Urantia Book Forum

Urantia Book Discussion Board : Study Group
It is currently Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:08 am +0000

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Paper 72
PostPosted:  

Hi all,

I have been thinking about paper 72 lately, in light of our own world and how crazy things have become.

It seems to me that if there was one specific paper that truly was meant to offer humanity a road map to the future, Government on a Neighboring Planet would do the trick.

It even states: 72:12.3 This recital of the affairs of a neighboring planet is made by special permission with the intent of advancing civilization and augmenting governmental evolution on Urantia.

So the big question for me is this: In what way or ways, should we follow the example of the country being described in Paper 72? (Which I have dubbed, "The Federation")

Should we also allow certain people to have more voting power?
Should we isolate and become self sufficient?
Should government decisions come from the regional and local level (in the UB this country has a very small federal government)
Could more be done to combat "degeneracy"?
How do we transition from the profit motive to the service motive?
How do you think most new readers would respond if this was the introduction to the Urantia Book?

Those are my questions

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Paper 72
PostPosted:  

Jim,
Very interesting thread topic! Thanks for starting it. Personally, I think our world is still much too far behind the evolution of this neighboring planet's government as to be able to make much of a start on most of the items you listed (great list, by the way!). Of the ones you listed, I'd say we are best positioned, currently, to possibly make advancements along the lines of transitioning from the profit motive to the service motive. I think one (among many) of the potentially positive outcomes of this current pandemic is a realization of the fleeting nature of economic prosperity and the importance and value of the service industries. Consider the societal value of, say, school teachers and grocery store workers in our current context vs. the value of hedge fund managers and bank executives?

"How do you think most new readers would respond if this was the introduction to the Urantia Book?"

You know, it's hard to say. So much depends on the individual. I know, for me, when I first read the book, paper 72 freaked me out quite a bit (and I am a person who enjoys the idea that there are other inhabited planets with sentient beings residing on them). Many people I know see life on other planets as only hostile in nature toward humans on earth, which I've never understood. I often ask them, why do you assume they would be aggressive to us or try to harm us? If they are sophisticated enough to conduct space travel (or develop a civilization on another planet), they must be evolutionarily equal or beyond our society, which, to me, means they are more apt to be MORE compassionate, MORE friendly, and MORE helpful than any of us would be in their place.

So, I think having paper 72 be the introduction to the book would probably skew the reception in a net negative direction, but it would also be provocative for those who are open minded about life on other planets.

PostPosted:  

I see P72 as a glimpse into the future, a preview of what we can accomplish when we get our act together on a planetary basis. We need to visualize this, but we are so far from it. Patience, as well as impatience, and the efforts of sufficient numbers of people in leadership roles throughout the world will be required.

There are social experiments taking place everywhere, and we can support them as to our means and ability. But we all need to assess ourselves honestly, even objectively, and do what is possible for us to do. Great social movements start one person at a time, and requires time. As individual personalities we do great things right where we are, right now, if it is with God, and for our brothers and sisters.

I guess I don't feel qualified to answer your specific questions, does anyone else have a clue?

(I was writing this when Agon was posting. Great response!)

PostPosted:  

Thanks for your response.

I agree that the pandemic has made all of us realize that the economy is fleeting, and it has brought families closer together. I just hope we don't slip into soft tyranny because of it. There is a lot of power grabbing going on and our current leadership is embarrassing. If we adopted leadership as is described in Paper 72 we would be so far advanced by now, but I digress. And there is the quote that "These people recognize that, when fifty per cent of a nation is inferior or defective and possesses the ballot, such a nation is doomed. " (Paper 72:9:8)

I also wonder what time period this other world is in that would be comparable to us; perhaps they are just starting their industrial age? they are travel bound so maybe they just invented motor or transport vehicles? It would be interesting to know if they are slightly behind us or slightly ahead in terms of technology.

Another interesting thing is how similar that country is to the United States. We have been around for almost the same amount of time, we have 50 States they have 100, they are self-sufficient and we were as well, until recently; they have universal voting rights as do we, they have what looks like a three tiered Republic, which we have also.

No doubt our similar paths makes the story all the more fascinating (and why they shared it with us, no doubt).

As to Paper 72 being an introduction to the UB, young people today grew up on Star Wars, Close Encounters, Star Trek. I think these shows have prepared us for the idea of intelligent life being elsewhere, and to my knowledge, there is no book in existence that actually narrates the "home life" of another world in this kind of detail, so I think most younger people would love to hear this story, and especially against the backdrop of the universe being intelligently guided.

PostPosted:  

Good topic for the times. Consider also this Midwayer statement from Paper 195:

195:3.9 (2074.4) Even a good religion could not save a great empire from the sure results of lack of individual participation in the affairs of government, from overmuch paternalism, overtaxation and gross collection abuses, unbalanced trade with the Levant which drained away the gold, amusement madness, Roman standardization, the degradation of woman, slavery and race decadence, physical plagues, and a state church which became institutionalized nearly to the point of spiritual barrenness.

PostPosted:  

You are so spot on Rick, I am very familiar with that quote. Even a revelation such as the Urantia Book will not find enough receptivity in this generation, enough so to prevent a societal breakdown, which we are experiencing.

I have always suspected the UB arrived when it did, as with all revelations before, because we peaked as a race or species. Now, we are sliding backward, truth is a hazy concept and the real teachings of Jesus are being lost to materialism.

Paper 72 reminds us that "when over 50% of the population is ignorant, a nation is doomed." We are probably the most progressive nation on earth, and yet we, the great empire of the modern age, are sliding backward.

Is there any hope then? Is the UB community ready to keep truth alive so that when the next Bestowal comes, we will be able to greet Him?

PostPosted:  

i'll take a stab at it:

Should we also allow certain people to have more voting power?

hmm thinking of this ub statement, "Representative government presupposes an intelligent, efficient, and universal electorate", i'd say "no" but assuming an intelligent electorate isn't working out so maybe some should have less voting power. or hey how about do away with the electoral college and at least equalize it lol

Should we isolate and become self sufficient?

no, paper 72 says this other country should be bringing the best of their barbarian neighbors in to educate them and send them out to aid world progress. and they at much more of a threat then we are...and yet "Although this nation maintains adequate defense against attack by hostile neighbors, it pays far more attention to the training of statesmen, scientists, and philosophers." we could learn from that.

and it says this country is replete in natural resources and we aren't...for instance you can't make gasoline without some heavy crude and the usa only has light. we get the heavy from canada and mexico.

Should government decisions come from the regional and local level (in the UB this country has a very small federal government)

oh boy i dunno...obviously the ub says as society advances it requires fewer regulations. i think the emphasis on the home this other country has as being the foundation of society is what we lack that would help decrease gubmint

Could more be done to combat "degeneracy"?

again the home thing and also the mandatory child rearing classes they have and an overall more emphasis on intellect and morals as i recall

How do we transition from the profit motive to the service motive?

slowly ;)
Quote:

71.6 The Profit Motive

71:6.1 Present-day profit-motivated economics is doomed unless profit motives can be augmented by service motives. Ruthless competition based on narrow-minded self-interest is ultimately destructive of even those things which it seeks to maintain. Exclusive and self-serving profit motivation is incompatible with Christian ideals - much more incompatible with the teachings of Jesus.

71:6.2 In economics, profit motivation is to service motivation what fear is to love in religion. But the profit motive must not be suddenly destroyed or removed; it keeps many otherwise slothful mortals hard at work. It is not necessary, however, that this social energy arouser be forever selfish in its objectives.

71:6.3 The profit motive of economic activities is altogether base and wholly unworthy of an advanced order of society; nevertheless, it is an indispensable factor throughout the earlier phases of civilization. Profit motivation must not be taken away from men until they have firmly possessed themselves of superior types of nonprofit motives for economic striving and social serving - the transcendent urges of superlative wisdom, intriguing brotherhood, and excellency of spiritual attainment.

How do you think most new readers would respond if this was the introduction to the Urantia Book?

dunno but concerning government this might be a better start:

Quote:
70:12.5 (798.4) Urantia mortals are entitled to liberty; they should create their systems of government; they should adopt their constitutions or other charters of civil authority and administrative procedure. And having done this, they should select their most competent and worthy fellows as chief executives. For representatives in the legislative branch they should elect only those who are qualified intellectually and morally to fulfill such sacred responsibilities. As judges of their high and supreme tribunals only those who are endowed with natural ability and who have been made wise by replete experience should be chosen.

70:12.6 (798.5) If men would maintain their freedom, they must, after having chosen their charter of liberty, provide for its wise, intelligent, and fearless interpretation to the end that there may be prevented:

70:12.7 (798.6) 1. Usurpation of unwarranted power by either the executive or legislative branches.

70:12.8 (798.7) 2. Machinations of ignorant and superstitious agitators.

70:12.9 (798.8) 3. Retardation of scientific progress.

70:12.10 (798.9) 4. Stalemate of the dominance of mediocrity.

70:12.11 (798.10) 5. Domination by vicious minorities.

70:12.12 (798.11) 6. Control by ambitious and clever would-be dictators.

70:12.13 (798.12) 7. Disastrous disruption of panics.

70:12.14 (798.13) 8. Exploitation by the unscrupulous.

70:12.15 (798.14) 9. Taxation enslavement of the citizenry by the state.

70:12.16 (798.15) 10. Failure of social and economic fairness.

70:12.17 (798.16) 11. Union of church and state.

70:12.18 (798.17) 12. Loss of personal liberty.

70:12.19 (798.18) These are the purposes and aims of constitutional tribunals acting as governors upon the engines of representative government on an evolutionary world.

70:12.20 (799.1) Mankind’s struggle to perfect government on Urantia has to do with perfecting channels of administration, with adapting them to ever-changing current needs, with improving power distribution within government, and then with selecting such administrative leaders as are truly wise. While there is a divine and ideal form of government, such cannot be revealed but must be slowly and laboriously discovered by the men and women of each planet throughout the universes of time and space.

[/quote]