you must have racked your brain trying to puzzle that one and even judged yourself as a bump on a log because of it! :biggrin: :lol: I'm so sorry but if it makes you feel better you just made me laugh so hard I that I spit my drink on the computer screen! LOL oh that's a good hardy laugh! I haven't laughed like that since I heard about brother Joe but I am coming around, and I have been reading a lot about the Mansion worlds and even though I have read them before it's different to me now...

love your brother dave

PostPosted:  

I'm glad to have that clarified, Tasneem, and I'm glad it gave you a good guffaw, Brother Dave.
All's well that ends well ... whether that be a story or a life.

PostPosted:  

:biggrin:

Love Sarah

PostPosted:  
Site Admin

The memorial for Joe Reza, known as "Joer" in the "Spiritual" discussion board, will be held at Ursuline high school on Old Redwood Highway, Santa Rosa, CA, on August 22, at 11 am. There will be a slide show and then something to eat. If you plan to go, please RSVP, and tell all the "Urantia people" about it. You can email me (paradise_pilgrim@yahoo.com) to Rsvp, and I will let them know. Joe is back home in his urn. They plan to scatter the ashes in three different places after the memorial.

PostPosted:  

Joseph Howard Reza

Age 57, of Santa Rosa, CA passed away Monday July 20, 2009 surrounded by his daughters and sisters while traveling in Mexico. He was born October 30, 1951 in San Francisco. Joe was a devoted member of Resurrection Catholic Church and a regular volunteer in the community at Ursuline High School. He was an avid fisherman, hunter, naturalist, and adventurer. His travels were extensive, as were his interests and ranged in diversity from Urantia to Native Americans on Alcatraz to facebook. He was a dedicated "Popi," and embraced his daughters throughout their lives filling them each with his sense of adventure, charity and social justice. He will be forever remembered for his joy and his love and devotion for all whom were fortunate enough to cross his path. Joe is survived by his daughters, Katia, Sara Maria and April "Pimpo"; his sisters, Sara, Jackie and Kathy; his stepmother; brothers-in-law; aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, nephews, his granddaughter, Krystal and countless friends worldwide. A celebration of Joe's life will be held on August 22nd at Ursuline High School, located at 90 Ursuline Rd; Santa Rosa, CA 95403. A Funeral Mass will begin at 11:00 a.m. at the Chapel in Ursula Hall, followed by a spaghetti feast and a Life Celebration. In lieu of flowers, the family is requesting donations be made in his name to Ursuline High School, Santa Rosa, CA

"love is all there is that's real"...